You need to make the main story chain soloable.

Tomoko.4071

Heya, OP! Sorry to hear you're running into bother. A lot of people here on the forums and in-game have been playing for a very long time, and may have forgotten what it's like to start an established game, and how overwhelming it can actually be - and you're right, it's often easier if you know someone playing already. That said, a lot of people here are exceptionally helpful regardless of how long they've been playing (and there's been some great advice in this thread already). There's a whole lot of information and help available, so please don't be put off by the experience you've had so far.

To help you further, would you be willing to clarify a few things (and apologies if I'm repeating anything said earlier in the thread, or if you've got the answers you need already)?:

What race are you playing?

What profession are you playing (necromancer, guardian, warrior, etc)?

What level are you and where are you in the story?

What gear do you have on you (weapons, armour - copy the names from in-game if you need to)?

What skills are you using?

Anything else you can tell us, perhaps advising specific instances in the story or a map causing hassle, e.g. which parts made you think other players were required?

Finally, are you EU or NA for server?

If you don't want to post again, that's okay. I think you're probably up to _Victory or Death_ chronologically in the story, but would like confirmation. I can say that instance looks like you need other people because it did actually used to be like that. It's not the case anymore, as it was changed to be a 1-5 player instance, which means it can be done alone. However, Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire expansion content is more difficult than the base game content, including the story, even if other players are saying it's not (and forgetting they've been playing it longer). What I'd suggest is reading up on the Wiki (link at the very top page menu) about the story order, looking in your profession forum for anything useful, looking up YouTube videos or whatever else may help. Give the game another chance, especially since you have so much of it to play through!

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it. :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Chickenooble.5014" said:

> > @"Kaizok.7839" said:

> > Maybe he talk about Arah, that's a dungeon and not a solo instance.

>

> I solo'd Arah because I disconnected from my group. I figured, "Why not?" I went in with my Mesmer (full exotics) and played really friggin smart. It's completely possible and I consider myself an average player.

Yeah, well, I was away for a few years so I was not aware that Arah has been made solo-able during that time.

So I've tried it right after the OP's post... done it without dying (renegade sb).

A little too easy B)

Arah used to be literally impossible to solo because there was a step where you needed to have 2 (or maybe 3) people stand on buttons to open a door. But a few years ago they re-worked it into a single-player instance and now you only need to stand on 1 of them. It can still be pretty difficult, especially when you have to fight the dragons with the cannons whilst also fighting off regular risen, and when you get to the Mouth of Zhaitan.

But there's a few other story steps which I know people often have trouble with, like the earlier Mouth of Zhaitan fight (especially if you get Estate of Decay), the one where you're trying to steal a lighthouse and have to fight far too many spiders, and often Claw Island too (especially the bit where you go down on the beach to rescue the soldiers). It's all possible to do solo, but it's more complicated than the majority of the game so I know it can throw people off.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

>the one where you're trying to steal a lighthouse and have to fight far too many spiders,

Ran into that recently, and yes, that bit is insane. And when you die (and I died lots of times) you have to travel an insanely long way to get to the encounter again - which very probably reset in the meantime because all the NPCs fighting alongside you died....

Never again, will I chose the that option (Order of Whispers) :D

> @"Kaizok.7839" said:

> > @"Yargesh.4965" said:

> > It is very solo friendly. For a few years the final section required a dungeon run but that is long gone.

> > Take your time and experiment with the proffs you enjoy. You will find the vanilla content quiet easy compared to HoT and similar to the new PoF expansion., though open world path of fire is easier than vanilla instance story is much harder.

>

> Really ? That part of the story is no more a dungeon ? :o

> I was not aware of that.

Arah dungeon story mode was changed a long time ago. You use to need a group to do it, due to needing others to stand on switches to open a couple doors, as well as the difficulty being tuned for a full party. They changed it so you can do it solo (stepping on any switch by yourself will open the doors) or with a group in the June 23, 2015 update. Basically, they removed the story mode part of the dungeon, making it only a personal story instance that can't be repeated.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2015-06-23#Personal_Story

Chapter 8—Victory or Death

Converted the Ruined City of Arah (story) dungeon to a Personal Story step that may be completed by 1–5 players. Improved or added sound effects and audio zones to multiple encounters. Revised the Ruined City of Arah Dungeon Track to be unlocked by story mode or explorable mode completion. The Master of Arah achievement has been revised to only require explorable mode completion. Modified completion reward.

