Honest Question: What Motivates You to Play WvW This Year?

Whiteout.1975

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped caring about winning and PPT within my first year of playing. WvW is a lot more fun when you don't get so invested in it that you're suddenly angry because you lost a tower or the zerg you're a part of wiped in a fight.

I love WvW because I don't feel depended on to do something specific and I can just float around doing my own thing. I still have motivation to defend/capture things and get in to fights because I love combat in GW2 and some matches I care more about the outcome of the score, but it's never the primary reason I play.

You want the most honest answer though? I'd never have even started playing if my social life didn't evaporate 6 years ago, never mind how am I _still_ playing. I'm really not a big gamer, but when you have nothing to do other than eat/work/sleep IRL, a distraction helps.

> @"ArlAlt.1630" said:

> > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > > @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> > > I only just recently started playing it. It's fun but leveling up can be a pain, especially since I don't get many pips at my low level. One thing I do like about it is the siege warfare, its more unique than what you get in pvp or pve. Its pretty fun to test out new weapons and different abilities that aren't often used in the other game modes.

> > >

> > > I do have a couple complaints:

> > > I wish the mist map was used more often. It looks really nice but as it is it feels like an afterthought. Anet should try and make it more relevant to the game.

> > > The pip reward chest compared to the pvp ones feel very lacking.

> > > I wish there was actually four unique maps instead of 3 maps one of which is just mirrored.

> > >

> > > Fixing this would go a long way to improve the game.

> >

> > Eotm used to be more popular than the borderlands because it was intetworlds. It was like the casual hub. But anet nerfed it. :/

> >

> > Made wvw maps more profitable which was great. But eotm was beautifully designed . It needs more love

>

> EotM should've never existed, while the map design is cool, it promoted toxic behavior and unhealthy Ktraining. It was intended as the kids playground, however it failed in that, it never provided a motivation for the kids to grow out of it.

How is that different from wvw now?

> @"ArlAlt.1630" said:

> > > @"ArlAlt.1630" said:

> > > > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > > > > @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> > > > > I only just recently started playing it. It's fun but leveling up can be a pain, especially since I don't get many pips at my low level. One thing I do like about it is the siege warfare, its more unique than what you get in pvp or pve. Its pretty fun to test out new weapons and different abilities that aren't often used in the other game modes.

> > > > >

> > > > > I do have a couple complaints:

> > > > > I wish the mist map was used more often. It looks really nice but as it is it feels like an afterthought. Anet should try and make it more relevant to the game.

> > > > > The pip reward chest compared to the pvp ones feel very lacking.

> > > > > I wish there was actually four unique maps instead of 3 maps one of which is just mirrored.

> > > > >

> > > > > Fixing this would go a long way to improve the game.

> > > >

> > > > Eotm used to be more popular than the borderlands because it was intetworlds. It was like the casual hub. But anet nerfed it. :/

> > > >

> > > > Made wvw maps more profitable which was great. But eotm was beautifully designed . It needs more love

> > >

> > > EotM should've never existed, while the map design is cool, it promoted toxic behavior and unhealthy Ktraining. It was intended as the kids playground, however it failed in that, it never provided a motivation for the kids to grow out of it.

> >

> > How is that different from wvw now?

>

> The difference is that outside of T1 you can actually HOPE, capital H, to get some semi-balanced WvW group fights.

>

Semi balanced wvw fights?

> @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> > > @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> > > I only just recently started playing it. It's fun but leveling up can be a pain, especially since I don't get many pips at my low level. One thing I do like about it is the siege warfare, its more unique than what you get in pvp or pve. Its pretty fun to test out new weapons and different abilities that aren't often used in the other game modes.

> > >

> > > I do have a couple complaints:

> > > I wish the mist map was used more often. It looks really nice but as it is it feels like an afterthought. Anet should try and make it more relevant to the game.

> > > The pip reward chest compared to the pvp ones feel very lacking.

> > > I wish there was actually four unique maps instead of 3 maps one of which is just mirrored.

> > >

> > > Fixing this would go a long way to improve the game.

> >

> > Eotm used to be more popular than the borderlands because it was intetworlds. It was like the casual hub. But anet nerfed it. :/

> >

> > Made wvw maps more profitable which was great. But eotm was beautifully designed . It needs more love

>

> Wow that's really depressing to hear. Sucks that I missed out on that. Seriously, you'd think they try and improve both edge of the mist and the wvw maps to try and retain as many players as possible. I just wish you could get pips from eotm. Its such a waste to have such a great looking map left wasting for no reason whatsoever.

