Please Scrap Underwater combat.

Apolo.5942

In world versus world I have come across some ranger specs that can not be killed underwater. They can res and heal to their fullest capacity even when being hit while downed. Maybe I am missing something, and it has been a while since I fought a ranger/druid/soulbeast underwater, but I simply do not follow them there. I don't want to scrap underwater combat, it adds an interesting dynamic to the game. What would be really cool is being able to use finishers underwater.

It might make more sense to just use terrestrial weapons/skills underwater and then build new underwater combat around that to be quite honest.

What I’d like to see though is 2 new trait lines per profession that are only active underwater that caters to abilities while submerged, so you’d have 2 Core Marine lines, and you could then slot in either a core trait line or an Elite trait line. It’s a raw thought, but that’s what I’d like to see done.

> @"Apolo.5942" said:

> People dont really care for the mechanic.

>

> Just use regular combat with 3d movement and recycle the weapons for the clases in regular combat.

>

> You get a riffle variation and a single and 2 handed spears (spears and tridents respectively).

Oh look, another "_I don't like this particular mechanic so i want to make it so nobody else can play it_". No thank you. If anything, i have been waiting for years for Anet to fix the problems with underwater combat so it can be brought back to the game in the glorious form it was meant to have.

ANet has virtually removed underwater combat from the game. There are far fewer areas today than there were originally, including reduced aquatic areas in WvW. There are no underwater World Bosses, only a single underwater instance of challenging content, no new aquatic weapon skins, only a fraction of added underwater skills for revenant and the elite specs.

In any meaningful sense, people can entirely avoid underwater combat for their entire GW2 career. Exceptions are limited to a small number of achievements, map completion, and bits of the personal story... all of which can be ignored for those who really hate underwater content.

So how exactly would the game be improved for the community as a whole if ANet were to spend enormous resources to remove what little u/w content that still remains?

I don't think it should be scrapped, rather, as others have said, it should be _improved_ on. I have the reaction time of an uncultured potato and I did okay underwater. My main problem is that my sense of spatial reasoning got messed with something fierce. Like, I was bouncing from one enemy to go towards a weaker enemy so that I wouldn't die. : p

(Most of the time it was like "Sayeh, plz." ...*randomly flails about, pretending to do something useful.*)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> ANet has virtually removed underwater combat from the game. There are far fewer areas today than there were originally, including reduced aquatic areas in WvW. There are no underwater World Bosses, only a single underwater instance of challenging content, no new aquatic weapon skins, only a fraction of added underwater skills for revenant and the elite specs.

>

> In any meaningful sense, people can entirely avoid underwater combat for their entire GW2 career. Exceptions are limited to a small number of achievements, map completion, and bits of the personal story... all of which can be ignored for those who really hate underwater content.

>

> So how exactly would the game be improved for the community as a whole if ANet were to spend enormous resources to remove what little u/w content that still remains?

There's a Sea/Underwater Elder Dragon.

I'd care if they fixed/reworked it. UW was one of the things that blew my mind when starting back in 2012. The world feels so much more immersive if the underwater part of the world is explorable. Ad to keep things interesting while exploring, you need to be able to do things down ther which boils down to killing things/combat. I just really loved if they fixed it. I don't need it in PvP or anywhere, but in PvE I'd like it to stay and somday improve.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > ANet has virtually removed underwater combat from the game. There are far fewer areas today than there were originally, including reduced aquatic areas in WvW. There are no underwater World Bosses, only a single underwater instance of challenging content, no new aquatic weapon skins, only a fraction of added underwater skills for revenant and the elite specs.

> >

> > In any meaningful sense, people can entirely avoid underwater combat for their entire GW2 career. Exceptions are limited to a small number of achievements, map completion, and bits of the personal story... all of which can be ignored for those who really hate underwater content.

> >

> > So how exactly would the game be improved for the community as a whole if ANet were to spend enormous resources to remove what little u/w content that still remains?

>

> There's a Sea/Underwater Elder Dragon.

Not in the part of the game we can play.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > ANet has virtually removed underwater combat from the game. There are far fewer areas today than there were originally, including reduced aquatic areas in WvW. There are no underwater World Bosses, only a single underwater instance of challenging content, no new aquatic weapon skins, only a fraction of added underwater skills for revenant and the elite specs.

> > >

> > > In any meaningful sense, people can entirely avoid underwater combat for their entire GW2 career. Exceptions are limited to a small number of achievements, map completion, and bits of the personal story... all of which can be ignored for those who really hate underwater content.

> > >

> > > So how exactly would the game be improved for the community as a whole if ANet were to spend enormous resources to remove what little u/w content that still remains?

> >

> > There's a Sea/Underwater Elder Dragon.

>

> Not in the part of the game we can play.

Actually, you've interacted with him once very indirectly, so yeah even where you can play.

But that's reason enough for UW combat to be maintained, and enhanced whenever we have an expansion dealing with him.

Also would be a terrible blow to see what was one of the main features for the core game scrapped because too many people don't have any 3d spacial awareness.

> @"Tsakhi.8124" said:

> I don't think it should be scrapped, rather, as others have said, it should be _improved_ on. I have the reaction time of an uncultured potato and I did okay underwater. My main problem is that my sense of spatial reasoning got messed with something fierce. Like, I was bouncing from one enemy to go towards a weaker enemy so that I wouldn't die. : p

>

> (Most of the time it was like "Sayeh, plz." ...*randomly flails about, pretending to do something useful.*)

This person mentions the major problem with u/w combat, and it's not the combat itself or the mechanics....it's spatial recognition, if this many people have issues with spatial recognition that says a lot for the sad state of humanity(at least those that play GW2). It used to be that people where taught how to pick an object as a focus point and use that to figure out your surroundings, you can do the same thing for 3d environments that require spatial recognition, which underwater combat in GW2 definitely does require.

If they could improve the way that people can use spatial recognition to gauge distance to enemies that would be the biggest improvement to u/w combat in this game. Then make sure that all Elite specs have the full complement of 2 u/w weapons and skills, then go from there.