Core game and new player issues

Altosk.8492

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> I've bought multiple GW2's (boxed, core) off Amazon for cheap. The last two I bought, I first received apparently used copies as no CD keys were included for what were supposed to be new copies. I just returned them and ordered another pair, which were fine. They are as little as $10 now.

Well Amazon is an authorized dealer.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

It's not worth it to ANet to sell a copy of the game directly for US$10-15. If their partners want to sell discount keys to boost sales, great. Worse, if ANet has a cheap version, it's just cutting into their own potential sales and it undermines sales for retailers. It's fine for a studio to occasionally discount a game; they are never going to permanently have a "cheap upgrade" available, not when the core game is already free.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

>

> As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> >

> > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

>

> Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > >

> > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> >

> > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

>

> So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > >

> > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > >

> > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> >

> > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

>

> Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

> > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > >

> > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > >

> > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > >

> > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> >

> > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

>

> True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

Which **does not help you one bit** if your account was banned due to use of a fraudulent key.

Sure CDKeys might reimburse you for your purchase and return your money, they will do nothing (because they can do nothing) about any damage caused to your account.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > > >

> > > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > > >

> > > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > > >

> > > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> > >

> > > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

> >

> > True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> > I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> > Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

>

> Which **does not help you one bit** if your account was banned due to use of a fraudulent key.

>

> Sure CDKeys might reimburse you for your purchase and return your money, they will do nothing (because they can do nothing) about any damage caused to your account.

Can you quote someone who has encounterd this? I do expect CDkeys to have a decent amount of keys in store. Within 3 days after purchase Arenanet will know a payment bounced and will make the key invalid. So it is unlikely you can succesfuĺly bind such a key to your account.

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > > > >

> > > > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> > > >

> > > > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

> > >

> > > True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> > > I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> > > Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

> >

> > Which **does not help you one bit** if your account was banned due to use of a fraudulent key.

> >

> > Sure CDKeys might reimburse you for your purchase and return your money, they will do nothing (because they can do nothing) about any damage caused to your account.

>

> Can you quote someone who has encounterd this? I do expect CDkeys to have a decent amount of keys in store. Within 3 days after purchase Arenanet will know a payment bounced and will make the key invalid. So it is unlikely you can succesfuĺly bind such a key to your account.

This information is readily available from googling. Also, you seem to not understand the issue. Credit card info doesn't "bounce", it gets stolen and a stolen copy is just as good as the real thing until the owner discovers the fraud (if they never discover it, then nothing happens). Anet would not know the payment was fraudulent until the owner reported it as such, and the owner wouldn't know until they discover a suspicious charge on their monthly statement, so up to 30 days of lag time is feasible.

> > > > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > > > >

> > > > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> > > >

> > > > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

> > >

> > > True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> > > I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> > > Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

> >

> > Which **does not help you one bit** if your account was banned due to use of a fraudulent key.

> >

> > Sure CDKeys might reimburse you for your purchase and return your money, they will do nothing (because they can do nothing) about any damage caused to your account.

>

> Can you quote someone who has encounterd this? I do expect CDkeys to have a decent amount of keys in store. Within 3 days after purchase Arenanet will know a payment bounced and will make the key invalid. So it is unlikely you can succesfuĺly bind such a key to your account.

Arenanet doesn't make the key invalid. They block the account (every company does, even steam), especially if the key was acquired via stolen credit card information. Which arenanet would know about because the same credit card would have been used to buy multiple accounts which all would have been marked the moment the bank/credit card company reacts.

> @"Leablo.2651" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> > > > >

> > > > > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

> > > >

> > > > True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> > > > I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> > > > Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

> > >

> > > Which **does not help you one bit** if your account was banned due to use of a fraudulent key.

> > >

> > > Sure CDKeys might reimburse you for your purchase and return your money, they will do nothing (because they can do nothing) about any damage caused to your account.

> >

> > Can you quote someone who has encounterd this? I do expect CDkeys to have a decent amount of keys in store. Within 3 days after purchase Arenanet will know a payment bounced and will make the key invalid. So it is unlikely you can succesfuĺly bind such a key to your account.

