February 6th patch notes - Speculations on Karl's announcement.

Saiyan.1704

> @"Karl McLain.5604" said:

> We are planning PvP/WvW splits, changes to the Confusion condition, regeneration effectiveness prioritization, boon/condition conversion table changes... PLUS MORE!! There are some mesmer changes we're excited about and hope to talk them about in more detail as we draw nearer to the update. Stay tuned!

>

> -Karl

* **Planning PvP/WvW splits**

(Legitimately separating PvP & WvW balances like they promised they would a year ago per that Dev announcement?)

* **Changes to the Confusion condition**

(Activating more ways for the condition to deal damage? Less ways?)

* **Regeneration effectiveness prioritization**

(Reduced burst healing effects for certain classes (Firebrand) but better, general, boon Regen for all classes? Regen stacks with intensity?)

* **Boon/condition conversion table changes**

([The table in question](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition "The table in question") - things could be moved around. Might turning into Vulnerability instead of Weakness? Stacks of Poison turning into stacks of Regen?)

* **Mesmer changes**

(Your guess is as good as mine.)

PvP/WvW splits could also mean more abilities split (since some are clearly better in pvp and crap in wvw and vice versa but not a complete split)

Reduced effectivness probably because some classes do spam much more making it a death sentence for them, so normalized.

The stronger regen will tick first? Making it stack would totally fuck up all the balance.

Might just be a conversion duration tweak

Tone the mesmer down since some are like gods (too many evades + escape mechanics) it is already disorienting enough to keep track of all the illusions phantasm etc without adding to the fact you have to get the right model in time to avoid combos and shit.

I am expecting lots of firebrand nerfs(bunker one) and killing other builds with this nerfs.

Expecting buffs to spirit weapons (cd decrease by 2 sec)

Expecting buffs to focus.

What we should be getting:

-Buffs to FB 1-1-1 traits

- Buffs to Hammer (realy outdated weapon - 3rd attack 1 sec cast time, MB 450 range, change to immob or knockout skill)

- Mace 2# 1 sec cast time buff.

- Buff to some underused traits and traitlines (zeal), moving them in proper traitlines.

- Signets need serious buffs (or total rework), some shouts need rework cause of mantras.

- Condition mantra should have chill too.

- Elite mantra should have protection.

For other classes:

- nerfing scourge (too much op in wvw large or small groups, pvp same problem)

- nerfing spellbreaker and core warrior (over the top for roaming atm) - solution to bring them down to 11k hp pool so they must invest in vitality and toughness.

- nerfing condi and power mesmer (clearly over the top with dmg/condi and can oneshot ppl with good toughness and vitality gear)

- slight nerfs to holosmith dmg.

- BUFFS to renegade, that thing is very weak.

- cant think of anything else atm...

> @"Saiyan.1704" said:

> > @"Karl McLain.5604" said:

> > We are planning PvP/WvW splits, changes to the Confusion condition, regeneration effectiveness prioritization, boon/condition conversion table changes... PLUS MORE!! There are some mesmer changes we're excited about and hope to talk them about in more detail as we draw nearer to the update. Stay tuned!

> >

> > -Karl

> * **Planning PvP/WvW splits**

> (Legitimately separating PvP & WvW balances like they promised they would a year ago per that Dev announcement?)

>

> * **Changes to the Confusion condition**

> (Activating more ways for the condition to deal damage? Less ways?)

>

> * **Regeneration effectiveness prioritization**

> (Reduced burst healing effects for certain classes (Firebrand) but better, general, boon Regen for all classes? Regen stacks with intensity?)

>

> * **Boon/condition conversion table changes**

> ([The table in question](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition "The table in question") - things could be moved around. Might turning into Vulnerability instead of Weakness? Stacks of Poison turning into stacks of Regen?)

>

> * **Mesmer changes**

> (Your guess is as good as mine.)

**Splits**

He's most likely talking about just a few selected individual skills (per class). (splits = plural, several vs. split = singular, THE split ;) )

**Confusion**

I expect them to increase damage on skill use and reduce the ticking damage over time. Would be a pretty hefty nerf for PvE if there is no split, though.

