Gemstore slowly becoming whale friendly

I've been noticing that lately the gemstore has been adding / changing items so it makes people buy more gems. Let me include a few examples:

- Black Lion Chests: Now contain account bound cosmetic items, forcing you to roll chests and buy more keys if you want them, with no guarantee you'll get them.

- Black Lion Chests again: Home instance nodes that are ridiculously expensive (especially compared to the rest of the same rarity tier). The cost has been artificially affected by deliberately removing the nodes out of BLCs about a year ago. E.g. the 6k gold (and unavailable) Iron Ore node. **Update:** Anet put 4 nodes in as of Wintersday 2017, which is better, let's see if it stays that way.

One-time use single character boosts:

- Core Tyria Waypoint bundle: for the 2000 gems, it's ridiculously overpriced. I mean with or without mounts, getting waypoints is quick and is not worth it unless you're a Saudi prince, I guess.

- Level 80 boost: again for 2000 gems, it's overpriced compared to the effect received. In time, everyone's drowning in experience scrolls and exotic equipment worth at most 10g and a few waypoints, just aren't worth it. It feels like it's a borderline scam aimed at artificially setting the price high to woo new players into thinking that the lv 80 boost in the "buy expansion" part of the gemstore is worth more than it actually is.

- **Update:** Mount adoption tickets: Bad skins few people would want and wouldn't sell can hide within a pool with good skins people would want, thus increasing the value of the bad skins. Also RNG, even though you (at least) get to decrease the pool every time you buy a ticket. Still, you have to plan in advance and probably buy the 10 ticket bundle and hope for the best.

My point is that no matter how much I love GW2 / Anet and want to support them, going closer to Activision / EA tier microtransactions are eventually going to disgust me and I feel like I have to express this while it's still fairly 'innocent'.

**Update:** To counterbalance I would like to spell out what I think ANet does well:

- Gem / gold conversion: It's the great equalizer for people who value gems differently.

- Cosmetic items: Items not affecting gameplay (although since broken by BLC home instance nodes, endless gathering tools that give extra yield)

- Still mostly not RNG: Until after Mo stepped in and BLC featured account bound items, GW2 was pretty much RNG free (considering gemstore items not obtainable through TP).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, though i approve the first part

> I've been noticing that lately the gemstore has been adding / changing items so it makes people buy more gems. Let me include a few examples:

> - Black Lion Chests: Now contain account bound cosmetic items, forcing you to roll chests and buy more keys if you want them, with no guarantee you'll get them.

That's the point.

Balthazar Pajamas, Hydra staff, Glider skin, Minis, etc... are:

* Totally RNG ( only a issue cause it's related to the point 2. If point 2 would not exist there won't be any problem )

* Account bound ( the real issue. A player can't get what he wants unless he go through chests and hope for RNG.

This is Bad.

> - Black Lion Chests again: Home instance nodes that are ridiculously expensive (especially compared to the rest of the same rarity tier). The cost has been artificially affected by deliberately removing the nodes out of BLCs about a year ago. E.g. the 6k gold (and unavailable) Iron Ore node.

It's ok since they are avaible through TP and not account bound.

Most of the players who invest into BLC does not take profit from em, cause the chance to get items worth the key cost is low

> One-time use single character boosts:

> - Core Tyria Waypoint bundle: for the 2000 gems, it's ridiculously overpriced. I mean with or without mounts, getting waypoints is quick and is not worth it unless you're a Saudi prince, I guess.

It's not needed. Want WP? Play.

Now you have an extra option, if you are rich or if you think the unlock is worth the cost.

I don't think that unlocking all wp is worth 2k gems, so i don't buy the bundle.

> - Level 80 boost: again for 2000 gems, it's overpriced compared to the effect received. In time, everyone's drowning in experience scrolls and exotic equipment worth at most 10g and a few waypoints, just aren't worth it. It feels like it's a borderline scam aimed at artificially setting the price high to woo new players into thinking that the lv 80 boost in the "buy expansion" part of the gemstore is worth more than it actually is.

