Buying and Selling "Runs"

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> >

> > - Second, after digging into the origins of the funds involved in large transfers, we learned that almost all of them were directly involved in some form of Fraud and/or RMT. Obviously, Fraud is disallowed, and Real Money Trading (RMT) is absolutely against the rules.

>

> It sounds like this goes beyond buying/selling raids and the like, and ANY large transfer is suspect.

>

> Question: If I buy or sell something expensive through the auction house, and it's discovered that the person on the other end of the deal used fraud or RMT to get their part of the exchange, am I protected by having used the auction house? Or will my item and/or money be taken away as well?

Well...

>While the runner(s) may be unaware that the funds originated from Fraud/RMT, in fact they can be found to be in possession of stolen goods and **their account may be impacted by that involvement**.

The same goes for buying/selling in the trading post. "Impacted" doesn't mean your account would be banned or suspended. If you unknowingly receive ill-gotten gains, the gold/item(s) would be removed from your account with no other action taken, in most cases based on what I've observed over the years.

Over the years I have seen (on the old forums) at least 1 case where a player who bought or sold (can't remember which) a high-valued item in the trading post had the gold or item from the sale removed from his/her account. A dev responded that the buyer got their gold or item through RMT and they had no choice but to remove the ill-gotten gold or item from the game. I think the player may have been able to get his/her gold or item back, since he/she bought or sold it in the trading post in good faith.

Should such a thing happen where gold or an item is removed from your account that you got from the trading post, you can contact customer support to ask for your gold/item back since you bought/sold it in good faith. No guarantees though.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to start off with I do take part in raids and I never have nor will I ever play to be carried thru anything. I started from the bottom and worked my way thru PVE and crafting to gear up and pug'd a lot of end game content and luckily found a guild that does training runs. That being said; it does not help when every other raid group in LFG wants to see your LI/KP/Chest Piece/Weapon/Rotation/Boss Phase questionnaire/ETC..... I've joined armed forces, IRL, That aren't as demanding as these armchair heroes of the internet.

> @"Bofouci.1320" said:

> I want to start off with I do take part in raids and I never have nor will I ever play to be carried thru anything. I started from the bottom and worked my way thru PVE and crafting to gear up and pug'd a lot of end game content and luckily found a guild that does training runs. That being said; it does not help when every other raid group in LFG wants to see your LI/KP/Chest Piece/Weapon/Rotation/Boss Phase questionnaire/ETC..... I've joined armed forces, IRL, That aren't as demanding as these armchair heroes of the internet.

Even worse still was once in a group I watched a commander in W1 kick a squad member because he couldn't provide enough LI's. Squad member kicked was sporting "The Eternal" title. WTF!

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> - First, account sharing is incredibly risky, as it often leads to the compromise of the account, after which the account may be locked for an indefinite period of time, or permanently terminated. We very seldom are able to retrieve and return a previously shared account to its owner, which is why we strongly recommend that you never share your account with anyone.

Account sharing is covered in the TOS, the TOS is quite clear----it isn't risky, it is not allowed. So just go by your own rules and ban them.

> Over the last few months, we have seen a surge in the number of in-game sales related to the completion of challenging encounters and achievements. We've been gathering feedback both internally and externally and we wanted to provide some clarification to players about our policies on this subject.

>

> Reaching back to the roots of Guild Wars, selling "runs" has been a core role for certain members of our community. We recognize that some players are not able to complete all content. Other players have provided a service of convenience or carry through the years, and our official stance is that the selling or buying of runs is completely acceptable.

>

> However, there is a point where things get a little more tricky, such as when account sharing is involved, or when the transfer of enormous wealth for raid runs takes place. At this point, we believe we need to clarify a few things:

>

> - First, account sharing is incredibly risky, as it often leads to the compromise of the account, after which the account may be locked for an indefinite period of time, or permanently terminated. We very seldom are able to retrieve and return a previously shared account to its owner, which is why we strongly recommend that you never share your account with anyone.

>

> - Second, after digging into the origins of the funds involved in large transfers, we learned that almost all of them were directly involved in some form of Fraud and/or RMT. Obviously, Fraud is disallowed, and Real Money Trading (RMT) is absolutely against the rules.

>

> Purchasing a high-cost run directly, or purchasing gold or items to exchange for a run, is likely to result in account action against the purchaser and in some cases the runner(s), as well. While the runner(s) may be unaware that the funds originated from Fraud/RMT, in fact they can be found to be in possession of stolen goods and their account may be impacted by that involvement.

