Fractals Takes More Skill Than Raids

> @Feanor.2358 said:

> CMs are done by meta parties, there's no real diff from raids.

>

> P.S. Also everyone can break above 20k.

Who the fuck cares to do comparisons to suboptimal setups? Games are balanced around competent players in serious formats. SPVP is not balanced around unranked yolo troll builds and WvW isn't balanced around roaming duels. Why should PvE be any different?

Just drop the BS and stop pretending like weaver isn't consistently putting sizable gaps in throughput when you've already been provided that despite being the most popular DPS spec in raids used by many people, it still outperforms the other specs.

And it's not just weavers. Firebrand, Renegade are all stupidly simple to play and get throughput out of and they are sizable DPS gains over any HoT spec.

Stop moving the goalposts.

These overperformers need nerfs. The specs shouldn't be having benchmarks beyond the 33-34k range. It's unhealthy for the game to periodically be raising the DPS ceiling by as much as 7k+ while the health of the mobs stays static.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the same too. that's why i like fractals more. and i do my dailies with pugs. it's more interesting cuz you never know what you gonna get when it comes to pugs. some are good, know the fights and mechanics well, dps is not bad either, some just feel like they need to reroll in t1 to learn more about the mechanics. lol.

i've been switching gears as well as infusions back and forth to a few characters. in the end, i decide to stay on chrono and scourge. scourge is super helpful in 99cm and 100cm and overall with normal fractals with projectiles management. while they also give allies barrier to keep them safe if their stuff are on cd. at the same time aoe condi cleanse every 4s, i feel like my pugs go down less when i play on a scourge vs a reaper. it's a big change in comparison. not many run scourge now though. cuz they probably follow the meta and think it's shit. whereas on my chrono i could mitigate attacks and help them stay alive better.

the reason raids get to this point cuz meta. these optimal builds are great for dps meter, but overall you have holy trinity roles with tank, healer and dps, you're just facetanking anything and could do your rotation in your sleep. same could apply in fractals too if you bump into what look like a small raid squad, with healer, and tank. but with a full dps group, that's where it's at xD

Based on the title of this thread, I would say its not "more" skill but skill of a different nature for sure. I have ran very few fracts even though I have the AR to do the higher ones as they are just a tad difficult for me, whereas with raids I love it. A lot of that is based on the groups I go with mostly are going for fast clears and I am so new to the fights that I struggle with mechanics and all. Lag doesn't help for sure, playing with a Guildie and he is in Calif sitting on like 50 ping and I see him dodge the orbs in that nightmare one while my toon hits every 2nd one!! Ah well, they can still be fun once you get stuck in.

So yea, more skill doesn't really paint the right picture, just using your skills (or lack thereof) in a different way is all. ;)

> @Zenith.7301 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > CMs are done by meta parties, there's no real diff from raids.

> >

> > P.S. Also everyone can break above 20k.

>

> Who the kitten cares to do comparisons to suboptimal setups? Games are balanced around competent players in serious formats. SPVP is not balanced around unranked yolo troll builds and WvW isn't balanced around roaming duels. Why should PvE be any different?

>

> Just drop the BS and stop pretending like weaver isn't consistently putting sizable gaps in throughput when you've already been provided that despite being the most popular DPS spec in raids used by many people, it still outperforms the other specs.

>

> And it's not just weavers. Firebrand, Renegade are all stupidly simple to play and get throughput out of and they are sizable DPS gains over any HoT spec.

>

> Stop moving the goalposts.

>

> These overperformers need nerfs. The specs shouldn't be having benchmarks beyond the 33-34k range. It's unhealthy for the game to periodically be raising the DPS ceiling by as much as 7k+ while the health of the mobs stays static.

The "overperformers" get their "overperformance" at a cost. These dps specs have consistently less, and less reliable CC for instance. Weaver has zero utility, unlike Tempest. Nerf the "overperformers" and they become useless. That's not how you balance a game. Just out of curiosity, how many games have *you* balanced?

