Forum (EN) bug/issue - [Merged]

I have had the same problem - English language pages say "No categories were found" - and this occurs from any computer or mobile device I used while not logged in. However the other language options are all fine.

What is MORE WORRYING is that I can't find anything (other than this thread which is on the forum I couldn't read...) to say that all I need to do is sign in. This is NOT good. Out of principle I won't sign into a malfunctioning site for data security reasons.

ANET - you should make it clear what is happening here even if it's just a comment on Twitter (where you are active) or on Reddit (where you are also active).

Hi,

Up until a few days ago I used to swing by and read the forums wthout logging in. But in the last maybe week or so, no Forums, sub forums or messages show at all if I click on the Forum link at the top of the website without being logged in.

I initialy thought maybe the forums were down for maintenance, but eventually tried logging in, and lo and behold there everything was as normal O_O.

Is this a recent intended change? Or some bug? I've not noticed any mention of it anywhere.

> @"Fleabite.7528" said:

> According to a sister Reddit thread, open logins can still happen in French and German. It's an annoying glitch or change - and if it's the former, the failure of Anet to fix it after several days maybe talks to the low value for them of these fora right now.

ANet doesn’t own the forum. Another company owns it and does the bug fixing. All ANet can do is send the bug reports off to the forum owners and they’ll fix it when they fix it.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Fleabite.7528" said:

> > According to a sister Reddit thread, open logins can still happen in French and German. It's an annoying glitch or change - and if it's the former, the failure of Anet to fix it after several days maybe talks to the low value for them of these fora right now.

>

> ANet doesn’t own the forum. Another company owns it and does the bug fixing. All ANet can do is send the bug reports off to the forum owners and they’ll fix it when they fix it.

ANet also doesn't care enough about the forums to tell the company who runs them to fix stuff or make these forums somewhat acceptable in 2020. It always feels like posting back in 1998 when I'm here. No hostet images, signatures randomly changing acceptable length and the likes makes me chuckle every now and then.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Fleabite.7528" said:

> > > According to a sister Reddit thread, open logins can still happen in French and German. It's an annoying glitch or change - and if it's the former, the failure of Anet to fix it after several days maybe talks to the low value for them of these fora right now.

> >

> > ANet doesn’t own the forum. Another company owns it and does the bug fixing. All ANet can do is send the bug reports off to the forum owners and they’ll fix it when they fix it.

>

> ANet also doesn't care enough about the forums to tell the company who runs them to fix stuff or make these forums somewhat acceptable in 2020. It always feels like posting back in 1998 when I'm here. No hostet images, signatures randomly changing acceptable length and the likes makes me chuckle every now and then.

It’s good to know that one customer out of however many it has can make another company fix stuff faster or add features just by telling them to.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Fleabite.7528" said:

> > > According to a sister Reddit thread, open logins can still happen in French and German. It's an annoying glitch or change - and if it's the former, the failure of Anet to fix it after several days maybe talks to the low value for them of these fora right now.

> >

> > ANet doesn’t own the forum. Another company owns it and does the bug fixing. All ANet can do is send the bug reports off to the forum owners and they’ll fix it when they fix it.

>

> ANet also doesn't care enough about the forums to tell the company who runs them to fix stuff or make these forums somewhat acceptable in 2020. It always feels like posting back in 1998 when I'm here. No hostet images, signatures randomly changing acceptable length and the likes makes me chuckle every now and then.

If you think Vanilla jumps to fulfill the requests of a smaller customer like ArenaNet, your expectations may be somewhat unrealistic.

You can find Dev posts about how Vanilla reacts to requests elsewhere on this forum.

Good luck.

The problem exists since the 6th of November. We also tried it in the bug-report sub-forum. But opposite to the usual responses like "we are working on it", there was no official response so far.

It is a really annoying bug/error, because thousands of players rely on the official forums being accessible every time. It is a great source for knowledge, information and news related GW2. Not to mention the entertainment factor. Requiring the login to just read it, kicks out the entire F2P community and every person who ponders about joining us, but does not have an account yet. As well as every player who reads the forums, but never bothered participating in them. The forums are full of reasons to start GW2, many threads with nice explanations and lists of our features. Especially with the Steam project in mind, fixing this issue should actually have a very high priority in my opinion.

Let's hope this one reaches out.

Doesn't the forum have constant problems from the beginning? In the german forum there was a lot of joking about anet being a fan of old software and such when the 'new' forum was released.

It's not uncommon that the forum takes a long time to load, while other pages were loaded 10 times already for me. So I am not surprised anymore if there is something wrong.

Issues seems to be resolved. Also F2P accounts can log on to the forum, they just can't post.

> @"Fuchslein.8639" said:

> Doesn't the forum have constant problems from the beginning? In the german forum there was a lot of joking about anet being a fan of old software and such when the 'new' forum was released.

>

> It's not uncommon that the forum takes a long time to load, while other pages were loaded 10 times already for me. So I am not surprised anymore if there is something wrong.

You are going to have to be more precise with your question because two different forum software has been used.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> Issues seems to be resolved. Also F2P accounts can log on to the forum, they just can't post.

>

> > @"Fuchslein.8639" said:

> > Doesn't the forum have constant problems from the beginning? In the german forum there was a lot of joking about anet being a fan of old software and such when the 'new' forum was released.

> >

> > It's not uncommon that the forum takes a long time to load, while other pages were loaded 10 times already for me. So I am not surprised anymore if there is something wrong.

>

> You are going to have to be more precise with your question because two different forum software has been used.

Which question? If you mean the first one. That was a hypothetical question, the answer to which I already know. Where I thought I made it clear with the following words.