>

> In summary, the buying and selling of runs is acceptable, but ArenaNet does not officially support buyers or sellers. **Buying or selling of runs is done at your own risk.** If we investigate a transfer and establish that funds originated from fraud or RMT, we will take action against all parties involved. That action, depending on the situation, could include removal of funds, account suspension, and/or account termination.

And how do you identify which pricepoint is acceptable? For someone 200g for a boss might be nothing since hes good at farming gold ingame while someone else needs to buy gems and turn into gold to do so. For various reasons.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> I am not a "run" seller, but I think it is outrageous that you can get punished for accepting gold or items that a 3rd party bought and paid you with (as long as you accepted it in good faith and there was no clear evidience of it being RMT stuff)

Try that in real life. Buy stolen property with no idea it was stolen - if later discovered it was stolen, it will be returned to the proper owner and you will not be compensated. Likewise, if you sold something and the person paid with a check that you thought was legitimate (but really forged/stolen), you are likely out of that money. So the ArenaNet policy is matching what does happen in the real world.

The risk here increases with the price. If a run is being sold for 5g, likelihood of that gold being illegal gotten is low (since it isn't much), and even if it is, you are not out much if it is taken away. However, if the charge is 100 gold, both of those change.

I suspect some of this policy is that gold farmers/fraudsters are moving money around on the basis 'it was a paid raid run'. So now 100 gold (or more) of improperly gained gold becomes legitimate gold in the system, so Anet had to do something about it.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> I am not a "run" seller, but I think it is outrageous that you can get punished for accepting gold or items that a 3rd party bought and paid you with (as long as you accepted it in good faith and there was no clear evidience of it being RMT stuff)

What she said was that your account can be _impacted_. If ANet determined you got paid with RMT gold, then they'd remove the gold from the economy, and you'd end up with nothing.

You'd only get "punished" if it turns out you were knowingly facilitating the transfer into the game of RMT funds, e.g. if the person (foolishly) told you vial email the source of the gold.

Gaile hasn't said anything new. These are the same standards ANet has always used in the game. All she's done is collate them into a single post.

* Selling a spot is okay.

* Advertising for goods is not okay.

* Buyer and seller are at their own risk; if anything goes wrong, ANet isn't going to make good on the trade.

* Buyer & seller need to be reasonably sensible about trusting the other party: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If the buyer accepts a super high price, be prepared to end up with nothing.

* Don't share accounts and especially don't share your account details with anyone else.

The fact is that these sorts of unofficial trades take place all the time and the vast majority of them work out fine. We only hear about the ones that go poorly; satisfied participants in the deals don't have anything worth writing about.

> @"Solvar.7953" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > I am not a "run" seller, but I think it is outrageous that you can get punished for accepting gold or items that a 3rd party bought and paid you with (as long as you accepted it in good faith and there was no clear evidience of it being RMT stuff)

>

> Try that in real life. Buy stolen property with no idea it was stolen - if later discovered it was stolen, it will be returned to the proper owner and you will not be compensated. Likewise, if you sold something and the person paid with a check that you thought was legitimate (but really forged/stolen), you are likely out of that money. So the ArenaNet policy is matching what does happen in the real world.

> The risk here increases with the price. If a run is being sold for 5g, likelihood of that gold being illegal gotten is low (since it isn't much), and even if it is, you are not out much if it is taken away. However, if the charge is 100 gold, both of those change.

> I suspect some of this policy is that gold farmers/fraudsters are moving money around on the basis 'it was a paid raid run'. So now 100 gold (or more) of improperly gained gold becomes legitimate gold in the system, so Anet had to do something about it.

>

Not everything here is with stolen money. That could aply to literally everything in the game that invloves rl money. From gemstore purchases to gold purchases with gold bought with gems. Its anet's job to find and ban these ppl. Seller put up a price and buyers are advised heavily to either farm the price or use rl money to buy gold in game. That feature has exusted fir years idk why its bad only clear sellers.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" :

> If the buy accepts a super high price, be prepared to end up with nothing.

What is a super high price? For example, on NA the raid sell prices are much higher than on EU. Also, on EU at least, there is lots of competition, so the market kind of corrects itself. If there weren't buyers for prices, the prices would go down. Don't tell me every single buyer of the dozens of buyers every day are using RMT to obtain their funds.

