Please don't kill Aurene (spoilers)

Oxstar.7643

> @"Oxstar.7643" said:

> Sorry for double post, these forums really need an edit button.

We do have an edit button, after you make your post look in the upper right for the gear icon. Click it, and the only option that appears is 'Edit'.

I'm with @"Grand Marshal.4098" on the about-face we've seen with Elder Dragons.

It's not that it's necessarily a bad idea to have multi-dimensional villains, or find out that they're not really villains at all. It's just that this "hey dragons aren't what we thought" has been executed quite poorly (by my narrative standards, at least) and Aurene has been thrust into the center of that shoddy execution.

We have living, currently active characters (Destiny's Edge) who communicated directly with Glint. We have all 3 orders with varying approaches and exposures to the different dragons. There's an entire hidden city's worth of exalted whose existence is predicated on caring for Aurene, having inherited the task of the Forgotten (another group with quite intimate ties with dragons).

There were so many opportunities to better build up to "hey dragons aren't what we thought" moment, but instead we just get off-screen Taimi talking in our earpieces about her deus ex reasearch revealing the fundamental role dragons play in Tyrian ecology, and a dragon baby that likes us because it came from one of the 'good' dragons and you played catch with it a few times. I guess our peek into the All, courtesy of Omadd's Machine, possibly revealed some of this, but likely only in retrospect and not in a way interpretable to the typical player running through the story for the first time. It just feels very artless.

> @"voltaicbore.8012" said:

> > @"Oxstar.7643" said:

> > Sorry for double post, these forums really need an edit button.

>

> We do have an edit button, after you make your post look in the upper right for the gear icon. Click it, and the only option that appears is 'Edit'.

>

> I'm with @"Grand Marshal.4098" on the about-face we've seen with Elder Dragons.

>

> It's not that it's necessarily a bad idea to have multi-dimensional villains, or find out that they're not really villains at all. It's just that this "hey dragons aren't what we thought" has been executed quite poorly (by my narrative standards, at least) and Aurene has been thrust into the center of that shoddy execution.

>

> We have living, currently active characters (Destiny's Edge) who communicated directly with Glint. We have all 3 orders with varying approaches and exposures to the different dragons. There's an entire hidden city's worth of exalted whose existence is predicated on caring for Aurene, having inherited the task of the Forgotten (another group with quite intimate ties with dragons).

>

> There were so many opportunities to better build up to "hey dragons aren't what we thought" moment, but instead we just get off-screen Taimi talking in our earpieces about her deus ex reasearch revealing the fundamental role dragons play in Tyrian ecology, and a dragon baby that likes us because it came from one of the 'good' dragons and you played catch with it a few times. I guess our peek into the All, courtesy of Omadd's Machine, possibly revealed some of this, but likely only in retrospect and not in a way interpretable to the typical player running through the story for the first time. It just feels very artless.

>

>

>

Oh trust me, they did NOT take advantage of all the story could be. For instance, Eir has nothing new to say if you are a Norn when she appears from the mists, Snaff has nothing to say if you are an asura, Snaff btw, Caithe should have appeared at that point of the story instead of later, same for Rytlock so we could see how they handle a sudden reunion, Zojja is in cold storage despite that would have been a great time to bring her back out, Garm appears for like a short time, and has no part in the spirits of the wild section despite being the companion of the greatest norn hunter who were favored by the great spirits. iirc, the reason season 4 ended so openingly was because they were undecided about a new season supposedly because of insufficient interest. It's not the debate of if they could have done more.

It's about people saying "Aurene bad, remove" without realizing that at this point you can't just remove her, due to how the story have developed.

I like Aurene's story and how it has worked into the overall plot. I am not convinced that "End of Dragon's" means Aurene and other Elder Dragons will be dead, but rather the power they hold over Tyria will be diminished or removed in some capacity. It could be some form of prison (I could see Aurene using her magic to bind the other dragons in some form of irreversible stasis that also traps her for example), or perhaps some form of spiritual elevation to another plane of power (perhaps just leaving Tyria to explore, or transcending to become similar to Norn Spirits or the like).

I would be disappointed if we get through the end of End of Dragons and we still have the same Elder Dragons kicking around. After the Gods and Dragons, who's going to be next?

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > She won’t die but she can put to sleep (just like the other dragons can be put back to sleep).

>

> Then, we can kill her in her sleep.

With what, a pillow ? ?

Jokes aside, she could very well absorb the attacks or primordius and then retrieve into sleep. As for Jormag, well it wins and we fly to cantha to get a solution for dealing with it.