Extra account security: sms

I personally think they don't do enough to secure our accounts, after almost losing both my EA and steam account i got a bit more strict with security.

They currently only have google security which doesn't really work that well, the moment you have a new phone is the moment you can say goodbye to your account. (had to contact them to remove it)

However, an sms is mostly just as secure yet doesn't have the problem google security has, your phone number is the same anyway.

So my suggestion is simply this: have sms security available.

SMS is already available. It's the method I've been using since 2-factor authentication came in.

If you log into your account on the main site you should be able to change it to SMS authentication, but you'll have to unlink it from the google authenticator first to choose a new one.

> If you want to receive your security code on a device other than the computer you’re using, use that device to download your preferred app. Google Authenticator is the most popular app of this type, and is free, but any app which supports the TOTP/OATH standard (IETF RFC 6238) will work. ([source](https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230673087-Help-with-the-Authenticator-App))

> **[What types of authentication are available?](https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230672927-Securing-Your-Account-With-Authentication)**

> **SMS Authentication**

>

> This type of authentication sends your security code as a text or voice message to a cell phone or a land line, but alternative services like Skype or Google Voice won’t work. See our article on [sMS Authentication](https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/articles/230429447) for more information

>

> **[How do I set up SMS Authentication?](https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230429447)**

> If you’re creating a new account, you’ll have a chance to add authentication when you register. If you already have an account, you can add authentication on the [account management page](https://account.arena.net/) by following these steps:

>

> * Click the “Security” link at the top of the page, then “Edit” on the left side next to “2-Step Verification.”

> * Select your phone’s region from the drop-down menu and enter the full phone number (including area code) in the box.

> * Select “Text Message” or “Voice Call” to choose how your security code will be delivered.

> * Click “SEND VERIFICATION CODE” to have the code delivered to your phone (it generally takes less than a minute to arrive).

> * Once you get the code, enter it in the box and click “NEXT.”

> * Click “FINISH” to complete the process and return to the account management page.

>

You can recreate a Google authenticator as many times as you want. You simply need to keep a copy of the code you're initially given when you create it. Also, email authentication with 2FA on the email is the better option, as all of the options are vulnerable to a compromised email and phishing support.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> I personally think they don't do enough to secure our accounts, after almost losing both my EA and steam account i got a bit more strict with security.

> They currently only have google security which doesn't really work that well, the moment you have a new phone is the moment you can say goodbye to your account. (had to contact them to remove it)

> However, an sms is mostly just as secure yet doesn't have the problem google security has, your phone number is the same anyway.

>

> So my suggestion is simply this: have sms security available.

SMS is a horrible idea. Locked out of my account once becasue of that.

A slightly better method is a keyring token which is just a small item that has a button on it and a LCD.

You press the button and the lcd shows a 6 digit random number which you type in when you login.

WOW uses them ,as do a lot of banks for securing accounts and as long as you dont lose the token its a pretty effective security measure.

The tokens are pretty cheap, mine cost around $6 years ago.

> @"mauried.5608" said:

> A slightly better method is a keyring token which is just a small item that has a button on it and a LCD.

> You press the button and the lcd shows a 6 digit random number which you type in when you login.

> WOW uses them ,as do a lot of banks for securing accounts and as long as you dont lose the token its a pretty effective security measure.

> The tokens are pretty cheap, mine cost around $6 years ago.

>

You have that option now using an app on your phone, don't need an extra physical widget.