I always appreciated how Anet treats players equally when things come to in-game progression. Game mechanics or developers do not favor some players over others. Everyone stands on the equal ground. For example, if someone has a Title or Item that is only obtainable by learning, practicing and overcoming a certain challenge, in my eyes, there was no other way to get that Title or Item. And players who had them also had the prestige of being a good player. Because they play, and play hard!

Well Anet, you just threw that image into the trash can. You just made rewards from challenging PvE content meaningless. (At least in my eyes.) From now on, once the PvE content completed for fun, there is no further incentive for me to come back and visit them again. (Hell, I can watch it on YouTube, no need to play the game at all. )

> @"Wanze.8410" said:

> This practice of selling raid runs only profits a fair few, while damaging the majority because it doesnt encourage teaching your fellow players.

> Creating a grey market that obviously feeds from RMT is probably the worst solution here for you as a company and the majority of the player base.

Whats the difference between selling raids and using [/r/gw2exchange](https://www.reddit.com/r/GW2Exchange/)? In both cases, people are participating in the grey market, offering something of value to a willing purchaser. I don't see why this encourages people to RMT anymore than buying a Confetti or Chak infusion would, since at more than 10k gold those are even more out of reach of the "typical" player than buying raids.

Just like people can choose to learn how to make gold via the TP, as you do, people can choose to learn how to raid. And just as people might choose to use their credit card to convert RL cash to gems to gold to buy a fancy infusion, why isn't also okay for them to choose to spend that gold on a service?

Of course there are problems associated with selling raids, but there are also issues with the Exchange. (And, importantly, one of the reasons why there are relatively few problems with the exchange is that you and your fellow moderators of the subreddit take great pains to ensure transparency (including the newer rule of requiring people to post their IGN).

On the whole, I'd say the bigger threat to the game is from people who /kick folks near the final encounter of raids or fractals, to allow their friends in. While that's probably an issue smaller in magnitude than we think, it can impact anyone who PUGs, not just people choosing to participate in the grey market.

> @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > @"DirtyDan.4759" said:

> > > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > > Please update the LFG function to allow us who do not care for this practice at all to be able to filter LFG entires containing certain keywords (such as "Sell") out.

> >

> > Why? If the filter will go live people will stop selling and start s3lling or $€lling.

>

> Of course not. I'm a raid seller. I would be happy for people who don't want to see the advertisement to be able to filter for example -sell in the LFG tab. How would circumventing their filter with for example s3ll help me in any way? If they bother to filter the ad out, they aren't interested in buying anyway (or they wouldn't filter it out).

Precisely. It is self-correcting like that.

Besides, we’re long overdue to be able to filter LFG in more ways. For example I don’t speak either German nor French so groups tagged with the little flags are entirely pointless to me other than a warning to stay away. Let me filter those out, too.

> @"KIRPAT.2194" said:

> I always appreciated how Anet treats players equally when things come to in-game progression. Game mechanics or developers do not favor some players over others. Everyone stands on the equal ground. For example, if someone has a Title or Item that is only obtainable by learning, practicing and overcoming a certain challenge, in my eyes, there was no other way to get that Title or Item. And players who had them also had the prestige of being a good player. Because they play, and play hard!

>

> Well Anet, you just threw that image to the trash can. You just made rewards from challenging PvE content meaningless. (At least in my eyes.) From now on, once the PvE content completed for fun, there is no further incentive for me to come back and visit them again. (Hell, I can watch it on YouTube, no need to play the game at all. )

Maybe you're not aware, but this is not a change in any policy. Selling services for ingame gold has been a thing in GW2 since release, and indeed in the Guild Wars franchise for over 10 years. See for example Droknar's Forge runs, Dungeons/Elite Area runs, and much more in Guild Wars 1, and things like dungeon runs or achievement runs (e.g. Migraine in HoT) in Guild Wars 2. There will always be players who don't have the skill or time to complete certain content but are willing to pay other skilled enough to carry them.

> @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > @"KIRPAT.2194" said:

> > I always appreciated how Anet treats players equally when things come to in-game progression. Game mechanics or developers do not favor some players over others. Everyone stands on the equal ground. For example, if someone has a Title or Item that is only obtainable by learning, practicing and overcoming a certain challenge, in my eyes, there was no other way to get that Title or Item. And players who had them also had the prestige of being a good player. Because they play, and play hard!