> @Feanor.2358 said:

> > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > CMs are done by meta parties, there's no real diff from raids.

> > >

> > > P.S. Also everyone can break above 20k.

> >

> > Who the kitten cares to do comparisons to suboptimal setups? Games are balanced around competent players in serious formats. SPVP is not balanced around unranked yolo troll builds and WvW isn't balanced around roaming duels. Why should PvE be any different?

> >

> > Just drop the BS and stop pretending like weaver isn't consistently putting sizable gaps in throughput when you've already been provided that despite being the most popular DPS spec in raids used by many people, it still outperforms the other specs.

> >

> > And it's not just weavers. Firebrand, Renegade are all stupidly simple to play and get throughput out of and they are sizable DPS gains over any HoT spec.

> >

> > Stop moving the goalposts.

> >

> > These overperformers need nerfs. The specs shouldn't be having benchmarks beyond the 33-34k range. It's unhealthy for the game to periodically be raising the DPS ceiling by as much as 7k+ while the health of the mobs stays static.

>

> The "overperformers" get their "overperformance" at a cost. These dps specs have consistently less, and less reliable CC for instance. Weaver has zero utility, unlike Tempest. Nerf the "overperformers" and they become useless. That's not how you balance a game. Just out of curiosity, how many games have *you* balanced?

Well what the Devs did to scourge and necro overall.... this is prety much how devs balance sadly.....

> @Zoltreez.6435 said:

> Well what the Devs did to scourge and necro overall.... this is prety much how devs balance sadly.....

You mean fixing unintended trait interactions that made a support do more dps than a dps ?

I mean sounds like balance to me, if they'd fix the supportive aspect.

> @Zenith.7301 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > > CMs are done by meta parties, there's no real diff from raids.

> > > >

> > > > P.S. Also everyone can break above 20k.

> > >

> > > Who the kitten cares to do comparisons to suboptimal setups? Games are balanced around competent players in serious formats. SPVP is not balanced around unranked yolo troll builds and WvW isn't balanced around roaming duels. Why should PvE be any different?

> > >

> > > Just drop the BS and stop pretending like weaver isn't consistently putting sizable gaps in throughput when you've already been provided that despite being the most popular DPS spec in raids used by many people, it still outperforms the other specs.

> > >

> > > And it's not just weavers. Firebrand, Renegade are all stupidly simple to play and get throughput out of and they are sizable DPS gains over any HoT spec.

> > >

> > > Stop moving the goalposts.

> > >

> > > These overperformers need nerfs. The specs shouldn't be having benchmarks beyond the 33-34k range. It's unhealthy for the game to periodically be raising the DPS ceiling by as much as 7k+ while the health of the mobs stays static.

> >

> > The "overperformers" get their "overperformance" at a cost. These dps specs have consistently less, and less reliable CC for instance. Weaver has zero utility, unlike Tempest. Nerf the "overperformers" and they become useless. That's not how you balance a game. Just out of curiosity, how many games have *you* balanced?

>

> How many have YOU?

One.

> @Zenith.7301 said:

> Tempest brings no utility whatsoever in PvE over weaver besides a healing spec. Ele has always had redundant utility. As has condi ranger given if you want to actually do DPS you're not taking spotter or any CC, just as soulbeast does. If you swap lynx out for wyvern, it's a sizable DPS loss all the same.

>

> Firebrand utility is off the chains superior to dragonhunter, so I don't know what in hell you're talking about. It's not like a raid or fractal with a chronomancer in it has much difficulty doing any damage to breakbars.

>

> In the case of scourge it was pretty much an upgrade in everything to reaper and core necromancer, both in utility and DPS.

Tempest does bring a lot of utility, some for the group and some for himself. Stability on overload is something I really appreciated when I began playing Weaver. Gale Song is obvious. There's extra might from Fire overload, too, as well as extra vuln from Air. Which counts for something. Last but not least, a Tempest CC is easier to access and loses less dps than Weaver's.

Condi ranger was lacking in dps after the last balance pass, hence Soulbeast gave a much needed boost in dps, making it competitive. Same for Mirage btw.

