The Year is 2020 and...

And we still don't have a translation for us Brazilians.

[First, I'm sorry for bad english]

It's amazing how many Brazilian players stop playing this game, because of a "simple" translation.

The game is magnificent, the story is magnificent, the company is magnificent.

But this is an MMORPG, it is a lot of information that goes unnoticed and that ends up leaving players discouraged.

I say skills, history, builds and a lot of more informations

In the year 2017 a form was even made and sent to the company, where countless players asked ArenaNet to give us attention, equal companies of even smaller sizes gave us, so that there was a translation for the game.

And the answer was a disaster for ArenaNet, unfortunately.

And today, I came back on a video on youtube, where people keep asking: 2020 and there is still no translation? It's a great game, but it gets complicated without a translation ... it's a shame.

So ArenaNet, will you still ignore us?

"simple" translation?

You do realize that there are hundreds of hours of voice messages, many ten-thousand lines of texts and, even more crucial, hundreds of more languages in this world where always someone will mourn that there is no translation?

How many other MMOs are fully translated into Portuguese? How many other world wide games at all?

It must be hard trying to enjoy the game fully without a translation, kudos to you (and the entire Brazilian GW2 community) for sticking with this as long as you have!

As @"Nokomis.5076" said, I'm not sure it's at all easy to translate an entire game, and I would only expect them to do so if they calculate that enough money will come out of Portuguese-speaking players as a result. I think your best bet would be to have some sort of fan-translation effort at this point.

> @"Nokomis.5076" said:

> "simple" translation?

>

> You do realize that there are hundreds of hours of voice messages, many ten-thousand lines of texts and, even more crucial, hundreds of more languages in this world where always someone will mourn that there is no translation?

>

> How many other MMOs are fully translated into Portuguese? How many other world wide games at all?

this basically. translation is not free. especially if you want fully voiced everything. other popular languages like Dutch/Russian/Hindi/Polish/Japanese/Vietnamese/etc. aren't offered too.

an MMORPG or any game for that matter has to choose which languages it would support with it's budget (current and past). you could argue "but the Chinese version of GW2 is translated" there, but those translations are funded and handled by their local publisher. so unless Brazil gets a local publisher for GW2 and releases a data centre for that region, that chances are very very very low.

with the Anet team's size and budget they'd prioritise resources into things that would apply to all of their clients/players. not saying it's impossible, just that it's very unlikely to happen

For the record this isn't something ArenaNet has to do. Anyone is free to translate the parts of the game they see fit, and an addon can implement the translation, using screen-reading, overlays and other methods already used in existing tools.

Its just that no one wants to do it, probably for much the same reasons the devs don't.

As far as I'm aware, U.K. players don't have their own _translation_ either.

Swiss people don't have their own _Swiss German_ version either.

The Portuguese/Brazilian/Angolan player base simply isn't big enough for Arenanet to hire someone to translate the game.

Most people have to bite into the sour apple and play in U.S.A. English.

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> I always wondered why they couldnt add textual translation. Subtitles and the like.

>

> No idea if there is an API code for voiced or text dialogue in the game, but if there is it would make it possible for a community-run subtitle (maybe even dub) addon/overlay or something.

You don't need an API for it. You can use a screen reader (OCR), because in this case everything you'd want to translate already appears on the screen as text, you'd just have to overlay it in a way that makes the translation readable too.

You only need APIs for things that aren't easily visible during gameplay.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> I always though Portuguese understand Spanish without much problems.

Those two languages are as different from each other as they are from Italian or French.

I had two Brazilians in my Spanish lessons in school and they just barely passed.

How to translate big content (any kind) without spending a penny? Simple! Create an affiliation with a solid translation system that rewards associated translators with good in-game reputation (a.k.a. not botters, trollers and etc.) for their time and resources spent with virtual things (gems, skins... shiny things in general).

I'm a headstart player (played early 2012 closed beta weekends) and I am brazilian too. It makes me utterly ashamed that folks from Brazil still come here asking the same kitten again. Everyone here understands the challenges a company faces when localizing a game and so do I, and it pisses me off that they mention the country as if we all had the same opinion when, in fact, that's far from true.

I never saw the need for a translation and I still do not see the need.