Why is there a concern about “UI Clutter”?

Swagger.1459

Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

>

> It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

>

> Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

>

> So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> >

> > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> >

> > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> >

> > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

>

> GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > >

> > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > >

> > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > >

> > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> >

> > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

>

> No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

Hardly more slick and readable than current.

> > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> >

> > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> >

> > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> >

> > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

>

> GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > >

> > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > >

> > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > >

> > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> >

> > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

>

> Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

What modern options, except the one that i already showed has a possibility of being exploited?

> > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > >

> > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > >

> > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > >

> > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > >

> > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> >

> > Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

>

> What modern options, except the one that i already showed has a possibility of being exploited?

>

Please explain in great detail how having a modern UI negatively impacts players and the game?

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > >

> > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > >

> > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > >

> > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > >

> > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > >

> > > Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

> >

> > What modern options, except the one that i already showed has a possibility of being exploited?

> >

>

> Please explain in great detail how having a modern UI negatively impacts players and the game?

First, explain in detail your definition of a modern UI. Which is what i asked you already?

What about GW2's Ui is dated in your opinion? (except the fact that you can't move a lot of the elements around, which they don't really want you to, for reasons i explained previously)

> > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > >

> > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > >

> > > > Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

> > >

> > > What modern options, except the one that i already showed has a possibility of being exploited?

> > >

> >

> > Please explain in great detail how having a modern UI negatively impacts players and the game?

>

> First, explain in detail your definition of a modern UI. Which is what i asked you already?

> What about GW2's Ui is dated in your opinion? (except the fact that you can't move a lot of the elements around, which they don't really want you to, for reasons i explained previously)

The UI is more fixed in place, with very little personal customization, and QoL features to it (like health bars, range indicators, ..., ..., ...). Go load up a ton of mmo games and you’ll see UI editors built in so players can tailor their UI to their liking. There are also a plethora of games that allow player made apps to custom mod a UI.

I explained, so?

Apparently Guild Wars 1 had better UI options and allowed mods...

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User_interface

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Player-made_Modifications/GUI_Index

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Player-made_Modifications

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

> > > >

> > > > What modern options, except the one that i already showed has a possibility of being exploited?

> > > >

> > >

> > > Please explain in great detail how having a modern UI negatively impacts players and the game?

> >

> > First, explain in detail your definition of a modern UI. Which is what i asked you already?

> > What about GW2's Ui is dated in your opinion? (except the fact that you can't move a lot of the elements around, which they don't really want you to, for reasons i explained previously)

>

> The UI is more fixed in place, with very little personal customization, and QoL features to it (like health bars, range indicators, ..., ..., ...). Go load up a ton of mmo games and you’ll see UI editors built in so players can tailor their UI to their liking. There are also a plethora of games that allow player made apps to custom mod a UI.

>

> I explained, so?

Ok, explained why most elements are fixed. Because they want to maintain a clean and clear aesthetic and identity. Also it would be hard to manage moving the skill bar around, for example due to all the animations and backgrounds involved.

(In case you didn't notice there's a ton of animations on the skill bar denoting aspects of the class mechanics, like changing effects and backgrounds when you change your legends in revenant, increasing flames representing the build up of your F1 in Guardian, different backgrounds for each mount, etc.)

Other than that most elements are fairly mobile, you can change the chat and the map, and most other elements aren't that big to start off.

Health bars, especially enemy bars can be exploited in WvW and sPvP, but i believe they're adding ally health on PvP. Again, enemy health bars would potentially allow you to track enemies behind obstacles, as would RANGE INDICATORS.

And for exactly the same reasons that they don't allow changing the elements above, they are very strict towards which 3rd party apps they allow you to use. There are several of those though.

So, except for **exactly what you seem to want** (ie, as you let slip in the other post: track enemies in WvW with range indicators), the UI is one of the best looking slickest and most interactive, and modern you'll find in any game. And for that same reason it compromises on customization.

> > > > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

> > > > >

> > > > > What modern options, except the one that i already showed has a possibility of being exploited?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Please explain in great detail how having a modern UI negatively impacts players and the game?