As the WP bundle, it's not something needed ( and also through scrolls, books and 2 free lvl80 boosts from the 2 expansions, i doubt the booster could be a nice item to buy. Maybe for a new player... but as stated before, a new player would already have 2 boosters, and the first one for less than 2k gems if you compare gem price to hot price... and you'll also get the expansion ).

> My point is that no matter how much I love GW2 / Anet and want to support them, going closer to Activision / EA tier microtransactions are eventually going to disgust me and I feel like I have to express this while it's still fairly 'innocent'.

GW2 is all about fashion.

If you want to "play" the game, you are allowed with no limits.

You could have dropped the game 2 years ago and still have all characters capped, with the same equip.

Complaining about stuff like Boosts, WP bundle or Nodes from BLC is senseless, since there are players who love to gamble and buy chests, then sell it to other players which maybe don't love to gamble with BLC.

But, about stuff like Hydra staff and similar you are totally right.

You still can play the game, but is missing a different way to obtain these specific items, which is totally bad.

> @inubasiri.8745 said:

> I've been noticing that lately the gemstore has been adding / changing items so it makes people buy more gems. Let me include a few examples:

> - Black Lion Chests: Now contain account bound cosmetic items, forcing you to roll chests and buy more keys if you want them, with no guarantee you'll get them.

> - Black Lion Chests again: Home instance nodes that are ridiculously expensive (especially compared to the rest of the same rarity tier). The cost has been artificially affected by deliberately removing the nodes out of BLCs about a year ago. E.g. the 6k gold (and unavailable) Iron Ore node.

> One-time use single character boosts:

> - Core Tyria Waypoint bundle: for the 2000 gems, it's ridiculously overpriced. I mean with or without mounts, getting waypoints is quick and is not worth it unless you're a Saudi prince, I guess.

> - Level 80 boost: again for 2000 gems, it's overpriced compared to the effect received. In time, everyone's drowning in experience scrolls and exotic equipment worth at most 10g and a few waypoints, just aren't worth it. It feels like it's a borderline scam aimed at artificially setting the price high to woo new players into thinking that the lv 80 boost in the "buy expansion" part of the gemstore is worth more than it actually is.

>

> My point is that no matter how much I love GW2 / Anet and want to support them, going closer to Activision / EA tier microtransactions are eventually going to disgust me and I feel like I have to express this while it's still fairly 'innocent'.

Want nice things from Anet?

If your answer is yes, then Anet needs to make money to create all those nice things...

This game has $0 in monthly fees, so stop portraying this company as money hungry. It’s insulting to imply that. Also, this world doesn’t revolve around free... There are 400 employees at this company that need to be fed so they can maintain this game. Besides, everything on the gemstore is optional...

You obviously have zero understanding how businesses work.

@"Shirlias.8104" I'm not saying that you NEED to buy those things, if that was the case I think neither of us would be here. The point is that those things don't have the value Anet arbitrarily set up, because obtaining them otherwise is (arguably) cheaper. You can't complain the same way about say fashion wars items, because they can't be obtained any other way, thus their value is always the amount of gems Anet is asking for (except sales sometimes). Which reminds me that the Spooky mount bundle "sale" is hardly a sale, because it's the first time it's on the gemstore.

@"Swagger.1459" That's not a binary thing. Anet makes / doesn't make stuff. I'm not complaining about them asking for money in microtransactions at all. I'm fine with the payment model, it's why I like GW2. The problem is that I feel Anet is slowly switching to a more aggressive, manipulative one that I do not like.

> @inubasiri.8745 said:

> @"Shirlias.8104" I'm not saying that you NEED to buy those things, if that was the case I think neither of us would be here. The point is that those things don't have the value Anet arbitrarily set up, because obtaining them otherwise is (arguably) cheaper. You can't complain the same way about say fashion wars items, because they can't be obtained any other way, thus their value is always the amount of gems Anet is asking for (except sales sometimes). Which reminds me that the Spooky mount bundle "sale" is hardly a sale, because it's the first time it's on the gemstore.

