World Restructuring

Gaile Gray.6029

This "comparative analysis" falls flat on its face since WvW is a continous 24/7 mode. They arent comparable.

By this logic, two 50 man zergs raiding against each other is exactly as balanced as entire GW1 alliances... for the duration of the raid. WvW is much larger than that.

Also the "anomaly" in the very last part is players not posting squads in wvw lfg. Its not a bug or anything. Its players. Commanders dont "compete" for players either unless they want to. And then its up to other players.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> This "comparative analysis" falls flat on its face since WvW is a continous 24/7 mode. They arent comparable.

So what would be an good comparison that won’t fall flat on its face with checks and balances or strict rules to the “24/7” Game mode? Would EOTM be comparable as it has 3 hour point resets? It used to be populated until rewards were removed..

> By this logic, two 50 man zergs raiding against each other is exactly as balanced as entire GW1 alliances... for the duration of the raid. WvW is much larger than that.

Hmm, couldn’t find that part in the image where it says the 2 are exactly balanced or same, and no GW1 AB does not equal GW2 WvW, but the 4man teams from GW1 had a clear purpose and was enforced (core design mechanic) to avoid unbalanced blobs, what would be the reasoning behind WvW zergs with 1 spawn point, 1 tag screaming at people in voice and an empty LFG window? Any approach to enhance it?

> Also the "anomaly" in the very last part is players not posting squads in wvw lfg. Its not a bug or anything. Its players. Commanders dont "compete" for players either unless they want to. And then its up to other players.

Hence “players” has to take initiative to post it, yet new players are thrown into battle right away, no set rule is present or alerts them on “how to lfg”, “no guides”. And yes commanders do compete (check voice during reset, it gets real nasty in there)... unless they want to.. be nice. The competition comes from “numbers”, bigger the blob, better chance to win? So the rules are set then, why overhaul servers and this huge thread? :D

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. It can work or it can backfire depending on how it's implemented. The current wvw system is flawed and easily exploited by guild shenanigans: server stacking and timezones. Tier and server doesn't even matter, if it ever did. Timezones and population mattered. That's why I'm not for this mythical "server" pride, I'm not sure it even existed. I know guild pride was always there. I remember the early wvw days, the "Titan Alliance", the tournaments, those were fun times. It seemed like people cared back then. Still, I don't think they saw the flaws of the system yet. Eventually they did. Tiers, tournaments and servers never really mattered because regardless of all that, you were at the mercy of timezones and server stacking.

Then came the server consolidation. Servers were stacked to the brim, guilds got fatter. We went from 24 servers down to 12. Blackgate ran roughshod over the gamemode because, honestly, I think people then realized the system was flawed and pointless and stopped caring. People stopped this farce of a competition because it just didn't matter...you were at the mercy of your timezone and your tier.

I will say, I like the idea of this alliance system. People finally have a choice of who they want to play with. People are not at the mercy of servers and tiers. However, it's crucial that the new system _must_, _MUST_ take into account timezones. Someone else said this, the timezone could be a loophole. Timezone stacking 'could' be an exploit guilds and alliances use to dodge matches. Say, if there's a certain alliance they don't want to face at a certain time of the day... Still, at the end of the day, in a realm vs realm system, you never really know or can fully predict with certainty how many people will play at any given time of the day.

anet can experiment a monthly experience to see if people like it, and then change change alter to make the experience better for players, since it's players who help them earn their keep and money irl. why not set up a yearly sched to do the adjustment like a catholic building their church. it may take more than 100 years but it's getting there piece by piece. to ensure the change is what the players want, make players vote for at most 3 choices to alter the state of wvw, then do that - check the reaction and feedback for a month, then again, make a 3 choice survey, then do that. always focussing on the 3 most important concerns to date but are more related to the changes.

tournaments, to me is the top need. followed by new maps. followed by wvw queue system ala pvp. you can test it in one map in wvw - i.e. red bl. or eotm or in 1 normal bl.

> @"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:

> > @"Kovu.7560" said:

> > Wow. That's something.

> > It was good knowing you, Fort Aspenwood.

> >

> > Still, a complete overhall _is_ the only way to rebalance the population, so I can't really complain.

