Why are names not being released/Can't create character

Voo.3421

Every single name is somehow taken. I've been sitting at the character creation for the last 45 minutes. Not only is every possible random name taken, there is some sort of orwellian spam protection system in place which I have never seen in any other game I've ever played. I've played some very mainstream MMOs and I have never encountered this much problems creating a character.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After an hour of banging my head against the wall trying to come up with LITERALLY ANY name, I'm thinking that trying this game again might have been a mistake. It's honestly baffling that something stupid like not being able to create a character is stopping me from playing this game.

> @"Voo.3421" said:

> Every single name is somehow taken. I've been sitting at the character creation for the last 45 minutes. Not only is every possible random name taken, there is some sort of orwellian spam protection system in place which I have never seen in any other game I've ever played. I've played some very mainstream MMOs and I have never encountered this much problems creating a character.

I'm sorry you are having trouble finding a name, but I just tried a bunch that have been on my "possible names" list for 2 years and they are all still available. What sort of name are you seeking? I'm sure we can offer some suggestions.

As to why names are **never** released: there's no subscription in this game. People come & go as they please, sometimes for RL reasons. People would be very upset to find their names gone after e.g. returning from serving their country overseas. There are a number of other threads with people raising the same issue, if you care to take a look at what others have said on the topic.

Remember special characters are allowed... so various types of accents (accutes, graves, etc.) and that phonemic ae thing work. It makes it slightly harder for people to contact you, but honestly why would they release names already taken by players? Those people (just like you are now) may wish to come back to the game.

Even more frustrating, when you eventually find a name after an hour, you will have to start your character creation from scratch because you have been logged off for being idle. It makes people hurry through character creation and maybe pick names they never wanted. Maybe they are selling more makeover kits that way, but you should never bee kicked from character creation, even if you left the computer for an hour.

Tip: make a list of ten or twenty names not related to LOTR or any other mainstream IP, or standard mythological names. Then rush through character creation to get to the naming screen and see if any of them is available. Once you got one and the character is made, delete it and start over with character creation. You'll have some time (I've read 24 hours somewhere?) during which the name will remain reserved.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> Even more frustrating, when you eventually find a name after an hour, you will have to start your character creation from scratch because you have been logged off for being idle. It makes people hurry through character creation and maybe pick names they never wanted. Maybe they are selling more makeover kits that way, but you should never bee kicked from character creation, even if you left the computer for an hour.

Easily solved. Click your way through character creation without doing anything, and get your name. Then delete the character and start over for real. The name will be reserved.

Or pick an original name to begin with. The only time I ever ran into naming problems is when I tried to make a jokey name.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > Even more frustrating, when you eventually find a name after an hour, you will have to start your character creation from scratch because you have been logged off for being idle. It makes people hurry through character creation and maybe pick names they never wanted. Maybe they are selling more makeover kits that way, but you should never bee kicked from character creation, even if you left the computer for an hour.

>

> Easily solved. Click your way through character creation without doing anything, and get your name. Then delete the character and start over for real. The name will be reserved.

>

> Or pick an original name to begin with. The only time I ever ran into naming problems is when I tried to make a jokey name.

How does that solve the problem that you have to finish your character creation within a specific, short amount of time? I have actually started making screenshots for every step in character creation out of fear that I'll have to start over. Just when you were happy after fiddling around with the sliders, boom, every setting is reset. The game should at least save the last settings you made.

@"Faaris.8013" said:

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > > Even more frustrating, when you eventually find a name after an hour, you will have to start your character creation from scratch because you have been logged off for being idle. It makes people hurry through character creation and maybe pick names they never wanted. Maybe they are selling more makeover kits that way, but you should never bee kicked from character creation, even if you left the computer for an hour.

> >

> > Easily solved. Click your way through character creation without doing anything, and get your name. Then delete the character and start over for real. The name will be reserved.

> >

> > Or pick an original name to begin with. The only time I ever ran into naming problems is when I tried to make a jokey name.

>

> How does that solve the problem that you have to finish your character creation within a specific, short amount of time? I have actually started making screenshots for every step in character creation out of fear that I'll have to start over. Just when you were happy after fiddling around with the sliders, boom, every setting is reset. The game should at least save the last settings you made.

