Arden.7480

> @Tamias.7059 said:

> Just seen this on GW2 twitter:

>

>

>

> Snow in Daybreak. Two main possibilities spring to mind:

> 1. Kralkatorrik utilising Jormag's magic

> 2. We're in the snow-capped mountains of Dajkah (which would be consistent with the water and docks that we've seen in the trailer)

Or, as the hashtag says, it's in the new raid :p

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Tamias.7059 said:

> Just seen this on GW2 twitter:

>

>

>

> Snow in Daybreak. Two main possibilities spring to mind:

> 1. Kralkatorrik utilising Jormag's magic

> 2. We're in the snow-capped mountains of Dajkah (which would be consistent with the water and docks that we've seen in the trailer)

Is that a Raid-type portal in the background? We could just be looking at the inside of a new raid.

> @Tamias.7059 said:

> ANet wanting to make the world map a square would be the stupidest reason imaginable for not going to Cantha. If we don't go there, I can't imagine that'll be why.

You don't know programming or game development tools at all, do you?

Most such programs automatically reshape every image data into a square at specific increments. Usually this takes the form of each size restriction being double the prior (16x16, 32x32, 64x64, etc. - size examples here being in pixels). So uploading a 50x20 would result in taking up the data space of a 64x64 image. Most dev kits does this for simplicity. While depending on the game and program, uploading non-square images are to the developer's benefit, that doesn't change the fact they're using up the same amount of data.

So if they were to make a rectangle world map that reaches down to Cantha, they'd still be using the same data as if they were making a square image that reached down to Cantha. And given the size, that is a **_HUGE_** amount of data being taken up for literally nothing. So to make proper use of it all they'd have to make it a square.

But in addition to this, we have the fact that the all three iterations of the world map (original world map, the current in-game world map, and the dat file world map) are all squares. This indicates that the programming itself restricts the visuals of the world map to be square. Which would men massive black space in a horizontal-heavy world map (height-longer rectangle image, that is).

I could go on longer, but suffice it to say it is not because ArenaNet would *want* to make the world map a square, but because *technical limitations* mean that making it a square is either a requirement or the best use of data space. And for a game as huge as GW2, you do not want to be wasting data space.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @Tamias.7059 said:

> > ANet wanting to make the world map a square would be the stupidest reason imaginable for not going to Cantha. If we don't go there, I can't imagine that'll be why.

>

> You don't know programming or game development tools at all, do you?

>

> Most such programs automatically reshape every image data into a square at specific increments. Usually this takes the form of each size restriction being double the prior (16x16, 32x32, 64x64, etc. - size examples here being in pixels). So uploading a 50x20 would result in taking up the data space of a 64x64 image. Most dev kits does this for simplicity. While depending on the game and program, uploading non-square images are to the developer's benefit, that doesn't change the fact they're using up the same amount of data.

>

> So if they were to make a rectangle world map that reaches down to Cantha, they'd still be using the same data as if they were making a square image that reached down to Cantha. And given the size, that is a **_~~HUGE~~_** amount of data being taken up for literally nothing. So to make proper use of it all they'd have to make it a square.

>

> But in addition to this, we have the fact that the all three iterations of the world map (original world map, the current in-game world map, and the dat file world map) are all squares. This indicates that the programming itself restricts the visuals of the world map to be square. Which would men massive black space in a horizontal-heavy world map (height-longer rectangle image, that is).

>

> I could go on longer, but suffice it to say it is not because ArenaNet would *want* to make the world map a square, but because *technical limitations* mean that making it a square is either a requirement or the best use of data space. And for a game as huge as GW2, you do not want to be wasting data space.

I mean, I know a bit about programming because that's my job, but feel free to take an incredibly patronising tone with me? I don't know much about game development, but I'm *sure* there's a way that ANet could have a non-square or larger world map. Even if it means refactoring the way the world map works entirely, I'm sure that's work they'd be willing to do if they took the decision to take the game to Cantha next. They could even have a separate map for Cantha - from what we've seen so far it seems that it's something they'd rather avoid, but the game does support multiple world maps (called "continents" in the API - currently the only two in there are "Tyria" and "The Mists" IIRC). If they really wanted to go to Cantha, they wouldn't let something as silly as that stop them.