>

> @"Swagger.1459" That's not a binary thing. Anet makes / doesn't make stuff. I'm not complaining about them asking for money in microtransactions at all. I'm fine with the payment model, it's why I like GW2. The problem is that I feel Anet is slowly switching to a more aggressive, manipulative one that I do not like.

Offering items at a price that can be easilly ignored or even bypassed is the opposite of what you claim to dislike.

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @Swagger.1459 said:

>

> > You obviously have zero understanding how businesses work.

>

> That is also a good point to discuss with, though i can understand it could collide with the player's perspective.

>

I honestly don't understand why Swagger has to try and troll me with factually unbased guesses. I'm complaining about like 3% of the gem store. It doesn't even facilitate discussion, it's just ad hominem that aims at trying to beat my argument with emotional reaction that aims at just sweeping the argument as a whole under the rug.

> @Ashen.2907 said:

> > @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > @"Shirlias.8104" I'm not saying that you NEED to buy those things, if that was the case I think neither of us would be here. The point is that those things don't have the value Anet arbitrarily set up, because obtaining them otherwise is (arguably) cheaper. You can't complain the same way about say fashion wars items, because they can't be obtained any other way, thus their value is always the amount of gems Anet is asking for (except sales sometimes). Which reminds me that the Spooky mount bundle "sale" is hardly a sale, because it's the first time it's on the gemstore.

> >

> > @"Swagger.1459" That's not a binary thing. Anet makes / doesn't make stuff. I'm not complaining about them asking for money in microtransactions at all. I'm fine with the payment model, it's why I like GW2. The problem is that I feel Anet is slowly switching to a more aggressive, manipulative one that I do not like.

>

> Offering items at a price that can be easilly ignored or even bypassed is the opposite of what you claim to dislike.

How is that an argument? You can technically ignore or bypass the whole gemstore. I'm arguing against items that are not worth their cost in gems and / or that force you to buy something you don't want to get them.

> @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > @Swagger.1459 said:

> >

> > > You obviously have zero understanding how businesses work.

> >

> > That is also a good point to discuss with, though i can understand it could collide with the player's perspective.

> >

>

> I honestly don't understand why Swagger has to try and troll me with factually unbased guesses. I'm complaining about like 3% of the gem store. It doesn't even facilitate discussion, it's just ad hominem that aims at trying to beat my argument with emotional reaction that aims at just sweeping the argument as a whole under the rug.

I think he was serious about.

If you think of GW2 as a player you would obviously prefer to have things fair and square and maybe easily accessible...

...but, we have to remember that ANET, as a SH, works in order to make a profit.

The complain about that 3% store could be the reason they are making a profit ( you don't have to focus on "i am talking about 1% of the items from Gem Store" if the items you are refering are the ones who gives them profit.

TL DR: Account bound items from BLC, which are random, probably let em sell good gems ( and they are required to make somehow a profit through gw2 ).

Just have to say that the WP option was included because people were begging their asses off for it. This is Anet's way of saying "shut the fuck up already, if its as important as you claim it is, then you'll be willing to pay for it. Otherwise put in the extremely low effort required to unlock your WPs"

The lvl 80 boost, I don't really know why its being sold at all honestly, but I don't see how its a problem. if you don't think an instant level 80 character is worth $25, then don't buy it?

The account bound cosmetic items from the BLC are a problem though. They are already RG without a backstop, meaning you could theoretically open up hundreds of BLCs and not get them, but you have no other way to obtain them since htye are accoutn bound. They need to be made tradeable imo

> @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > > @"Shirlias.8104" I'm not saying that you NEED to buy those things, if that was the case I think neither of us would be here. The point is that those things don't have the value Anet arbitrarily set up, because obtaining them otherwise is (arguably) cheaper. You can't complain the same way about say fashion wars items, because they can't be obtained any other way, thus their value is always the amount of gems Anet is asking for (except sales sometimes). Which reminds me that the Spooky mount bundle "sale" is hardly a sale, because it's the first time it's on the gemstore.