For my first character, I completed the personal story (some time before LW2 got started) with a group, before they changed it to be soloable. For a few of my other characters, I've completed it after the update solo without too much trouble. Some of the bosses can be a bit tough, but it's more than doable, and it gets easier every time since you learn how things work and know what to expect. My first solo experience with Victory or Death, I got killed a few times by one of the bosses at the beginning. With my last character I plowed through the bosses quickly and with the greatest of ease. (It's also because I've become better at the game and building my characters.)

To the OP, check the professions section of the forums, or create a thread and ask for advice on how to build your character, what your limitations are, and ask about how stuff works in the game. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/categories/professions

You'll find the community is a lot more friendly then they appear. It really doesn't matter what MMO you play. You'll always get sarcastic comments in the game when asking for help with something. It's just a part of life.

I tend to agree that the story instances are already balanced for solo play, even for new players.

There are a few that are more difficult than others and some that can be downright scary if you've been ignoring your gear - especially underwater. I recall playing through the story recently and I neglected my UW weapons which were still Lv10ish when a Lv60 instance forced me underwater. I found my pitiful damage to be rather amusing (likely in part because I knew the mistake was my own) but rather than leave the instance I opted to slot as much burning/bleed as I could and slog through it.

As for the community, apart from a few bad apples in map chat I have experienced wonderful things from the GW2 community. Often players are more than willing to help even if what you're asking for is rather difficult or tedious (like some JPs). It all comes down to the attitude with which you ask. Being frustrated and venting into map chat is often met with negativity. Being polite finds advice and help. And... either approach will sometimes find only silence!

A new player probably shouldn't be playing expansion content right away because its expected you have basic knowledge of the game by the time you start that so you will struggle if you have no idea what you are doing. Focus on core story and maps to level and learn how to play and you should find it becomes alot easier.

Expansion stories arent designed for groups. Only open world maps have group content in them. You can find groups by pressing Y and then navigating on the left panel to the LFG tab. This gives a list of all active parties that are looking for players to complete content. You can find your map and then join an existing group, or make your own. People wont like you spamming map chat with group requests because its expected you use the LFG tool. Remember to only join groups you meet the requirements for. (e.g dont join a dungeon or fractal group that asks for experienced if you dont know what to do).

When you are soloing your story, make sure your gear stats compliment your build. Soldiers gear is a good defensive set thats easy to get. You shouldnt switch to full dps unless you are confident that you can play well. Look on this site for a basic guide on what weapons to use and what traits to pick and then customize from there. Unfortunately in this game some weapons are just really bad in pve and make things way harder than they need to be. https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

The most important thing to remember in story is to watch how the enemy moves and then dodge away from their big attack. Every enemy will have a tell that lets you know they are about to unleash their hard hitting move which you need to get out of the way of. Sometimes this is in the form of a red or orange circle on the floor and sometimes in the animation of the enemy (channeling, lifting their weapons ect). If you stick to doing this and then damaging when their big attack is on cooldown, you should be able to get through it.

Also this game has one of the nicest communities tbh.

> @"Tomoko.4071" said:

> I hate to be that guy but as a new player, I am unable to even finish the vanilla story chain, let a lone the new expansions. I bought all the new content, excited and ready to dive into it, found out all the content is designed for groups, but as a new player I can't find any groups or parties. I've been through four guilds and had to leave every single one because of toxic members and trolling. I really want to play this game but I'm sick of sitting around major cities, posting in map chat and getting ZERO response outside of people trolling me or heckling me for asking in map chat. This community is garbage, making this game not new player friendly. If anyone is lurking the forums to think about buying this game don't buy it unless you already know people playing. New players are not welcome here.

Hi! I'd be happy to help with any story steps you're having trouble with, assuming you play on North-American servers. Feel free to add me to your list and whisper me in game.

Keep in mind that you're new and therefore have a lot of room to improve. The personal storyline is solo content, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be easy for every player to complete. That obviously depends upon many factors, not least of which personal ability and experience. But this game has a fairly intricate combat system and you may be surprised to find that what at first seems impossible, may yet be within reach!

The main story chain (and sequals) is easily soloable - and, if you're having trouble, people are generally willing to give you a hand (for achievements and the like). For bits that you find utterly impossible, try looking at your own gameplay - it's likely you're doing something wrong, or not seeing a clue. It happens all of the time, and more often than not, it can be fixed with a quick weapon/trait swap, a pm to a knowledgable friend or a quick visit to youtube.