> @"Bunny Is Cthulhu.7931" said:

> It's possible he acknowledged that it would be a losing battle and decided it was better to die in battle than to run away. It's also possible that he knew that they're not omniscient and that they could be wrong, that slaying the elder dragons just results in the power transferring to them.

>

> Personally I do find it odd that he decided to go for it but I expect a god of war to be ruthless, objective and invested in tactics. I would expect this god to see that the situation is bad and go find another solution. In reality we know relatively little of his personality and whether this was typical behaviour for him so it's hard to say whether this is out of character for him.

>

> Ultimately the new Kormir line is interesting but doesn't really add anything we don't already know. It's still hazy as to whether Balthazar has been replaced but I'm in the camp that he has been replaced and there are still six gods. It's worth keeping in mind that while Kormir is intending to speak for the rest of the gods, we have hints that Lyssa doesn't entirely agree/is up to something, so it might not be a unanimous decision to leave.

>

> I think episode 1 is going to be about seeing more of Joko's regime and the build up to our fight with him. I think Aurene is taking down Joko's ships in the trailer and we're just seeing it out of context.

>

> Overall, very excited to see where it all goes.

>

>

Well, the view of the other gods seems to be that there could be no victory, since even if they win, they lose: destroying the Elder Dragons will result in destroying Tyria. Balthaddon is presented as not caring about that outcome: if he defeats his enemy he considers that a "victory", regardless of the consequences.

I’m more excited about Kralkatorrik’s new found abilities. We have one Elder Dragon, who now has command of all the Elder Dragon spectrums minus the deep sea dragon. That got me thinking that if Aurene eventually replaces Kralkatorrik will she have command of those spectrums as well? At same time didn’t Aurene absorb magic from Mordremoth, which also had Zhaitan magic and now with her snack from Balthazar, has she now been exposed to sane spectrums as Kralkatorrik?

> @Tyson.5160 said:

> I’m more excited about Kralkatorrik’s new found abilities. We have one Elder Dragon, who now has command of all the Elder Dragon spectrums minus the deep sea dragon. That got me thinking that if Aurene eventually replaces Kralkatorrik will she have command of those spectrums as well? At same time didn’t Aurene absorb magic from Mordremoth, which also had Zhaitan magic and now with her snack from Balthazar, has she now been exposed to sane spectrums as Kralkatorrik?

Aurene also got Mordremoth/Zhaitan's powers- just look at her- she was looking like a freaking mini Mordremoth when she was born. Aurene also got a mix of Balthazar's magic (Bloodstone, Jormag and Primordus' energies).

When Aurene will replace Kralkatorrik, she will get every magic spectrum, but as you noticed not DSD's.

If Aurene will command 5 magic spectrums, then she will balance the whole magic, but not water's.

Jormag, Primordus are off the picture now, and Zhaitan and Mordremoth obviously too, if Aurene will have their powers, they won't awake, and if they'll somehow awake then Aurene will take some of their powers and won't let them stir. If you know what i mean.

So Season 4 will be the most important season in GW history, because if we will kill Kralkatorrik and put Aurene on his place, then only DSD will be on the picture and Aurene will be the grand balance keeper as Glint was once used to be.

And DSD will somehow feel it, that he is the last one and when he will feel that the magic balance is getting odd because Aurene will have so much magic he will finally show up.

He will show up, because he won't have any magic to consume, so he will want to find another place to feed his body.

Scarlet attacked Lion's Arch because it has the greatest resources of magic in Tyria, so he will also attack Lion's Arch.

And again I put this pic: http://i.imgur.com/3tAr7wl.jpg

> @Arden.7480 said:

> When Aurene will replace Kralkatorrik, she will get every magic spectrum, but as you noticed not DSD's.

>

> If Aurene will command 5 magic spectrums, then she will balance the whole magic, but not water's.

>

> Jormag, Primordus are off the picture now, and Zhaitan and Mordremoth obviously too, if Aurene will have their powers, they won't awake, and if they'll somehow awake then Aurene will take some of their powers and won't let them stir. If you know what i mean.

>

> So Season 4 will be the most important season in GW history, because if we will kill Kralkatorrik and put Aurene on his place, then only DSD will be on the picture and Aurene will be the grand balance keeper as Glint was once used to be.

>

> And DSD will somehow feel it, that he is the last one and when he will feel that the magic balance is getting odd because Aurene will have so much magic he will finally show up.