> > >

> > > First, explain in detail your definition of a modern UI. Which is what i asked you already?

> > > What about GW2's Ui is dated in your opinion? (except the fact that you can't move a lot of the elements around, which they don't really want you to, for reasons i explained previously)

> >

> > The UI is more fixed in place, with very little personal customization, and QoL features to it (like health bars, range indicators, ..., ..., ...). Go load up a ton of mmo games and you’ll see UI editors built in so players can tailor their UI to their liking. There are also a plethora of games that allow player made apps to custom mod a UI.

> >

> > I explained, so?

>

> Ok, explained why most elements are fixed. Because they want to maintain a clean and clear aesthetic and identity. Also it would be hard to manage moving the skill bar around, for example due to all the animations and backgrounds involved.

> (In case you didn't notice there's a ton of animations on the skill bar denoting aspects of the class mechanics, like changing effects and backgrounds when you change your legends in revenant, increasing flames representing the build up of your F1 in Guardian, different backgrounds for each mount, etc.)

> Other than that most elements are fairly mobile, you can change the chat and the map, and most other elements aren't that big to start off.

> Health bars, especially enemy bars can be exploited in WvW and sPvP, but i believe they're adding ally health on PvP. Again, enemy health bars would potentially allow you to track enemies behind obstacles, as would RANGE INDICATORS.

> And for exactly the same reasons that they don't allow changing the elements above, they are very strict towards which 3rd party apps they allow you to use. There are several of those though.

> So, except for **exactly what you seem to want** (ie, as you let slip in the other post: track enemies in WvW with range indicators), the UI is one of the best looking slickest and most interactive, and modern you'll find in any game. And for that same reason it compromises on customization.

>

>

It doesn’t matter what MY personal screen looks like to Anet.

This is a very limited UI by all modern standards period, and I’m seeking a rational explanation (because it’s not “clutter” that every defaults to) for having such a limited scope UI nearing the year 2020, when even the original Guild Wars had more modern elements, qol features and options for players to mod it.

Take the range indicator stuff to the range indicator topic thread. This is about something different.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > What modern options, except the one that i already showed has a possibility of being exploited?

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Please explain in great detail how having a modern UI negatively impacts players and the game?

> > > >

> > > > First, explain in detail your definition of a modern UI. Which is what i asked you already?

> > > > What about GW2's Ui is dated in your opinion? (except the fact that you can't move a lot of the elements around, which they don't really want you to, for reasons i explained previously)

> > >

> > > The UI is more fixed in place, with very little personal customization, and QoL features to it (like health bars, range indicators, ..., ..., ...). Go load up a ton of mmo games and you’ll see UI editors built in so players can tailor their UI to their liking. There are also a plethora of games that allow player made apps to custom mod a UI.

> > >

> > > I explained, so?

> >

> > Ok, explained why most elements are fixed. Because they want to maintain a clean and clear aesthetic and identity. Also it would be hard to manage moving the skill bar around, for example due to all the animations and backgrounds involved.

> > (In case you didn't notice there's a ton of animations on the skill bar denoting aspects of the class mechanics, like changing effects and backgrounds when you change your legends in revenant, increasing flames representing the build up of your F1 in Guardian, different backgrounds for each mount, etc.)

> > Other than that most elements are fairly mobile, you can change the chat and the map, and most other elements aren't that big to start off.

> > Health bars, especially enemy bars can be exploited in WvW and sPvP, but i believe they're adding ally health on PvP. Again, enemy health bars would potentially allow you to track enemies behind obstacles, as would RANGE INDICATORS.

> > And for exactly the same reasons that they don't allow changing the elements above, they are very strict towards which 3rd party apps they allow you to use. There are several of those though.

> > So, except for **exactly what you seem to want** (ie, as you let slip in the other post: track enemies in WvW with range indicators), the UI is one of the best looking slickest and most interactive, and modern you'll find in any game. And for that same reason it compromises on customization.

> >

> >

>

> It doesn’t matter what MY personal screen looks like to Anet.

