Crafting 101

It would be so convenient if once you've maxed out a particular crafting specialty, that all of your characters would have that ability. This might not be cost effective for Anet. If not, one compromise would be that select items that are not available at lower crafting levels , such as Lump of Mithrillium or Bloodstone Brick, might be available for crafting on all characters (once maximization is complete) so that logging out isn't required to complete these daily deeds.

I don't have a problem with relogging to my designated crafters, especially when there's not that much crafting to do. It also doesn't seem fair for people that already paid for additional crafting slots on their characters.

That said... I can't say I care either way, it's a non-issue for me. For the "daily crafts" (being ascended mats?), you just need to have one of the weapon-crafting disciplines (weaponsmith/artificier/huntsman) combined with one of the armor-crafting disciplines (tailor/leatherworker/armorsmith) -which seems to be a pretty reasonable choice even without planning for those mats earlier.

But what if you have those crafting disciplines leveled up on a character you don't play (anymore?)? Then it's still just a single relog, considering you put it next to the crafting stations, it's a loading screen comparable with using a waypoint on the character you were already logged on.

> @"Funky.4861" said:

> Crafting per-character has always made sense to me; why should one character know max level crafting of a discipline they never studied or practised just because another character they will never meet knows it? Did they leave a note in shared inv or the bank? ^^

Well.. the recipes are account unlocks as well... Is that not ok also?

> @"Funky.4861" said:

> Crafting per-character has always made sense to me; why should one character know max level crafting of a discipline they never studied or practised just because another character they will never meet knows it? Did they leave a note in shared inv or the bank? ^^

By that logic, why do they have shared inventory or bank access?

But the crafting being per-character DID make more sense back when it was harder to get to level 80. With enough gold, you could craft most of the way to 80 by mastering everything. With only a little gold but some time gathering, you could at least make a push to a new level by crafting for that last bit of EXP you needed before the next story segment or chance to upgrade your gear.

It may not make much sense now, but ... Well, ANet doesn't have the best track record with going back and "improving" things.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> The recipe unlocks being account-wide are a newer thing.

> Crafting to level characters was a popular feature in the first couple of years, or so.

Agreed. I have still used it as I like to keep my tomes for spirit shards.

I was just trying to understand how the poster I referenced viewed the recipe piece.

To me, they may be analogous.

Hmm, I have three designated crafters and I've never noticed it being a big deal to switch to one of them or switch between them when I need to craft something. If we were to do a poll on where Anet should focus developer resources, this would be so far down the list for me that it would never get my vote. My #1 development priority would be the Legendary Armory. My 2nd would be Alliances or whatever it is that will allow a guild to do WvW together, no matter which servers their members may be on. As for crafting, allowing us to keep all the tabs closed when starting to craft until we open them ourselves would rank much higher for me than being able to craft with all my alts. That's just me though. Your mileage and voting preferences may vary.

> @"Funky.4861" said:

It makes perfect sense from a role-playing perspective. However, from the same perspective, why do all characters, even at level 2, start mastering bouncing mushrooms or canyon jumping as soon as one of them does? The game applies different logics to similar things and it doesn't make much sense overall.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > The recipe unlocks being account-wide are a newer thing.

> > Crafting to level characters was a popular feature in the first couple of years, or so.

>

> Agreed. I have still used it as I like to keep my tomes for spirit shards.

>

> I was just trying to understand how the poster I referenced viewed the recipe piece.

>

> To me, they may be analogous.

Actually the recipe becoming account bound was born more out of necessity and ease of use.

The situation where recipes were acquired and/or used on characters who could not make use of them was just getting out of hand. The easiest "fix" was to simply make them account wide given the limitation of having to master the crafting profession per character who wants to make use of them remained.

As such this is not as much analogous as rather a "work around" to prevent issues of player stupidity, which costs customer support time, and ease of implementation (aka not having to worry about how recipes are granted).

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > The recipe unlocks being account-wide are a newer thing.

> > > Crafting to level characters was a popular feature in the first couple of years, or so.

> >

> > Agreed. I have still used it as I like to keep my tomes for spirit shards.

> >

> > I was just trying to understand how the poster I referenced viewed the recipe piece.

> >

> > To me, they may be analogous.

>

> Actually the recipe becoming account bound was born more out of necessity and ease of use.

>

> The situation where recipes were acquired and/or used on characters who could not make use of them was just getting out of hand. The easiest "fix" was to simply make them account wide given the limitation of having to master the crafting profession per character who wants to make use of them remained.

>

> As such this is not as much analogous as rather a "work around" to prevent issues of player stupidity, which costs customer support time, and ease of implementation (aka not having to worry about how recipes are granted).

Fair point. I didn’t think of that. ?