**Regeneration**

Regeneration with high healing output per second will top less efficient Regeneration. I don't expect Regeneration to stack. That would screw over the whole balance of that boon and I really don't want to see the aftermath of such a change. There are too many builds on several classes that can poop out Regeneration en masse and I doubt they went through rebalancing all those skills and traits.

**Conversion**

I think this could go many ways. Hard to tell.

The probably more obvious ones from my point of view are Weaknes - Vigor (instead of Might) and Blind - Aegis (instead of Fury). I'm also quite sure they'll nerf the Weakness duration converted from Might.

Of course, they could also go for a more extensive rework. For example, all pure damaging conditions convert into Might while all movement debilitating conditions convert into Swiftness. This would go a long way to streamline the whole system at least a little bit.

> @"Ragnarox.9601" said:

> - nerfing condi and power mesmer (clearly over the top with dmg/condi and can oneshot ppl with good toughness and vitality gear)

While **condi** (not power) Mirage might need a look, people complaining about (other) Mesmers really makes me scratch my had. This one shot hyperbole needs to stop.

Regarding possible non-Mirage changes: Who knows. Mesmer trait lines have been messed with way too much since the new trait system was launched. Severall traits need a rework or reallocation for the trait lines to make more sense again. So there is a lot that could be done. Not that I'd expect too much.

I dunno man. They surely need to nerf FB bunker, but FB dps does not perform well at all in sPvP. A nerf to boon corruption will surely be good for core, but between Holo, SB and Druid, core is really outdated, and It already took 1 hit with virtues nerf. The changes will not make any difference for DH, which is seriously poor nowadays.

> @"Dhaos.7639" said:

> Any news on bugfixes for the FB tomes? Id hate to see them nerfed without them interracting properly with all traits first. Thats already a nerf imo

I'm almost certain the devs know of the issues (I submitted a ticket, ticket team passed on complaint to devs) but we still haven't heard any official word on these bugs yet and don't know if they're actually doing anything about it. If I had to guess, they'll ship out numerous bug fixes all at once, likely as part of the balance patch. Perhaps that's being optimistic though considering that after 4 months, they haven't been able to fix what is likely a very easy-to-fix bug.

> @"Arcaedus.7290" said:

> > @"Dhaos.7639" said:

> > Any news on bugfixes for the FB tomes? Id hate to see them nerfed without them interracting properly with all traits first. Thats already a nerf imo

>

> I'm almost certain the devs know of the issues (I submitted a ticket, ticket team passed on complaint to devs) but we still haven't heard any official word on these bugs yet and don't know if they're actually doing anything about it. If I had to guess, they'll ship out numerous bug fixes all at once, likely as part of the balance patch. Perhaps that's being optimistic though considering that after 4 months, they haven't been able to fix what is likely a very easy-to-fix bug.

I'm not too optimistic about FB's bug fixes. The biggest downer was our Ashes of the Just traits in FB tree and their improper procs... these were nerfed before their bugs we're fixed... so it felt like a double nerf.

I just hope they make "Weighty Terms" trait work with our Mantra of Solace.

Regardless of what SHOULD happen we are going to get nerfed into the ground. I'm talking smoking crater. People QQ and want instant gratification and want their condi trash to turn the opposing team to ash in 1.5 seconds. they don't want to have to work for it in any way. The FB mantra bunk at least made them work for it a bit. Next week I would bet we kiss it goodbye.

> @"Ragnarox.9601" said:

> I am expecting lots of firebrand nerfs(bunker one) and killing other builds with this nerfs.

> Expecting buffs to spirit weapons (cd decrease by 2 sec)

> Expecting buffs to focus.

>

> What we should be getting:

> -Buffs to FB 1-1-1 traits

> - Buffs to Hammer (realy outdated weapon - 3rd attack 1 sec cast time, MB 450 range, change to immob or knockout skill)

> - Mace 2# 1 sec cast time buff.

> - Buff to some underused traits and traitlines (zeal), moving them in proper traitlines.

> - Signets need serious buffs (or total rework), some shouts need rework cause of mantras.

> - Condition mantra should have chill too.

> - Elite mantra should have protection.

