How friendly is raiding for a newcomer?

Thievil.1289

Newbie friendly? You're joking. They may be newbie friendly if you as a newbie are filling a 9-member expert team as 10th member and are given the least important role. But not if you do training with 9 other trainees, which is the way that is usually recommended to get into raids. I got about 50 LI while training with a training group in the course of a few months, but in the end it seemed pointless.

I recommend the OP to visit fractals instead of raids, if he likes instanced content. They scale in difficulty and are much more accessible and much more fun, because your success/failure ratio is much better. It's only a matter of the length of a fight, but usually you will succeed. In raids, you often end up wasting a complete evening with no success, no progress, and no loot at all.

Raid is definitive bad content,this is true,more players ignore this content.> @"Silmar Alech.4305" said:

> Newbie friendly? You're joking. They may be newbie friendly if you as a newbie are filling a 9-member expert team as 10th member and are given the least important role. But not if you do training with 9 other trainees, which is the way that is usually recommended to get into raids. I got about 50 LI while training with a training group in the course of a few months, but in the end it seemed pointless.

>

> I recommend the OP to visit fractals instead of raids, if he likes instanced content. They scale in difficulty and are much more accessible and much more fun, because your success/failure ratio is much better. It's only a matter of the length of a fight, but usually you will succeed. In raids, you often end up wasting a complete evening with no success, no progress, and no loot at all.

100% Agreed

> @"Sanaosik.1573" said:

> Raid is definitive bad content,this is true,more players ignore this content.> @"Silmar Alech.4305" said:

Then just don't play it. It's enough other content out there if you like the game.

Or not.

But even then, a fictional non-existence of raids won't help you nor does it to the game. This summer GW2 will turn 6 years and it's more than obvious that this game have had its climax - years ago.

Firstly welcome to the GW2 :)

Now, to answer with the obvious answer. Yes, raiding is quite hard for casual players. But some fractals (endgame dugneons) are harder than some raids. If you have the mentality to raid in another game, you will have no problem here. Only problem with raids in GW2 is only the start. As you mentioned, it's the problem with "you need experience before you get the job" loop. And that's why a lot of ppl cry over how they hate raids and how ppl are toxic and elitists. Casual players just can't wrap their head around the fact, that everyone needs to play as efficiently as possible so that party can get the kill.

Now with that explained. There are few basic things you need to do before you start raiding.

1. Create 1 meta build of your choice. (updated benchmarks and builds with rotation videos, and tips can be found here: https://snowcrows.com/). Power (Berserker) builds are easiest to get. Thus I would recommend you elementalist or engineer class, both highly appreciated and sought after. If you are support player, then druid or chronomancer are your best bets. People are lookin for them in pretty much every game content.

2. When you have your character equipped and ready, your solo options are to open or join raid training from LFG tool ingame, and start experiencing raids yourself. It might be frustrated and agonizing experience, because you will mostly be training with total noobs, but that part usually never lasts long. With self initiative, you will find your way fast. When I'm making squads, except for few bosses, I generally set limit to 75li (item you get on raid kill). If people come in with less, and explain that they know mechanics, but lack some li, I always take them in. And ofc kick them if I see that they are underperforming too much.

3. If you don't like going at it solo, you can try joining/creating constant group of players for regular clears. A lot of guilds also organize raid trainings, so be sure to join them, as they have them scheduled.

If you have more questions feel free to ask or msg me ingame. If you manage to meta equip your character, I'd be glad to get you some kills and kickstart your raid journey.

P.S. Easiest gold income are T4 daily fractals, but to be able to do them, you need ascended gear. Best way of obtaining ascended jewelry are living story 3 maps, so try to unlock ls3 for yourself. Untill then, I suggest you do regular dungeons. 8 different dungeons give you 5g + daily gold per clear and all the drops. (Ascalon catacombs for example have story, path1, path 2 and path3. All those counts as different run).

Define “newcomer”.

Just going in blindly? Yeah you will probably get your team killed and booted. That’s the stupid way to do it though.

See just because you’re a “newcomer” doesn’t mean that you’re going in blind. Personally I spent some time reading up on the bosses (Dulfy/Wiki) as well as watching YouTube videos on the fights themselves before actually going into raids for the first time and now I’m sporting full legendary armour on my main.