>

> He will show up, because he won't have any magic to consume, so he will want to find another place to feed his body.

>

> Scarlet attacked Lion's Arch because it has the greatest resources of magic in Tyria, so he will also attack Lion's Arch.

>

>

> And again I put this pic: http://i.imgur.com/3tAr7wl.jpg

Aurene won't have all the magic in the world. They've already established that six beings are necessary - Kralkatorrik absorbing all that magic has thrown the world even more out of balance according to Taimi at the end of Path of Fire. Aurene doing the same won't fix things.

Furthermore even if Aurene finally replaced Kralkatorrik, that won't mean that there won't be any magic left in the world.

And lastly, Lion's Arch was attacked because it was a nexus for ley lines, not because it "has the greatest resources of magic in Tyria"; Scarlet was after the best pathways, not the greatest amount of magic. ANd as far as we know, the strongest location of magic in Tyria is The Artesian Waters given that it was the ambient magic there which drew the attention of the Six Gods from across the Mists.

> @Randulf.7614 said:

> I don't think the DSD is going to figure in yet. Kralk, Jormag and Primordus are still too focal and easier to set up before introducing a more complex situation

Not to mention that there's still plenty of non-dragon plots. Once Kralkatorrik is out of the picture, ArenaNet could put the whole Elder Dragon plot on hold and bring in other plots like Braham, Dhuum, Cantha, Joko, finding additional replacements alongside Aurene, etc. THEN bring in Primordus, Jormag, and/or the deep sea dragon.

> > @Arden.7480 said:

> > When Aurene will replace Kralkatorrik, she will get every magic spectrum, but as you noticed not DSD's.

> >

> > If Aurene will command 5 magic spectrums, then she will balance the whole magic, but not water's.

> >

> > Jormag, Primordus are off the picture now, and Zhaitan and Mordremoth obviously too, if Aurene will have their powers, they won't awake, and if they'll somehow awake then Aurene will take some of their powers and won't let them stir. If you know what i mean.

> >

> > So Season 4 will be the most important season in GW history, because if we will kill Kralkatorrik and put Aurene on his place, then only DSD will be on the picture and Aurene will be the grand balance keeper as Glint was once used to be.

> >

> > And DSD will somehow feel it, that he is the last one and when he will feel that the magic balance is getting odd because Aurene will have so much magic he will finally show up.

> >

> > He will show up, because he won't have any magic to consume, so he will want to find another place to feed his body.

> >

> > Scarlet attacked Lion's Arch because it has the greatest resources of magic in Tyria, so he will also attack Lion's Arch.

> >

> >

> > And again I put this pic: http://i.imgur.com/3tAr7wl.jpg

>

> Aurene won't have all the magic in the world. They've already established that six beings are necessary - Kralkatorrik absorbing all that magic has thrown the world even more out of balance according to Taimi at the end of Path of Fire. Aurene doing the same won't fix things.

>

> Furthermore even if Aurene finally replaced Kralkatorrik, that won't mean that there won't be any magic left in the world.

>

> And lastly, Lion's Arch was attacked because it was a nexus for ley lines, not because it "has the greatest resources of magic in Tyria"; Scarlet was after the best pathways, not the greatest amount of magic. ANd as far as we know, the strongest location of magic in Tyria is The Artesian Waters given that it was the ambient magic there which drew the attention of the Six Gods from across the Mists.

>

> > @Randulf.7614 said:

> > I don't think the DSD is going to figure in yet. Kralk, Jormag and Primordus are still too focal and easier to set up before introducing a more complex situation

>

> Not to mention that there's still plenty of non-dragon plots. Once Kralkatorrik is out of the picture, ArenaNet could put the whole Elder Dragon plot on hold and bring in other plots like Braham, Dhuum, Cantha, Joko, finding additional replacements alongside Aurene, etc. THEN bring in Primordus, Jormag, and/or the deep sea dragon.

Not to mention the ability to create new enemies is endless. Nobody knows what's going on in entire other CONTINENTS, or even right next to them. Do kryta s know what's in the bay of janthir? Do the chard in the blood legion homelands know what's out there further east in all that new green? It's just I'm tired of people thinking the game ends without dragons

> I don't think they'll take us to Cantha.