> > >

> > > @"Swagger.1459" That's not a binary thing. Anet makes / doesn't make stuff. I'm not complaining about them asking for money in microtransactions at all. I'm fine with the payment model, it's why I like GW2. The problem is that I feel Anet is slowly switching to a more aggressive, manipulative one that I do not like.

> >

> > Offering items at a price that can be easilly ignored or even bypassed is the opposite of what you claim to dislike.

>

> How is that an argument? You can technically ignore or bypass the whole gemstore. I'm arguing against items that are not worth their cost in gems and / or that force you to buy something you don't want to get them.

You are arguing, according to your own words, against items with gemstore prices higher than the in game alternatives for getting them. If one can get an item in game for cheaper than the gemstore price then, by definition it is not aggressive or manipulative.

"You can buy this for $20....or you can have it for free. Your choice," is about as far from what you say you dont like as can be.

> @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > > @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > > > @"Shirlias.8104" I'm not saying that you NEED to buy those things, if that was the case I think neither of us would be here. The point is that those things don't have the value Anet arbitrarily set up, because obtaining them otherwise is (arguably) cheaper. You can't complain the same way about say fashion wars items, because they can't be obtained any other way, thus their value is always the amount of gems Anet is asking for (except sales sometimes). Which reminds me that the Spooky mount bundle "sale" is hardly a sale, because it's the first time it's on the gemstore.

> > > >

> > > > @"Swagger.1459" That's not a binary thing. Anet makes / doesn't make stuff. I'm not complaining about them asking for money in microtransactions at all. I'm fine with the payment model, it's why I like GW2. The problem is that I feel Anet is slowly switching to a more aggressive, manipulative one that I do not like.

> > >

> > > Offering items at a price that can be easilly ignored or even bypassed is the opposite of what you claim to dislike.

> >

> > How is that an argument? You can technically ignore or bypass the whole gemstore. I'm arguing against items that are not worth their cost in gems and / or that force you to buy something you don't want to get them.

>

> You are arguing, according to your own words, against items with gemstore prices higher than the in game alternatives for getting them. If one can get an item in game for cheaper than the gemstore price then, by definition it is not aggressive or manipulative.

>

> "You can buy this for $20....or you can have it for free. Your choice," is about as far from what you say you dont like as can be.

>

>

Yup, forgot that... Players want stuff from the gemstore then they can exchange gold for gems and get things for free...

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > > @Swagger.1459 said:

> > >

> > > > You obviously have zero understanding how businesses work.

> > >

> > > That is also a good point to discuss with, though i can understand it could collide with the player's perspective.

> > >

> >

> > I honestly don't understand why Swagger has to try and troll me with factually unbased guesses. I'm complaining about like 3% of the gem store. It doesn't even facilitate discussion, it's just ad hominem that aims at trying to beat my argument with emotional reaction that aims at just sweeping the argument as a whole under the rug.

>

> I think he was serious about.

> If you think of GW2 as a player you would obviously prefer to have things fair and square and maybe easily accessible...

> ...but, we have to remember that ANET, as a SH, works in order to make a profit.

>

> The complain about that 3% store could be the reason they are making a profit ( you don't have to focus on "i am talking about 1% of the items from Gem Store" if the items you are refering are the ones who gives them profit.

>

> TL DR: Account bound items from BLC, which are random, probably let em sell good gems ( and they are required to make somehow a profit through gw2 ).

>

>

>

>

Well even if he's serious I doubt he knows Anet's economy either. Unless Mo told him. I just can't with integrity intact promote a game that scams people with overpriced items with cheaper alternatives ingame. GW2 is NOT like that. But I can't just look at gemstore items that kinda are like that and ignore them.

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> I disagree, though i approve the first part

>

> > I've been noticing that lately the gemstore has been adding / changing items so it makes people buy more gems. Let me include a few examples:

> > - Black Lion Chests: Now contain account bound cosmetic items, forcing you to roll chests and buy more keys if you want them, with no guarantee you'll get them.

>

> That's the point.