> >

> > Well Anet, you just threw that image to the trash can. You just made rewards from challenging PvE content meaningless. (At least in my eyes.) From now on, once the PvE content completed for fun, there is no further incentive for me to come back and visit them again. (Hell, I can watch it on YouTube, no need to play the game at all. )

>

> Maybe you're not aware, but this is not a change in any policy. Selling services for ingame gold has been a thing in GW2 since release, and indeed in the Guild Wars franchise for over 10 years. See for example Droknar's Forge runs, Dungeons/Elite Area runs, and much more in Guild Wars 1, and things like dungeon runs or achievement runs (e.g. Migraine in HoT) in Guild Wars 2. There will always be players who don't have the skill or time to complete certain content but are willing to pay other skilled enough to carry them.

And my stance on that subject is, "This is wrong!"

What Anet just did was, "We don't care, officially."

> Over the last few months, we have seen a surge in the number of in-game sales related to the completion of challenging encounters and achievements. We've been gathering feedback both internally and externally and we wanted to provide some clarification to players about our policies on this subject.

>

> Reaching back to the roots of Guild Wars, selling "runs" has been a core role for certain members of our community. We recognize that some players are not able to complete all content. Other players have provided a service of convenience or carry through the years, and our official stance is that the selling or buying of runs is completely acceptable.

>

> However, there is a point where things get a little more tricky, such as when account sharing is involved, or when the transfer of enormous wealth for raid runs takes place. At this point, we believe we need to clarify a few things:

>

>

> - Second, after digging into the origins of the funds involved in large transfers, we learned that almost all of them were directly involved in some form of Fraud and/or RMT. Obviously, Fraud is disallowed, and Real Money Trading (RMT) is absolutely against the rules.

>

> Purchasing a high-cost run directly, or purchasing gold or items to exchange for a run, is likely to result in account action against the purchaser and in some cases the runner(s), as well. While the runner(s) may be unaware that the funds originated from Fraud/RMT, in fact they can be found to be in possession of stolen goods and their account may be impacted by that involvement.

>

> In summary, the buying and selling of runs is acceptable, but ArenaNet does not officially support buyers or sellers. **Buying or selling of runs is done at your own risk.** If we investigate a transfer and establish that funds originated from fraud or RMT, we will take action against all parties involved. That action, depending on the situation, could include removal of funds, account suspension, and/or account termination.

Thank you for the interaction on this topic.

I’d like to suggest that the team start looking into difficulty settings, so we can have a more “pure” gaming experience for the entire community and help to avoid this entire process of buying and selling game content... and needing to waste time and resources on “undercover” work to find illegal actions.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > Over the last few months, we have seen a surge in the number of in-game sales related to the completion of challenging encounters and achievements. We've been gathering feedback both internally and externally and we wanted to provide some clarification to players about our policies on this subject.

> >

> > Reaching back to the roots of Guild Wars, selling "runs" has been a core role for certain members of our community. We recognize that some players are not able to complete all content. Other players have provided a service of convenience or carry through the years, and our official stance is that the selling or buying of runs is completely acceptable.

> >

> > However, there is a point where things get a little more tricky, such as when account sharing is involved, or when the transfer of enormous wealth for raid runs takes place. At this point, we believe we need to clarify a few things:

> >

> > - First, account sharing is incredibly risky, as it often leads to the compromise of the account, after which the account may be locked for an indefinite period of time, or permanently terminated. We very seldom are able to retrieve and return a previously shared account to its owner, which is why we strongly recommend that you never share your account with anyone.

> >

> > - Second, after digging into the origins of the funds involved in large transfers, we learned that almost all of them were directly involved in some form of Fraud and/or RMT. Obviously, Fraud is disallowed, and Real Money Trading (RMT) is absolutely against the rules.

> >

> > Purchasing a high-cost run directly, or purchasing gold or items to exchange for a run, is likely to result in account action against the purchaser and in some cases the runner(s), as well. While the runner(s) may be unaware that the funds originated from Fraud/RMT, in fact they can be found to be in possession of stolen goods and their account may be impacted by that involvement.

> >

> > In summary, the buying and selling of runs is acceptable, but ArenaNet does not officially support buyers or sellers. **Buying or selling of runs is done at your own risk.** If we investigate a transfer and establish that funds originated from fraud or RMT, we will take action against all parties involved. That action, depending on the situation, could include removal of funds, account suspension, and/or account termination.

>

> Thank you for the interaction on this topic.

>

> I’d like to suggest that the team start looking into difficulty settings, so we can have a more “pure” gaming experience for the entire community and help to avoid this entire process of buying and selling game content... and needing to waste time and resources on “undercover” work to find illegal actions.

