New Accounts and Mount Availability Solution - [Merged]

The free 2 play model is the core problem for adding mount rentals/a mount to the core map. If the game was not f2p, Anet would have implemented the mounts. To help new players to adjust to the new environment, they made new player guide recently and it explains all we need to know as a new player. So, the argument that mount rentals to be added to the core maps is not such a good idea.

We can differentiate the new player into 2 categories

1. A person who will buy the game

This person will play the base game and enjoy it without getting bothered by the mounts in core maps since he knows he is getting them. This helps Anet since its essentially brings money to them.

2. A person who can't buy the game

This person feels the game is unfair and might leave when he sees the mounts but cant get them, this situation helps the Anet since this decreases the server load and helps them indirectly to cut costs. Some people will stick around and will eventually buys the game later since they invested time into the game.

From the way I see it there is no need for Anet to implement mount rentals to core maps.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"disForm.2837" said:

> I'm truly a new player, no previous experience with the game. Not having a mount wasn't an issue at all while levelling up. Yes, i got a tad envious of people zipping by me on raptors or flying on their beautiful skyscales. I read about mounts, saw it was a future content stuff and moved on. I never felt the need or any issue, you don't get left behind if you are just levelling and doing your own stuff at your pace. The couple of times i happen to be on a map with a meta event, well, i tagged what i could, got my rewards. Dailies are mostly a non issue, almost never had the required map open to be able to finish them, so i didn't care at all.

>

> Now, if you get into a guild, it's a problem for guild missions and other group content, since everybody have their mounts. Two options, the whole group dismount just for you (and i personally would feel bad, since ik i'm slowing down 30 people to accommodate the noob), or you are late to everything and the group have to wait for you.

>

> My biggest issue with mounts it's "when" you get them. I planned to play the game in order, LWS2, HoT, etc, etc. I really like the story, developments etc. Then i faced the problem, it would take a while to get a mount (i can't play for hours every day). My guildies are very nice people but i don't want to slow them down more than i already do. Also, doing dailies become a thing, so now a mount also became important. Meta events? ditto. So i caved and got my mount in PoF, tried to ignore the dialogues, just finish the first mission and went back to my schedule.

>

> Tl;DR: I think mounts are not an issue for L<80. They are an issue for fresh L80 players who wants to play in order and enjoy some group content at the same time.

I used to do a lot of riding with bikers with all different kinds of bikes. Our first rule was "max speed is the max speed of the slowest member". You'd be surprised how often that carries over into other things.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > @"Opopanax.1803" said:

> > > >

> > > > > A possible solution: make a mount like raptor available from outposts like a rental npc (such as in Dragonfall's skyscale rentals); or incorporate this into any vendor for only a copper or two. This wouldnt be a perfect solution, but it would at least make up some of the difference for not having completed the POF story.

> > > > >

> > > > Players would not need to do PoF. They would just use the rental mount.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > There are no rental mounts now, that is the point.

> >

> > Right. So, Anet implements rental mounts and new players do not purchase PoF because they have a mount that they can use for a few coppers. Where is the incentive for Anet to do this?

>

> 1. you lose the mount the moment you're attacked or attack

> 2. it would be the basic mount so nothing upgraded

> 3. it would be the mount without custom skin

> 4. you will lose currency

> 5. you need to walk all the way back to get a mount back

>

> so the question is more, even with the disadvantages, why not?

Because the coppers you spend on that mount do not go into ANet's coffers. They aren't going to make any money off of it, and it's a big waste of development time to put out something that will never show a return on investment. Especially given the hypothetical in which you introduced this: A player that won't buy the expansion because they already have a mount.

Have a mount that free account players can use to give players who are trying out the game a sample of the games mounts. This could entice players to buy the full game to acquire the remaining mounts.

A light simple new mount or a modified version of an existing one may be suitable for this purpose.

New potential customers deserve this. ;-)

[https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution#latest)

I disagree with the premise in the OP. I don't believe giving free mounts wound entice anyone to purchase the expansion. Why would they when they could just use a free mount?

Also, the game is already free. New, potential customers do not "deserve" more free stuff.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> [https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution#latest)

> I disagree with the premise in the OP. I don't believe giving free mounts wound entice anyone to purchase the expansion. Why would they when they could just use a free mount?

>

> Also, the game is already free. New, potential customers do not "deserve" more free stuff.

Maybe not deserving so but a simple sample mount may entice one to get a non-simple sample mount.

Let's call this a free account for potential buyers thread instead of a mounts thread.

Things that free accounts should get as the game matures and gets new things grafted on. Maybe one free season or one episode from each season. Maybe one free elite specialization to sort of stay competitive. Or just a more encompassing taste of what the game has to fully offer..

> @"Zahld.4956" said:

> > [https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution#latest)

> > I disagree with the premise in the OP. I don't believe giving free mounts wound entice anyone to purchase the expansion. Why would they when they could just use a free mount?

> >

> > Also, the game is already free. New, potential customers do not "deserve" more free stuff.

>

> Maybe not deserving so but a simple sample mount may entice one to get a non-simple sample mount.

>

> Let's call this a free account for potential buyers thread instead of a mounts thread.

>

> Things that free accounts should get as the game matures and gets new things grafted on. Maybe one free season or one episode from each season. Maybe one free elite specialization to sort of stay competitive. Or just a more encompassing taste of what the game has to fully offer..

There is a lot of game to offer for free. I don't think that it would be in ANet's best financial interest to offer more free things. If they did, then they would have to make up the difference elsewhere by increasing costs for expansions or raising prices in the gem store. I also don't think it is right to give things free to new accounts when players who have been playing for 7+ years have had to pay for them.

For me, I plan to put my faith in Anet's team as they have the information and statistics to know what value should be placed on what content in order to satisfy their shareholders and keep the game financially stable enough to continue.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> [https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution#latest)

> I disagree with the premise in the OP. I don't believe giving free mounts wound entice anyone to purchase the expansion. Why would they when they could just use a free mount?

Because it's like that "Banker Golem" thing I still get on new characters, that expires after two weeks and doesn't work any more. It's a teaser, and it sends you mail when it expires explaining how to get a permanent mount (er, by buying the expansion, duh).

To me it's a case of "why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free?". Lots of new players have played the game w/out mounts. Upon release of the game, everyone did, because there were no mounts, and yet, the game's still here, and still actively updated. Maybe a bit slower this year, but that's hardly the game's/dev's fault, and certainly isn't because nobody's getting free mounts.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > [https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/108023/new-accounts-and-mount-availability-solution#latest)

> > I disagree with the premise in the OP. I don't believe giving free mounts wound entice anyone to purchase the expansion. Why would they when they could just use a free mount?

>

> Because it's like that "Banker Golem" thing I still get on new characters, that expires after two weeks and doesn't work any more. It's a teaser, and it sends you mail when it expires explaining how to get a permanent mount (er, by buying the expansion, duh).

That’s one possibility. A cheap (not free but a few gems), temporary gemstore Mount that expires after X amount of time.