Two questions for the Octovine experts

1. Octovine North: when EXACTLY do you have to use the herbicide spray instead of the turrets? When I asked that in game nobody seemed to know. Also, information concerning this in the wiki and in youtube vids seems to be contradictory somewhat. What the hell are those "tendrils" the wiki article talks about?

2. Octovine South: does bunny-engage work on the bomb (i. e. pushing it)? Tried that in game but because of all the things going on it's so hard to tell if there is an effect.

1. Short Answer: Never. Long Answer: Still Never. When the vines covering the octovine is up you have build your turret inside of the vines. There is a bit of a sweet spot for this as well as too close or too far seems to have problems. The correct mechanics is that you are supposed to use the herbicide to destroy the vines when they are up so you don't have to build your turret inside the poison unfortunately that mechanic has been buggy/broken for a very long time which is the reason for the previous instructions.

2. It is moved by push, push, launch, blowout, knocback,etc. CCs that would normally move their targets. The bunny engage would only be useful when it is stuck in the vines. The bomb will have a breakbar at that point.

I've run the meta hundreds of times successfully, and commanded it quite a few.

The spray does nothing; its a holdover from other events in the map and they just re-used the same bundle item which works properly elsewhere. Contrary to popular belief, its not supposed to remove the brambles around the Octovine; they're damaged just fine by turrets (which are also meant to be used at like 2000 range by charging them like siege in WvW), and the reasons for putting turrets inside the brambles, is because when the Octo becomes vulnerable from losing its stacks, the brambles disappear anyway.

That's technically an exploit, but "tricks" like that are prevalent through the game and the devs rarely seem to care. But you can slowly clear the brambles with turrets from the outside and this happens from time to time in PUG maps.

Mounts don't help much with the bomb, the most powerful skill for it is Spectral Grasp (Necro), which can move it further than any other skill in the game, since its a pull with an incredible range of 1200 (even the most powerful pushes are half that.)

Little known fact: In addition to the 27 chests underground, there's 49 or 50 small chests around pylons, etc. Since these chests don't give rare quality items, its still possible to multimap them with excess Exalted Keys.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> I've run the meta hundreds of times successfully, and commanded it quite a few.

>

> The spray does nothing; its a holdover from other events in the map and they just re-used the same bundle item which works properly elsewhere. Contrary to popular belief, its not supposed to remove the brambles around the Octovine; they're damaged just fine by turrets (which are also meant to be used at like 2000 range by charging them like siege in WvW), and the reasons for putting turrets inside the brambles, is because when the Octo becomes vulnerable from losing its stacks, the brambles disappear anyway.

>

> That's technically an exploit, but "tricks" like that are prevalent through the game and the devs rarely seem to care. But you can slowly clear the brambles with turrets from the outside and this happens from time to time in PUG maps.

>

> Mounts don't help much with the bomb, the most powerful skill for it is Spectral Grasp (Necro), which can move it further than any other skill in the game, since its a pull with an incredible range of 1200 (even the most powerful pushes are half that.)

>

> Little known fact: In addition to the 27 chests underground, there's 49 or 50 small chests around pylons, etc. Since these chests don't give rare quality items, its still possible to multimap them with excess Exalted Keys.

I am 100% sure when the meta was first released, the spray worked correctly and removed the vines around the octovine. Somewhere in the next year after release it was changed/became bugged and has never worked since.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> That's technically an exploit

I would be carefull to call such a thing an exploit. Using an exploit is against the user agreement and saying someone is breaking the user agreement is harassment (and also against the user agreement). (And so is also telling you this, so let's start by saying that we are all forgiven and this is for the sake of argument)

An exploit is a bug that gives an unfair advantage.

First off you can discuss wether or not it is a bug. Both mechanics involved are working as intended. It might not have showed during testing, but the reason it is in-game as it is will always be an assumption and there can be many arguments to call it a bug just as there are many to call it a feature or as intended.

More important is the unfair advantage. I do not see how helping get the entire map their reward quicker is giving anyone involved an unfair advantage.

Tl;Dr

It is not an exploit.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > That's technically an exploit

>

> I would be carefull to call such a thing an exploit. Using an exploit is against the user agreement and saying someone is breaking the user agreement is harassment (and also against the user agreement). (And so is also telling you this, so let's start by saying that we are all forgiven and this is for the sake of argument)

>

> An exploit is a bug that gives an unfair advantage.

> First off you can discuss wether or not it is a bug. Both mechanics involved are working as intended. It might not have showed during testing, but the reason it is in-game as it is will always be an assumption and there can be many arguments to call it a bug just as there are many to call it a feature or as intended.

>

> More important is the unfair advantage. I do not see how helping get the entire map their reward quicker is giving anyone involved an unfair advantage.

>

> Tl;Dr

> It is not an exploit.

>

>

and it is balanced in this case. If the turret is built inside you have to take constant damage from the poison stacks. Maybe avoidable from the side but ... weird hitboxes and invisible walls might get in the way. If built further away you can be in a much safer spot.

or maybe ANet could go and fix the bug with the spray ... it would be pretty funny(and stupid) if ANet banned people for this "exploit" without also fixing the bug. Just imagine all the fun the PR team can have with that!