In other words, don't pidgeonhole yourself with your build or strategy! Experiment with what works!

> @"Tomoko.4071" said:

> I hate to be that guy but as a new player, I am unable to even finish the vanilla story chain, let a lone the new expansions. I bought all the new content, excited and ready to dive into it, found out all the content is designed for groups, but as a new player I can't find any groups or parties. I've been through four guilds and had to leave every single one because of toxic members and trolling. I really want to play this game but I'm sick of sitting around major cities, posting in map chat and getting ZERO response outside of people trolling me or heckling me for asking in map chat. This community is garbage, making this game not new player friendly. If anyone is lurking the forums to think about buying this game don't buy it unless you already know people playing. New players are not welcome here.

You are naming every problem that I thought to not exist in Tyria. Actually, I stayed in GW2 because a lot of these problems did not exist. However, I will respond seriously.

1) The story chain is entirely soloable. I play as a thief, the most squishy-est, incapable-of-CC, prefers-to-avoid-combat class, and I had no trouble doing any casual PvE solo. Now, that being said, I of course cannot do hardcore PvE things solo, such as dungeons, fractals, raids, WvW, or even PvP because I'm just that bad at combat. But, the story? Easily soloable. And yes, I am entirely caught up from the first chapter to the most recent.

2) What do you mean by groups? If you look for groups/parties for specific things, such as achievements or dungeons or farming, you'll find plenty of those. Even if you're looking for a party to do one specific thing, I've seen parties that are advertised as "helping with anything!" Especially this time of year. These groups are advertised in the LFG (Looking for Group) tab, default shortcut Y or accessible via one of the buttons on your top left corner. Even if you cannot find a ready party, you can make your own. And if that doesn't work, usually asking in guild or map chat will. Of course, it only works if you ask nicely.

3) Everyone goes through a lot of guilds, but it almost seems like you're purposely joining the bad guilds. I personally avoid guilds that don't advertise a goal or specifics, guilds that aim to collect bar people, or guilds that encourage profanity. I also avoid guilds that are PvP, WvW, or hardcore gaming-oriented. Sticking to those rules, I have yet to find myself in any sort of toxic/trolling guild. I've left guilds solely because their members or guild goals/ways of organization did not fit my taste.

4) I usually get answers to everything that I ask in map chat. Occasionally, I'll have to wait half an hour or switch maps before I get an answer. During those times, other players are usually engaged in a large-scale event such as a meta, or are just not in the same map instance as I am. Or possibly not even on the map at all. Like how everyone's currently in the new map. But I managed to put together a Champion Bounty party for the Vabbi map yesterday. It just took a little longer than usual. Patience is key. Not everyone looks at map chat or responds to it every minute.

5) I'm usually only heckled or trolled when I ask a really stupid question, particularly if it's a question that has an easy answer, or when I say something offensive. However, even during those times, there will be that one person in map chat or whisper who actually answers my question. And even then, I don't find the trolls to be offensive. Don't take everything personally; people get tired and will take out their tiredness on others in map chat. Also don't ask or say things in an offensive or childish tone; that's only asking for trouble.

6) New players are sought after. People will advertise guilds that are looking to recruit new members. People will advertise their guilds or their group or themselves to be helping new people, and to join their party if you want help. People will stop doing what they're doing if someone asks something newbie-ish in /say chat, and help that newbie. People will whisper those newbies that ask embarrassing things in /map chat, and help those poor embarrassed newbies. I truly do not know why you are only finding yourself in unfavorable situations, and firmly believe that it's because you already ask in a tone that suggests you demand help (rather than request it) and possibly insert offensive or inappropriate language into your demands.

GW2 personal story has become solo friendly some time ago. I believe the rewards for the vanilla story chapters were improved as well.

I barely experienced any toxic behaviour in this game in all these years and I remained guildless, so I'm sort of an 'outsider'. Fortunately the game is designed in a way that you will always get in situations that demand more players to succeed, grouped/outsider or not is welcomed/appreciated to join. In a way, every player is part of the map population you're playing.

My advice would be (if you're lvl 80) to hang around in lvl 80 zones that you explored and keep an eye on the /map chat. There are plenty of chain events going on, people will link waypoints in chat, they need help as well. Join them, you don't even have to group. Learn from the fights and (slowly) get better gear.