The thing about raid bosses is that they are, in essence, big puzzles to be solved. How to deal with their various mechanics. If you’ve played through the solo story you encounter a few bosses like that. As long as you know how to “solve” a boss in theory you’ve pretty much won half the battle already.

That is why as long as you’re being honest about being a newbie but that you know the mechanics most squads are willing to give you a chance. Of course some raid commanders are just dinguses who will kick you outright but you wouldn’t want to play with them anyway. They’re the kind of people who wants 500LI for Cairn, LOL!

For raids, I would say your best bet is to find a guild group. For instance, I've got a guild that does practice runs using an "anything goes" format with the express purpose of learning various boss mechanics or testing builds in an actual setting. (Golem testing is pretty bad IMO). Typically about half the group runs a comfortable DPS/Support (for a more guaranteed boss completion rate) while the others can run whatever they like to see how it fits in with a boss, mechanics, and a "group" as a whole.

The only real recommendation I would have is, if not running the "meta" builds, make sure you can work your build to the fullest. A first time running glint-ventari Herald isn't going to help anyone in raids if they can't use the build effectively, for example.

For just getting in and experiencing, I'd suggest setting up PuGs with the very clear expectation that it is for learning or testing, either by LFG (not recommended) or by tapping your guild resources I would lean more toward guild invitations as guildies tend to be a bit more understanding than PuGs are.

However, for a good idea of what to expect, watching fight mechanics and reading about them first before the wing can really help. Some fights are hard. Most fights you won't clear first time (or even a tenth time if new). But it's important to not be discouraged - practice and experience is much more valuable than being carried IMO.

Best of luck, and feel free to send any questions you might have! Always to help out if I can.

> @"Despond.2174" said:

> LFM/LFG are for experienced people--or sellers--wanting the optimal composition to get through this content the smoothest - and that's perfectly natural. If you're just starting, you have to accept you need to put in some work - unless you have a very nice guild/friends. First off with GW2 once you have the best gear for your build/prof you never have to worry again, and its' really easy to get full ascended with Living World 3 and just crafting the rest with gold--which you can earn 15-20g/hr comfortably doing many metas, best one atm is Great Hall+Palawan. So that's good news - unlike your other MMO where if you miss 1 tier of raiding your gear is nearly useless.

How does living world 3 help with getting ascended? Good meta events in those maps?

> @"Ferny.8250" said:

> > @"Despond.2174" said:

> > LFM/LFG are for experienced people--or sellers--wanting the optimal composition to get through this content the smoothest - and that's perfectly natural. If you're just starting, you have to accept you need to put in some work - unless you have a very nice guild/friends. First off with GW2 once you have the best gear for your build/prof you never have to worry again, and its' really easy to get full ascended with Living World 3 and just crafting the rest with gold--which you can earn 15-20g/hr comfortably doing many metas, best one atm is Great Hall+Palawan. So that's good news - unlike your other MMO where if you miss 1 tier of raiding your gear is nearly useless.

>

> How does living world 3 help with getting ascended? Good meta events in those maps?

>

>

There are vendors that sells them (hot and core stats only) for unbound magic and map curency

My comment is

If you are new to raids. Unless you are super pro player plus have contact to get into competent group.. Expect a long long journey before you will really enjoy it without frustrations. :) don't give up bcos imo raid is one of gw2 best content atm ..after fractal and LS.. Wvw being last to me.... :x

I've come back after a long hiatus and tried every day to get into a Raid group. Been booted from the group immediately almost every time.

Then the one time I was allowed in, the entire group just left me behind after I died and nobody came to help me.

It was altogether the crappiest most toxic experiences I've ever had in this game.

> @"Derenek.8931" said:

> I've come back after a long hiatus and tried every day to get into a Raid group. Been booted from the group immediately almost every time.

So you've been booted immediately after joining a group every time? Want more information about this. Most of the time people get kicked is because those people were doing something quite wrong. ( Like running more toughness than the tank or not using food )

> @"Derenek.8931" said:

> ...Then the one time I was allowed in, the entire group just left me behind after I died and nobody came to help me....

You can't be rezzed in a raid. When you die, you'll be dead until the boss is killed (or the event is completed).

