Question about Griffon prerequisite

Warborn.3621

> @Taelac.7036 said:

> You will at minimum need to finish the entire story, have a Skimmer mount, and have a Springer mount mastered through High Vault. You'll probably find it easier to fully master the Springer and to take the Skimmer at least as far as Ride the Wind.

This is correct.

You need the skimmer to get across the Dragonbrand because otherwise the brandstorm will kill you. (It might be possible without it, but probably not) and you need either the springer or the jackal to get to the Griffon Sanctuary.

You also need to finish the PoF storyline because otherwise the sanctuary is abandoned and you can't start the collections.

> @Danikat.8537 said:

> > @Taelac.7036 said:

> > You will at minimum need to finish the entire story, have a Skimmer mount, and have a Springer mount mastered through High Vault. You'll probably find it easier to fully master the Springer and to take the Skimmer at least as far as Ride the Wind.

>

> This is correct.

>

> You need the skimmer to get across the Dragonbrand because otherwise the brandstorm will kill you. (It might be possible without it, but probably not) and you need either the springer or the jackal to get to the Griffon Sanctuary.

>

> You also need to finish the PoF storyline because otherwise the sanctuary is abandoned and you can't start the collections.

You don't need skimmer for the Brand it is just annoying. On my first character I did all of that section with a raptor.

Ah ok. As soon as I read the description for the brandstorm effect I switched to the skimmer so I could ignore it. I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that you need the skimmer to get the griffon so I assumed it was necessary. Although come to think of it I also heard you need the jackal and tier 3 mastery (to use the sand portals) and I was able to get around that just by using the springer.

It might also be possible to just use a Teleport to Friend (and a friend) to reach the sanctuary without needing any of the other mounts. But then I'm not sure if you can complete the collections without them as I've only just reached that point.

> @Taelac.7036 said:

> You will at minimum need to finish the entire story, have a Skimmer mount, and have a Springer mount mastered through High Vault. You'll probably find it easier to fully master the Springer and to take the Skimmer at least as far as Ride the Wind.

I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that (possibly unless you have assistance) you need the Skimmer to complete the PS anyway. Physical entry to the last episode of Act 2 is gated behind it. But that, and basic Springer for the last story in Act 1, was the only deliberate gating I spotted.

Everyone is correct, depending on how you look at it.

Technically, you just need to finish the story; that's the trigger to allow you to start the Griffon acquisition collections.

In order to finish the story solo, you need Raptor, Springer, ~~and Jackal~~ (as I recall, to tier 3 for each). To reach the NPC who starts the quest, you need mad mount skillz (as described by @"Khisanth.2948") or a teleport to friend.

Similarly, the actual solo acquisition requires use of several mounts with advanced masteries. But a mesmer friend plus a couple of T2Fs will also work.

_edit: per @"Doghouse.1562" , Jackal isn't needed to finish the PoF story._

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> In order to finish the story solo, you need Raptor, Springer, and Jackal (as I recall, to tier 3 for each).

Sorry to disagree, but if you mean the PS, I think that's wrong.

I've soloed the PS twice. On the second pass, I was paying deliberate attention to what mounts I needed (I'm also playing through the PS on a third character with a group of RL friends; two of them rarely play outside of our weekly sessions, so it makes a big difference if the rest of us steer them to get required skills in a timely manner). I didn't spot anything in the PS that actually needed Skimmer 3. As far as I'm aware, in fact, I didn't even use Skimmer for anything more than basic map navigation once I'd passed the "gate" of reaching the instance in "The Way Forward"; I deliberately stuck to Raptor and Springer in PS after that point. As for even the basic Jackal - no.

(Don't get me wrong. That's not to say that there may not have been points where one or other could have been useful; I seem to remember seeing a Jackal portal or two in "Beast of War", for example. But I met nothing for which either was actually needed. Nor anything that required me to get "creative" to avoid doing so.)

*Edit: Yes - as subsequent posts show, OP said Springer, I read Skimmer. Thhink of it as dyslixea in atcion.*

> @Doghouse.1562 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > In order to finish the story solo, you need Raptor, Springer, and Jackal (as I recall, to tier 3 for each).

> Sorry to disagree, but if you mean the PS, I think that's wrong.

>

> I've soloed the PS twice. On the second pass, I was paying deliberate attention to what mounts I was using (I'm also playing through the PS on a third character with a group of RL friends; two of them rarely play outside of our weekly sessions, so it makes a big difference if the rest of us nudge them to get needed skills in a timely manner). I didn't spot anything that actually needed Skimmer 3. As far as I'm aware, in fact, I didn't even use Skimmer for anything more than basic map navigation after entering the instance in "The Way Forward"; I deliberately stuck to Raptor and Springer in PS after that point. As for even the basic Jackal - no.