>

> Balthazar Pajamas, Hydra staff, Glider skin, Minis, etc... are:

> * Totally RNG ( only a issue cause it's related to the point 2. If point 2 would not exist there won't be any problem )

> * Account bound ( the real issue. A player can't get what he wants unless he go through chests and hope for RNG.

>

> This is Bad.

>

> But, about stuff like Hydra staff and similar you are totally right.

> You still can play the game, but is missing a different way to obtain these specific items, which is totally bad.

>

I see nothing wrong with this. Not only does this practice increase revenue for the company, it makes sure that people that fork out $$$ have the possibility to get something exclusive that does not = play to win. They are just skins after all.

Black Lion Chests and the RNG are made the way they are very purposefully. They generate revenue for the company without flooding the market with items that can seriously alter the game.

Unlike a slot machine, you get a reward with each "pull of the lever." It isn't gambling, because you get something with each key. You may not like what you get, but we all know the contents of the chests and the possibility/probability of getting any particular item. You know beforehand which items are account bound and which are not.

If you are buying keys EXPECTING to get something rare/super rare, then you are fooling yourself. I've spent a LOT of money on these chests and I enjoy playing with them. I never expect to get something rare because I just set myself up for disappointment. You cannot blame the chests or Anet when you don't get what you want. You know what is in there and the possibility of getting them.

As far as the rest of the BL items the OP mentioned, none are necessary to playing the game or completing anything they represent. Therefore, the price that Anet puts on them is arbitrary and completely up to them. They aren't overpriced, they are exactly the price that Anet wants to sell them for.

tl/dr: There is nothing wrong with the RNG of BL Chests. There is nothing wrong with BL Chest contents. There is nothing wrong with any prices of BL items.

> @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > > @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > > > @"Shirlias.8104" I'm not saying that you NEED to buy those things, if that was the case I think neither of us would be here. The point is that those things don't have the value Anet arbitrarily set up, because obtaining them otherwise is (arguably) cheaper. You can't complain the same way about say fashion wars items, because they can't be obtained any other way, thus their value is always the amount of gems Anet is asking for (except sales sometimes). Which reminds me that the Spooky mount bundle "sale" is hardly a sale, because it's the first time it's on the gemstore.

> > > >

> > > > @"Swagger.1459" That's not a binary thing. Anet makes / doesn't make stuff. I'm not complaining about them asking for money in microtransactions at all. I'm fine with the payment model, it's why I like GW2. The problem is that I feel Anet is slowly switching to a more aggressive, manipulative one that I do not like.

> > >

> > > Offering items at a price that can be easilly ignored or even bypassed is the opposite of what you claim to dislike.

> >

> > How is that an argument? You can technically ignore or bypass the whole gemstore. I'm arguing against items that are not worth their cost in gems and / or that force you to buy something you don't want to get them.

>

> You are arguing, according to your own words, against items with gemstore prices higher than the in game alternatives for getting them. If one can get an item in game for cheaper than the gemstore price then, by definition it is not aggressive or manipulative.

>

> "You can buy this for $20....or you can have it for free. Your choice," is about as far from what you say you dont like as can be.

>

>

Yeah which is wrong, you're proving my point right there.

> @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > > > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > > > @inubasiri.8745 said:

> > > > > @"Shirlias.8104" I'm not saying that you NEED to buy those things, if that was the case I think neither of us would be here. The point is that those things don't have the value Anet arbitrarily set up, because obtaining them otherwise is (arguably) cheaper. You can't complain the same way about say fashion wars items, because they can't be obtained any other way, thus their value is always the amount of gems Anet is asking for (except sales sometimes). Which reminds me that the Spooky mount bundle "sale" is hardly a sale, because it's the first time it's on the gemstore.

> > > > >

> > > > > @"Swagger.1459" That's not a binary thing. Anet makes / doesn't make stuff. I'm not complaining about them asking for money in microtransactions at all. I'm fine with the payment model, it's why I like GW2. The problem is that I feel Anet is slowly switching to a more aggressive, manipulative one that I do not like.

