What to do with ranger in PvP?

NorthernRedStar.3054

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> Just do what most rangers do:

> Longbow and Greatsword

> Jacaranda

> as many immobilizing utility skills as possible

Spam autoattack and rapid fire in the most cancer low skill braindead spec imaginable and win like 75% of all fights.

Honestly the best thing that could ever happen to ranger is longbow was nerfed hard, it stifles any and all build creativity and it's not like ranger doesn't have a ton of other great weps to fall back on.

> @"Atticus.7194" said:

> > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > Just do what most rangers do:

> > Longbow and Greatsword

> > Jacaranda

> > as many immobilizing utility skills as possible

>

> Spam autoattack and rapid fire in the most cancer low skill braindead spec imaginable and win like 75% of all fights.

>

> Honestly the best thing that could ever happen to ranger is longbow was nerfed hard, it stifles any and all build creativity and it's not like ranger doesn't have a ton of other great weps to fall back on.

I think ranger Longbow should be brought in line with Warrior's Longbow and Rifle, Guardian's Longbow and Revenant's Hammer.

They all aren't too great, but still useful.

A hard nerf into unviability wouldn't be something I'd like to see though.

However, I think it needs to be reduced to a maximum range of 1200, with Point-Blank Shot being a maximum of 900 (or preferably 600) range.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Atticus.7194" said:

> > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > Just do what most rangers do:

> > > Longbow and Greatsword

> > > Jacaranda

> > > as many immobilizing utility skills as possible

> >

> > Spam autoattack and rapid fire in the most cancer low skill braindead spec imaginable and win like 75% of all fights.

> >

> > Honestly the best thing that could ever happen to ranger is longbow was nerfed hard, it stifles any and all build creativity and it's not like ranger doesn't have a ton of other great weps to fall back on.

>

> I think ranger Longbow should be brought in line with Warrior's Longbow and Rifle, Guardian's Longbow and Revenant's Hammer.

> They all aren't too great, but still useful.

>

> A hard nerf into unviability wouldn't be something I'd like to see though.

> However, I think it needs to be reduced to a maximum range of 1200, with Point-Blank Shot being a maximum of 900 (or preferably 600) range.

That's fair in addition to a rapid fire cooldown increase

I've had moderate success with a condi trapper soulbeast. I know, I know... trapper runes.... ugh. But!

(1) **27K HP. merged with pet.** Albeit with 0 additional toughness, can reconfigure to have 19K HP with 900 toughness on Rabid amulet if power enemies are a concern.

(2) **6 sources of immob**, ranging from 9.5s to 45 s CD, with several at 900 range.

(3) **3 unblockables**, 12s, 16s, and 20s CD respectively.

(4) **All the cancer of shortbow.** The damage is a bit eh, but auto is great for keeping cover condi on, 3 frustrates a lot of warrior shield 4/bull's rush, and sb 4 + 5 are pretty stronk.

(5) **2 sources of stealth+superspeed on 12s and 16s CD.** Granted, it hurts that the traps that give you stealth also immediately unstealth you when your pursuers trigger them, but you have plenty of moves that can instantly juke chasers as soon as stealth hits, and sometimes just the detarget is what you're going for anyways.

(6) **(Close to) the old bunker druid melee survivability on sword/dagger set.** The fact that sword 3's old evade-on-demand was stupidly locked behind the sword 2 forward leap is kinda dumb, but at least you can keep that extra evade around by using sword 2 to leap in at a sensible time, then using the chain dodge before it expires.

(7) **Acceptable condi cleanse on Bear Stance**. It can't compare to the mass cleanse available to druids so you have to be a bit more careful about gigantic condi bombs, but the 27K HP gives you some leeway to let most of the low-stack cover condis drop off before engaging Bear Stance to clean the real problems.

The result is a relatively fast-moving ranger that can survive most condi, and do passable area denial. Try as I might, I can't really get this to work as a side noder against anyone competent, and despite the very high HP it's still something of a rapid +1 build. It's a decent thief stand-in for decaps, if your team's thief isn't good for that. I can still 1v1 almost anything, and at minimum can severely punish almost anyone who wants to get and stay in my face. Maybe in the hands of an extremely skilled ranger (with some tweaks) this might get you to crack plat 1, but I feel like it would only really shine in gold tier. I don't know for sure, as I quit ranked a while ago.

[Here it is.](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAwiVlRwsYPsJ2JWWP1P/SGXUA-zZoOlUEBRKEyUB0rEQhDA)

> @"Atticus.7194" said:

> > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > Jacaranda

>

> Spam autoattack and rapid fire in the most cancer low skill braindead spec imaginable and win like 75% of all fights.

>

> Honestly the best thing that could ever happen to ranger is longbow was nerfed hard, it stifles any and all build creativity and it's not like ranger doesn't have a ton of other great weps to fall back on.

