[Suggestion] Remove / Disable Thumbs Down (possibly Thumbs Up)

I think the inclusion of thumbs up / down is just asking for harassment and an easy way to troll individuals. I'm not trying to give a nice cool comfortable place for snowflakes, just that forums are meant to be used for discussion, not a Roman arena to give everyone an option for a popularity vote. Disagreements should be expressed in responses / posts, not with a thumbs icon.

I suggest an alternative 'vote' system be used aside from agree / disagree or thumbs up / thumbs down. Maybe something like, insightful or informative instead of either thumbs up / down.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to agree with the others above. The thumbs down is only going to discourage people from posting. The +1 system worked well because it was only positive reinforcement. I think you are asking for a lot of people feeling bad with this system. Leave the helpful and thumbs up, but lose the thumbs down.

> @jheryn.8390 said:

> I'll have to agree with the others above. The thumbs down is only going to discourage people from posting. The +1 system worked well because it was only positive reinforcement. I think you are asking for a lot of people feeling bad with this system. Leave the helpful and thumbs up, but lose the thumbs down.

Yeah, the +1 was neutral enough. Even more so, I'm not just trying to spare people hurt feelings. I don't think forums should be used to harass people, but at the same time, I do think people should be able to take criticism. However, that criticism should be in the form of a post - using words, expressing thoughts disagreement or otherwise, not a silly icon.

The other forum I frequent that uses this layout (Marvel Heroes) uses "Insightful, Interesting, and Awesome" as their 3 vote / feedback buttons. I suppose they could adopt something like that here as well if they want to go purely for positive stuff.

Personally, I couldn't care less. I'm not fixated on some silly little vote buttons from random people on the internet, and positive or negative they aren't something I care about. But clearly some people are and going all positive would be a way to alleviate that I suppose.

> @TheVindelator.8239 said:

> At first glance, thumbs down might seem negative and discouraging but the effect of it over time may actually be good.

>

> When salty/complainy/low quality posts get a thumbs down the community becomes less toxic. (At least this seems to be what happens on Reddit)

What might be salty / complainy / low quality posts to you, might be very interesting / informative / and insightful to me. I get where you're coming at, but if there are poor posts being made, they should be challenged through equally thoughtful responses, not a button; otherwise, this should be something like Tender, not a forum.

> @TheVindelator.8239 said:

> At first glance, thumbs down might seem negative and discouraging but the effect of it over time may actually be good.

>

> When salty/complainy/low quality posts get a thumbs down the community becomes less toxic. (At least this seems to be what happens on Reddit)

The ability to suppress dissent and opposing opinions is the worst feature of Reddit. At least the system here does not result in posts being moved out of sight, and thus out of mind -- or does it?

> @TheUndefined.1720 said:

> > @jheryn.8390 said:

> > I'll have to agree with the others above. The thumbs down is only going to discourage people from posting. The +1 system worked well because it was only positive reinforcement. I think you are asking for a lot of people feeling bad with this system. Leave the helpful and thumbs up, but lose the thumbs down.

>

> Yeah, the +1 was neutral enough. Even more so, I'm not just trying to spare people hurt feelings. I don't think forums should be used to harass people, but at the same time, I do think people should be able to take criticism. However, that criticism should be in the form of a post - using words, expressing thoughts disagreement or otherwise, not a silly icon.

I agree with TheUndefined. A down vote is way too easy. Contesting a point or opinion is hard, at least by comparison. Don't allow people to take the easy way. Please

Yeah I really don't see a point to having thumbs up/down as an option. They even call the threads "Discussions"...that's funny, I don't recall people being able to vote on every comment I make in a verbal discussion, so it shouldn't be an option with a text discussion either. If someone disagrees with you, they can post a comment as to why.

Archived