> > > >

> > > > Offering items at a price that can be easilly ignored or even bypassed is the opposite of what you claim to dislike.

> > >

> > > How is that an argument? You can technically ignore or bypass the whole gemstore. I'm arguing against items that are not worth their cost in gems and / or that force you to buy something you don't want to get them.

> >

> > You are arguing, according to your own words, against items with gemstore prices higher than the in game alternatives for getting them. If one can get an item in game for cheaper than the gemstore price then, by definition it is not aggressive or manipulative.

> >

> > "You can buy this for $20....or you can have it for free. Your choice," is about as far from what you say you dont like as can be.

> >

> >

>

> Yeah which is wrong, you're proving my point right there.

Offering an item for free, or giving the option to pay for it, for those so inclined, means that every player has the choice to spend as little or as much as they choose.

Giving all players control over their gaming expenditures, the ability to customize the financial aspect of the hobby to their own unique economic circumstances, empowers the consumer. It is neither aggressive nor manipulative.

> @inubasiri.8745 said:

> It is if the point is to artificially make it appear as though the item is worth more than it actually is on an expac bundle.

Free.

Every item in the gemstore can be acquired without spending anything more than the purchase price of the game.

"No Bob, you should totally avoid GW2. They are manipulative and aggressive in their cash shop. Can you believe that they actually let you get 100% of the content of the shop without spending a dime!?!? Unbelievable right? They should be ashamed of themselves! Letting the players completely control how much they want to spend on an item! Yes indeed, a cancer. Nope, definitely stay away from this game...free (harrumph)"

You didn't even understand a single simple sentence I posted. You're not even trying, are you? Then you carry on with a strawman fallacy. And on top of that cancer isn't a countable noun.

Yes, obviously as a part of expac bundle, it is free. But if you then post it for 2000 gems on the gemstore, you can say: "Look the expac bundle is worth X money and on top of that FREE 2000 gem-worth item." But the item is not worth 2000 gems. It's just them asking 2000 gems for it. Its actual worth is somewhere around 10g plus time spent in the game, or at current prices 40 gems + time playing the game. Now IF Anet put it up with the WP bundle and didn't know how pricey it should have been and just said, "let's just use default 2000 gems," then it wouldn't be manipulation. But we can't know which case it is. RNG always kinda is, as long as you want whatever is in the chest. But it still isn't BAD as big publishers. So I'm complaining about it so it's obvious that not everyone loves it.

> @inubasiri.8745 said:

> You didn't even understand a single simple sentence I posted. You're not even trying, are you? Then you carry on with a strawman fallacy. And on top of that cancer isn't a countable noun.

>

> Yes, obviously as a part of expac bundle, it is free. But if you then post it for 2000 gems on the gemstore, you can say: "Look the expac bundle is worth X money and on top of that FREE 2000 gem-worth item." But the item is not worth 2000 gems. It's just them asking 2000 gems for it. Its actual worth is somewhere around 10g plus time spent in the game, or at current prices 40 gems + time playing the game. Now IF Anet put it up with the WP bundle and didn't know how pricey it should have been and just said, "let's just use default 2000 gems," then it wouldn't be manipulation. But we can't know which case it is. RNG always kinda is, as long as you want whatever is in the chest. But it still isn't BAD as big publishers. So I'm complaining about it so it's obvious that not everyone loves it.

Ahh yes, disagreeing with you means that I cannot comprehend your insightful genius. I must be engaging in a strawman argument.

Then there is your own fallacy attempting to define what something is worth. A luxury item's value is subjective. If someone is willing to spend 2000 gems on it then it is worth 2000 gems, to them. Of course those gems might very well have been acquired as a side effect of just playing the game and so that subjective worth might be also expressed as $0.

So, again, empowering the consumer, allowing her to control how much she is willing to pay for a product, is the opposite of what you claim to be arguing against.

> @inubasiri.8745 said:

They also introduced the Black Lion Exclusives Chest, a tradeable item that allows you to choose one of those account bound cosmetic items. No need to spend on gems.