>

> This is a very limited UI by all modern standard period, and I’m seeking a rational explanation for having such a limited scope UI nearing 2020, when even the original Guild Wars had more modern elements, qol features and options fir players to mod it.

>

> Take the range indicator stuff to the range indicator topic thread. This is about something different.

>

1) Actually it isn't... You talked about Range indicators here in this thread already. And obviously because you didn't like the answer there you started this one.

2) I already explained you why it can't work, both from an aesthetic and a technical standpoint. It doesn't work because GW2 uses a more modern UX approach to their UI.

You can easily edit other UIs because they're just squares and rectangles without interaction.

GW2's interface is an entirely different beast that condenses all pertinent information into the area around the skill bar, and adds a ton of interactive elements there to keep you appraised of what you're doing.

3) Also, it's their game, they made it, and if they don't want you posting screen shots of some aberration and saying it's GW2, then they should.

4)I'm curious, what would you change in the UI?

> > > > > > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Who really cares if I moved and resized elements on my personal screen to my liking? How does modernizing the UI, with various modern options, negatively impact gameplay? How exactly does having an improved UI negatively impact Anet?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > What modern options, except the one that i already showed has a possibility of being exploited?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Please explain in great detail how having a modern UI negatively impacts players and the game?

> > > > >

> > > > > First, explain in detail your definition of a modern UI. Which is what i asked you already?

> > > > > What about GW2's Ui is dated in your opinion? (except the fact that you can't move a lot of the elements around, which they don't really want you to, for reasons i explained previously)

> > > >

> > > > The UI is more fixed in place, with very little personal customization, and QoL features to it (like health bars, range indicators, ..., ..., ...). Go load up a ton of mmo games and you’ll see UI editors built in so players can tailor their UI to their liking. There are also a plethora of games that allow player made apps to custom mod a UI.

> > > >

> > > > I explained, so?

> > >

> > > Ok, explained why most elements are fixed. Because they want to maintain a clean and clear aesthetic and identity. Also it would be hard to manage moving the skill bar around, for example due to all the animations and backgrounds involved.

> > > (In case you didn't notice there's a ton of animations on the skill bar denoting aspects of the class mechanics, like changing effects and backgrounds when you change your legends in revenant, increasing flames representing the build up of your F1 in Guardian, different backgrounds for each mount, etc.)

> > > Other than that most elements are fairly mobile, you can change the chat and the map, and most other elements aren't that big to start off.

> > > Health bars, especially enemy bars can be exploited in WvW and sPvP, but i believe they're adding ally health on PvP. Again, enemy health bars would potentially allow you to track enemies behind obstacles, as would RANGE INDICATORS.

> > > And for exactly the same reasons that they don't allow changing the elements above, they are very strict towards which 3rd party apps they allow you to use. There are several of those though.

> > > So, except for **exactly what you seem to want** (ie, as you let slip in the other post: track enemies in WvW with range indicators), the UI is one of the best looking slickest and most interactive, and modern you'll find in any game. And for that same reason it compromises on customization.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > It doesn’t matter what MY personal screen looks like to Anet.

> >

> > This is a very limited UI by all modern standard period, and I’m seeking a rational explanation for having such a limited scope UI nearing 2020, when even the original Guild Wars had more modern elements, qol features and options fir players to mod it.

> >

> > Take the range indicator stuff to the range indicator topic thread. This is about something different.

> >

>

> 1) Actually it isn't... You talked about Range indicators here in this thread already. And obviously because you didn't like the answer there you started this one.

>

> 2) I already explained you why it can't work, both from an aesthetic and a technical standpoint. It doesn't work because GW2 uses a more modern UX approach to their UI.

> You can easily edit other UIs because they're just squares and rectangles without interaction.

> GW2's interface is an entirely different beast that condenses all pertinent information into the area around the skill bar, and adds a ton of interactive elements there to keep you appraised of what you're doing.

>

> 3) Also, it's their game, they made it, and if they don't want you posting screen shots of some aberration and saying it's GW2, then they should.

>

> 4)I'm curious, what would you change in the UI?

>

Actually, this thread is about...

