Basics of Gold Farming?

Rimu.7105

Can someone explain to me the basics of gold farming?

I know doing events in the newest area like GH and Pawa raidding is a good method but I do it and dont make much compaired to the other people...

So getting items ((not unid gear))

Blues: Salvage

Greens: Salvage

Rares: ??? Salvage/TP

Exotics: ??? Salvage/TP

The reason I need gold is because I plan to make a legendary and get some extra nodes for my home instance... unfortuatly the most I can seem to have is 100g I cant seem to push myself over that threshold doing what im doing :(

Raiding is not a good method unless you 1 shot the bosses mate, t4 fractals and recommended, dungeons 8 unique paths.

Harvesting iron platinum nodes, soft, hard and seasoned wood is nice aswell.

Always buy the 30 deeply discounted keys from fractals and the 2 mystic clovers mate you need 77 i think for every legendary.

You can earn some extra fractal encryptions by joining parties that say they are at last boss =)

1. Sign up for and be a driver for Uber

2. Take proceeds from driving and buy gold from gem exchange

3. ???

4. Profit

With the current gem/gold rates, it's really hard to beat the opportunity cost of outright buying gold. If your current job allows for overtime or picking up an extra shift, that alone could possibly get you several thousand gold for considerably less time and effort compared to in game farming.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> Raiding is not a good method unless you 1 shot the bosses mate, t4 fractals and recommended, dungeons 8 unique paths.

>

> Harvesting iron platinum nodes, soft, hard and seasoned wood is nice aswell.

>

> Always buy the 30 deeply discounted keys from fractals and the 2 mystic clovers mate you need 77 i think for every legendary.

> You can earn some extra fractal encryptions by joining parties that say they are at last boss =)

Not that kinda raiding, I meant raiding as in attacking Pawa Joko's domain, the meta event.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> Raiding is not a good method unless you 1 shot the bosses mate, t4 fractals and recommended, dungeons 8 unique paths.

>

> Harvesting iron platinum nodes, soft, hard and seasoned wood is nice aswell.

>

> Always buy the 30 deeply discounted keys from fractals and the 2 mystic clovers mate you need 77 i think for every legendary.

> You can earn some extra fractal encryptions by joining parties that say they are at last boss =)

Hard/seasoned/elder or just stick with elder since that is the second highest and available from all lv80 zones. Soft wood prices aren't so great anymore.

> @"Rimu.7105" said:

> Can someone explain to me the basics of gold farming?

> I know doing events in the newest area like GH and Pawa raidding is a good method but I do it and dont make much compaired to the other people...

>

> So getting items ((not unid gear))

> Blues: Salvage

> Greens: Salvage

> Rares: ??? Salvage/TP

> Exotics: ??? Salvage/TP

>

> The reason I need gold is because I plan to make a legendary and get some extra nodes for my home instance... unfortuatly the most I can seem to have is 100g I cant seem to push myself over that threshold doing what im doing :(

Volatile magic is worth around 35c each. From the chests and volatile magic alone you should be getting around 5g per Palawadan.

Exotics can vary wildly depending on their upgrades so there is no one answer for that. Just do it based on their price.

The only way to make gold in this game is through TP. Farming in gw2 is nothing else but an irrelevant chore. There are no clear dungeons like the Underworld was in GW1. A place you could farm all day, get a ton of ectos and have a chance of getting many different skins worth hundreds of gold. In gw2, you kill open world mobs on a 7sec respawn timer, get worthless trash that you salvage and that's that. GW2 is the grand champion of the worst farming experience of any mmo's i've ever tried.

There are a couple of places I like to do it in.

Daily fractals are probably the best. If you have a good team you can make a lot of money very fast. Problem is, getting a toon t4 ready takes about 1000g as a startup. Once you have that money, though, you can make some pretty good bank. You can do t4s, CMs, and the dailies under an hour if you're lucky.

I hear weekly raiding is similarly good, but similarly difficult to get in to. I don't raid myself, since I can't form the community connections.

Personally I like to do all of the HoT map events. You get an amalgamated gemstone from each one, and the rewards from the various chests scattered around the map. Auric Basin is surprisingly good, and if you get one of the rare infusion auras you'll make several thousand gold instantly. I also like to hunt down the treasure mushrooms, both because they give a rare/exotic and a chance at invisible shoes, a 2k gold drop.

Silverwastes and Pallawawa are the ones a lot of people swear by, because they are fairly easy to do. Silverwastes is a bit more incovnenient, though, since you need to get a chest train together. The other good thing about these is that there is no daily timer.

Be sure to do Tequatl at least once per day. It rewards a solid gold for 10 minutes of work. Oldschool dungeons also exist, though getting a group for them can be difficult.