If you're not lvl 80 hang around in zones that are near your level, watch that /map chat and make sure you have all the waypoints for quick travelling. I find it hard to believe that this community is toxic, at least in open world, simply because ArenaNet eliminated many annoyances that are still in other MMO's (grouping with a ninja/bully in group, etc.).

Don't focus 100% on personal story progress in the first place. Dive into the open world maps, there are chain events, often resulting to a world boss event you don't want to miss with a big fat treasure chest at the end. And the good part is that you don't need to group, it's recommended (you might learn new tactics in chat) but you're not forced to do so. And afterwards you get same sort of rewards that the grouped players get.

Explore, look around, join events announced in chat. I do hope this will change your feelings about the community into something positive!

Oh and the final chapter of Personal story can be chaotic at first. Dragons popping up left and right, while mobs spawn on the ship, AoE attacks everywhere. But I assure you once you get used to it, it's easy. You'll learn to ignore/focus the stuff that is (less) important.

Good luck!

- Grampybone

> @"Embered.5089" said:

> 1) The story chain is entirely soloable. I play as a thief, the most squishy-est, incapable-of-CC, prefers-to-avoid-combat class, and I had no trouble doing any casual PvE solo. Now, that being said, I of course cannot do hardcore PvE things solo, such as dungeons, fractals, raids, WvW, or even PvP because I'm just that bad at combat. But, the story? Easily soloable. And yes, I am entirely caught up from the first chapter to the most recent.

I'm confused... how is Thief squishy and prefer-to-avoid combat?

Unless I'm overrun by like 8+ enemies, I never had an issue surviving as a thief at all.

While the HP is low, the health regenerations is stupendous and many ways to dodge.

> @"Kaizok.7839" said:

> > @"Yargesh.4965" said:

> > It is very solo friendly. For a few years the final section required a dungeon run but that is long gone.

> > Take your time and experiment with the proffs you enjoy. You will find the vanilla content quiet easy compared to HoT and similar to the new PoF expansion., though open world path of fire is easier than vanilla instance story is much harder.

>

> Really ? That part of the story is no more a dungeon ? :o

> I was not aware of that.

Changed some time back now.. the whole story is indeed soloable as are most of the achievs within them.. tho I will admit some of them I find a little beyond my skill level.. maybe this is also the OP's issue, but that doesn't non-soloable I guess it means "get good or get out" :)

> @"Tomoko.4071" said:

Are you sure that you and I are playing the same game? I really don't recognise your description. Especially regarding attitude to new players - GW2 has its share of idiots like any game, but the community is largely the most welcoming, helpful and tolerant that I've experienced.

Firstly - **if you're in need of a group, DON'T sit in a city posting in map chat**. That may be what you did in *Another Game * - it's what I remember from GW, even - but **that's not how GW2 works**. GW2 has a decent LFG tool (default key binding "Y") that everyone uses. Very few people sitting around in a city are likely to be there waiting for someone to invite them to do something out in the open world - let alone help someone out with their Personal Story - so you shouldn't be entirely surprised that the vast majority of responses you've been getting are heckles from the more moronic portion of the community.

Secondly - I don't know why you're struggling, but **the vanilla Personal Story is most definitely NOT designed for groups** anyway. On the contrary. Solo PvE is almost the only mode I ever play in, and I've fully competed the PS 8 times, on 7 different professions. The only parts that have ever remotely required grouping up have been (a) historically, the final episode ("Victory or Death") - which USED to be tuned for 5 players, but was retuned and reworked for a solo player when Heart of Thorns launched, and (b) the (purely optional) story dungeons (if you want to do **them**, use the LFG tool, and make sure you go for "story mode" - see above). And above that I have a further 12 characters (including the final 2 professions) who have done everything except that final episode - because they got that far before it was retuned and I've been too busy doing other things to go back and finish it. Beyond that - some paths through the final sections of the story get maybe a **little** more challenging for some professions and builds, but certainly there's nothing there that a character with merely moderate gear and a so-so spec shouldn't be able to handle. *(I'm an alt-oholic; I have 45 characters to date, including 41 level 80s; I keep detailed records. It's the only way to stay on top of all of them.)*

If you want to breeze through your PS, and levelling in general, I'd suggest a couple of things.

