Feedback - Changes to Dragon Arena. Dragonbash 2020

I'm not a big festival player in this game. While I understand the value to the game, it's just always stood out on a short list of content that I considered "not for me"... When most festivals launch I will go spend an hour or two going through it, maybe do the activities once or twice, enjoy the polish and care the developers and artists add, look at the rewards that are added in case there is something I want to chase...and that's pretty much it.

If Arenanet does anything I consider "throwaway content" to me, it's things like Super Adventure Box or Lunar New Year.

No criticism of the content as a whole or the people whole actively enjoy it, I certainly understand why these things are there.

It's just historically been something that was "not for me".

As such I just didn't play it. No harm, no foul.

Last Year's Dragon Arena (2019) was one of my favorite pieces of festival content ever added to this game.

It was fun, engaging, not stupidly rewarding and easy to just jump in and do without a premade team. I spent a lot of time bashing holograms. I liked the challenge of the bosses, they were "just hard enough" for side content. It never failed but there was still an incentive to "go hard" on the minions to stack the buff. The Eye managed to claim it's share of victims with it's retal if no one bothered to strip/corrupt, and it hit the that "sweet spot" with me that festival content so rarely does. Freezie (2018 version) stands out as another piece of Festival content I truly enjoyed.

So every time a festival came out, FotFW, Wintersday, SAB, my friend and I would look at it for a bit and then one of us would say "I can't wait for Dragonbash to come back" or "I miss Dragonbash". Then we would return to our regular routine of dailies, farming map currencies, a few strikes here and there, and WvW.

I was pretty stoked for it's return.

I even did a special gear set/build on one of my toons out of excitement.

Enter Dragon Arena 2020 and...

You nerfed it.

You nerfed it pretty hard.

I excitedly popped back into the Arena after bashing a few pinatas and felt deflated. I asked myself if it was just a good random squad I had lucked into so I did it again but the changes are pretty obvious. Then I jumped into the survival mode and for various reasons, it just didn't scratch the same itch for me.

The bug fixes were nice for sure, but ultimately the 2020 version of the Arena felt like the sequel to a movie you loved that entirely missed the mark.

I'm not going to fall back on tired armchair dev speak. I'm not going to pretend I represent anyone other than myself. I'm not going to make a list of the changes I don't like, (you know what these changes are better than anyone). I'm not going to offer solutions, I feel pretty confident that Arenanet understands their game and players better than I do. I'm not going to indulge in backhanded economic threats to take my wallet and go home.

I understand you had reasons behind these changes.

But as a pretty engaged player in this game, you took away something I really liked, hollowed out a piece of repeatable content that I was looking forward to, and rather having something relatively fresh to do for a few days, I'm back to my usual routine of map currencies, dailies, a couple of strikes and WvW.

Your changes missed the mark with me and left me a little disappointed.

I didn't notice the bosses in arena were nerfed but it seems alot of times we are fighting with 6 or 7 instead of 10 and kill them just as fast so maybe.These rewards are good right now. I mean the daily's are 100 candy and that's 1.8g for like 1 lap or 30 minions or 1 boss. I feel like theres less demand for coffers.

I had some fun farming the Dragon Bash Arena with guildies. To me the bosses felt more annoying than difficult, if you don't have anyone with boonstrip you're basically just standing still at the Eye until the retal wares off so that you don't kill yourself, or ressing everyone that didn't stop attacking. There isn't any danger of failing any of them for sure.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> I had some fun farming the Dragon Bash Arena with guildies. To me the bosses felt more annoying than difficult, if you don't have anyone with boonstrip you're basically just standing still at the Eye until the retal wares off so that you don't kill yourself, or ressing everyone that didn't stop attacking. There isn't any danger of failing any of them for sure.

Well I needed a rez there too. Didnt know that burning procced retal, now I do. :P Shit thing about that is that even when I am not attacking I am still getting 875 retal times X back...

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > I had some fun farming the Dragon Bash Arena with guildies. To me the bosses felt more annoying than difficult, if you don't have anyone with boonstrip you're basically just standing still at the Eye until the retal wares off so that you don't kill yourself, or ressing everyone that didn't stop attacking. There isn't any danger of failing any of them for sure.

> Well I needed a rez there too. Didnt know that burning procced retal, now I do. :P kitten thing about that is that even when I am not attacking I am still getting 875 retal times X back...

>

Yeah I forgot the Eye did that, ran in with my Tempest to overload. It didn't end well.

> @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> There's also just so... little to do.

More or less expected for 2nd year and beyond for festivals

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> I had some fun farming the Dragon Bash Arena with guildies. To me the bosses felt more annoying than difficult, if you don't have anyone with boonstrip you're basically just standing still at the Eye until the retal wares off so that you don't kill yourself, or ressing everyone that didn't stop attacking. There isn't any danger of failing any of them for sure.

at least you can see the retal on it and strip it which is better than the Cold War strike boss ...