Also there's some people who swear by making legendaries and selling them for a profit. That one requires a lot of startup, though.

I do t4 Fractals and CMs if I feel like those(at least 10g each day for dailies, if you get lucky with ascended mats easily goes to 20-30g)and any events in open world that take my fancy. Getting the Ascended boxes is a positive because you save on the mats you don’t have to use crafting it yourself.

I salvage everything and hoard materials for a while until I want to make something, then sell what I don’t need. I don’t farm SW, I don’t farm gathering nodes excessively. I would make at least 100g/week if I did t4 dailies everyday and sold everything of what ever else I got. Not bad to say it’s not really farming (I consider farming something that is done repetitively for hours on end. I don’t like farming, it’s boring)

The best advice I could give someone is to don’t buy anything you don’t need. As another caveat though, what else do you need gold for *really*? Other than to waypoint, having lots of gold only means you have lots of gold.

If you’re working towards a target, set thresholds, when I worked on my Legendaries, every coin I had over 20g I spent on what I needed. I still only did my usual stuff.

Another bit of advice, don’t burn yourself out farming mats, SW for hours on end. It’s not fun.

> @"Rimu.7105" said:

> Im noteing everything thats being said about making gold, but little has been answered about my original part...what to do with gear?

> greens/blues = sell them or salvage them?

> yellows = sell or salvage?

> exotics = well i play them by ear

My rule of thumb is:

salvage all gear below rare (yellow)

if current exchange price of the rare gear > current exchange price of an ecto : sell

If current exchange price of the rare gear <= current exchange price of an ecto : salvage

> @"Rimu.7105" said:

> Im noteing everything thats being said about making gold, but little has been answered about my original part...what to do with gear?

> greens/blues = sell them or salvage them?

> yellows = sell or salvage?

> exotics = well i play them by ear

It depends on what the material would salvage in to. My rule of thumb for blues/greens is this:

If it is light armor, sell

If it salvages into metal, sell

If it salvages into wood, salvage

If it salvages into leather, salvage

The reason is simple. Ore and cloth prices are terrible. You'll be salvaging 1.3 worth of silver to get 20 copper worth of stuff. Leather prices are bad, except for hardened leather which is really good. Wood prices are good.

As for rares, it depends. Usually I sell rare staffs and greatswords, because they sell for more than an ecto. If they don't sell for more than an ecto, I salvage them with a Mystic Salvage kit. A silver fed salvage-o-matic is also good. If you don't have either of those, just vendor the rares.

Make a thief. put all the gathering boosters on him/her (guild booster+banner+gather extra strike booster). Run through BF, AB,TD and ember gathering from jungle plants only (so you don't waste the boosters). They spawn in predictable places in each zone, so you can whip through on a quick route. Going through all those 4 zones takes me ~10 minutes (there are specific routes in each where the plants/mussels spawn). I usually get 1-2 maguuma lilies per run, though sometimes i wont get any, and sometimes i'll get 3+. Which is ~9g per lily. If I have time, i pop into VB and run the mussel route (close to first wp), which can net freshwater pearl which is ~7g per.

I have 2 thieves and usually run through these a couple of times a day when i want to do something completely mindless. These i park in BF and only use for this run so the boosters don't wear off doing anything else. Very easy way of making alot of gold. I use a thief as I like to move fast, and use all the stealth to avoid mobs to gather faster and get out (again to save boosters and get through zone faster).

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Rimu.7105" said:

> Can someone explain to me the basics of gold farming?

> I know doing events in the newest area like GH and Pawa raidding is a good method but I do it and dont make much compaired to the other people...

>

> So getting items ((not unid gear))

> Blues: Salvage

> Greens: Salvage

> Rares: ??? Salvage/TP

> Exotics: ??? Salvage/TP

>

> The reason I need gold is because I plan to make a legendary and get some extra nodes for my home instance... unfortuatly the most I can seem to have is 100g I cant seem to push myself over that threshold doing what im doing :(

Not knowing your magic find level, I am guessing it's under 200.

Silverwastes is still the best way to make money in the game *consistently* since the map itself has a multiplier for magic find when you do the events.

Chest trains on *organized maps* after the event map are still better than any other map.

Consume all blues and greens for magic find (my threshhold for 'selling' any blue or green was 2 silver, everyone sets their own 'gee, I need the gold price')

Getting your magic find up will gain you more gold faster than any other 'method'.

Boss trains, map trains, dungeons, WvW and fractals are all good at making gold when you 'get bored' with Silverwastes but I don't get

bored making gold - my time is usually spent in WvW and Silverwastes.

WvW tracks for Bloodstone Fen, Lake Doric, Bitterfrost, Ember Bay are all great to take as WvW tracks (or PvP) but the best one is Bloodstone Fen since the three ascended pieces you get there can be *reset* very cheaply (100 unbound magic).