What he wrote is a bit misleading. EOTM was a karma and champ bag train for PvE players and popular for that, not necessarily because it was interserver. Anet nerfed that. It died off a lot due to that. There were still some people that played it after that nerf. The most recent nerf was adding pips to WvW and that killed it finally.

As for the OP's question: friends, something to do with people I know.

> @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> Trying different builds against others.

>

> Coming up with weird ways to win in fights.

>

> Learning the game more.

>

> It's still fun To play with friends. Getting updated with our guys like how are they etc.

>

> It's like mirc or chat. Hang out together.

>

>~~ If you are drained and tired and find no reason to play, take a break. :)~~

>

> ~~I also hate the game sometimes but after a break, I come back and continue to feed the game~~

Everything you have listed is what I used to love in this game mode. The problem I ran into, eventually, over the years, is what might be described as a sense of worthlessness. I feel like just another number with no real value to the game. When people/friends appreciate my efforts is one thing. Yet, I don't feel that from GW2. When I am in WvW I don't feel like I'm truly achieving anything worthwhile in-game. Let me describe it in another sense . . .

- I/we could maybe go play a game of hide and go seek, let's say. We might both have fun for some time perhaps . . . But that doesn't lead anywhere further. Then I/we naturally would get bored and just stop playing for a while.

- This is my issue with WvW. Yet, I still enjoy what you've listed; honestly, I think it's great you still feel that way.

However, let me dig deeper into the issue. For me, I could, and I would have fun with friends in other games too. I still chat with friends from GW2 these days, but elsewhere (like Discord or another platform). These two situations I happen not to need WvW (or Gw2) for; this has been going on for years now personally. So what do we got left? "Trying different builds against others" and "Coming up with weird ways to win in fights." I used to love these things very much, so I can relate. The problem I have is that the fights feel like they do not matter. I believe why I have this "worthless" feeling in WvW.

For me, I need a real sense of progression via competition. WvW carries this sort of "for shits and giggles" way about it; not exactly "competitive." This general carelessness ultimately conflicts with my desire for real competition. I was hoping Alliances (if they ever come) would create this real sense of honest competition. Yet, because fights, win or lose, don't matter ultimately, I lost my incentive to play. I hope that makes sense, and I respect where you're coming from @"Sovereign.1093".

> @"Whiteout.1975" said:

> > Trying different builds against others.

> >

> > Coming up with weird ways to win in fights.

> >

> > Learning the game more.

> >

> > It's still fun To play with friends. Getting updated with our guys like how are they etc.

> >

> > It's like mirc or chat. Hang out together.

> >

> >~~ If you are drained and tired and find no reason to play, take a break. :)~~

> >

> > ~~I also hate the game sometimes but after a break, I come back and continue to feed the game~~

>

> Everything you have listed is what I used to love in this game mode. The problem I ran into, eventually, over the years, is what might be described as a sense of worthlessness. I feel like just another number with no real value to the game. When people/friends appreciate my efforts is one thing. Yet, I don't feel that from GW2. When I am in WvW I don't feel like I'm truly achieving anything worthwhile in-game. Let me describe it in another sense . . .

>

> - I/we could maybe go play a game of hide and go seek, let's say. We might both have fun for some time perhaps . . . But that doesn't lead anywhere further. Then I/we naturally would get bored and just stop playing for a while.

> - This is my issue with WvW. Yet, I still enjoy what you've listed; honestly, I think it's great you still feel that way.

>

> However, let me dig deeper into the issue. For me, I could, and I would have fun with friends in other games too. I still chat with friends from GW2 these days, but elsewhere (like Discord or another platform). These two situations I happen not to need WvW (or Gw2) for; this has been going on for years now personally. So what do we got left? "Trying different builds against others" and "Coming up with weird ways to win in fights." I used to love these things very much, so I can relate. The problem I have is that the fights feel like they do not matter. I believe why I have this "worthless" feeling in WvW.