> - ...

>

> For other classes:

> - nerfing scourge (too much op in wvw large or small groups, pvp same problem)

> - nerfing spellbreaker and core warrior (over the top for roaming atm) - solution to bring them down to 11k hp pool so they must invest in vitality and toughness.

> - nerfing condi and power mesmer (clearly over the top with dmg/condi and can oneshot ppl with good toughness and vitality gear)

> - slight nerfs to holosmith dmg.

> - BUFFS to renegade, that thing is very weak.

> - cant think of anything else atm...

I dont think they will touch anythign core guard related, they want us to buy PoF, game is not about balance, balance is when player buy expantion and class UPGRADE since this is a way to add a forced progression but not in armor progressions system.

I think the update and changes will be quite basic, some condition changes as karl sayd but nothing much more, doubt damage overall will be nerfed, im expecting some classes gimmick might be buffed towards new elite traits.

Sorry the bad english... and one more thing. gw2 is ment to facilitate players playing on ofensive they will never touch some things that are a bit op and get easilly broken, that is the main objective of the game, still this is why they are being forced to slipt the skills arround the game modes, to try to reduce just slightly w/o loosing the main objective of the game.

On some games u need to buy new armor on Gw2 players need to buy new lamer elite trait line

> @"Devilman.1532" said:

> Regardless of what SHOULD happen we are going to get nerfed into the ground. I'm talking smoking crater. People QQ and want instant gratification and want their condi trash to turn the opposing team to ash in 1.5 seconds. they don't want to have to work for it in any way. The FB mantra bunk at least made them work for it a bit. Next week I would bet we kiss it goodbye.

I have a feeling bunk FB will simply get a nerf to our Team Healing modifiers as oppose to our point holding abilities... And I'd be fine with that if it means,

* **1)** FB Power builds are unaltered

* **2)** Necro's boon rips are also nerfed.

> @"Saiyan.1704" said:

> > @"Devilman.1532" said:

> > Regardless of what SHOULD happen we are going to get nerfed into the ground. I'm talking smoking crater. People QQ and want instant gratification and want their condi trash to turn the opposing team to ash in 1.5 seconds. they don't want to have to work for it in any way. The FB mantra bunk at least made them work for it a bit. Next week I would bet we kiss it goodbye.

>

> I have a feeling bunk FB will simply get a nerf to our Team Healing modifiers as oppose to our point holding abilities... And I'd be fine with that if it means,

> * **1)** FB Power builds are unaltered

> * **2)** Necro's boon rips are also nerfed.

I have seen Anet throw curve balls with these balance patches before. The anticipation is a bit unnerving, waiting for the 4th to get here...

@Saiyan.1704, wonder if Anet feels the same about Firebrand healing and scourge, nerfing them is borking up the class design that Anet wanted players to feel while playing those classes.

It wont be a real nerf patch, some changes that will be more like QoL, some classes will gain more damage in already existent builds with alot of damage ouput to enforce those builds as "meta".

Guardian main's wishlist:

* _Tome of Courage_ :

- Remove Stability from the 1 skill, compensate with a small damage number. 550 or so on 2050 Power.

- Put the Stability to the beginning of ToC 4

* _Tome of Resolve_ :

- Reduce Healing Power scaling of 1 skill from 1 to 0,6.

- Reduce the added healing on ToR 5 from 33% to 20%.

* _Tome of Justice_ :

- Increase Power co-efficients on ToJ 1, 2 and 3 skills.

* _Re-shuffling and improvement of Firebrand 1-1-1 traits_ :

- Move the Axe trait to the Master tier, Stoic Demeanor to Adept tier and Weighty Terms to Grandmaster tier.

- Make Weighty Terms apply the Immobilize on first charge of a mantra, not the last one.

- Replace the slow on Stoic Demeanor with chill.

* Staff 2 skills merged, this skill is now ground-targeted, fire-and-forget type of skill. New cooldown 6 seconds.

* Greatsword 4 now allows moving while casting

* Casting time reductions for Mace and Axe symbols.

* Mantra of Liberation cooldown increased by 50%, charge recovery goes up to 20 seconds from 15 seconds. Stability stacks increased from 1 to 2.