>

> It seems they either want or are restricted to making PvE a single world map for some reason, hence why Elona is now on the same map as Tyria. If so, then expanding to Cantha would make the world map HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE since it has to be a square for texture mechanic reasons, and Cantha is very far away.

>

> Aurene is not a goddess, not sure what quote you're getting that from.

They already enlarge the map adding istan and kouna and a big unknow region/continet to the east whit a great green lake (That_shaman datamine full map)

I don't think a bigger map could be a problem.

> @"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:

> Throwing my hat in:

>

> Safe speculation- Joko is back, and now involved in directly villainous things that'll escalate to us having to confront him directly. Not the most interesting way to go with the plot, but probably the most necessary one, especially if they want to avoid the complaints they got in S3 about 'convoluted' storytelling.

>

> Pure speculation- we aren't going to catch up with Aurene this episode. She'll show up early, do something that causes us to be concerned (like sinking that ship), disappear, then show up later and do something that makes it clearer that she's on our side but possibly in over her head, and then disappear again. ANet likes drawing out their unresolved questions, and the only time we see one answered in the A-plot, especially at the start of the season, is if it proceeds directly into a new one.

>

> Crazy speculation- first map is in Istan? I'd be _very_ surprised, but... the first shot we get of the new area is a [fancy orrery](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Astralarium), and the harbor where Aurene sinks a ship doesn't look like Amnoon...

Well there is a telescope in the trailer.

> @nihavel.6592 said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > I don't think they'll take us to Cantha.

> >

> > It seems they either want or are restricted to making PvE a single world map for some reason, hence why Elona is now on the same map as Tyria. If so, then expanding to Cantha would make the world map HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE since it has to be a square for texture mechanic reasons, and Cantha is very far away.

> >

> > Aurene is not a goddess, not sure what quote you're getting that from.

>

> They already enlarge the map adding istan and kouna and a big unknow region/continet to the east whit a great green lake (That_shaman datamine full map)

> I don't think a bigger map could be a problem.

Except they'd wanted to map it all and that's a lot of ocean

> @nihavel.6592 said:

> They already enlarge the map adding istan and kouna and a big unknow region/continet to the east whit a great green lake (That_shaman datamine full map)

> I don't think a bigger map could be a problem.

Enlarging the map, we now know, won't be a problem. But larger maps naturally need larger data space. Based on the, albeit very little, knowledge we know going to Cantha would result in the world map effectively looking like [this](https://i.imgur.com/tzKia80.jpg) or [this](https://i.imgur.com/nd0W6Wc.jpg). That's a lot of empty ocean to include in the world map. That makes a lot of empty data space. Which means more stress on computers that have GW2 installed for something that is effectively useless.

The second could work if we have an underwater expansion for our favorite mystery dragon though, as that wouldn't be wasted space really. But I doubt ArenaNet would do such a thing anymore.

Best outcome would be if ArenaNet could put Cantha onto its own world map, but given they expanded the world map rather than made Elona its own like in GW1, we don't know if they're will or even able to do such for PvE.

Impossible to say either way - their actions lead to one conclusion, but those actions are too few to truly imply a continuous motive.

> > @Tamias.7059 said:

> > ANet wanting to make the world map a square would be the stupidest reason imaginable for not going to Cantha. If we don't go there, I can't imagine that'll be why.

>

> You don't know programming or game development tools at all, do you?

>

> Most such programs automatically reshape every image data into a square at specific increments. Usually this takes the form of each size restriction being double the prior (16x16, 32x32, 64x64, etc. - size examples here being in pixels). So uploading a 50x20 would result in taking up the data space of a 64x64 image. Most dev kits does this for simplicity. While depending on the game and program, uploading non-square images are to the developer's benefit, that doesn't change the fact they're using up the same amount of data.

>

> So if they were to make a rectangle world map that reaches down to Cantha, they'd still be using the same data as if they were making a square image that reached down to Cantha. And given the size, that is a **_HUGE_** amount of data being taken up for literally nothing. So to make proper use of it all they'd have to make it a square.

>

> But in addition to this, we have the fact that the all three iterations of the world map (original world map, the current in-game world map, and the dat file world map) are all squares. This indicates that the programming itself restricts the visuals of the world map to be square. Which would men massive black space in a horizontal-heavy world map (height-longer rectangle image, that is).