Firebrand has awesome utility and tad too much damage, so it is indeed overperforming a little. But only a little. DH can outperform it in terms of raw dps on certain encounters and doesn't rely on sharing AotJ for it.

Scourge needs help right away.

The point is, claiming PoF specs are overperforming is generalizing based on golem results. You're tunnel-visioning on the numbers and disregarding all the gameplay. You can't balance a game based on so little information. You can only break it.

> @Nephalem.8921 said:

> But Weaver is also overperforming on actual Bosses in fracs and raids. Try to beat a Weaver on 100 and 99 cm Bosses as holo or dh. They have to screw up a lot for that.

> Tempest defense needs to go as a trait. And damage vs big hitbox is just too high in general.

Weaver is more reliant on your team to pull off good dps. Sure, the burst is high. But it is its only feature. There's no reason to play weaver aside from what the build can do as burst against large hitbox.

> @Nephalem.8921 said:

> But Weaver is also overperforming on actual Bosses in fracs and raids. Try to beat a Weaver on 100 and 99 cm Bosses as holo or dh. They have to screw up a lot for that.

> Tempest defense needs to go as a trait. And damage vs big hitbox is just too high in general.

Weaver and Tempest rely very heavily on the large-hitbox exploit to get high DPS. It’s not the traits causing the discrepancy, it’s the multi-strike AOEs. Power Tempest is trash tier against small-hitbox and Power Weaver is little better. Condi builds are within expectation given their respective support/sustain characteristics.

> @Zenith.7301 said:

> > @Tarasicodissa.7084 said:

> > I tend to agree with the OP, but perhaps for a different reason. As much as I love raids, to this day I still consider dungeons and fractals superior content. Raids have taught us how to produce decent sustained DPS, besides open burst, which was the only thing you needed in dungeons. But at the same time raids have robbed us of interesting gameplay **outside of boss fights**. A HUGE factor dictating how efficiently a team can complete a dungeon/fractal is how well they can conduct themselves in between bosses. Stacking stealth, pathing mobs, pre-stacking might, swapping weapons for maximum mobility and handling some jumping puzzle-like sections. This level of micromanagement is completely irrelevant in raids and will not have any noticeable impact on your clear times.

> >

> > I just wish some future raids will be designed more like dungeons and stealth-skipping will be mandatory if your objective is time efficiency. Also bring back pre-stacking buffs. If my memory serves me right, it used to work in super early versions of raids, but was removed for later on. If you feel it's necessary, you can compensate for that by adding corresponding amount of HP to bosses.

>

> I hope not. I don't miss the stupid micromanagement of bag windows and clicking items in the middle of a dungeon for efficiency.

>

> Nor do I miss the stealth skips. Why even put mobs there if you're going to stealth skip them. Guild Wars 1 had it right, they had tough trash packs like in the Foundry of Failed Creations that you had to approach with some thought. In this game, the burst is out of control.

>

> I hope they do a global damage reduction at some point. Phase skipping should never be a thing. The test of fight should be doing mechanics consistently for a set amount of time with unforgiving mechanics. FFXIV gets this right in savage mode fights. Neo Exdeath even on farm takes 10 minutes of properly executing mechanics, and more than 2 deaths lead to a wipe due to the fight's tight tuning.

>

> This game needs to reign in the massive power creep they've created with each xpac.

Agreed. The DPS output is crazy nowadays and ruins a lot of mechanics. qT/SC/[insert elite guild names] players are not even better at mechanics, they just do so crazy dmg compared to average players. So in the end those players will fail a lot of mechanics in normal raids groups because they are not used to doing them... I see it all the time, people from top tier guilds doing good DPS on the ArcDPS chart, but failing mechanics due not being used to having to care about them.