* Hammer 3 should be a short range cone like Rev sword 4, the current long range projectile never hits anyone beyond 450 range anyway.

That's everything I can think off for now.

From what I've read, most of [Mesmer's changes](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26687/shattering-the-status-quo "Mesmer's changes") are basically huge buffs to the class. That said, Mesmers could still receive damage nerfs in the balance update.... at this point i'm just hoping for a buff to Firebrand's power plays.

Now that Alacrity is a boon, we can get it through Contemplation of Purity... wonder if Slow will turn into Alacrity.

> @"Saiyan.1704" said:

> From what I've read, most of [Mesmer's changes](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26687/shattering-the-status-quo "Mesmer's changes") are basically huge buffs to the class. That said, Mesmers could still receive damage nerfs in the balance update.... at this point i'm just hoping for a buff to Firebrand's power plays.

>

> Now that Alacrity is a boon, we can get it through Contemplation of Purity... wonder if Slow will turn into Alacrity.

It should be Alacrity - Chill and Quickness - Slow, really. ;)

Regarding Mesmers: Not sure how you read those changes as a huge buff. Gameplaywise it is great. Without an appropriate compensation it will be a nerf. So we will have to wait for numbers. Regardless of numbers, it will slow down the shatter burst combo in PvP/WvW when using iBerserker. In PvE it will make it more difficult for Chronomancers to provide Alacrity + Quickness at the same time (change to Tides of Time, less iAvenger).

Don't get me wrong. Personally, I'm looking forward to those changes. But without compensation it's a damage nerf and probably also a nerf to support Chrono.

@Xaylin.1860, for me it felt that they are simplefying what is already simple to do, felt as well they are opening for a more passive comabat (by not shatering), and othermore bursty and more active.

ANet dont reduce damage, they increase..... damage is all that this game has to offer, so they wont cut it, all they might do is change some rotation nothing more.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> @Xaylin.1860, for me it felt that they are simplefying what is already simple to do, felt as well they are opening for a more passive comabat (by not shatering), and othermore bursty and more active.

I'm a bit confused by your statement. How do you think things are simplyfied and how do you feel gameplay becomes more passive?

> @"Xaylin.1860" said:

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > @Xaylin.1860, for me it felt that they are simplefying what is already simple to do, felt as well they are opening for a more passive comabat (by not shatering), and othermore bursty and more active.

>

> I'm a bit confused by your statement. How do you think things are simplyfied and how do you feel gameplay becomes more passive?

>

>

For what i understand, they are "buffing" with QoL proccess, better shatter mechanics, and by the other hand have better utility support with them, at the end it wont change that much, shatter will be probably stronger with better passive effects.

It will be more access to damage output but building will take slighly more time.. in wich will return passive phantasm being stronger, fgor example, Phantasmal Mage will cast 2 instead of one, that is increasing passive play performance.

>Quoted from Gaile post:

>**Mirrored Gameplay**

>In the past, we've made some corrections to professions with this type gameplay as seen with the changes to the warrior's Adrenal Health and Berserker's Power traits, which previously rewarded saving adrenaline over spending it. Phantasms are a mechanic entirely based on discouraging the use of shatter skills and as a result, correcting this has touched a larger number of skills and traits than it did for warrior. However our primary goal with these changes is the same: to **create a more active profession gameplay loop that rewards spending profession resources over saving them.** For mesmer this means play patterns which revolve around generating and shattering clones **while phantasms can be summoned for utility, bursts of damage, or some combination of the two.**

>**Power Return**

>Because the power level of **phantasm skills and traits usually assume that the phantasm will not be destroyed immediately,** we have done an extensive balance pass on all skills and traits related to phantasms as well as several related traits and skills. We've also taken this opportunity to re-evaluate some of the under-performing phantasms to rework them into more impactful skills. For example, the Phantasmal Defender skill now taunts foes instead of buffing allies and the **Phantasmal Warlock skill summons two phantasms, each with a new attack.**

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> For what i understand, they are "buffing" with QoL proccess, better shatter mechanics, and by the other hand have better utility support with them, at the end it wont change that much, shatter will be probably stronger with better passive effects.

