HoT maps vs PoF maps

> @"Autolukos.1359" said:

> Hey guys, im currently exploring HoT maps and im having a really hard time doing it. Its like a nightmare. Multiple layers filled with millions of enemies? How can my ele stand a chance?

You learn, you die, you adjust and get better. Getting the masteries and new professions help a lot in the over all enjoyment and a bit of survival. Learning the new tells also helps a lot. When I first got out there, I was getting my rear end handed to me constantly. Not so much any more.

> Dragon stand and tangled depths will give me an aneurism.

DS is like WvW. Follow the mob and keep your own kitten alive. Kitten will thank you for it with purrs. TD is all about learning the map and its vertical differences.

> Are PoF maps any bit less complex/hard?

Less complex as they are pretty flat. However, I find them worse because you seldom have time for a breather to rest let alone enjoy the landscape that Anet created. Due to how they decided to handle mount agro, you will have to deal with triple the agro due to mob detection. Again, some classes will surive better than others, and it is also about learning. I can survive better now than at release, but it is still a frustration for me. And the bounties while interesting, have a whole new set of tricks you have to learn IF you can get through the visual mess that explodes on your screen. I have finally given up and lowered settings to get some FPS back if that tells you anything.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically,it's a lot easier to avoid combat in HoT maps than in PoF.

That is,if you are familiar with the layout of the maps in HoT,you can

use it to your advantage and break aggro fast.

In PoF you will be engaged in combat almost permanently,either by mobs

that attack you from all directions when you are on foot,or by countless

projectile attacks fired on you while mounted,and the maps being mostly

flat means that mobs can follow you.

Mobs are of comparable difficulty,only worse,and they seem to respawn

just as fast,if not faster.

Get ready for relentless CC spam and badly or not at all telegraphed attacks.

Enjoy exploration in the most combat oriented maps in GW2 to date,and an

assortment of what is probably the most annoying mobs created for an MMO.

P.S.Brrzzttfewfewfefwwwwwpsssst.

I am the almighty Jacassranda.

I am the cure for fun.

> @"Jin.8501" said:

> HoT is nice challenge, felt more like a action game instead of MMORPG. PoF is like Queensdale, boring running and doing fetch quests. My opinion.

I like what they did with the bounty system. Those bosses are lots of fun and the unstable magic buffs add some randomness that can sometimes make an easy boss quite a bit more challenging! Unfortunately, I don't think the rewards are quite up to where they should be for them.

PoF maps are easier to navigate, and have more areas with low density of mobs.

But that comes at the expense of less repetitive content.

HoT maps are more complicated (although, except TD, you get used to them quite quickly), are harder to navigate, and are overall higher on the dificulty scale. BUT they also have much more content and rewards than PoF.

> @"Aenaos.8160" said:

> Ironically,it's a lot easier to avoid combat in HoT maps than in PoF.

> That is,if you are familiar with the layout of the maps in HoT,you can

> use it to your advantage and break aggro fast.

> In PoF you will be engaged in combat almost permanently,either by mobs

> that attack you from all directions when you are on foot,or by countless

> projectile attacks fired on you while mounted,and the maps being mostly

> flat means that mobs can follow you.

> Mobs are of comparable difficulty,only worse,and they seem to respawn

> just as fast,if not faster.

>

> Get ready for relentless CC spam and badly or not at all telegraphed attacks.

> Enjoy exploration in the most combat oriented maps in GW2 to date,and an

> assortment of what is probably the most annoying mobs created for an MMO.

>

> P.S.Brrzzttfewfewfefwwwwwpsssst.

> I am the almighty Jacassranda.

> I am the cure for fun.

Yeah, I really don't understand why people seem to think PoF enemies and mob density are somehow less than HoT. It seems pretty clear to me that the mob density is higher in PoF, enemies hit just as hard, apply a lot more condi, and have a great deal more health. Also, as you point out, many of the common enemies in PoF have obnoxious aggro range.

