Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

> @"DannyBoy.9601" said:

> So, i've had the same issue getting disconnected in story instances, keep trying and eventually sometimes manage to get through it, however i've been stuck on Hearts and Minds for a while now (only attempted it around 5 times) always disconnected after beating mordremoth in the dreamscape. I went through everything with Anet tech support, (stopped services and startups, flushed dns, changed in game settings etc, eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".

>

> Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnects (well, not tonight anyway) finished hearts and minds, even got cocky and halfway through went to make something to eat! i'm not sure which routers have this setting other than my own, but, if you are on Virgin Media with a hub 3.0, login to your router, advanced settings, security, firewall, uncheck ip flood detection and apply changes. i went from numerous dropped packets on every hop to basically no dropped packets other then to unreachable hosts.

>

> I hope it works for some of you.

Dude you're the man - thank you for this!

Another virgin super hub "fixed"

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had this exact issue on a VM super hub 3. I have made the change to the IP Flooding and will see if it fixes it. It does seem absurd that we are having to make these workarounds when this has clearly been a problem for so long. I'm a returning player and I just want to close out the game storyline, but this nonsense is putting me off!

An issue I've had for YEARS. To be honest I don't know how I even put up with it anymore. Just dc'd from the Hearts and Minds story mission twice and always after being ported outside mordremoth's mind. Worst missions for me were Hidden Arcana from season 2 which I had to replay countless times and I always disconnect in the same exact moment (before the last cutscene) and same goes for the season 4 mission where you have to clear the spiders from the suns refuge. EVERY time there's a cutscene or the game takes control of the camera, I cross my fingers and hope that I don't dc. It's completely ruining my enjoyment of the game...

Worst thing is when I'm playing with friends and we all have to restart entire missions because of my disconnects. It's incredibly annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so very disappointed with this issue still being alive. I quit a couple years ago because of disconnects during story missions. Came back recently this week and low and behind the disconnects still happen(forcing me too restart the missions, losing tons of gameplay time with absolutely no gains).. never during open world, only instances. I just bought full upgrades for me and my wife.. regrettably now. You guys really need to get this resolved.. but obviously its not a priority. This is a major issue and needs too be FIXED.

It is clear that they are not able to fix this due to error prone dev design.. It uses multiple proccesses(binaries), each isolated with own connection so thats why you can use UI (write to chat etc), watch stucked graphics and know that its matter of time to be disconnected. I saw this conncept in few other games and still don't understand benefits of this approach.

> @"DannyBoy.9601" said:

> So, i've had the same issue getting disconnected in story instances, keep trying and eventually sometimes manage to get through it, however i've been stuck on Hearts and Minds for a while now (only attempted it around 5 times) always disconnected after beating mordremoth in the dreamscape. I went through everything with Anet tech support, (stopped services and startups, flushed dns, changed in game settings etc, eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".

>

> Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnects (well, not tonight anyway) finished hearts and minds, even got cocky and halfway through went to make something to eat! i'm not sure which routers have this setting other than my own, but, if you are on Virgin Media with a hub 3.0, login to your router, advanced settings, security, firewall, uncheck ip flood detection and apply changes. i went from numerous dropped packets on every hop to basically no dropped packets other then to unreachable hosts.

>

> I hope it works for some of you.

My own story disconnects have only been happening noticeably to me since I swapped to Virgin around Christmas, so I'm going to give this a go as well. It certainly sounds promising. I'll come back and update this if it doesnt' seem to solve the problem.

Edit:

I wasn't convinced I was totally sorted (seeing a lot of client graphics sync issues as well), so I also set up port triggering on the GW2 ports (I'd normally have done that or similar, but when I swapped ISPs things were somewhat hectic and it seems to have fallen though the cracks). Whatever - so far things seem better. But this was always an intermittent problem for me, and after a career testing software I know only too well not to relax too early...

Edit 2:

Nope. Didn't fix it. I just "finished" the "Darkrime Delves" story within "Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire". And got the "character watching cutscene" icon on my head, followed by a disconnect. And I'm right back at the start of the story. Damn.

• 1 month later...

Hello there, I'm here to keep piling on this disconnect thing.

Anyway, couldn't we just get some half measure like adding more, closer together, checkpoints during story line instances or something like that? I'd be much less pissed off having to replay 10 minutes than a whole freaking hour or something... plus, that would work for everyone, even if we are getting disconnected for different reasons.

Cheers!