Theoretically, they **could** rework shatters. But they didn't really say so. Knowing ANet, they won't directly attach any more benefits too shattering (which btw. still wouldn't be passive... it requires you to use a skill and most likely build up the resource beforehand to use it efficiently). First and foremost they will indeed buff Phantasms itself (which doesn't equal passive gameplay either since they have to be resummoned) and maybe alter a few numbers on other skills per weapon (which also doesn't equal passive gameplay).

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> It will be more access to damage output but building will take slighly more time.. in wich will return passive phantasm being stronger, fgor example, Phantasmal Mage will cast 2 instead of one, that is increasing passive play performance.

Again, that's less passive gameplay - not more. You will have to frequently recast your Phantasms instead of leaving them out. Sure, this is more of a PvE issue. But there have been builds we're people just cast their Phantasms and let them do the work. Even in PvP. That won't be possible any longer.

I'm just confused how anyone could perceive thouse changes as more passive gameplay...

@Xaylin.1860, well for shattering im expecting damage buff, has for the passive gameplay that is the thing i might be lacking of how it will work, if a skill now gets increased from one to two phantasm doig damage, how isnt that buff on the passive gameplay, for what it felt is now instead of leave one phantasm doin gis work u will leave 2.

Will the phantasm have reduced spawning time and thus mesmers need to decide if they want to shater them or continue with them a bit more?

sorry about the bad english. atm with a terrible headache (to much brighlights from WvW, when trying to see what enemy is casting in that mess)

> @"Ragnarox.9601" said:

> I am expecting lots of firebrand nerfs(bunker one) and killing other builds with this nerfs.

> Expecting buffs to spirit weapons (cd decrease by 2 sec)

> Expecting buffs to focus.

>

> What we should be getting:

> -Buffs to FB 1-1-1 traits

> - Buffs to Hammer (realy outdated weapon - 3rd attack 1 sec cast time, MB 450 range, change to immob or knockout skill)

> - Mace 2# 1 sec cast time buff.

> - Buff to some underused traits and traitlines (zeal), moving them in proper traitlines.

> - Signets need serious buffs (or total rework), some shouts need rework cause of mantras.

> - Condition mantra should have chill too.

> - Elite mantra should have protection.

> - ...

>

> For other classes:

> - nerfing scourge (too much op in wvw large or small groups, pvp same problem)

> - nerfing spellbreaker and core warrior (over the top for roaming atm) - solution to bring them down to 11k hp pool so they must invest in vitality and toughness.

> - slight nerfs to holosmith dmg.

> - BUFFS to renegade, that thing is very weak.

> - cant think of anything else atm...

You forgot the Focus... What about the Focus?

> @"Seffen.2875" said:

> > @"Ragnarox.9601" said:

> > I am expecting lots of firebrand nerfs(bunker one) and killing other builds with this nerfs.

> > Expecting buffs to spirit weapons (cd decrease by 2 sec)

> > Expecting buffs to focus.

> >

> > What we should be getting:

> > -Buffs to FB 1-1-1 traits

> > - Buffs to Hammer (realy outdated weapon - 3rd attack 1 sec cast time, MB 450 range, change to immob or knockout skill)

> > - Mace 2# 1 sec cast time buff.

> > - Buff to some underused traits and traitlines (zeal), moving them in proper traitlines.

> > - Signets need serious buffs (or total rework), some shouts need rework cause of mantras.

> > - Condition mantra should have chill too.

> > - Elite mantra should have protection.

> > - ...

> >

> > For other classes:

> > - nerfing scourge (too much op in wvw large or small groups, pvp same problem)

> > - nerfing spellbreaker and core warrior (over the top for roaming atm) - solution to bring them down to 11k hp pool so they must invest in vitality and toughness.

> > - nerfing condi and power mesmer (clearly over the top with dmg/condi and can oneshot ppl with good toughness and vitality gear)

> > - slight nerfs to holosmith dmg.

> > - BUFFS to renegade, that thing is very weak.

> > - cant think of anything else atm...

>

> You forgot the Focus... What about the Focus?

"It's in a good spot"