>

> For me, I need a real sense of progression via competition. WvW carries this sort of "for kitten and giggles" way about it; not exactly "competitive." This general carelessness ultimately conflicts with my desire for real competition. I was hoping Alliances (if they ever come) would create this real sense of honest competition. Yet, because fights, win or lose, don't matter ultimately, I lost my incentive to play. I hope that makes sense, and I respect where you're coming from @"Sovereign.1093".

It does not matter is indeed the issue. The question therefore is how to make it matter. And that's the Dev problem. What is the plan?

My broken record, I'd still like to have a real open world pvp version of the mega server, but GW2 combat and movement still has a tactile feel that keeps that part of my brain hooked and WvW is free enough for now to bring my build around and check out different scale fights. I also like our server, old and new players/transfers, apart from mostly good attitudes most of them usually sync up with you or whoever is working on something without a lot having to be said.

Nothing, tbh.

I have played GW2 from release until end of 2013. Then a loooong break. I came back to it 2019 and I started PvE (catching up ... lots of stuff to do) first.

Then later (starting with the previous season) PvP - which I remembered fun from back then. It is still fun. Though some maps had been changed and I liked the old versions more.

WvW ... I remember I had played it back then 2012/13 a lot until I liked PvP more (which I did not try a lot at first). I did it for achievements when I came back 2019 and when PvE dailies hat some annoying stuff. But ... there weren't many commanders on the map. Back then (I play on the weak server underworld) even on underworld we had chatting and commanders happening. Now with the linked servers when I joined there wasn't many stuff going on. Felt bored and I left after doing my dailies

And now when I started PvP again I do just the dailies there which most of the time is enough for the 2g and the 3/3. (As long as I'm not at a loss streak.)

I saw the desert map and the other small map (edge of the mist or whatever it is called). Since I prefer tactical play and team fights between 10-20 vs. 10-20 that Edge of the Mists concept seemed intersting. But every time I joined it was empty. And WvW basically is just taking the stuff and losing it you you can retake (for rewards and achievements) ... if you try to defend ... some big zerg. (Until at some time when not much players are online it gets retaken when you are outnumbered.)

I don't feel any motivation. I might join for reward tracks when I'm getting bored with PvP (and when finished most rewards there) and when I have caught up in PvE (still tons of stuff left for me to do there).

But if I don't see lots of chatting and at least 1 commander at prime time ... I might leave again.

Edit: There seems to be a less overall population and the fun Obsidian Sanctum is empty. And less queues I notice. I remember even on Underworld - low populated server - back then there were queues at certain times. With that server linking it doesn't feel like "fighting for my server" anymore. I liked playing on Underworld in 2012/13 and I have never changed the server since starting with the game at headstart 2012 and chosing it. I liked when we still tried to fight back against stronger servers. That felt fun. People chatting and commanders. Different feeling.

Few different reasons but the main reason I've stayed around this long is I've been on NSP since the games launch and I found a great guild I enjoy spending time with. I keep playing just because I enjoy spending time with them for the most part and we have fun together. Other than that...

* Shoving people off cliffs is always fun

* Golem rushes because it brings back such fond memories lol

* Porting into keeps and getting called a hacker because enemies still don't sweep, plus port bombing enemies. Even if ANET takes my one remaining dodge I shall continue to play mesmer!

* Being annoying. Disabling siege even when I know a towers lost, putting supply traps down, building siege golems and trebs to defend camps, wasting all the supply before an enemy can cap an objective, general sneaky shenanigans, etc.

* The randomness of it all. Sometimes I run around WvW as a quaggan or a giant snowball and sure, most of the time a ranger will pew pew me to death because thats what they do, they press rapid fire, but sometimes a whole group of enemies will go into tonic form with you and just have a fun little impromptu party. I've never forgotten one night where our guild was getting destroyed and I randomly suggested we should all be quaggans and maybe they'd let us pass by. Sure enough we waddled right past the enemy zerg as they waved and jumped around us, until one particularly bitter ele started throwing fire at us but the rest of them were still pretty chill lol.

* Random events like MM necromancer night or playing a mesmer zerg using the Ascalonian Mage potion so that the entire zerg and all of our clones all looked exactly the same. Its pretty funny.

WvW went from a mode were everyone can had an impact to : only blobs, zergs and groups are impactfull.

I lost my motivation when they made it guild only gamemode at HoT release and a subpar of PvE a little before.

And I don't even need to write wall of text about how powercreep and structure/siege weapon balance accentuate this.