Must be a connection issue. I've never been kicked from character creation and sometimes I've taken over an hour. And you weren't talking about the first 9 steps, you were just talking about taking an hour to find a name. My previous post did offer a solution for that: first reserve a name, then create the character.

can't say I've had this problem ever, I've even replaced a few of my characters recently (one yesterday), and still have a list of names that I wrote over a year ago that haven't been taken (checked on naming contract).

things I can suggest are get creative with your spelling, don't try to get names from movies/books/etc (because those are always going to be taken) and if your creative spelling fails choose a last name (or a title like Professor). lastly, if you're really struggling, accented letters can be used.

The character creator should not kick you out unless you're completely inactive for a long period of time (I'm not sure how long but it's more than 10 minutes). If you're pressing buttons, moving sliders or trying names it should not kick you at all - that sounds like connectivity issues. If you're trying to think of names to try and concerned you might get kicked out just click to go back to the previous screen and then forward again (or type a name you know is taken) so the game knows you're not inactive.

If you want to make sure a name is free before you make the character click create, skip to end and name them. Once you've got one that's not taken and you're in the tutorial with your random character you can log out and delete them and the name will be saved to your account for 24 hours. Now you can take your time making the character knowing the name will be there waiting for you.

If you're having trouble coming up with a name here's some advice:

1) GW2 has over 11 million accounts with anywhere between 1 and 70 characters on each. If you're copying a name from somewhere else assume it will be taken. Have you ever heard of a 90's point and click series called Legends of Kyrandia? Do you remember the name of the player character from the 2nd game? No? Well apparently enough people do that every variant of Zanthia, Mystic Zanthia, Alchemist Zanthia etc. I could think of was taken. It might feel like you're the only fan of that character in the entire world, but you're not and apparently the others play GW2 as well. You're going to have a lot more luck if you make up your own names, or if you combine a name from somewhere else with original parts - like a copied first name and an original family name.

2) You can use spaces, or special (accented) characters, which opens up a lot more options.

3) Add, remove or rearrange letters. It won't work for all names but for some it works really well.

4) Add a last name or title/nickname. Humans in Tyria have family names, charr have warband names and norn either have a lastname referencing a famous relative or referencing their own achievements. Sylvari don't have family names but could have a two word first name. Asura do only have 1 word names but often have a title, as do all the other races. This could be an actual title like Professor Ambage, or a nickname style one, like Angolf the Wolf.

5) Try using synonyms or other languages. This works best if you want a name that describes the character - pick a word that fits and head to Google/Google Translate for other options. My personal favourites are Welsh, Latin and Quenya (not on Google Translate, but there's plenty of online dictionaries) but you can use any language you like. You might find something that looks even nicer. For example I wouldn't call a character Lizard, but Akkedis - lizard in Afrikaans - is the first name of my latest character. (Wasn't going to be, but I stumbled on the word while looking up other ideas and it stuck.) Similarly you could try other language variants of names. (Wikipedia is a good resource for this, it often includes both the name in other modern languages and, if applicable, ancient languages it's derived from.)

6) Combine ideas. Find a word that fits and then move the letters around until it looks good (chances are no one will know what it means anyway so it doesn't matter if the spelling is wrong). Or combine two words you like to make a first name - family/warband name combination.

Alternatively I could PM you some names I've used for temporary characters who are now deleted. It's pretty unlikely anyone will have taken them in the last few months. Some are one-word names, some are two words and I think one is 3 words. 1 is specific to charr and 1 to humans but the others could probably work for any race if you're not strict about the lore.

Callan Fortnight

Warron Brownshoe

Cadin McFadden

Ornell Walker

Tilah Feesil

Emma Wackson

Cornell Batteree

Ogan Farcry

Thersden Mandell

Vicky Volatyle

Arcam Wiley

Orfynn Childless

...... I can go on for hours. You can use them all or mix and match. Pretty sure very few or even none are taken.

Enjoy :)

**Edit:**

Forgot to add this:

Take Ogan Farcry and: Fargan Ocry - Argan Fycro - Fogan Arcry - etc... doesn't always come out nice but it's fun to do and an endless source of Fantasy names.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> Must be a connection issue. I've never been kicked from character creation and sometimes I've taken over an hour. And you weren't talking about the first 9 steps, you were just talking about taking an hour to find a name. My previous post did offer a solution for that: first reserve a name, then create the character.

After 3 hours, it'll kick you back to character select due to inactivity.