NOT running with SB

SlitheSlivier.1908

does anyone use a thief and doesn't run around wvw with shortbow?

I'm thinking for my rifle DE to bring a second rifle, instead of shortbow, with condi cleansing sigils to help against condi builds when roaming.

Can't decide and was wondering if anyone does something similar. For PvP is probably a bad idea, but roaming wvw, i find i only use SB when chasing other thieves up ledges or in small group fights to just tag all the npcs at a camp to get more exp.

My burst builds use P/D as the main damage set and rifle as more of a ranged support, with cleansing and energy sigils on rifle. That mostly works because I have a S/D daredevil with shortbow in one build template and a full nomads permastealth DE in another, so I can use those two builds to set up the burst build meaning I don't need so much utility in them. I wouldn't overlook shortbow in PvP like you say though.

My builds DE version is Rifle + d/p or s/d for extra climbing where Death's Retreat wont reach. Death's retreat is what I normally cleans with and I usually don't think about it beyond that but there's also Shadowstep or traits. I think you should take some times using Death's Retreat in sort of the same way you would Withdraw but de-targeted and try to get to where you can instinctively land DR where you want (I have max camera pan speed and I de-target and face camera, not character yet like I would with Withdraw and sort of flick myself with the Rifle, hard to explain). Also test scaling any obstacles like walls around ruins and different topography to see where you can climb ledges. Most importantly, landing DR where you want without awkward overthought and not using About Face lets you position quickly or break line of site if you're near stuff, for example some of those walls you can scale like in front of EB blue keep.

I really like D/P for countering targets that Rifle is weak against. You've got a solid burst, gap closers, and control abilities (with Sigil of Absorption, you've also got some good boon-ripping capability as well); Deadeye has good initiative management and several ways to enter stealth without burning most of your initiative on the Black Powder combo in combat, which imo makes it the most fun D/P variant to play because you get to really see the utility and control aspects of the weapon set.

If you're worried about how you'll escape enemies without shortbow 5, you can always just put Shadow Portal on your bar.