>

> (Don't get me wrong. That's not to say that there may not have been points where one or other could have been useful; I seem to remember seeing a Jackal portal or two in "Beast of War", for example. But I met nothing for which either was actually needed. Nor anything that required me to get "creative" to avoid doing so.)

Good thing I didn't mention skimmer, just raptor, springer, & jackal.

I'll remove jackal; I thought we needed it during one of the "convince Joko's commanders" bits, but you're probably right that any mount will do. I'll fix it above.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @Doghouse.1562 said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > In order to finish the story solo, you need Raptor, Springer, and Jackal (as I recall, to tier 3 for each).

> > Sorry to disagree, but if you mean the PS, I think that's wrong.

> >

> > I've soloed the PS twice. On the second pass, I was paying deliberate attention to what mounts I was using (I'm also playing through the PS on a third character with a group of RL friends; two of them rarely play outside of our weekly sessions, so it makes a big difference if the rest of us nudge them to get needed skills in a timely manner). I didn't spot anything that actually needed Skimmer 3. As far as I'm aware, in fact, I didn't even use Skimmer for anything more than basic map navigation after entering the instance in "The Way Forward"; I deliberately stuck to Raptor and Springer in PS after that point. As for even the basic Jackal - no.

> >

> > (Don't get me wrong. That's not to say that there may not have been points where one or other could have been useful; I seem to remember seeing a Jackal portal or two in "Beast of War", for example. But I met nothing for which either was actually needed. Nor anything that required me to get "creative" to avoid doing so.)

>

> Good thing I didn't mention skimmer, just raptor, springer, & jackal.

> I'll remove jackal; I thought we needed it during one of the "convince Joko's commanders" bits, but you're probably right that any mount will do. I'll fix it above.

You do need Skimmer for the last story instance. There's a point where you have to race over quicksand.

> @Taelac.7036 said:

You need a Jackal mount as well. One of the collection items is inside a jackal puzzle.

... I think.

> @"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:

> > @Taelac.7036 said:

> > You will at minimum need to finish the entire story, have a Skimmer mount, and have a Springer mount mastered through High Vault. You'll probably find it easier to fully master the Springer and to take the Skimmer at least as far as Ride the Wind.

>

> You need a Jackal mount as well. One of the collection items is inside a jackal puzzle.

>

> ... I think.

Collection, quite possibly. Story, no.

> @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> You do need Skimmer for the last story instance. There's a point where you have to race over quicksand.

I presume you mean "Beast of War". Not actually the last instance, but I know the bit you mean.

Oddly, possibly not. You're correct about the quicksand, but there's a riderless skimmer waiting to your right just before it, that you can jump onto. And there are similar other riderless mounts scattered through the instance.

Although how or why you'd have got to the final episodes without buying a Skimmer beats me - not least, you have to talk to the Trainer to complete Act 2.

• 1 month later...

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> You need to finish the story. Masteries aren't actually part of the story apart from a few gates.

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. Have only To Kill a God left to do. Have my 4 mounts maxed out. Thanks everyone for the valuable input, it is appreciated!

> @"Warborn.3621" said:

> Do I need to finish the story line completely including Mastery parts or just the main parts are enough? Thank you.

So basically, answering my own question, the POF story has optional steps, like "complete in 15 minuets" etc. You do not need to finish those to unlock the griffon upon completion of the story.

> @"Warborn.3621" said:

> > @"Warborn.3621" said:

> > Do I need to finish the story line completely including Mastery parts or just the main parts are enough? Thank you.

>

> So basically, answering my own question, the POF story has optional steps, like "complete in 15 minuets" etc. You do not need to finish those to unlock the griffon upon completion of the story.

Ah, the choice of word confused me! Since "Mastery" is the name of the system for improving the mounts (and the other mastery tracks in HoT and Core), I thought you meant that, as opposed to *Achievements* :)

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Ah ok. As soon as I read the description for the brandstorm effect I switched to the skimmer so I could ignore it. I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that you need the skimmer to get the griffon so I assumed it was necessary. Although come to think of it I also heard you need the jackal and tier 3 mastery (to use the sand portals) and I was able to get around that just by using the springer.

>

> It might also be possible to just use a Teleport to Friend (and a friend) to reach the sanctuary without needing any of the other mounts. But then I'm not sure if you can complete the collections without them as I've only just reached that point.

If you teleport to friend the mission won't be available. You actually need to scale up to get it with a Springer.