> @Malediktus.9250 said:

> > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > @Tarasicodissa.7084 said:

> > > I tend to agree with the OP, but perhaps for a different reason. As much as I love raids, to this day I still consider dungeons and fractals superior content. Raids have taught us how to produce decent sustained DPS, besides open burst, which was the only thing you needed in dungeons. But at the same time raids have robbed us of interesting gameplay **outside of boss fights**. A HUGE factor dictating how efficiently a team can complete a dungeon/fractal is how well they can conduct themselves in between bosses. Stacking stealth, pathing mobs, pre-stacking might, swapping weapons for maximum mobility and handling some jumping puzzle-like sections. This level of micromanagement is completely irrelevant in raids and will not have any noticeable impact on your clear times.

> > >

> > > I just wish some future raids will be designed more like dungeons and stealth-skipping will be mandatory if your objective is time efficiency. Also bring back pre-stacking buffs. If my memory serves me right, it used to work in super early versions of raids, but was removed for later on. If you feel it's necessary, you can compensate for that by adding corresponding amount of HP to bosses.

> >

> > I hope not. I don't miss the stupid micromanagement of bag windows and clicking items in the middle of a dungeon for efficiency.

> >

> > Nor do I miss the stealth skips. Why even put mobs there if you're going to stealth skip them. Guild Wars 1 had it right, they had tough trash packs like in the Foundry of Failed Creations that you had to approach with some thought. In this game, the burst is out of control.

> >

> > I hope they do a global damage reduction at some point. Phase skipping should never be a thing. The test of fight should be doing mechanics consistently for a set amount of time with unforgiving mechanics. FFXIV gets this right in savage mode fights. Neo Exdeath even on farm takes 10 minutes of properly executing mechanics, and more than 2 deaths lead to a wipe due to the fight's tight tuning.

> >

> > This game needs to reign in the massive power creep they've created with each xpac.

>

> Agreed. The DPS output is crazy nowadays and ruins a lot of mechanics. qT/SC/[insert elite guild names] players are not even better at mechanics, they just do so crazy dmg compared to average players. So in the end those players will fail a lot of mechanics in normal raids groups because they are not used to doing them... I see it all the time, people from top tier guilds doing good DPS on the ArcDPS chart, but failing mechanics due not being used to having to care about them.

I don't understand why this would be true. We all have the same ascended stats. And the rotations for every class/build are well known. What voodoo would allow QT (for example) to do damage inaccessible to the average raider?

lets be real, both are easy if others dont make mistakes/die often

the only way anything in gw2 can be truly hard for me is if the boss does unexpected attacks, or random attacks that i can't anticipate (which i really want to happen)... cuz everything in pve right now is a cake walk for me.

it's why i enjoy pvp/wvw more than pve these days

open scary door..........trash packs, practice your skills cc's etc.....BOSS.....trash packs, maybe more this time, some strats.......BOSS......yet again trash (it makes for gelling as a team,who can cc, who can't)....... BIG 'OL BOSS!! mechanics...pewpew...mechanics...pewpew (don't die!) and BOSS deaded. RNGesus loves or hates you. Dust off and come back again next week.

That's old school raids (or was).

GW2= enter portal.......talk to someone small......BOSS......maybe trash run (spirits, trio, ?).....BOSS.......BOSS.......pewpew and all the above rinse repeat to the next "wing".

Not sure why I even posted this.......lol. :3

> @Fallesafe.5932 said:

> > @Malediktus.9250 said:

> > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> > > > @Tarasicodissa.7084 said:

> > > > I tend to agree with the OP, but perhaps for a different reason. As much as I love raids, to this day I still consider dungeons and fractals superior content. Raids have taught us how to produce decent sustained DPS, besides open burst, which was the only thing you needed in dungeons. But at the same time raids have robbed us of interesting gameplay **outside of boss fights**. A HUGE factor dictating how efficiently a team can complete a dungeon/fractal is how well they can conduct themselves in between bosses. Stacking stealth, pathing mobs, pre-stacking might, swapping weapons for maximum mobility and handling some jumping puzzle-like sections. This level of micromanagement is completely irrelevant in raids and will not have any noticeable impact on your clear times.

