Sunstone Lump & Nugget Demand Surge

Hello,

I am a grow lamp producer. It is where I make the bulk of my gold. Over the past week I have noticed the demand for the sunstone lumps and nuggets and the prices are spiking. Other than grow lamp and matt to craft dawn precursor. I cant think of anything these gems are useful.

Any idea what could be the sudden cause of the demand and prices for them?

I'll just point out that you should be wary of demand numbers. It's easy for someone to post a thousand 1c bids that inflate the stat without actually changing anything. You can't really trust it. Supply numbers are more reliable though and the dramatic decrease in supply is a good explanation for the rise in price. Of course this raises the question of why the supply is falling, are people buying more than they used to (does look like average daily sales are up), or are fewer being produced/brought to market (worth checking the "offered" stat)?

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> If supply is decreasing then you would have to figure out why people are mining less iron(and maybe gold)

Ah, BINGO!

I also used to farm iron here and there but with Anet giving it away all the time in drizzlewood and bonus boxes there's no point really.

Oh it drops from iron and silver nodes btw it seems, not gold.

> @"Friday.7864" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > If supply is decreasing then you would have to figure out why people are mining less iron(and maybe gold)

>

> Ah, BINGO!

> I also used to farm iron here and there but with Anet giving it away all the time in drizzlewood and bonus boxes there's no point really.

> Oh it drops from iron and silver nodes btw it seems, not gold.

Lump from gold, nuggets from silver according to wiki and both from iron.

> @"Arcteryx.2850" said:

> I'll just point out that you should be wary of demand numbers. It's easy for someone to post a thousand 1c bids that inflate the stat without actually changing anything. You can't really trust it. Supply numbers are more reliable though and the dramatic decrease in supply is a good explanation for the rise in price. Of course this raises the question of why the supply is falling, are people buying more than they used to (does look like average daily sales are up), or are fewer being produced/brought to market (worth checking the "offered" stat)?

The super low bids - and this affects everything on the TP, even legendaries - is annoying and does stuff up the supply versus demand calculations. If nothing else, if Anet prevented bids lower than the vendor price, that would remove the majority of bids. That's the sheer volume of the bids, as you point out, there's a very large proportion of 2c, 5c, etc, bids.

They already prevent you putting on an item for a lower net value than if you vendor trashed it. So even if you wanted to sell your sandstone lump for 1c, you can't because of the selling algorithm. The vendor prices are known for each item. A clean-up of the TP _could_ be done by removing all bids lower than vendor price (taking the 15% TP cut into account).

The price for lumps startet to rise about the same time the quartz price sank, so maybe one of the reasons was, that people wanted to sell their now cheaper charged crystals.

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

>

> The super low bids - and this affects everything on the TP, even legendaries - is annoying and does stuff up the supply versus demand calculations. If nothing else, if Anet prevented bids lower than the vendor price, that would remove the majority of bids. That's the sheer volume of the bids, as you point out, there's a very large proportion of 2c, 5c, etc, bids.

>

> They already prevent you putting on an item for a lower net value than if you vendor trashed it. So even if you wanted to sell your sandstone lump for 1c, you can't because of the selling algorithm. The vendor prices are known for each item. A clean-up of the TP _could_ be done by removing all bids lower than vendor price (taking the 15% TP cut into account).

Bids lower than the vendor price are already prevented, but I agree, that the age-old bids that are now impossible to fill should be removed.

But this would change nothing for legendaries, because they have no vendor-value, which I think is good as a safety measure.