Adding to the pile. Disconnect error "7:11:3:191:101" again, same story instance and result as Doghouse.1562. (For the record, I'm in Canada, with Shaw as my ISP.) The third time I went through the story instance, I skipped the cutscenes altogether as soon as they started, and that _did_ get me through to the end without another disconnect, but man, did it ruin immersion. :( I get similar disconnects in story instances while playing with friends, though the person hosting the story doesn't get kicked. In those cases, I play it through alone, usually without issues. Still a bummer either way.

Only have this issue on the long chapter ending cutscenes (which is really really annoying - dozens of retries). On VirginMedia V6 (UK) here. Tried lots of suggestions posted here (many thanks), none unfortunately worked. Found a workaround though which might be worth a go if you can. Tried an iphone (EE) hotspot wifi connection with my laptop (and PC that has wifi) and playing through both the chapter endings I was stuck on completed successfully first time ^^. Worth a try if like me you have tried everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Like many others, I've recently returned to GW2 after a long hiatus. I bought the Path of Fire and Living World 3&4 expansions. But after experiencing this fatal flaw 6 times, I've decided to write these purchases off as a sunk cost.

I have done telecomm software develoment for nearly 35 years and could be the ideal "friendly customer" that could gather detailed information for the developers but ANet's silence demonstrates that they simply don't care. It's very unfortunate because I really enjoyed reacquainting myself with my old guildmates but WvW and weekly guild missions are not enough to sustain my interest.

I’m just arriving to this thread in May, 2020, and have noticed some of the first few comments from over 2 years ago complaining about disconnecting following a cutscene during the final Arah story mission. I’ve had this happen three times in a row, and it’s extremely frustrating considering it’s the final story mission of the original campaign. Has there been any workable solutions presented to address this at all?

> @"Jay Mack.3481" said:

> I’m just arriving to this thread in May, 2020, and have noticed some of the first few comments from over 2 years ago complaining about disconnecting following a cutscene during the final Arah story mission. I’ve had this happen three times in a row, and it’s extremely frustrating considering it’s the final story mission of the original campaign. Has there been any workable solutions presented to address this at all?

play in windowed mode

Constantly press jump/attack buttons

minimize gw2 during cutscenes.

use a proxy

I decided to come back since other games are slow atm and still run into this issue. I was running into this in 2017 during my playthrough of all the personal stories. How is this still a massive issue? I honestly don't want to play anymore since this is a massive problem that has never been fixed.

Same issue here, came back, catching up on story. Every other instance sees me disconnect at the end of it. Please fix this. You've got people coming back after years and still have them running into this hot mess. They pay for living story episodes and then the episode's stories are broken. At the very least start adding saves every couple of steps so that when the disconnects inevitably do happen, you don't have to start from the bloody beginning, slogging through walking paces, unskippable scenes and dialogue's and so on. The story is fun, but not when you have to do it x times in a row because you keep bloody disconnecting. Really frustrating, especially seeing as people have been reporting this for years and the official responses have been rather underwhelming. And talk to your customers. Especially if this has been going on for 2 years.

Tried port forwarding, disabling firewalls, changing settings from fullscreen to windowed, alt-tabbing/minimizing during cutscenes, and pressing skills during cutscenes to no avail. It seems to be tied to scripted events and cutscenes whenever I lose connection and it's the same error 7:11:3:191:101 message everytime. I don't know what else to do to be honest and it's killing my interest in the game.

I've never had this issue for years but now it happens in every story instance and only story instances. I have no lag or fps drops during any world event, even Dragons Stand. Yet every story instance I do I disconnect. It's very frustrating since I want to enjoy the story and my friends are now way ahead of me in content .

After finally being able to finish Victory or Death I was able to get all the way to Plan of Attack until it started happening again. I am at wits end at this point. I wish my problem was as easy as switching a "flood IP" setting off like some others but I have an Arris modem that doesn't have this setting. I just want to quit at this point.

I had one a few days back during the personal story, was in the mission "A Light in the Darkness"

I beat the mission and was at the choice dialog box at the end deciding what to take as my "fear choice" and after a few minutes my game just went white screen... sounds and music still remained but I was locked out of the game, then I got a few of those disconnected box pop ups but the game didn't quit to desktop it just stuck on a white screen.

Had to manually close the game and then redo the whole mission the day after.. which naturally I tried to rush through and bugged the dialogue.. forcing me to restart again >.<