> > > >

> > > > I just wish some future raids will be designed more like dungeons and stealth-skipping will be mandatory if your objective is time efficiency. Also bring back pre-stacking buffs. If my memory serves me right, it used to work in super early versions of raids, but was removed for later on. If you feel it's necessary, you can compensate for that by adding corresponding amount of HP to bosses.

> > >

> > > I hope not. I don't miss the stupid micromanagement of bag windows and clicking items in the middle of a dungeon for efficiency.

> > >

> > > Nor do I miss the stealth skips. Why even put mobs there if you're going to stealth skip them. Guild Wars 1 had it right, they had tough trash packs like in the Foundry of Failed Creations that you had to approach with some thought. In this game, the burst is out of control.

> > >

> > > I hope they do a global damage reduction at some point. Phase skipping should never be a thing. The test of fight should be doing mechanics consistently for a set amount of time with unforgiving mechanics. FFXIV gets this right in savage mode fights. Neo Exdeath even on farm takes 10 minutes of properly executing mechanics, and more than 2 deaths lead to a wipe due to the fight's tight tuning.

> > >

> > > This game needs to reign in the massive power creep they've created with each xpac.

> >

> > Agreed. The DPS output is crazy nowadays and ruins a lot of mechanics. qT/SC/[insert elite guild names] players are not even better at mechanics, they just do so crazy dmg compared to average players. So in the end those players will fail a lot of mechanics in normal raids groups because they are not used to doing them... I see it all the time, people from top tier guilds doing good DPS on the ArcDPS chart, but failing mechanics due not being used to having to care about them.

>

> I don't understand why this would be true. We all have the same ascended stats. And the rotations for every class/build are well known. What voodoo would allow QT (for example) to do damage inaccessible to the average raider?

Teamwork and effort. Building the whole comp around maximized damage and then utilizing everything available to allow the dps classes to *only* dps. No dodges, no heals, just dps. And, of course, much practice on the rotations. Not just from the dps classes either. And, of course, much practice in the actual fights, tweaking the rotations to get even better results.

That's ultimately a positive thing to have in the game. Because it rewards skill and it rewards gameplay interaction between players, thus encouraging said interaction.

> @Samnang.1879 said:

> lets be real, both are easy if others dont make mistakes/die often

> the only way anything in gw2 can be truly hard for me is if the boss does unexpected attacks, or random attacks that i can't anticipate (which i really want to happen)

The problem with this is, it's just RNG. KC has some of that, with the randomly spawning circles making you spread out. In the end you can just brute-force the encounter, getting lucky with no circles spawned at all. And it doesn't feel rewarding. It doesn't feel like you've beaten the encounter, it feels like you got lucky. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying everything should be strictly scripted with no RNG at all. It's OK to have some of that. But I wouldn't go much further than KC in this respect.

> @Feanor.2358 said:

> Yeah, yeah, I know. Every chrono keeps 100% quickness and alacrity, while distorting everything. Druid, chrono and PS do all the CC instantly, you never drop below 25 might with a ps in a party and 25 vuln just appear out of thin air. Also all raid runs are uploaded to gw2raidar, not just the successful ones. Nice little fantasy you've built yourself.

Weird, I have yet to play a raid pug where the chronos, druids and PS failed the CC, where quickness/alacrity had less than 100% uptime, where might was ever an issue, and where vulnerabiltiy wasn't constantly maxed.

Perhaps the problem you keep having is that you are playing with terrible builds? Because you seem to be the common factor in the terrible runs you're talking about, while the rest of us can play with randoms and not have any of those issues.

And yeah, weaver DPS is completely and utterly broken when the weaver player is decent enough.

>You mean fixing unintended trait interactions that made a support do more dps than a dps ?

Scourge? Support? Kekbur. Good luck bringing one to a group, what with scourge not offering any support a group actually needs, wants, or gives a kitten about.

Chrono already has better defenses than barrier with complete damage immunity in distortion, which, by the way, lasts as long as barrier. Unlike barrier, it blocks ANYTHING.