>

> This information is readily available from googling. Also, you seem to not understand the issue. Credit card info doesn't "bounce", it gets stolen and a stolen copy is just as good as the real thing until the owner discovers the fraud (if they never discover it, then nothing happens). Anet would not know the payment was fraudulent until the owner reported it as such, and the owner wouldn't know until they discover a suspicious charge on their monthly statement, so up to 30 days of lag time is feasible.

I did google and couldn't find any direct source. I see a lot of posts like yours that this can go wrong or that can go wrong, but nowhere a direct report that an account got banned for using a fraudelent key obtained from this supplier. I also found very limited direct reports about issues with key's from this supplier (and all that the key didn't work in the first place). I never have seen any report that someone lost their money.

I do advice to buy directly from Arenanet or with an official trusted reseller. But I also want to guard to have unfounded ghoststories out.

> > @"Leablo.2651" said:

> > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

> > > > >

> > > > > True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> > > > > I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> > > > > Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

> > > >

> > > > Which **does not help you one bit** if your account was banned due to use of a fraudulent key.

> > > >

> > > > Sure CDKeys might reimburse you for your purchase and return your money, they will do nothing (because they can do nothing) about any damage caused to your account.

> > >

> > > Can you quote someone who has encounterd this? I do expect CDkeys to have a decent amount of keys in store. Within 3 days after purchase Arenanet will know a payment bounced and will make the key invalid. So it is unlikely you can succesfuĺly bind such a key to your account.

> >

> > This information is readily available from googling. Also, you seem to not understand the issue. Credit card info doesn't "bounce", it gets stolen and a stolen copy is just as good as the real thing until the owner discovers the fraud (if they never discover it, then nothing happens). Anet would not know the payment was fraudulent until the owner reported it as such, and the owner wouldn't know until they discover a suspicious charge on their monthly statement, so up to 30 days of lag time is feasible.

>

> I did google and couldn't find any direct source. I see a lot of posts like yours that this can go wrong or that can go wrong, but nowhere a direct report that an account got banned for using a fraudelent key obtained from this supplier. I also found very limited direct reports about issues with key's from this supplier (and all that the key didn't work in the first place). I never have seen any report that someone lost their money.

>

> I do advice to buy directly from Arenanet or with an official trusted reseller. But I also want to guard to have unfounded ghoststories out.

http://www.letmegooglethat.com/?q=account+ban+stolen+credit+card

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> > > > >

> > > > > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

> > > >

> > > > True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> > > > I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> > > > Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

> > >

> > > Which **does not help you one bit** if your account was banned due to use of a fraudulent key.

> > >

> > > Sure CDKeys might reimburse you for your purchase and return your money, they will do nothing (because they can do nothing) about any damage caused to your account.

> >

> > Can you quote someone who has encounterd this? I do expect CDkeys to have a decent amount of keys in store. Within 3 days after purchase Arenanet will know a payment bounced and will make the key invalid. So it is unlikely you can succesfuĺly bind such a key to your account.

>

> Arenanet doesn't make the key invalid. They block the account (every company does, even steam), especially if the key was acquired via stolen credit card information.

If someone obtains a key, do not use it to add it to an account and payment bounces, they do revoke the key. Only if the key was used on an account, they block the account (but adding a key to an account make it unasable for reselling anyways).

So there are several situations.

1: When a key is used on an account, it is worthless and when being re-sold, the new owner can not use the key.

Re: I have seen some reports from CDkeys that this happens. I have not heard anything that CDkeys did not resolve such an issue in a proper manner.

2: When a key is not used, but payment bounces, so the key is revoked, but re-sold through CDkeys. I could not find anything that this actually happened, and no reports that CDkeys did not resolve such an issue in a proper manner.

3: When a key is re-sold, and after using it, the original payment bounces

I have not seen any report with keys from this reseller.

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> They're not talking about the credit card, they're talking about simply buying a key from that site itself.

> Who would claim the card is stolen?

Do you know how CDKeys works?

Simple answer: it's a market place which connects buyers and sellers.

Now assume a seller used stolen or fraudulent credit card information to acquire his stock...

> > > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > > > > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

> > > > >

> > > > > True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> > > > > I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> > > > > Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

> > > >

> > > > Which **does not help you one bit** if your account was banned due to use of a fraudulent key.

> > > >

> > > > Sure CDKeys might reimburse you for your purchase and return your money, they will do nothing (because they can do nothing) about any damage caused to your account.

