HOT Maps best ever in mmo history

Fingolfin.8635

I am a veteran of many mmo's and the vertical maps in HOT are the best. Though I can understand why they went with flat maps in POF. Its because the masteries will be hard to obtain once POF comes out.

I turned up to the HOT party late, very late and as it stands now its hard to train for the masteries. This makes me sad. I will get to, no endurance while gliding, and will most likely not level the ley lines mastery. Or it will take a long while.

And will most likely not level any of the other lore, because you don't need it in POF. Again if I do it will take ages.

> @Fingolfin.8635 said:

> Though I can understand why they went with flat maps in POF.

POF maps won't be all flat. We've seen more than enough pictures of cliffs with suspension bridges, huge structures that reach high up, canyons and so on. It won't be the same kind of vertical as HOT, but it won't be completely flat either.

> @Fingolfin.8635 said:

> I am a veteran of many mmo's and the vertical maps in HOT are the best. Though I can understand why they went with flat maps in POF. Its because the masteries will be hard to obtain once POF comes out.

>

> I turned up to the HOT party late, very late and as it stands now its hard to train for the masteries. This makes me sad. I will get to, no endurance while gliding, and will most likely not level the ley lines mastery. Or it will take a long while.

>

> And will most likely not level any of the other lore, because you don't need it in POF. Again if I do it will take ages.

>

You can keep on training gliding even after PoF because you choose which Tree to train after each level-up. You can level-up gliding while playing PoF, then switch to Raptor mount, then go back to HoT mastery, then do the Mantis mastery ect... It's up to you what you want to experience first.

> @"Nabuko Darayon.9645" said:

> > @Fingolfin.8635 said:

> > I am a veteran of many mmo's and the vertical maps in HOT are the best. Though I can understand why they went with flat maps in POF. Its because the masteries will be hard to obtain once POF comes out.

> >

> > I turned up to the HOT party late, very late and as it stands now its hard to train for the masteries. This makes me sad. I will get to, no endurance while gliding, and will most likely not level the ley lines mastery. Or it will take a long while.

> >

> > And will most likely not level any of the other lore, because you don't need it in POF. Again if I do it will take ages.

> >

>

> You can keep on training gliding even after PoF because you choose which Tree to train after each level-up. You can level-up gliding while playing PoF, then switch to Raptor mount, then go back to HoT mastery, then do the Mantis mastery ect... It's up to you what you want to experience first.

I'm not sure one could use Path of Fire XP to level up Heart of Thorns Masteries. You can't use Core Tyria XP to level up HoT Masteries, and vice versa. No reason to believe that PoF XP would work for HoT or Core Tyria Masteries, and again, vice versa.

> @"Nabuko Darayon.9645" said:

> > @Fingolfin.8635 said:

> > I am a veteran of many mmo's and the vertical maps in HOT are the best. Though I can understand why they went with flat maps in POF. Its because the masteries will be hard to obtain once POF comes out.

> >

> > I turned up to the HOT party late, very late and as it stands now its hard to train for the masteries. This makes me sad. I will get to, no endurance while gliding, and will most likely not level the ley lines mastery. Or it will take a long while.

> >

> > And will most likely not level any of the other lore, because you don't need it in POF. Again if I do it will take ages.

> >

>

> You can keep on training gliding even after PoF because you choose which Tree to train after each level-up. You can level-up gliding while playing PoF, then switch to Raptor mount, then go back to HoT mastery, then do the Mantis mastery ect... It's up to you what you want to experience first.

As inculpatus says. This is not true. Hot masteries can only be trained in LS3 or Hot maps. But check out the achievements. You can finish them quickly with a birthday booster and doing adventures. Searching voor mastery insights etc. Focus on the gliding skill and leave the others for a bit. And you can easily max them before the 22th

> @Fingolfin.8635 said:

> I am a veteran of many mmo's and the vertical maps in HOT are the best. Though I can understand why they went with flat maps in POF. Its because the masteries will be hard to obtain once POF comes out.

>

> I turned up to the HOT party late, very late and as it stands now its hard to train for the masteries. This makes me sad. I will get to, no endurance while gliding, and will most likely not level the ley lines mastery. Or it will take a long while.

>

> And will most likely not level any of the other lore, because you don't need it in POF. Again if I do it will take ages.

>

I agree 100%, although I have to acknowledge the fact that HoT provokes strong reactions either way. What I absolutely love about the HoT maps are the same things many other players can't stand about them.

I am a bit confused on your comments regarding the mastery system, however. Why are you having trouble gaining mastery points? Most of them are a solo affair (strongboxes, insights, story completion, adventures). If you're having difficulty completing meta events, I assume you're just new to HoT and haven't figured out how this works yet.

Tip: Familiarize yourself with meta event times for each map and use LFG to find an organized map prior to the meta. If you don't do this, chances are good that you will end up on a dead map because other players are using LFG to leave your map and move to a map that's organizing for the meta.

It's a common perception among new players that don't yet understand this that the HoT maps are dead/dying. They aren't. The reason you end up seeing a low population dialogue around meta time is due to other players condensing on the meta maps, leaving depleted maps behind. So while they're all going to do the meta, you wonder where everyone went as you hop from depleted map to depleted map.

They are great indeed, you can get a experience feel of being endangered or lost in the jungle.

I love to explore them, and I'm worried that PoF maps won't give me that feeling.

Especially when their size (the most important attribute) will be probalby dimmed by the use of mounts (which are great in their own way).