Might stacking? Oh, at a third to half the might range of a warrior, that sure is useful - and by useful I mean far worse than warrior might stacking. And that warrior does it not just faster and more consistently, that warrior also does more DPS AND adds banners AND empower allies.

Scourge is crippled "support" for baddies. Nobody needs or wants that in a serious group - a drunken cPS warrior that's missing half the rotation is providing more to the group.

> @Maunzi.3764 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > Yeah, yeah, I know. Every chrono keeps 100% quickness and alacrity, while distorting everything. Druid, chrono and PS do all the CC instantly, you never drop below 25 might with a ps in a party and 25 vuln just appear out of thin air. Also all raid runs are uploaded to gw2raidar, not just the successful ones. Nice little fantasy you've built yourself.

>

> Weird, I have yet to play a raid pug where the chronos, druids and PS failed the CC, where quickness/alacrity had less than 100% uptime, where might was ever an issue, and where vulnerabiltiy wasn't constantly maxed.

>

> Perhaps the problem you keep having is that you are playing with terrible builds? Because you seem to be the common factor in the terrible runs you're talking about, while the rest of us can play with randoms and not have any of those issues.

>

>

Sorry, I'm not buying that. For the record, my builds are the meta ones and I'm playing in a static which clears everything on a weekly basis. We never have perfect 100% uptime on quickness and alacrity and our cc got noticeably slower when PoF hit and everybody went for the new dps builds. I should also point out that prior to joining my current team I used to pug and I very rarely found a team which didn't suffer from all of the above issues, on a considerably higher scale. I'm **so** not buying that.

> @"Amicable Pugs.4503" said:

> Yeah fractals are so hard, i rly focus on survivability as seen here:

>

> Totally not just doing rotations.

the song ruined the video. i don't know if it's even called music or just a depressed woman whining with a terrible voice and terrible music.

> @Cynn.1659 said:

> > @Zenith.7301 said:

>

> > More than the LSD trip you've been taking in saying Weaver is anything close to balanced and that their numbers advantage is only on a golem.

>

> Seems balanced just fine to me.

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/gFlzoXl.png "")

>

>

>

......With the other class I just pointed out also needs nerfing as a result of power creep. But I'm glad you pulled up an irrelevant anecdote and chose to disregard the gw2raidar global stats.

> @Zenith.7301 said:

> > @Cynn.1659 said:

> > > @Zenith.7301 said:

> >

> > > More than the LSD trip you've been taking in saying Weaver is anything close to balanced and that their numbers advantage is only on a golem.

> >

> > Seems balanced just fine to me.

> > ![](https://i.imgur.com/gFlzoXl.png "")

> >

> >

> >

>

> ......With the other class I just pointed out also needs nerfing as a result of power creep. But I'm glad you pulled up an irrelevant anecdote and chose to disregard the gw2raidar global stats.

According to raidar global stats I'm usually somewhere between 75 and 90 percentile in Weaver damage output. My usual experience when both playing with my pretty casual raid static and pugging fractal CMs shows Tempests, Dragonhunters, Firebrands and Soulbeasts - which is to say, all the popular dps builds at the moment - producing pretty comparable damage output. Sometimes I'm a little ahead, sometimes I'm a little behind. On rare occasions I'm a lot ahead, but that's just L2P issue rather than my build being overpowered. I don't really have much experience with Renegades, but when I tried playing one on specific encounters its dps was comparable, too. Mirage seems to be more of a niche thing, but it is incredibly reliable in its damage output and is my preferred choice for both Matthias and Cairn. I imagine it will also be pretty decent on 100 CM, only lacking in the split phase of Skorvald. Scourges are usually a little more behind, which only means they need some buffing. And even with their lacking damage we still opt to have one on both MO and Xera fights in my team.

Unless you believe I'm somehow that lucky to always pug into players in 90th percentile (which would be pretty ridiculous), the imbalance you speak of just isn't there. Sure, there are builds with incredible burst and others with incredible reliability. Some excel on one fights, some shine on others. It's called diversity.