Why does anyone actually need these? This is a perfect example of an item with a tiny monetary value that people are willing to pay extra for simply because it's rare.

What then is the problem? Clearly it's not tempting to anyone with a thin wallet.

Not everyone is drowning in instant XP. Veterans of PvP/WvW and many who just do dailies. But a lot of people are newer or don't play as often.

You haven't actually said why any of the above is bad for the game. None of these microtransactions make fundamental changes in the game for anyone except the person spending gems on them. They are cosmetics or bragging rights or time saving tools (that only have a one-time benefit).

In GW2, you get autolooting by playing. In BDO, you have to spend at their cash shop to get it. In the original Dragon's Age (EA), I had to spend cash to get more than the default storage and the game was literally impossible without storing a lot of stuff (or reading a guide to learn what was disposable). In GW2, I can spend in-game coin to buy storage. I like the GW2 way better. What don't you like?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > - Black Lion Chests: Now contain account bound cosmetic items, forcing you to roll chests and buy more keys if you want them, with no guarantee you'll get them.

> They also introduced the Black Lion Exclusives Chest, a tradeable item that allows you to choose one of those account bound cosmetic items. No need to spend on gems.

>

> > - Black Lion Chests again: Home instance nodes that are ridiculously expensive (especially compared to the rest of the same rarity tier). The cost has been artificially affected by deliberately removing the nodes out of BLCs about a year ago. E.g. the 6k gold (and unavailable) Iron Ore node.

> Why does anyone actually need these? This is a perfect example of an item with a tiny monetary value that people are willing to pay extra for simply because it's rare.

>

> > - Core Tyria Waypoint bundle: for the 2000 gems, it's ridiculously overpriced. I mean with or without mounts, getting waypoints is quick and is not worth it unless you're a Saudi prince, I guess.

> What then is the problem? Clearly it's not tempting to anyone with a thin wallet.

>

> > - Level 80 boost: again for 2000 gems, it's overpriced compared to the effect received. In time, everyone's drowning in experience scrolls and exotic equipment worth at most 10g and a few waypoints, just aren't worth it. It feels like it's a borderline scam aimed at artificially setting the price high to woo new players into thinking that the lv 80 boost in the "buy expansion" part of the gemstore is worth more than it actually is.

> Not everyone is drowning in instant XP. Veterans of PvP/WvW and many who just do dailies. But a lot of people are newer or don't play as often.

>

>

> > My point is that no matter how much I love GW2 / Anet and want to support them, going closer to Activision / EA tier microtransactions are eventually going to disgust me and I feel like I have to express this while it's still fairly 'innocent'.

> You haven't actually said why any of the above is bad for the game. None of these microtransactions make fundamental changes in the game for anyone except the person spending gems on them. They are cosmetics or bragging rights or time saving tools (that only have a one-time benefit).

>

> In GW2, you get autolooting by playing. In BDO, you have to spend at their cash shop to get it. In the original Dragon's Age (EA), I had to spend cash to get more than the default storage and the game was literally impossible without storing a lot of stuff (or reading a guide to learn what was disposable). In GW2, I can spend in-game coin to buy storage. I like the GW2 way better. What don't you like?

>

Well they aren't significantly bad for the game now. I said that in the first post. I just don't think going this way is the right direction. As you said: "Clearly it's not tempting to anyone with a thin wallet." And if you read the header...

Also technically, autoloot is a part of Central Tyria Masteries and those aren't part of the free game, so technically, they aren't "free" free.

That's the thing, a lot of people, for some reason, believe that I say that the game is wrecked because of these fringe items. Well I don't, I just think that this is the wrong way and eventually, two years ahead maybe, if this persists, it would start becoming significantly bad.

> @Chickenooble.5014 said:

> The OP compares ArenaNet to Activision/EA but there's one big difference -- ArenaNet let's you buy their currency using in-game currency and Activision/EA requires real cash payments afaik.

Thing is I don't compare them. I say that Anet is moving closer to them with these specific little things. They don't compare now. And hopefully never will.