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

>

> It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

>

> Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

>

> So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

I'm not personally opposed to UI mods. When I played WoW I used 20-30 mods at any given time and my UI was completely unrecognizable from the default UI (I even photoshopped my own glass panels and bar textures for the modified UI elements I used!). But mods present an unlevel playing field and a barrier to play that I don't think ANet wants for GW2.

A good example of this is DBM (Deadly Boss Mods). I'm pretty sure that has long been part of WoW's default UI, but before that it was an essential mod. If you didn't have it, everyone else was getting handy visual and auditory cues to warn them of upcoming boss mechanics and how to handle them. It would be sort of like if GW2 didn't display orange areas to warn of incoming area effect damage, but you could download a mod that added them.

Having said that, since they did allow arcdps I am really hoping they take a page from WoW's book and create their own damage meter for the default UI. Arcdps is okay, but it could use better functionality and a better look!

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > >

> > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > >

> > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > >

> > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > >

> > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> >

> > No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

>

> Hardly more slick and readable than current.

U have low standarts

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > >

> > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > >

> > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > >

> > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > >

> > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > >

> > > No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

> >

> > Hardly more slick and readable than current.

>

> U have low standarts

By all means, what is your standard for a better UI. Provide examples. Because i've played just about every other MMORPG and this has the cleanest UI of all, by far.

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > >

> > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > >

> > > > No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

> > >

> > > Hardly more slick and readable than current.

> >

> > U have low standarts

>

> By all means, what is your standard for a better UI. Provide examples. Because i've played just about every other MMORPG and this has the cleanest UI of all, by far.

Wow, gw1, ff14, bdo. Pretty much any game with adjustable UI elements is/can be made cleaner and more readable.

> @"TheRandomGuy.7246" said:

> > > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

> > > >

> > > > Hardly more slick and readable than current.

> > >

> > > U have low standarts

> >

> > By all means, what is your standard for a better UI. Provide examples. Because i've played just about every other MMORPG and this has the cleanest UI of all, by far.

>

> Wow, gw1, ff14, bdo. Pretty much any game with adjustable UI elements is/can be made cleaner and more readable.

LOL

Dude, clean? BDO? and WOW? CLEAN? Are you high?

GW1 is kind of ok, but still there's a ton of distracting elements compared to GW2.

FFXIV the UI takes up half the screen, clean as hell man.

I'm not going to mention WoW and BDO. BDO has the most clutter and unecessary UI elements in that list with constant spams and system messages. It was straight up the first thing i had to do was spend like 15 minutes figuring out what to cull out of the UI and still in the end it was pretty full of unwanted clutter.

But i don't want to be an ass, so go to those games, grab a screen of you playing on a group vs a boss that has a cleaner UI than GW2 on the same circumstances.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

> > > >

> > > > Hardly more slick and readable than current.

> > >

> > > U have low standarts

> >

> > By all means, what is your standard for a better UI. Provide examples. Because i've played just about every other MMORPG and this has the cleanest UI of all, by far.

>

> Wow, gw1, ff14, bdo. Pretty much any game with adjustable UI elements is/can be made cleaner and more readable.

I personally can't stand or like FFXI-2's UI. It's confusing, it's small, it's too bleh.

WoW was confusing as hell. I can't judge BDO and I haven't been on GW1 long enough to judge it.

> > @"TheRandomGuy.7246" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hardly more slick and readable than current.

> > > >

> > > > U have low standarts

> > >

> > > By all means, what is your standard for a better UI. Provide examples. Because i've played just about every other MMORPG and this has the cleanest UI of all, by far.

> >

> > Wow, gw1, ff14, bdo. Pretty much any game with adjustable UI elements is/can be made cleaner and more readable.

>

> LOL

> Dude, clean? BDO? and WOW? CLEAN? Are you high?

> GW1 is kind of ok, but still there's a ton of distracting elements compared to GW2.

> FFXIV the UI takes up half the screen, clean as hell man.

> I'm not going to mention WoW and BDO. BDO has the most clutter and unecessary UI elements in that list with constant spams and system messages. It was straight up the first thing i had to do was spend like 15 minutes figuring out what to cull out of the UI and still in the end it was pretty full of unwanted clutter.