I think you should fall back to a game where rangers are not master of longbow....I dare you to find a MMO where rangers are not synonymous of Longbow gameplay.

Aion?

https://aion.fandom.com/wiki/Ranger#:~:text=The%20Ranger%20class%20is%20the,two%20skills%20of%20CC%20ability.

...Nope

WoW?

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/game/classes/hunter

...Nope

FF online?

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Archer

...Nope

BDO?

https://www.blackdesertfoundry.com/archer-class-guide/

...Nope

Rangers have specialized in longbow combat since GW1 so..good luck with your nerf crusade....the devs do take notice of the **skill level** of the parties involved

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> Just do what most rangers do:

> Longbow and Greatsword

> Jacaranda

> as many immobilizing utility skills as possible

It's easier to take a break from the game waiting for the inevitable revenant nerfs **thx to Renegade opening the way**, knowing Anet they will surely nerf core revenant to bring in line renegade and also **the double AT rev meta** won't go unresolved for much longer I bet. Once the overperforming specs will be nerfed, more builds will become available

> @"Arheundel.6451" said:

> > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > Jacaranda

>

> It's easier to take a break from the game waiting for the inevitable revenant nerfs **thx to Renegade opening the way**, knowing Anet they will surely nerf core revenant to bring in line renegade and also **the double AT rev meta** won't go unresolved for much longer I bet. Once the overperforming specs will be nerfed, more builds will become available

I don't think Revenants have any relations to the overabundance of Immobilize on Rangers.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Arheundel.6451" said:

> > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > Just do what most rangers do:

> > > Longbow and Greatsword

> > > Jacaranda

> > > as many immobilizing utility skills as possible

> >

> > It's easier to take a break from the game waiting for the inevitable revenant nerfs **thx to Renegade opening the way**, knowing Anet they will surely nerf core revenant to bring in line renegade and also **the double AT rev meta** won't go unresolved for much longer I bet. Once the overperforming specs will be nerfed, more builds will become available

>

> I don't think Revenants have any relations to the overabundance of Immobilize on Rangers.

Rangers have an elite and a pet used regularly for this "overabundant" immobilize you speak off...unless you're suggesting that WvW build is actually viable in PvP above silver rank. You should bring more condi removal for basic cleansing, furthermore as far as we are concerned you were talking about longbow especially.

You suggest that longbow on ranger should be "brought in line" with warrior and dragon hunter longbow when the first is a condi weapon dealing more dmg than ranger longbow on its own without all the dmg modifiers and the second can deal upward of 7k dmg every 8s from 1500 range plus all the traps gameplay, but forget about this...

Should we "bring in line" the rest of ranger weapons too? Can we buff ranger shortbow to the same levels of renegade shortbow? dagger to the same levels of spellbreaker,ele, necro, thief? Axe off hand to the same level of warrior Axe off hand? Warhorn to the same levels of necro warhorn?Sword to the same levels of revenant sword?....I can do this all day........**you lack arguments**

The ranger gameplay with sic'em has been considered **acceptable and on point**, the devs wanted ranger to be played as ranged sniper, go check past streams from one year ago when people were crying about Sic'em...**@Irenio**

If you don't like the idea..you should change genre of gaming because GW2 ranger is exactly like ranger in all other MMOs

> @"Arheundel.6451" said:

> Rangers have an elite and a pet used regularly for this "overabundant" immobilize you speak off...unless you're suggesting that WvW build is actually viable in PvP above silver rank. You should bring more condi removal for basic cleansing, furthermore as far as we are concerned you were talking about longbow especially.

Bring more condi removal they say.

Pulsing immob is not broken they say.

Just kill the root they say.

Not like Ranger can't daze or stun yu following the immob at all.

Not like Ranger is gonna quietly sit there while yu chop away at the roots.

Pfft.

> @"Yasai.3549" said:

> Bring more condi removal they say.

> Pulsing immob is not broken they say.

> Just kill the root they say.

> Not like Ranger can't daze or stun yu following the immob at all.

> Not like Ranger is gonna quietly sit there while yu chop away at the roots.

>

> Pfft.

There is no such a problem with the roots, the issue is because of the nerf to power damage the roots are too tanky right now, so you need at least a couple of seconds to chop them off.

2 seconds may not sound like much but that is enough to stun you and hit with a couple of burst which is not fun.

Instead nerfing the access to immob applications, which weren't an issue before, the correct fix ois to reduce the HP from a the roots a 33% so they have relative the same hp as before the nerfs to power. Then you won't need to spend those couple of seconds chopping weeds at your feet.

Also the trait Ancient seeds need to be deleted from the game permanently. Any nerf would make that trait totally useless same case as the passives which triggered immunity and it's better just to rework that slot.