As others have said, boosts, food tools and guild boosts (the higher the guild the better) are all important in finding and making gold related items.

Salvaging rares for ectos? Depends on the price of the rare and it's a gamble in any case.

Salvaging exotics? Depends on the rune you can get out of it, the need for ectos and the price of the item versus the price of the rune inside it.

I used a master kit to break down all materials until I could afford 'forever' tools, the most important of which I

suggest you save for and by off the gem store asap - the Watchworks Pick - amazing tool, always giving you gold, always needed by some. The other tools I use are the 'unbound magic' tools that will come back to the Gem Store eventually - they too give me a lot of freedom - not to *have* to do WvW for the tracks or the maps that have unbound magic since every node you touch with those tools give you unbound magic which then gets you ascended trinkets we all want and need.

Lasty, the best website of its kind is GW2Efficiency; https://gw2efficiency.com/gathering/permanent-nodes?filter.order_by=level

I go to the nodes easiest to get (starting at iron), I skip "iron or silver" rich nodes and go to rich iron, rich platinum and so on - makes a big difference when you have to craft - which is another money maker *after* some of them are raised to 500 or 400 for food.

IF you're looking to craft a legendary... most likely you're hoarding all your T6 mats. So selling them isn't really a way to generate profit unless you already have what you need and sell the extra. Silverwastes(SW) is a great T6 mat generator of course but honestly all the endgame zones are good places to salvage blue n greens for random mats and sell rares and ectos for gold.(check TP prices though to see if its worth selling or just salvage for ectos.)

T4 fractals is a good liquid gold generator as well as speed dungeons if u already have the dungeon master chieve. (Every 8th unique dungeon you complete gives you 5g and 150 tokens of choice.) Dungeons can be a huge waste of time though waiting for pug group to form, better to have a solid group with appropriate skills and builds for uber fast runs, but pugs are usually pretty quick too 80% of the time, i find.

As far as **node farming for easy gold** or mat collection there some good video guides [here ](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWejbevQ-nnwQ32eVf7uHeA?view_as=subscriber "here "): that are pretty quick and to the point without alot of chatting for a couple minutes before you get to the reason you're there.

Last > @"Anthony.7260" said:

> Farm silverwaste and do only riba defend forts. Get 90 bags of green gear per hour - open them on a level 51 and make 50-60 gold an hour selling materials on TP

>

I think SW is often oversold. Plus, Trading Post pricing has been suffering since POF was released.

My last check yielded an average of 20g/hr after 3 hours of busy meta loops including chest farm and then salvaging some bags on lvl 49, per 'http://silverwastes.loltools.net/' recommendation.

Best? Hmmmm there’s a method and time you have to choose. There isn’t a best way per se. but way that fits what you want to do.

I will say that fractals is probably number 1 or 2 In getting gold. However not all the time will you get gold trophies in opening the fractal chests.

Silverwaste. Find ether a guild or get a map timer app so you travel to silverwaste a when it starts.

Auric basic meta. No it isn’t much compared however finding a crew to smack down the meta in 10 minutes is a great thing for few gold.

Salvage everything. Sell everything.

If you don’t need laurels get medium bags with laurels and sell every mat.

Method I use however other people know better.

Daily fractals. And go to the highest daily you can go. Whenever auric basin meta is. Hit the meta and come back. Whenever silverwaste meta is hit that. Then come back to fractals and repeat.

However there’s also lake doric. Hitting lfg for leather. Leather gives a lot of gold. If you ever see those up hit those. And sell the mats.

Pvp is also an interesting way. Not best however finishing ranked you can get gold and ascended shards when finishing one of the tiers.

So in case you don’t like pvp much. Do a couple ranked before you get off and sooner or later you will end up with 15 gold in 20 mins of playing.

Another way is only for skilled people and people who have thought it out majorly.

Farming mats to craft something huge to sell.

If your crafting is at 500 there are things you can craft that are pricy. But it means you have to farm that one thing and could end up boring. And you want to be able to do it for a while to get the legendary piece so it might be bad.

Another is flipping. However unless you write everything down as the price before you bought it. You won’t know if selling it is a good thing or not.

Flipping is a tremendous way however there are big cons and takes understanding the rarity of the thing you bought to know what it’s worth. If you do flipping understand when to quit. You do not want to lose money, you want to gain.

Mystic forge. There are ways you can use it to gain gold by creating other mats however their are cons that you won’t always get the same value back. So it’s also not the best way.

It depends how you want to do it. Best of luck. But remember farming gold should be fun. Don’t do any type of gaining gold if you don’t have fun or you will want to leave when you finish getting all legendary gear. Take your time, there is no time limit. Do what you want to do.