I enjoy combat, but I find PoF a bit annoying at times because, now that I have a mount, being stuck in combat 90% of the time due to 500 enemies attacking me from 3 miles away slows me down considerably where previously it was never an issue. I still like PoF, but I do wish they'd at least tweak that aggro range.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> PoF maps are easier to navigate, and have more areas with low density of mobs.

> But that comes at the expense of less repetitive content.

> HoT maps are more complicated (although, except TD, you get used to them quite quickly), are harder to navigate, and are overall higher on the dificulty scale. BUT they also have much more content and rewards than PoF.

PoF might have lower density but it also has much higher aggro range and the random invulnerability for no reason.

> Hey guys, im currently exploring HoT maps and im having a really hard time doing it. Its like a nightmare. Multiple layers filled with millions of enemies? How can my ele stand a chance?

> Dragon stand and tangled depths will give me an aneurism.

> Are PoF maps any bit less complex/hard?

PoF maps are much more open and enjoyable. They more like Core maps.. some spots are tricky to get to.. but nothing like HoT.

> @"KronosBaelfire.6289" said:

> I love the PoF maps WAAAY more than HoT maps. I was so frustrated in HoT I almost demanded my money back from Anet. There's still a legendary that I want but I'm willing to live without as long as I never have to go back to HoT unless absolutely necessary. It seemed like a cool idea when HoT first came out have multi-layered maps and to be honest I still think it's a great idea but they need to do it way differently or give us some better navigational tools to get through the maps.

The navigational tools they provide are perfectly adequate. The issue is that they intended you to explore to find many objectives. In VB you can follow a straight line to a map marker only to realize that it's far above you and the pathway to reach it isn't marked. In TD you will find you can use the marked paths perfectly well by following the map if you pay attention to the arrow icons that indicate map layer transitions. However, only good old-fashioned exploring will lead you to many of the objectives because they are in unmarked areas of the map.

It might have been just fine if they did mark the paths to every objective clearly, but I'm not sure it would have had the same feel as exploring these maps to find your way to those objectives that are off the beaten path.

> @"Enoah.1956" said:

> Smokescales are glued to you when they do that smoke assault attack of theirs. And killing them is almost as troublesome as the ever-evading griffons.

PSA:

Smokescales drop a red circle, the purpose of which is not to harm you but to protect them. While inside the circle, they will evade all attacks. Simply drag them out and you can hit them again. Before they drop the circle, however, they'll use their teleport attack. It's the first thing they do. Anticipate it and as soon as they teleport to you, dodge or stun them to prevent the damage. Smokescales also have pathetically low health (we're talking below 10k for the normal ones), so if you're using a glass build you can really just skip all the maneuvering and kill them before they can attack.

HOT maps are just that, red-hot.

It's a war zone and you just landed on it. Find your way through an impregnable jungle filled with deadly things and enemies.

POF is a nice change of pace. It works more like a theme park, go there, see this and that. There are some hard parts and the enemies seem to be incredibly tough (they melt to condis though) but not as challenging as HOT.

I think it's great that the game has both types of map. Maybe it could combine the 2 types for the next expansion, so people don't have the feeling it's all kill or be killed, or go-see-leave. It's like anet cannot really strike any type of balance, of design, of pvp, of dungeons and so on.

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > PoF is much less complex and more open. HoT isnt that bad once you've done all the maps a couple of times but yeah... I can still not find my way around tangled depths. Whoever over at Anet that designed that thing is either a genius or sadist. Or both.

>

> To be clear, I love the maps. I wouldnt want them changed. The complexity adds to the immersion. But I need a break from it. Thank God PoF is that break.

I would agree with you if you could make chalk arrows or an equivalent to show you where you already were. Else wise your sense of direction or to follow into the footsteps of a person with a better sense of direction is the only help you got in tangled depths. And anybody who has a bad sense of direction knows how horrible it is to stumble over the same rock over and over and over again, while you still cross a distance of 500 feet more or less. In an immersion scenario, I could look over my chalk arrows and know that i have already been here at least. That you are attacked quite often from mobs you have to devote at least some attemtion to does not help to find a direction either.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > PoF maps are easier to navigate, and have more areas with low density of mobs.

> > But that comes at the expense of less repetitive content.

