Question about one shot build and races (WvW and PvP)

Telgum.6071

For a one shot build what would be better? Deadeye or Core? Dagger or Rifle? I assume the build would be critical strikes + deadly arts + spec?

My intention is to not be seen at all, that's why I need DA.

Full berserker with scholar, with force+air sigils and assassin signet. Unless you know a better glass cannon combo that's pretty much what I'll be running.

Is the race a thing here? I've been reading for months that some races have more predictable animations (norn) over others (asura). Asura is the one that gets my attention because of the size, but I've been reading that their lower size do not match their melee attack range.

I'm specially concerned about this because I will also run the condition thief, and pistol 3 is already hard enough to hit without being an asura.

I use a tank DE build for stealth and positioning, and a glass DE build to one shot. This is for WvW specifically. I'll post them both and explain the logic after.

Tank support build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAQhrlFwEZbMLmJeeT/vbA-zVRYiBBOG1ffnRmqqelqa8gEG/tUlCG-w

Glass burst build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAQpjlFwgYbMLmJW2O/vKA-zVRYBRNTMC2lSYRQmFVthQvJqtHkwYP8WqSBD-w

Yes, I know these builds look a little nutty lol. Bear with me.

The glass build lacks permastealth because the burst set is P/D, not D/P. P/D power actually does surprising damage when set up right, I've killed glass staff elementalists with just the sneak attack before. The tank build exists in order to provide that stealth for a safe engage and to provide tankiness when evading people, and for no other reason. Shadow portal is in the same utility slot in both builds, this is important as it means it is possible to place the portal then swap templates without destroying the portal. So in practice you would remain on the tank build for stealth and to place a portal at a safe distance from your target, move to just outside melee range of the target while stealthed, swap templates to glass build, then spike. The spike rotation is mark, binding shadow, P/D sneak attack just before binding shadow hits for the % modifier from impact sigil, shadow strike, repeater x2, shadow meld, weapon swap, death's judgement.

The sneak attack hits for 7-10k, the shadow strike for 6-10k, so glassy targets like power thieves will be dead after the shadow strike and you'll be just out of melee range of the target, meaning you can shadow meld then shadow step stomp to avoid AoE from additional enemies. If it's tankier and you get the repeaters off it sets you up for the full malice death's judgement, which will finish anything short of a full minstrel firebrand. In this scenario you're probably at range from the downed target and any additional enemies will be about to bomb your location, so shadow meld then shadow stepping to the target while they AoE your previous location will usually get you enough time to stomp before they think to AoE CC the downed player. In both scenarios you should portal out as soon as the stomp finishes or if you get interrupted, and if you placed it correctly you'll pretty much instantly get out of combat, so you can swap to the tank build and stealth while waiting for cooldowns.

It's a bit finnicky at first, but when it works you can stomp a target inside their own group as long as you watch your LoS, as it happens so fast it takes people by surprise. The rotation relies on you being out of combat when you mark the target, you don't have any traits that make mark do damage meaning you only get into combat when the P/D sneak attack hits and you have the rifle swap ready if needed. If you get in combat before you swap to P/D, you won't have access to the death's judgement if the target proves to be tanky, or if the target is glass you won't have the cleansing sigil proc on rifle after using shadow portal to ensure getting out of combat, potentially stopping you from swapping to the tank build and allowing the enemy a chance to chase you down.

The build is obviously countered by projectile hate, so things like scrappers, elementalists with focus offhand and firebrands will be difficult to take down, and the build is completely countered by earth runes. Honestly I think the fact it is easy to shut down is a fair tradeoff for the high spike, but it really means you don't want a drawn out fight on the glass spec because you lack the stealth options to keep yourself going afterwards. You could use deadly arts over shadow arts for the glass build if you wanted, personally I find the engage more reliable with shadow arts.

Have fun ^^

Edit: This might be a better glass build given you have full zerk: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAQpjlFwgYbMLmJW2O/PTA-zVZYBRNnnVQBiRwCsUCLCysoqNE6NRt9gEG7h3SVmRA-w

This would cap crit chance at 100% while you have fury and quickness, which is enough for the spike. The death's judgement would do less damage and you'd have no ini after using repeater (the two reasons I favour M7 over BQoBK), but it might suit you better.

Edit edit: I've been playing the zerker build recently and it works well, I've been hitting 12k sneak attacks vs glassy targets. The swap from malicious intent to collateral damage gives a melee range blind when you finish the stomp which is very nice for avoiding damage as you portal, and often that will hit for 4k on it's own.

Answering your other questions; race is unimportant for a one shot build unless you're using a racial skill as part of the rotation, as ideally by the time they realise they're being attacked they're already downed so the animations of your character are unimportant. If you feel that the different animations are important defensively, use standard models.

Full zerk with those sigils is a good PvE build, but you're going to want some survivability in some way. My build uses templates and portal to minimise the risk before and after the spike, so it could run on full zerk for the glass build if needed. That said, I mostly want the marauder for the crit chance, and given stuff dies already I'm not sure I need more zerk pieces. Using only one build places more restrictions on your setup by requiring D/P offhand for stealth, and meaning you either need to build glassy for damage (which pretty much forces you to run deadeye or daredevil bound for the stealth) or tanky enough to take a hit. Full valkyrie with the hidden killer trait is worth a mention, it doesn't have as high damage as a marauder/zerk mix with no quarter but you can get plenty of health that way so it might fit your needs better.

CS/Tr/DrD with berserker gear on D/D with Assassin's Signet and Signet of Shadows is theoretically the best you can do in the shortest amount of time.

That said, it's a horrible build and still won't burst most small-scale oriented builds unless you're lucky, and there's no real form of escape or "to not be seen." Your combo gets absorbed, and you die. This will force you into strictly a 1v1/gank position only, and only against certain builds.

Your goals of not being seen and delivering OHKO hits are contradictory. All variants of the thief currently have to pester for several attacks to down pretty much everyone except maybe the squishiest of eles and other thieves.

I'm not really sure why you mention wanting to play P/D condi. It has no relevance in a decision of playing power/burst. You'll have to have a duplicate set of every piece of equipment to play both builds and there's just no wiggle room.

If you want actual efficacy on a burst spec, play D/P Daredevil or SA DE like everyone else, because those are pretty much the only power builds on thief that don't outright suck, and are arguably fairly OP in good hands.

Race doesn't matter in this game. They all have identical ranges and hitboxes. Likely you're just stepping closer when playing an Asura due to its relative size.

In WvW, maybe think about using Stealth for positioning and masking position for Stealth Attacks, you're not going to map travel totally unseen.

- You would be safer sliding your view distance out some and panning camera to peek around corners or over something and to let your peripheral keep you updated on everything including your mini map.

- If you're going to close in on someone to open with a burst and sequence, think about the topography and line of site between you and them and what they can see in their camera view to gauge how close you can get before they scramble.

- Your build is going to decide your weapons and the other way around. You're playing mostly to the utility you have to keep up with or keep distance from people and you need to be able to debuff their layers and open them up regardless of how hard you can hit.

- My Power is maybe just passable but once I'm hitting raw health bar with Damage along with secondary mods like Life Steal it doesn't really matter much. I like DA on my Core template and I'd rather have Crit Strikes and Trickery on my DE but that's my matchup and log in time.

- Assassins Signet is nice if you have the slots for it and it's a priority for you but if it was a decision on my Utility bar I'd take Signet of Shadows.