1. **Have a build in mind**, and don't spend HPs frivolously. Ideally, each time you unlock the chance to have a new Specialisation (levels 21, 45 and 71) , you want to be in a position to pick one that will help you and train all of it. You almost certainly won't be able to do that for the first unlock - but you can go quite a long way towards it. For my part, if that means my running around at lower levels with mere racial skills in my utility slots - that's what I do. (If you want ideas for a build, go look at, say, the "Fractal" section of your profession on Metabattle.com, and pick a damage build; it won't be perfect for your needs - and it will probably use skills that are more party-oriented than you need - but it will be way better than nothing. The key is to have something vaguely reasonable to aim at, and to steer you. And you needn't be concerned that you're locking yourself in to a build you won't want, because as you level you'll increasingly have the points to let you respec to any build that takes your fancy).

2. **Keep your gear up to date** . It's no good running around at level 40 in kit that you picked up at level 5 and expecting to find things easy. What stats you have on your gear is probably not vitally important, but something broadly aiming towards whatever the spec needs won't take you far wrong. But don't spend over the top; Anything more than Masterwork gear (green) is more than you'll need for most purposes. Similarly, runes and sigils; buy them if you want, but for most PvE levelling and Story purposes they won't make enough difference to be worth bothering about.

3. Even though you've already been playing, **find a Beginner's Guide** or two and read/watch them. If you're struggling in lower-level PS episodes, you're missing something basic; don't be too proud to try to find out what it might be. (I had to explain to a friend running a new Ranger, for example, that there's no "white" damage in GW2, and bounce him out of a mindset that saw "short bow" and "long bow" as basically the same thing - because "weapon types" *( all of them, including things that don't necessarily feel like "weapons" - such as torches and war horns)* are basically just labels for packets of spells. So rather than what seemed obvious to him - a sword for damage and whatever bow he could get his hands on for ranged damage - what he needed was to look at the spells each weapon type gave him, and choose whatever best suited his needs and play style.)

I can't speak for guilds; I've been in a couple of decent ones, but it doesn't suit my solo play style, and right now I don't belong to one worth the name (I have a couple of my own for storage purposes, but that's different). All I can say is that I'd do the legwork to research them before joining, and make sure that they were receptive to new, inexperienced players.

i feel you OP, stories drove me away from this game

get a group? it took me 2 days to get one for balthazar

join a guild? never again, they always start nice, but either they end up fighting , or they simply evaporate

dodging AOEs for 2 mins to get a couple of blows at a boss is simply not fun, and it makes my toon feel weak as kitten

> @"Tomoko.4071" said:

Which story step you having trouble with?? I believe you having a hard time cause you might be playing with a bad build, since as far I can tell, most of the Personal Story got nerfed, even Arah "Victory or Death" is no longer a dungeon.

> @"battledrone.8315" said:

> i feel you OP, stories drove me away from this game

> get a group? it took me 2 days to get one for balthazar

> join a guild? never again, they always start nice, but either they end up fighting , or they simply evaporate

> dodging AOEs for 2 mins to get a couple of blows at a boss is simply not fun, and it makes my toon feel weak as kitten

Yeah PoF in general are way harder then core GW and HoT...to me, if you remove the aoe circles that give way where the boss will hit, Balthazar is legit harder as Dark Souls boss...but, the whole content is totally soloable, just need the right build, the bosses are overloaded with CC's and AoE's, without a good build you will get overwhelmed with the stuff they throw at you

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > @"Embered.5089" said:

> > 1) The story chain is entirely soloable. I play as a thief, the most squishy-est, incapable-of-CC, prefers-to-avoid-combat class, and I had no trouble doing any casual PvE solo. Now, that being said, I of course cannot do hardcore PvE things solo, such as dungeons, fractals, raids, WvW, or even PvP because I'm just that bad at combat. But, the story? Easily soloable. And yes, I am entirely caught up from the first chapter to the most recent.

>

> I'm confused... how is Thief squishy and prefer-to-avoid combat?

> Unless I'm overrun by like 8+ enemies, I never had an issue surviving as a thief at all.

>

> While the HP is low, the health regenerations is stupendous and many ways to dodge.

Thief is often called the "squishy class". Even though you can dodge a lot, once you get hit, you take a lot of damage, and oftentimes you'll only need to take 1 or 2 hits to down. That's "squishy".

My build and playstyle are specifically to avoid combat. I prefer stealthing around things and 1-on-1 assassinations to large groups. I'm also Order of Whispers :3 But this is also the stereotypical thief.

Every single instance is designed to be solo'd, you might need to look at your setup, playstyle and build. Have you bound your dodge key? Have you bound all important skills to easy to use keys? Are you using level appropriate weapons? Have you looked at all weapons, traits and utility skills to help you?