>

> I could go on longer, but suffice it to say it is not because ArenaNet would *want* to make the world map a square, but because *technical limitations* mean that making it a square is either a requirement or the best use of data space. And for a game as huge as GW2, you do not want to be wasting data space.

I highly doubt the map image is a single file, it's probably some form of mipmap given that it doesn't pixelate when zoomed, and probably isn't even a single image, but likely a collection of images. I could be wrong of course.

> @Crinn.7864 said:

> I highly doubt the map image is a single file, it's probably some form of mipmap given that it doesn't pixelate when zoomed, and probably isn't even a single image, but likely a collection of images. I could be wrong of course.

Given how it can load up in the API, I would suspect you're right in that it is multiple squares and not a single file.

My points, however, do remain. So far they've only shown us square world maps, and when they had the chance they chose to expand PvE's world map rather than make a second. Should this be due to necessity and not choice, going to Cantha has a massive obstacle: map size.

It might seem silly, but... sometimes technical limitations *are* silly.

What's interesting to me in the "Daybreak" trailer is the very end in particular.

After the money shot with Aurene facing her enemy in the sky, we get the announcement screen showing the date of the release accompanied by, curiously, a specific music theme from Heart of Thorns(!) and what look like purple slivers of Vlast floating around. We learn from Adisa in Elon Riverlands that the slivers have come from Vlast being wounded by stronger Branded, so do the visuals reference Aurene being wounded during the story?

I also can't guess why this particular HoT reflective theme is used at this point instead of using a PoF track instead; does it hold narrative significance like the PoF trailer music cues did (which referenced Balthazar's theme and PoF main theme to show the protagonist's journey), or was the theme simply chosen for its anticipatory yet calm mood to fit in with the seemingly hopeful title (with double meanings) of the episode? Given Maclaine and the audio team's meticulous use of music, I wouldn't put it past the trailer team to tease us with this stuff like they've done before.

Whatever this all ends up signifying (if any), I look forward to finding out once the release goes live. :)

> > @Crinn.7864 said:

> > I highly doubt the map image is a single file, it's probably some form of mipmap given that it doesn't pixelate when zoomed, and probably isn't even a single image, but likely a collection of images. I could be wrong of course.

>

> Given how it can load up in the API, I would suspect you're right in that it is multiple squares and not a single file.

>

> My points, however, do remain. So far they've only shown us square world maps, and when they had the chance they chose to expand PvE's world map rather than make a second. Should this be due to necessity and not choice, going to Cantha has a massive obstacle: map size.

>

> It might seem silly, but... sometimes technical limitations *are* silly.

I looked at it and cantha is actually closer than I thought. I could potentially see them filling all the water in about 2 expansions, breaking up classic underwater and underwater races with: the battle isle ruins, a new archipelago, and a dragon spawned archipelago to keep a fair amount of land

> @Kossage.9072 said:

> What's interesting to me in the "Daybreak" trailer is the very end in particular.

>

> After the money shot with Aurene facing her enemy in the sky, we get the announcement screen showing the date of the release accompanied by, curiously, a specific music theme from Heart of Thorns(!) and what look like purple slivers of Vlast floating around. We learn from Adisa in Elon Riverlands that the slivers have come from Vlast being wounded by stronger Branded, so do the visuals reference Aurene being wounded during the story?

>

> I also can't guess why this particular HoT reflective theme is used at this point instead of using a PoF track instead; does it hold narrative significance like the PoF trailer music cues did (which referenced Balthazar's theme and PoF main theme to show the protagonist's journey), or was the theme simply chosen for its anticipatory yet calm mood to fit in with the seemingly hopeful title (with double meanings) of the episode? Given Maclaine and the audio team's meticulous use of music, I wouldn't put it past the trailer team to tease us with this stuff like they've done before.

>

> Whatever this all ends up signifying (if any), I look forward to finding out once the release goes live. :)

Yes, it totally sounds like HoT theme, but it also reminds me of Demmi's theme for some reason.

"This moment makes me cry (1:17), really... That's why I love this trailer, it didn't make me hyped, it didn't make me excited, but I was so sad after watching that... It's so different from Season 3 ones, they just had the epic music, the music of this one has the soul... So beautiful."- look above.

I'd have never expected the sound designers would use such a music in the trailer- there must be reason and I think somebody from our friends will die in this episode.

I love that there is somebody that loves music and notices the same thing as I do. We have to team up. :D