> > Glad you guys have been hard at work designing this new system.

> >

> > ~ Kovu

>

> The evolution of this post was amazing <3

It was like watching realization creep in writing.

> @"FromFallen.4801" said:

> This whole idea seems very nice for the very big WvW only guilds but for a guild that is PvX and loves to go around to all types of content such as raids, fractals, open world events, or wvw, this change sounds like a living hell. I dont know if there have been changes made since there are almost 50 pages of comments but it sounds to me if this goes through that player will be forced to play with 1 guild or another for WvW and be unable to play with their main guild that isnt very focused on wvw but still enjoyes it from time to time.

> IE my guild has been SBI for 6 years now and we of course there are those of us who wvw more than others and are in a separate guild for more intense wvw sessions, but we currently have the ability to play together without trying to get into an alliance who doesn't want us simply because we don't wvw as much as a whole will make trying to play with each other a nightmare.

> Ive heard nothing but excitement from my friends who ONLY wvw and ONLY play with their wvw guilds but it does not seem like the right path for the majority of the playerbase who likes to just occasionally dip into wvw with some friends when those friends are in guilds that require players to wvw a certain amount or alliances that will be against a guild joining that only a handful of players are heavily into wvw.

What makes you think your pvx guild is the main guild? depending on the parameters, pvx guilds are probably larger than wvw. not all wvw guilds will be looking to group up with other wvw guilds. there will be options to build an alliance as each sees fit. at the every least, it will add some administrative capabilities.

Hmm...

It's kind of ironic that we're still waiting for an answer...

When the original person who posted this article is gone...and the "game director" that provided the vision behind this World Restructuring is also gone.

Over the years on the old & this new forum...

I've predicted many things that have come to pass...long story short...I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer.

Just enjoy what this game already has to offer...or learn to move on with life...imho

It's ok to do both...if this helps you.

Yours truly,

Diku

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

> @"Woop S.7851" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > **A message from McKenna Berdrow:**

> > The goals of the World Restructuring system are:

> > - Create great matches

> > - Handle population fluctuations

> > - Balance teams

> > - Diversify WvW experiences

>

> Below is an "analysis" of GW1 Alliance Battles versus GW2 WvW, please note this post is only an analytical approach in order to **address the above 4 items mentioned**. GW1 Alliance Battles (even though small in scope compared to WvW) had elements that worked in the long-run, and possibly could inspire direction/creativity, it's always good to challenge our own opinions in order to remove blind-spots that can cost us dearly; is it really the Server links that is the issue? Is it the design? Mechanics? Player behavior? Why are Commanders always competing on the same side or in voice? Why is blobbing the main trend? in PvP mode (5v5), similar skills/traits are used, but at an smaller scale, could what's done there be carried over to balance a 10 v 20 fight?10v100 fight? (Scenario analysis needed from Big Data) Why is the WvW party search window always empty? In no way do I claim what is right or wrong, but only offer an perspective below. **GW2 WvW has tons of potential! the scope of WvW is very big, it is my hope this post might inspire "Constructive Feedback" that could help the developers to improve this Game-mode in the long-run**, with the reality of limited resources, to re-develop servers of this magnitude is no easy feat, something to keep in mind. Constructive comments welcomed! :)

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/XNt2DQN.jpg "")

>

I loved gw1 alliance battles. It was so much fun. Was very disappointed in wvw but couldnt go back to ab it was dead.

I saw that gw1 and gw2 comparison and although I never played gw1 alliance battles, I can tell right off the bat that it's superior on all categories. It really punishes player shenanigans. Build diversity in gw1, as with everything else in it, BLOWS gw2 out of the water. In gw2, all you get are FB/Scourge/Scrapper zerg trains. It's stupid.

> @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> I saw that gw1 and gw2 comparison and although I never played gw1 alliance battles, I can tell right off the bat that it's superior on all categories. It really punishes player shenanigans. Build diversity in gw1, as with everything else in it, BLOWS gw2 out of the water. In gw2, all you get are FB/Scourge/Scrapper zerg trains. It's stupid.

fb scourge rev scrapper zerg trains =)