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > I had some fun farming the Dragon Bash Arena with guildies. To me the bosses felt more annoying than difficult, if you don't have anyone with boonstrip you're basically just standing still at the Eye until the retal wares off so that you don't kill yourself, or ressing everyone that didn't stop attacking. There isn't any danger of failing any of them for sure.

> Well I needed a rez there too. Didnt know that burning procced retal, now I do. :P kitten thing about that is that even when I am not attacking I am still getting 875 retal times X back...

>

Conditions (burning) ticking do not deal retaliation damage, so it was likely a skill/trait/effect that was still active that was dealing the retaliation damage to you. Something like Rune of the Firebrand's effect for example, or if you had used Barrage and it keeps hitting for several seconds after the skill has been used.

The damage of the retaliation is from the boss' stats, so it will always hit everyone for 875 retal damage.

> @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> It's so "engaging" that there is another thread about people AFKing, to no ones suprise, of course. "Team work" MMO style.

>

>

That kind of person will find a way to AFK anywhere and has nothing to do with the event at all. It's the same type of person who just presses 1 a few times at world bosses then tabs out, or just leaves their turrets up whilst they go make breakfast.

This is my experience:

This Year: Friends and I que (raiders), we get matched with other experience players. (Going by DPS Meter)

Last Year: I qued solo (friends did not care about the rewards), I was matched with a lot of newer players. (Going by DPS Meter)

More pro players doing the events are going to make it easier. If the reward are getting more seasoned players to join, that's a good thing.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

>

> I'm not going to make a list of the changes I don't like, (you know what these changes are better than anyone).

I appreciate the rest of your post, and thank you for the overall reasonableness of it. However, this one choice seems off to me. Given the posts by those who either don't see a difference, or who attribute changes to "more pro players" in the content, everyone does not seem to be on the same page. It might at least be conducive to the discussion in the thread for you to go into any changes you see.

Also, if ANet were interested in making a change, assuming that they will know what bothers you is not a good idea. I also don't expect them to change anything. However, who knows, maybe the horse will sing.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > I had some fun farming the Dragon Bash Arena with guildies. To me the bosses felt more annoying than difficult, if you don't have anyone with boonstrip you're basically just standing still at the Eye until the retal wares off so that you don't kill yourself, or ressing everyone that didn't stop attacking. There isn't any danger of failing any of them for sure.

> > Well I needed a rez there too. Didnt know that burning procced retal, now I do. :P kitten thing about that is that even when I am not attacking I am still getting 875 retal times X back...

> >

>

> Conditions (burning) ticking do not deal retaliation damage, so it was likely a skill/trait/effect that was still active that was dealing the retaliation damage to you. Something like Rune of the Firebrand's effect for example, or if you had used Barrage and it keeps hitting for several seconds after the skill has been used.

>

> The damage of the retaliation is from the boss' stats, so it will always hit everyone for 875 retal damage.

>

Well that is weird, I was not attacking, I did have him with lots of burn stacks. and I got about 15k of damage back...

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> I appreciate the rest of your post, and thank you for the overall reasonableness of it. However, this one choice seems off to me. Given the posts by those who either don't see a difference, or who attribute changes to "more pro players" in the content, everyone does not seem to be on the same page. It might at least be conducive to the discussion in the thread for you to go into any changes you see.

My post was not intended as yet another platform for the forum's armchair developers or make-believe community activists. I'm done to death advocating and discussing the challenge/difficulty level of this game. It brings out the worst of this community on both sides and nothing new is said.

All I wanted to do was offer my personal feedback to Arenanet to the changes.

> Also, if ANet were interested in making a change, assuming that they will know what bothers you is not a good idea.

I'm sure they know where to find me if clarification is desired.

>I also don't expect them to change anything. However, who knows, maybe the horse will sing.

Nor do I.

But the forum's primary purpose is to provide feedback.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > I had some fun farming the Dragon Bash Arena with guildies. To me the bosses felt more annoying than difficult, if you don't have anyone with boonstrip you're basically just standing still at the Eye until the retal wares off so that you don't kill yourself, or ressing everyone that didn't stop attacking. There isn't any danger of failing any of them for sure.

> > Well I needed a rez there too. Didnt know that burning procced retal, now I do. :P kitten thing about that is that even when I am not attacking I am still getting 875 retal times X back...

> >

>

> Conditions (burning) ticking do not deal retaliation damage, so it was likely a skill/trait/effect that was still active that was dealing the retaliation damage to you. Something like Rune of the Firebrand's effect for example, or if you had used Barrage and it keeps hitting for several seconds after the skill has been used.

>

> The damage of the retaliation is from the boss' stats, so it will always hit everyone for 875 retal damage.

>

> > @"Yggranya.5201" said:

> > It's so "engaging" that there is another thread about people AFKing, to no ones suprise, of course. "Team work" MMO style.

> >

> >

>

> That kind of person will find a way to AFK anywhere and has nothing to do with the event at all. It's the same type of person who just presses 1 a few times at world bosses then tabs out, or just leaves their turrets up whilst they go make breakfast.

Indeed, that is true for all MMOs. That's what i meant with the "team work", you do all the work, they get the same rewards. Nothing new here.