Path of Fire Material Storage

Gaile Gray.6029

> @Charrbeque.8729 said:

>The problem is - as Gaile point out about flax seeds, and other devs have mentioned in the past - is that for some items, there is already plenty of supply in the game. For one reason or another some players are hoarding tons of them in their banks instead of selling them.

But the problem is, there _wasn't_ plenty of supply at the launch of HoT. There was plenty of supply in the long term, but not plenty of supply _at launch._ Think of it like, say, Barbecue charcoal. Let's say that a community is on record as using exactly 1200 bags of charcoal per year to barbecue. Now, what would that amount to, 100 bags per month, right? So let's say that the local store carries exactly 100 bags at any given time. And let's say that they start doing this in June. Well the early summer holidays roll along, and they only have 100 bags in stock. People come in, demanding a total of around 400 bags, and another 300 the next month, and 200 the next. Most people that wanted it could not get it because the supply was way lower than the demand. And then there's almost no demand over the next nine months, while the same 100 bags keeps rolling in each month and piling up.

That's the situation we had with HoT, the mechanisms to deliver resources like Flax were perfectly fine over long periods of time, but they could not remotely keep up with the early demand of people who wanted to max out all the new stuff as quickly as possible.

So, to make the economy stable, the solution has nothing whatsoever to do with limiting hoarding. The solution is to greatly increase supply early on, WAY above the "healthy, stable" level that you eventually want to reach, to adequately satisfy the early, unusually high levels of demand. Then, once that demand tapers off, once people are mostly using the materials for long term projects like potions or whatever, then you can taper off supply to just sustain that long term demand. To go back to that charcoal example, you'd want to stock at least 500 supply that first June, 300 in July, 300 in August, and then 100 or so each subsequent month, so that by the next June you'd have the 1200 you'd need for the summer.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know, despite what you are doing I fully intend to still horde all crafting materials in my bank until I know what they are all for and have no intention of selling anything on the trading post until well after launch of the expansion. This change will simply make the game more difficult and tedious for me to accomplish the same thing and I will resent you for it.

The player that horde their crafting mats are end game crafters. I know that whatever legendary is in PoF I will try to make. I will also, try to craft some of the new cosmetic items. I will not sell much of the new PoF mats. The newer players and casual in GW2 will be the ones that like this change and hopefully it will do as A-net expects.

People are complaining about an experiment that will at most take up a few bag spaces of your inventory for **a few weeks** unless you're hoarding. I for one am excited to see if this changes anything. I usually sell new stuff I get when they get in the gold range of TP selling and don't really care for hoarding unless I actually need the item.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> During the early period of Heart of Thorns, this significantly contributed to the early expense of flax, which was abundantly available but, for the most part, was "warehoused" in the banks of players.

>

> Once we are comfortable with the supply and price—which we believe should become apparent in weeks, not months—we will add them to material storage.

>

Yea, flax took less than a month to arrive to it's current price point.... https://www.gw2spidy.com/item/74090

If you were to just make the item have a purpose and demand there will be supply.

I'm actually pretty happy about this. One thing I learned in HoT is that it is much better to sell mats right away when the demand is high, and then buy them later once the price has stabilized. This'll make it much easier to enact that plan because I won't be accidentally depositing my mats all the time.

Dont like this at all. I wanna spend time playing not managing. Find a better solution, unfortunately I have no suggestions but as a customer I ask that you figure it out. That's pretty unsat. If l, as a trade off you had less new items and fixed the trash sigil/rune problem I would and probably everyone else would be way chiller about it but sorry this is pretty arbitrary and annoying when just want to get lost in the world you guys created

For every new material we add to our material collection, create one for sale on the auction house for whatever price Chip McEcon thinks is fair.

That way, I can keep what I found (and earned), and there are some available for the flippers.

Or, add a material storage tax on new items. Take 10%. For every 10 I deposit, take one and put it up for sale using Chip's price.

I don't like to sell things until I've got a full hoard for myself, in the event you create something like, oh, I don't know, Aurora, I'd like to have plenty on me and be as 'little' impacted by economic games as possible. I sell things only after my hoard is full (I have a 1,000 stack capacity). If you want to 'tax' me for a few months, by automatically taking a little from me while I go about my usual game depositing until full, then do that. Why burden us with inventory issues?

I mean, we're already being subjected to a tax on getting rare and exotic items in the new world. At least, that's what I assume is happening, based on what others have reported in limited testing and a complete lack of official explanation for that mechanic.

The average player is simply going to deposit and forget, which is the point of doing this. It's not until their storage overflows that they bother dealing with it. They need a permanent solution. People are going to do what's laziest, so not only does it need to be quick and easy to use, but also get people to want to sell.

> @Darlgon.9273 said:

> Yeah..

>

> Um.. you are just moving the stack from the materials bag to the shared storage. Almost feels like you are trying to sell more shared storage space, but you would never do that, right?

>

> How long is the crafting embargo supposed to last? A year? Six months? A month?

with all due respect, I'd reread the first post to answer your last questions. regarding the first one, how did you come to that conclusion?

I think this decision is a load of skritt. For years you've sold collection expanders and many, myself included, have purchased them and now you say we can't use them. I won't be surprised when collection expanders hit the gem store around launch.

All along I've said that the games economy is not player driven but driven by Anet and this just proves that fact. Instead of letting your players decide if they are going to sell or not, you're influencing this by almost forcing us to sell. This "experiment" will not get me to sell, I have enough characters and bank space to start hoarding stuff but you are intentionally removing a fairly huge quality of life feature from the game and intentionally making it so that items we have paid you money for (collection expanders) are not able to be used.

Gaile, you forgot one huge piece of information and that is how long will these items not be able to be deposited? Is it a week, two weeks, a month, 6 months..... What is the answer? Oh, wait it's probably...... Soon (as in somewhere in the next 5 years).

While I appreciated the notification in advance of this "experiment" I completely disagree with it.

It's a minor personal inconvenience to many (if not most) of us and a potentially major benefit to the community and economy. Once a material reaches an equilibrium on the TP, it's very hard for people to adjust their preconceptions of its price. Thus flax is believed to be expensive despite it being cheap for a lot of its history -- we get used to the high (or low) price.

The best part of this experiment is that ANet has told us their plans, which means we can adjust accordingly for the first month or three. If it works, great, the new version of flax will be a lot cheaper than it could have been *and* we'll end up being able to store it in "materials" anyhow. If it doesn't, we still will be able to store it (just not on day 1).

tl;dr great idea, especially making sure we know ahead of time. Please don't forget to let us know the results. :)