No matter how much you change it, that will not remove the demand for selling. I mean, if you had a normal mode with lesser rewards, then hard mode would still be a market. Even a normal/easy mode would probably have a market for those who don't wish to learn mechanics or deal with finding groups. Then you would also have to look at fractals. See fractal 99/100 for example. Each has a normal mode and a challenge mode. The challenge mode has a market. If you want an easy mode, it already exists in the normal mode form. As you can see, the existence of normal mode doesn't remove the market for selling challenge mode. Indeed, even normal mode 99/100 are sold sometimes.

In the end, anything that requires some form of skill/knowledge will have a market for selling. The only way to get rid of it would be to automatically give every single thing in the game to a player upon logging in.

> @"Dzjudz.9142" said:

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > Over the last few months, we have seen a surge in the number of in-game sales related to the completion of challenging encounters and achievements. We've been gathering feedback both internally and externally and we wanted to provide some clarification to players about our policies on this subject.

> > >

> > > Reaching back to the roots of Guild Wars, selling "runs" has been a core role for certain members of our community. We recognize that some players are not able to complete all content. Other players have provided a service of convenience or carry through the years, and our official stance is that the selling or buying of runs is completely acceptable.

> > >

> > > However, there is a point where things get a little more tricky, such as when account sharing is involved, or when the transfer of enormous wealth for raid runs takes place. At this point, we believe we need to clarify a few things:

> > >

> > > - First, account sharing is incredibly risky, as it often leads to the compromise of the account, after which the account may be locked for an indefinite period of time, or permanently terminated. We very seldom are able to retrieve and return a previously shared account to its owner, which is why we strongly recommend that you never share your account with anyone.

> > >

> > > - Second, after digging into the origins of the funds involved in large transfers, we learned that almost all of them were directly involved in some form of Fraud and/or RMT. Obviously, Fraud is disallowed, and Real Money Trading (RMT) is absolutely against the rules.

> > >

> > > Purchasing a high-cost run directly, or purchasing gold or items to exchange for a run, is likely to result in account action against the purchaser and in some cases the runner(s), as well. While the runner(s) may be unaware that the funds originated from Fraud/RMT, in fact they can be found to be in possession of stolen goods and their account may be impacted by that involvement.

> > >

> > > In summary, the buying and selling of runs is acceptable, but ArenaNet does not officially support buyers or sellers. **Buying or selling of runs is done at your own risk.** If we investigate a transfer and establish that funds originated from fraud or RMT, we will take action against all parties involved. That action, depending on the situation, could include removal of funds, account suspension, and/or account termination.

> >

> > Thank you for the interaction on this topic.

> >

> > I’d like to suggest that the team start looking into difficulty settings, so we can have a more “pure” gaming experience for the entire community and help to avoid this entire process of buying and selling game content... and needing to waste time and resources on “undercover” work to find illegal actions.

>

> No matter how much you change it, that will not remove the demand for selling. I mean, if you had a normal mode with lesser rewards, then hard mode would still be a market. Even a normal/easy mode would probably have a market for those who don't wish to learn mechanics or deal with finding groups. Then you would also have to look at fractals. See fractal 99/100 for example. Each has a normal mode and a challenge mode. The challenge mode has a market. If you want an easy mode, it already exists in the normal mode form. As you can see, the existence of normal mode doesn't remove the market for selling challenge mode. Indeed, even normal mode 99/100 are sold sometimes.

>

> In the end, anything that requires some form of skill/knowledge will have a market for selling. The only way to get rid of it would be to automatically give every single thing in the game to a player upon logging in.

Well, making forum posts to clarify is not a step closer to a solution. And honesly, it creates a bad image for Anet to be in this position, and even worse looking to be greenlighting end game sales...

I’m pretty sure the dev team didn’t create raid content with the idea of players buying and selling access to that content. And frankly, I’ve not experienced any game where a development team encourages selling end game content either.

Perhaps Anet could use some of that $87,000,000 earned from last year to do the right thing through difficulty setting. It would certainly disincentiving buying and selling content, and start incentivising more players to get involved with end game content.

>

Could you please clarify the following situation:

a shady player comes into possession of shady gold somehow, and buys a raid kill

raid seller group accepts gold and carries a buyer through a kill

Are you saying the sellers can be banned in this situation? Its one thing to take gold away if its shady gold, but a ban seems surprising.