Idling through story text bloat

Equanox.2081

Hi Guys,

Just wanting to give a bit of feedback on stories in Gw2. Every single story, HoT, PoF and the living stories have tedious amounts of text. I just find myself standing there for 3-10 minutes just to click a NPC again and skip through more lines of text. The first time it's ok because it's new and exciting but I really hate doing the stories on different characters because of this (or try to get achievements done). In short I find there is way too much text bloat in story missions. Please have an option to skip parts after you've done it once or just find nice and fun ways to get the story across.

ArenaNet always told us they want to make a game that they love to play themselves. I cannot imagine they like standing still for ages for text to pass just so you can 'talk' to an npc.

Would like to know what other people think.

Cheers!

After playing through POF a couple more times on my alts, having a skip function on many of the bloated talking segments would be great.

The Kormir library for example, you have a literal 13 minutes wall of npc talk/text where you can happily afk for a solid 13 minutes.

Hence that other day when me and a couple of friends played through it, we knew of this part and decided to take our tea, toilet, food break at this time.

Utterly ridiculous really, and don't even get me started on the Departed mission, that is just as much of a bore fest.

> @"Alvarez Azel.4083" said:

> After playing through POF a couple more times on my alts, having a skip function on many of the bloated talking segments would be great.

> The Kormir library for example, you have a literal 13 minutes wall of npc talk/text where you can happily afk for a solid 13 minutes.

> Hence that other day when me and a couple of friends played through it, we knew of this part and decided to take our tea, toilet, food break at this time.

> Utterly ridiculous really, and don't even get me started on the Departed mission, that is just as much of a bore fest.

I remember my friend a week or so ago that didn't play the past stories yet wanted to help rush through the story just to get to the Griffon.

When that Library/Kormir part came up, I remember how long and boring it could be... especially if you're blanking out the whole situation for now as he plan on watching it when he seen the past events 1st. We went around exploring the library during that time and still remember getting into the "hidden" area and one of the npcs were like "What are you doing? You should be listening to Kormir!" or something and I was just, "No. I rather not. Nope. Heard it already. Don't need to again."

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> I cant imagine the Departed past the first playthrough is anywhere near fun.

>

> I don't think anyone enjoys being a punching bag for a predetermined outcome, especially one with 4 phases.

I am not a fan of that particular RPG trope either but if you think about it for a bit every encounter has a predetermined outcome.

> @"Alvarez Azel.4083" said:

> After playing through POF a couple more times on my alts, having a skip function on many of the bloated talking segments would be great.

> The Kormir library for example, you have a literal 13 minutes wall of npc talk/text where you can happily afk for a solid 13 minutes.

> Hence that other day when me and a couple of friends played through it, we knew of this part and decided to take our tea, toilet, food break at this time.

> Utterly ridiculous really, and don't even get me started on the Departed mission, that is just as much of a bore fest.

Totally agree! There are so much more nicer ways to get the story across. They rely heavily on textwalls/npc chat. Even if you have to stand still 3-5 minutes its so demotivating since it takes up a lot of time when you want to complete a few story chapters in a row.

Glad I'm not the only one. Let's see what they do with living story 4!

> @KidRoleplay.3615 said:

> If it helps, on some story missions, you can "skip" large amounts of conversation by advancing to the next areas while they're in the middle of talking. Canach might remark about how rude you're being though, but results are results!

That might be true and be helpfull but it's unclear to me when this is possible. Sometimes I move forward only to have to walk back to 'activate' NPC's to walk forward.

+1

Did the story twice now , second time I was done in 2 evenings of not-so-excessive gaming. If you'd taken those parts OP describes away, it'd probably been just 1 evening.

Honestly I don't know what's more bothering. The issue OP describes or -if you like to think about it that way- how tiny the newly added content really is, if you fade out the things that are 100% gimmicky, but were not needed at all (mounts, new elite specs). :/

> @KidRoleplay.3615 said:

> If it helps, on some story missions, you can "skip" large amounts of conversation by advancing to the next areas while they're in the middle of talking. Canach might remark about how rude you're being though, but results are results!

Good advice, though a dangerous one. It happened to me that the complete instance can bug out when proceding too fast :(

> @Equanox.2081 said:

> > @KidRoleplay.3615 said:

> > If it helps, on some story missions, you can "skip" large amounts of conversation by advancing to the next areas while they're in the middle of talking. Canach might remark about how rude you're being though, but results are results!

>

> That might be true and be helpfull but it's unclear to me when this is possible. Sometimes I move forward only to have to walk back to 'activate' NPC's to walk forward.

and sometimes that will break the instance and then you have to redo everything obliterating any time that could have been saved