Fishing in Guild Wars 2

Drake.1840

> @Zionka.6897 said:

> We have a decidedly obvious gap in having fish dishes in game.. sooooo many things you can cook, and I enjoy it, but no fish? I agree that fishing would be a nice, simple addition to add this to a chef's menu.

This. And we have splendid underwater areas as well as spears and harpoon guns to go fishing with. It's on the verge of criminal that all these ambient fishes and more dangerous preys don't drop anything of value apart from T6 scales for the bigger ones. This would be a very easy way to give a bit more relevance to the underwater game.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I feel we already have fishing in the game. We just do it 'old school' style and actually jump in the water and hit the fish with our weapons until they're dead... Then we harvest the fish for treasure that it may have inadvertently eaten, and/or take their flesh for putting in recipes or selling to the local merchant for a few coppers...

:)

Thanks for all the comments folks. Range of opinions that were very much appreciated.

Kiza.5630 , I looked at that link. Yeh, i like it also! glad you showed me that. As an aside I have got a couple friends into GW2 in the last 2 weeks. Look forward to seeing some of you in game perhaps. :)

If your friend is that interested in fishing, recommend him to play Lotro (lord of the rings online), some of the area's in that game are really nice to just chill and fish. the fishing itself can also give you fish to use in taxedermy, which can than be placed in your house (which is reletivaly cheap for the smallest house).

I liked it's fishing more than WoW's fishing, which felt pointless most of the time not really a point to it.

> @Gwaihir.1745 said:

> Never seen a well implemented fishing system in a game ever. Lets not add it here.

This!!!! And STOP comparing GW2 to OTHER games. Geez each game is separate and different for many reasons. Go play your games with fishing, housing, marriage etc if you want it that badly. Let GW2 devs make and improve current content instead of wasting resources on silly stuff like topic etc. SMH

I would absolutely LOVE fishing (wow style ... don't hate me) in GW2. I love GW2 but sometimes when I log in I don't want to do dailies, I don't want to do achieves... I just want to log in and just find a nice quiet place to park my little Ranger or my big Norn Mesmer and kick her shoes off and just enjoy the calmness of catching the big one! I also want to be able to make a fire of my own and to pitch a tent... AWESOME!! Is that asking for too much? Sometimes my characters get tired of saving the world. :)

> @Tasida.4085 said:

> > @Gwaihir.1745 said:

> > Never seen a well implemented fishing system in a game ever. Lets not add it here.

>

> This!!!! And STOP comparing GW2 to OTHER games. Geez each game is separate and different for many reasons. Go play your games with fishing, housing, marriage etc if you want it that badly. Let GW2 devs make and improve current content instead of wasting resources on silly stuff like topic etc. SMH

It isn't a waste if people will play it... and it may be silly to you but not to others...

• 2 months later...

Fishing is an extremely easy activity to bot, and its hard for the Devs to detect, mainly because its an extremely simple activity which just relies on simple repetitive moves.

If you make the activity complex so botting is difficult, then no one will do it .

I played around with fishing in both WOW and Lotro and it just breeds armies of automated fishers.

About the only way to make it work would be to make any items found via fishing account bound so they coudnt be sold on the TP, but then again no one would do it.

I don't see the appeal in having to hover your mouse cursor over a semi-random spot on the screen and wait for a semi-random moment to left click (which is how most of the fishing has been in the MMOs I've played, they have to do it that way so bots can't auto-fish). You can't type, you can't look away to other screens, if you have a boost on you're fretfully watching the timer to make sure you don't have the boost run out mid-cast. I think BDO has some more active fishing, but in my few days of trial in that game I couldn't figure out how it worked, ergo, the "too complex" mauried mentioned, and still a grind because BDO.

So if it was a node, sure. Run up, get a fishing animation that lasts the same time as any other gather, move on. That likely wouldn't satisfy those yearning for fishing like in other MMOs, but it would fit the faster play of this game.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> So if it was a node, sure. Run up, get a fishing animation that lasts the same time as any other gather, move on. That likely wouldn't satisfy those yearning for fishing like in other MMOs, but it would fit the faster play of this game.

Why faster play?

It could be a node, which take about 1 hour of channeling and when it's done you get anywhere from a blue boot to green pants someone threw in the water. Realistic.

> @"Drake.1840" said:

> Hi Folks,

> I’m new to Guild Wars 2. I have played plenty of mmo games over the years and have to say this one is shaping up to be the best I’ve seen. Well done to the developers and hats off to the community that seems like a fairly mature bunch.

> I would fish and enjoy it. For what it’s worth, I have friends and family that would fish if it was available in game. I have been trying to encourage a particular friend recently to play. He had three questions.

> 3. Can I fish?

> Add your voice below.

Fishing in GW2 is a little different from other games, most games have this stupid boring process involving poles, and bait and a whole lot of just waiting.

GW2 has very interactive and dynamic fishing process, where you gear up, and jump in the water and kill the fish yourself. Sometimes ... the fish kills you.

You ain't gonna find that in any other fishing game.

OP, Try the search option before posting redundant topic that has been discussed and dismissed a zillion times. You will have to find the backup of the original forums( don't have the link) to see the other zillion discussions (hyperbole , but the topic has been dead for a long time). Fishing ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

If fishing is done like it is in ArcheAge with some tweaks it would be a amazing addition to gw2. I would recommend making a mastery line for fishing but this line is different than most since it will be working towards a gold farm pretty much. It would require much more exp/grind than any other line. It will also be solely lvled through fishing. The high your mastery lvl the better fish you are able to catch aka more gold. There should also be a high risk high reward mechanic involved, such as a certain event popping up in the specific fishing areas and if not dealt with the current fish you have will be eaten and you can no longer fish in that area (there was word of open world pvp last expansion, if it is implemented in the next expansion with fishing, that can be the high risk factor). The high reward is the price of the fish.

ArcheAge fishing was the best MMO experience I ever had hands down. Defending my 100g+ haul with the fishing squads against pirate ships were literally moments I will never forget.

> @"Blude.6812" said:

> OP, Try the search option before posting redundant topic that has been discussed and dismissed a zillion times. You will have to find the backup of the original forums( don't have the link) to see the other zillion discussions (hyperbole , but the topic has been dead for a long time). Fishing ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Same with mounts and dps meters....oh yea raids too!