What Mount skin would u pay 2k gems for?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're asking the wrong question....

The right question would be: "Is 2000 gems, within the context of GW2 and it's gemstore, a sensible price for a single mount skin?"

And the answer is, no... Not really, not ever.

A single outfit, which takes way more work modelling (has to conform to 5 different races) costs less than half the price of the mount.

The only reason why they charge this ridiculous amount of gems is because of the mount hype, and because they know there's always a margin of players that will pay for it.

Problem is those players aren't the majority, and there's only so many 2000 gem mount skins they'll be able to sell to those people.

So sooner or later, the tap will run dry. While appealing to a wider audience with prices compatible to other cosmetic items would allow them more sales.

And you can quote MO all you like. It's all excuses, and misconstructions.

He says this: "Also, GW2 isn’t setup to support an enjoyable experience of browsing through a large catalog of style items, so players tend not to do that.** What our data shows is that higher-priced flashy individual items can work, and lower-average-price-per-item bundles can work, but lower-priced individual items generally don’t generate meaningful revenue to support the game**. And the whole point of these items is to support the game."

Now, look at gemstore data they had:

They had bundles for 2000 gems, but those high-priced flashy items were what? 800 Gem outfits? 1000 Gem gathering tools?

What single cosmetic item in the gemstore even got close to 2000 gems before mounts? NOTHING!

So yeah, they had 0 data to back up their price. They bet on the hype, and came up short, and now instead of retracting and apologising. They intend to ride the wave of discontent until the frogs (us) become used to the boiling water, and return to buying the overpriced crap.

> @ReaverKane.7598 said:

> You're asking the wrong question....

> The right question would be: "Is 2000 gems, within the context of GW2 and it's gemstore, a sensible price for a single mount skin?"

> And the answer is, no... Not really, not ever.

Well obviously it is because people have already bought one and people in the thread already expressed some willingness to for certain options.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @ReaverKane.7598 said:

> > You're asking the wrong question....

> > The right question would be: "Is 2000 gems, within the context of GW2 and it's gemstore, a sensible price for a single mount skin?"

> > And the answer is, no... Not really, not ever.

>

> Well obviously it is because people have already bought one and people in the thread already expressed some willingness to for certain options.

>

The feedback I've read from those "certain options" boils down to "it has to be exactly what I want and it has to be in a quality befitting a legendary skin". 2000 gems is the range where people (rightfully) get utopic ideas about what the skin has to deliver. Looking at the Peacockosaurus and the Blathasar Puppy I don't think ANet has the same idea about what makes a good skin as the customers.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @ReaverKane.7598 said:

> > You're asking the wrong question....

> > The right question would be: "Is 2000 gems, within the context of GW2 and it's gemstore, a sensible price for a single mount skin?"

> > And the answer is, no... Not really, not ever.

>

> Well obviously it is because people have already bought one and people in the thread already expressed some willingness to for certain options.

>

Saying that because some people buy mounts and want to keep buying mounts, then the price is fair is like saying that because some people think the earth is flat then we should teach that the earth is flat, or that because some people think "evolution is just a theory" we should teach creationism in schools as a valid concurrent theory.

> @ReaverKane.7598 said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @ReaverKane.7598 said:

> > > You're asking the wrong question....

> > > The right question would be: "Is 2000 gems, within the context of GW2 and it's gemstore, a sensible price for a single mount skin?"

> > > And the answer is, no... Not really, not ever.

> >

> > Well obviously it is because people have already bought one and people in the thread already expressed some willingness to for certain options.

> >

> Saying that because some people buy mounts and want to keep buying mounts, then the price is fair is like saying that because some people think the earth is flat then we should teach that the earth is flat, or that because some people think "evolution is just a theory" we should teach creationism in schools as a valid concurrent theory.

I'm criticizing the quote because it's wrong. You can hyperbolize it however you want, but that doesn't change that initial qualifying point.

I would pay 2k for the one i like. I bought the recent raptor one. This game is my relax time and my hobby. So I dont mine spending some money on the game if its something I like. I know people complain about the costs of the skins and they would make more money (I think) if they lowered the costs. But even if they lowered it, some would still complain. No win situation for Anet really. Now, with all that being said. I really dont like the RNG boxes. Alot of MMO's have went that way in an effort to make more money. but it hurts players in the long run and most won't buy RNG boxes including me.