I also love the vertical maps so much. Its brilliant take on exploring and use of space. There are some big problems with this maps however. Biggest drawback of HoT specifically and big part of core Tyria is the lack of hidden places and especially dungeons. Not instanced, separate areas(Ascalonian catacombs type of Dungeon), but hidden caves, crevices, tunnels, rooms and all kind of places that any respectable game with "RPG" in its description should have! And the verticality gives even more opportunities to put such spots into the map.

Despite this huge (for me) drawback, the vertical maps are better in any other way. There should be flat areas too, but every game should start building heavily their worlds that way.

Its Revolutionary, and I don't wanna look back!

> @AliamRationem.5172 said:

> > @Demeth.5816 said:

> > Tangled depths is my. Favorite map, is something wrong with me?

>

> Mine too! Verdant Brink comes in second for me. And I love Auric Basin, too! Dragon's Stand is the only one I'm not a fan of. I just don't like the way the event cycle works on that map.

DS is a beautiful empty space, that feels unfinished and pointless outside of the meta event. Such shame.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Nabuko Darayon.9645" said:

> > > @Fingolfin.8635 said:

> > > I am a veteran of many mmo's and the vertical maps in HOT are the best. Though I can understand why they went with flat maps in POF. Its because the masteries will be hard to obtain once POF comes out.

> > >

> > > I turned up to the HOT party late, very late and as it stands now its hard to train for the masteries. This makes me sad. I will get to, no endurance while gliding, and will most likely not level the ley lines mastery. Or it will take a long while.

> > >

> > > And will most likely not level any of the other lore, because you don't need it in POF. Again if I do it will take ages.

> > >

> >

> > You can keep on training gliding even after PoF because you choose which Tree to train after each level-up. You can level-up gliding while playing PoF, then switch to Raptor mount, then go back to HoT mastery, then do the Mantis mastery ect... It's up to you what you want to experience first.

>

> I'm not sure one could use Path of Fire XP to level up Heart of Thorns Masteries. You can't use Core Tyria XP to level up HoT Masteries, and vice versa. No reason to believe that PoF XP would work for HoT or Core Tyria Masteries, and again, vice versa.

>

>

Oh yes you're right there I completely forgot that we had to do Core Tyria for those Masteries like the dungeons. I will edit my post

I would argue that we don't really get verticality done right until Draconis Mons.

If you like gliding in the canopy in Verdant Brink, you will LOVE grappling about with Oakheart's Essence and gliding all over in Draconis Mons.

Gliding in Bloodstone fen is fun too thanks to all the updrafts and leylines and the gliding skills, but it's not as fun without Oakheart's Essence.

It would have been absolutely great if they had returned to previous S3 and HoT maps and added some essences in some spots. In a limited way, like how you can only use Bloodstone Fen gliding skins in Lake Doric after touching a leyline, you'd lose the essence if you move too far from the object that gives it.

Excelsior.

I am with the thread creator in that matter. I remember the (real) fun of gliding through the places, no invisible walls, almost all ledges I saw I could stand on (and not just fake things where you slide off for no reason or ram your head into an invisible wall). And when not, I dropped, recovered glider energy and saved myself on some random liana and it was great. I once literally glided for minutes straight due to all the updrafts while I saw Mordrem and players fighting each other from like 50m height.

Also, as hobby mapper in several games, it really takes A LOT of patience to create levels like this. Especially the density of the flora is immense, and I think only people who use map editors often can appreciate it to the fullest. However, the map is very useless of course, even though you can change trough the layers of course.

Or...maybe it's from too much MegaDrive platforming games where falling down a water fall made the infamous "Bo-Bomm" sound in Sonic The Hedgehog, and now falling down a waterfall means gliding like a squirrel and not necessary death anymore :+1: :)

Don't forget that LS3 has some mastery points in it too, and they count as HoT points. You'll want to spend some of them, but you don't NEED any but the first. I'd skip the final LS3 mastery for sure, it's rarely used and only in that one zone.

As for reaching Mastery Points in the main HoT zones themselves? Just make sure you have bouncing mushrooms, and as much of the gliding line as you can get. Then when you get the mounts in PoF, you can take them with you back into HoT and use their movement abilities to try for some you couldn't get before.

I didn't appreciate the verticality of HoT maps until LWS3 tbh. They really imo got it down there. It took me a way to enjoy HoT maps; I get the hate it is so different. I also started to enjoy them once I got adv gliding lol life changing - ley line too but the most frustrating thing was running out of energy gliding. Why always tell my new guildies to HoT get mushroom, then go full on gliding till adv. Makes HoT so much more appreciated.

To me the HoT maps are fantastic. AB is my least favorite map and I quite like it. VB and TD are brilliant. And I even like Dragon Stand, but I hate the timer that kicks me out. I've completed each of the HoT maps many times. 36 times for VB and 14 times for TD (so far). AB almost as many times as VB and DS more times than TD. Good stuff. I really do like map complexity

Map design is definitly not a problem in this game and it wasnt for pvp either some players made things a problem that were not one of the problems. Even the old skyhammer was nice in its own way. Raid on the capricorn was one of the best maps they had. Eternal battlegrounds is well designed. Some mechanics are annoying like trebs and I think that is more of a problem due to conquest being the only format and being stuck with them as the only thing to play. I do feel cursed shores a bit outdated feeling though.

On topic video ive watched this many times

Edit : courtyards design was a problem especially for being the only map of its type. The quality of design is good some of the choices are bad.