>

> But i don't want to be an kitten, so go to those games, grab a screen of you playing on a group vs a boss that has a cleaner UI than GW2 on the same circumstances.

>

You can change, resize and hide pretty much any UI element and in some have multiple UI profiles for different type of content. So yeah. Clean.

But I guess if you are lazy or can't be bothered to do that then it can be cluttered. Though even "stock" UI in gw2 is pretty kitten. Boon/condition part alone is a complete mess.

> > > @"TheRandomGuy.7246" said:

> > > > > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > > > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > > > > > > Shouldn’t the real concern in 2018 be modernizing the UI and not caring what a player has on their personal screen... they bought?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > It’s not like the way I arrange elements on my screen impacts anyone else right?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Would it really bother anyone If I ran a bunch of apps on my screen that they didn’t see?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > So what’s the logic behind the “we want to avoid screen clutter” as an argument to not improving the UI?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > GW2 has a very peculiar aesthetics that the devs want to preserve, the way the game looks is as much a part of its identity as the game's logo. Which is why they want to preserve that look all the time.

> > > > > > > > I mean think of it this way, in WoW with all the addons and everything, you might look at two screenshots of the exact same place, and it will look like two different games. GW2 is ALWAYS identifiable. There's a lot of changes that would improve QoL but Arena Net are very reluctant to change because, there's several game modes that can be negatively impacted from that change (like your other suggestion about range indicators, can be abused in WvW and PvP), and those changes might alter the identity of the game.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > No matter the asthetic the devs can make the design more slick and readable.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Hardly more slick and readable than current.

> > > > >

> > > > > U have low standarts

> > > >

> > > > By all means, what is your standard for a better UI. Provide examples. Because i've played just about every other MMORPG and this has the cleanest UI of all, by far.

> > >

> > > Wow, gw1, ff14, bdo. Pretty much any game with adjustable UI elements is/can be made cleaner and more readable.

> >

> > LOL

> > Dude, clean? BDO? and WOW? CLEAN? Are you high?

> > GW1 is kind of ok, but still there's a ton of distracting elements compared to GW2.

> > FFXIV the UI takes up half the screen, clean as hell man.

> > I'm not going to mention WoW and BDO. BDO has the most clutter and unecessary UI elements in that list with constant spams and system messages. It was straight up the first thing i had to do was spend like 15 minutes figuring out what to cull out of the UI and still in the end it was pretty full of unwanted clutter.

> >

> > But i don't want to be an kitten, so go to those games, grab a screen of you playing on a group vs a boss that has a cleaner UI than GW2 on the same circumstances.

> >

>

> You can change, resize and hide pretty much any UI element and in some have multiple UI profiles for different type of content. So yeah. Clean.

> But I guess if you are lazy or can't be bothered to do that then it can be cluttered. Though even "stock" UI in gw2 is pretty kitten. Boon/condition part alone is a complete mess.

Versatyle and flexible =/= Clean.

Clean UIs don't require clutter and don't take up half the screen real estate.

Here's a Definition of clean:

adjective, cleaner, cleanest.

free from dirt; unsoiled; unstained:

She bathed and put on a clean dress.

free from foreign or extraneous matter:

clean sand.

free from pollution; unadulterated; pure:

clean air; clean water.

habitually free of dirt:

Cats are considered clean animals.

characterized by a fresh, wholesome quality:

the clean smell of pine.

free from all writing or marking:

a clean sheet of paper.

**having few or no corrections; easily readable:**

The publisher demanded clean proofs from the printer.

I think #7 is the one that best applies to a UI.

So, now that you have a definition, please, back your words with some evidence, and show me a UI you edited in any of those games, that **is useable** and provides the information you require to kill a boss in a group content. And is less cluttered than GW2's.

You have time, don't need to reply to this before you can substantiate your claims with actual evidence. Because, atm i only have BDO and GW2 from the list, but i can easily google search for gameplay images from all of those games, especially WoW that esily show their UI to be more cluttered and intrusive than GW2. So i'm giving you a chance to prove me wrong.