> > HoT maps are more complicated (although, except TD, you get used to them quite quickly), are harder to navigate, and are overall higher on the dificulty scale. BUT they also have much more content and rewards than PoF.

>

> PoF might have lower density but it also has much higher aggro range and the random invulnerability for no reason.

Aggro range isn't that different from HoT, especially places like Bloodstone fen.

The reason for invuln is that they can't reach you where you are, usually.

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > PoF maps are easier to navigate, and have more areas with low density of mobs.

> > > But that comes at the expense of less repetitive content.

> > > HoT maps are more complicated (although, except TD, you get used to them quite quickly), are harder to navigate, and are overall higher on the dificulty scale. BUT they also have much more content and rewards than PoF.

> >

> > PoF might have lower density but it also has much higher aggro range and the random invulnerability for no reason.

>

> Aggro range isn't that different from HoT, especially places like Bloodstone fen.

> The reason for invuln is that they can't reach you where you are, usually.

You're comparing to bloodstone fen, which is a special case because it's the only map that features aerial combat and has mobs specifically designed to fight from longer than normal range so they can compete with your long range aerial attacks. None of the other HoT or LS3 maps have enemies with that kind of range as far as I'm aware.

Several enemies in PoF have aggro ranges that are quite long, much like BF. The difference is that there's no good reason for them to be this way!

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > PoF maps are easier to navigate, and have more areas with low density of mobs.

> > > But that comes at the expense of less repetitive content.

> > > HoT maps are more complicated (although, except TD, you get used to them quite quickly), are harder to navigate, and are overall higher on the dificulty scale. BUT they also have much more content and rewards than PoF.

> >

> > PoF might have lower density but it also has much higher aggro range and the random invulnerability for no reason.

>

> Aggro range isn't that different from HoT, especially places like Bloodstone fen.

> The reason for invuln is that they can't reach you where you are, usually.

Can't reach me despite standing literally next to them ...

Sometimes while hitting me -_-

I love both for different reasons. I think of the hot maps, especially td, as this crazy jungle adventure that is a bear to navigate and actually quite fun to do hp and meta trains on. PoF is also very pretty, but much easier to solo roam though I don't go back for guild or map bounty trains.

While I hate solo navigating hot, I kind of find it to have the most replayabilty... especially if youre looking for something to do and havent unlocked your masteries yet (my playtime in hot is easily 3x that of pof).

> @"Lord Kreegan.8123" said:

> I hate HoT and I'm not too fond of PoF. They are both a complete departure from the original game concept, level designs obviously created by 12-year old kiddies who think impossible combat is fun; you can't do much without a zerg in HoT and multiple other players in PoF.

> Individual PoF mobs are overpowered and you'll usually find multiple veterans overlapping agro-ranges, and they'll chase you halfway across the map. There aren't very many waypoints, but you'll quickly notice that there are armor repair anvils next to them; there's a reason for that: You're going to die a lot in PoF.

> You'll die a lot in HoT, too, but more often from going over a cliff as you search for hero points or mastery points without a landing spot in sight, hoping you can glide somewhere safe. Jumping and gliding to your death passes for exploration in HoT. The zones are a vertical maze with almost no useful hints from the two-dimensional mini-map. The hero points and mastery points where you don't have to do the glide-to-death routine pretty much require a zerg to get them. There aren't a lot of waypoints in the HoT maps, either.

> I highly recommend going into both the first time (presuming you're going to run alts through those ones, too) via the story; that will get you some waypoints and mastery points with a reasonable level of mob opposition.

What impossible combat? I get around HoT pretty well alone; beside meta-events, you really don't need some fancy Zergfest to get stuff done. Some hero points (Champion-monsters) are perfectly soloable, some require the help of some people, which is perfectly fine in a M**Multiplayer**ORPG. I really don't get the problem. It really helps getting some appropriate gear and working somewhat on your build. That's probably the real problem you have.

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> **HoT maps offer better group content, exactly what an MMO should do.** PoF maps feel like a single player game. So yeah, the latter is easier but also more boring.

You, dear sir/madam, should be awarded with a prize. Couldn't sum it up better.