> > >

> > > Can you quote someone who has encounterd this? I do expect CDkeys to have a decent amount of keys in store. Within 3 days after purchase Arenanet will know a payment bounced and will make the key invalid. So it is unlikely you can succesfuĺly bind such a key to your account.

> >

> > Arenanet doesn't make the key invalid. They block the account (every company does, even steam), especially if the key was acquired via stolen credit card information.

>

> If someone obtains a key, do not use it to add it to an account and payment bounces, they do revoke the key. Only if the key was used on an account, they block the account (but adding a key to an account make it unasable for reselling anyways).

> So there are several situations.

>

> 1: When a key is used on an account, it is worthless and when being re-sold, the new owner can not use the key.

> Re: I have seen some reports from CDkeys that this happens. I have not heard anything that CDkeys did not resolve such an issue in a proper manner.

>

> 2: When a key is not used, but payment bounces, so the key is revoked, but re-sold through CDkeys. I could not find anything that this actually happened, and no reports that CDkeys did not resolve such an issue in a proper manner.

>

> 3: When a key is re-sold, and after using it, the original payment bounces

> I have not seen any report with keys from this reseller.

Assuming that:

A. the key gets made unusable before it gets added to an account.

B. a person buying the key doesn't immediately use it on their account to active the product

C. CDKeys sell the keys themselves which they do not

How do people not get how that site works...

Thanks to @"Leablo.2651" for the research:

Simply put:

Guy banned for buying HoT from cdkeys:

Anet staffer plainly states that fraudulent keys have been sold from cdkeys and that they have banned people for it:

EDIT: edited cause Leablo's message was a tad aggressive and was thus taken off this topic, which does not invalidate his research and proof about CDKeys. Edit is to keep this information available to people who read this topic.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > @"Altosk.8492" said:

> >

> > > There should be a 10-15$ option to remove the f2p restrictions.

> >

> > -Buying HOT removes restrictions.

> > -HOT is under $15

> >

> > Nobody forces you to touch HOT content just because it is unlocked.

>

> And if you join a guild, even without hot content, you can access guild buffs, which isn't touching hot content at all but still getting benefits from owning HoT.

Nope.

My friend was FTP and I took her to our guild hall for the buffs, she got a message that said she needed to own HoT to claim the buffs.

> @"kurfu.5623" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > > @"Altosk.8492" said:

> > >

> > > > There should be a 10-15$ option to remove the f2p restrictions.

> > >

> > > -Buying HOT removes restrictions.

> > > -HOT is under $15

> > >

> > > Nobody forces you to touch HOT content just because it is unlocked.

> >

> > And if you join a guild, even without hot content, you can access guild buffs, which isn't touching hot content at all but still getting benefits from owning HoT.

>

> Nope.

>

> My friend was FTP and I took her to our guild hall for the buffs, she got a message that said she needed to own HoT to claim the buffs.

That's what Vayne said - you can get the benefit from owning HoT even if you don't touch the content.

> > > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > > > As for the CDkey website. They sell let's. Within the gw2 system, a key is only usable once as it unlocks online content on a account. If they sell a key that works it is legit. If the key doesn't work, it isn't. Just don't ever buy an account (username and password).

> > > > >

> > > > > As for the rest. The core game is for free since the release of HoT. You get some restrictions when you are not a paying customer. But you can be one when you buy one of the expansion packs.

> > > >

> > > > Not so. One can purchase a Serial Key from anywhere, that may work until the payment used to originally purchase it is charged back. Then, said 'working' Serial Key is revoked.

> > >

> > > So, in other words, those that use that CDkey site will not have the expansion for long.

> >

> > Not if the Serial Key turns out to be fraudulent.

>

> True, but it is up to CDkey to resolve such an issue. They are not a marketplace. They buy the key from the seller and sell it to the buyer. This means they are responsable for any invalid key and should replace and refund. Obviously, it might be hard to enforce it, also cause of how international trade laws work.

> I do believe there are risks involved. But checking good old google you can find a lot of people saying someone (my second cousins friend) got a bad key off it, but it is harder to find any reports from actual people who lost their money.

> Obvious, as stated earlier. If you really want to own the game risk free, please buy directly at Arenanet or a more trusted reseller. I do think you can get HoT for a fair price just a few bucks above the CDkey site.

Sure you might get another key but your account is still banned becouse of a charge back no way around that.