To start raiding, imo the best advice is to join a guild that does training runs or one of the raid training discord groups.

> @"Thievil.1289" said:

> Greetings.

>

> First of all, I said newcomer because i've been playing this game for almost a month. Yeah i'm no pro, but i'm a long term MMORPG player, so i'm no stranger to raiding per se. Got burnt out by WoW recently and decided to try something new (and more casual). Was a core tank/healer on my guild, raiding every weekend, studying every new fight that comes along with a new raid, perfecting rotations, mechanics, group play and everything that comes along. But right now, I have a job and studies and can't afford two-three nights a week to raiding/gearing.

>

> That being said, I'm at lvl 80 with the two elite specs fully unlocked and am now starting on crafting ascended gear hoping to get to the next level: fractals and raiding.

> So, I check the LFG/LFM window from time to time just to feel it. What i've seen so far is: you either join the meta wars 2 (chrono/druid/flavor of the month dps) or join a guild that will take you no matter what you play. Or... you can start your own group.

>

> There are some problems right there:

>

> 1: I don't play the meta classes (I play Elem, so maybe weaver could fit the dps role).

> 2: I am actually in a guild that does raid training runs. But for that I would have to commit to the runs, logging on time every week to play. It is not the case, since i'm looking for a more casual style now.

> 3: I'm a newcomer. I know I should study mechanics before joining and all that, I did that stuff on wow for a long time. But I can't really make my own group as a newcomer thou. That is for when I'm more experienced with the content so I can actually lead a group. I'm tired of raid leaders in wow that just wanted to be carried, pugging only the top tier to speed them through the fights while dying to basic kitten. I'm not that guy.

>

>

> So... please shed some light for me. I know casual laid-back groups do exist, and maybe they fill within a couple seconds. But is it really that hard to find in this game? Or i'm stuck in that "need experience to get a job - need a job to get experience" loop?.

1) Ele is meta

2 and 3) You can look in LFG for training groups.

It's not that hard to get into Raids, as long as you're willing to put in the bare minimum effort of learning to get decent DPS out of your character (requires learning the rotations and getting the gear). The rest is availability and practice.

If you're on EU PM me here or ingame and i'll hook you up. My guild is fairly casual, but we do weekly raid runs/attempts.

> @"Derenek.8931" said:

> I've come back after a long hiatus and tried every day to get into a Raid group. Been booted from the group immediately almost every time.

> Then the one time I was allowed in, the entire group just left me behind after I died and nobody came to help me.

>

> It was altogether the crappiest most toxic experiences I've ever had in this game.

In raid ... When you are dead.. No one can res you . any team member die in raid stay dead until the whole team wipe.

> @"Thievil.1289" said:

> Greetings.

>

> First of all, I said newcomer because i've been playing this game for almost a month. Yeah i'm no pro, but i'm a long term MMORPG player, so i'm no stranger to raiding per se. Got burnt out by WoW recently and decided to try something new (and more casual). Was a core tank/healer on my guild, raiding every weekend, studying every new fight that comes along with a new raid, perfecting rotations, mechanics, group play and everything that comes along. But right now, I have a job and studies and can't afford two-three nights a week to raiding/gearing.

>

> That being said, I'm at lvl 80 with the two elite specs fully unlocked and am now starting on crafting ascended gear hoping to get to the next level: fractals and raiding.

> So, I check the LFG/LFM window from time to time just to feel it. What i've seen so far is: you either join the meta wars 2 (chrono/druid/flavor of the month dps) or join a guild that will take you no matter what you play. Or... you can start your own group.

>

> There are some problems right there:

>

> 1: I don't play the meta classes (I play Elem, so maybe weaver could fit the dps role).

> 2: I am actually in a guild that does raid training runs. But for that I would have to commit to the runs, logging on time every week to play. It is not the case, since i'm looking for a more casual style now.

> 3: I'm a newcomer. I know I should study mechanics before joining and all that, I did that stuff on wow for a long time. But I can't really make my own group as a newcomer thou. That is for when I'm more experienced with the content so I can actually lead a group. I'm tired of raid leaders in wow that just wanted to be carried, pugging only the top tier to speed them through the fights while dying to basic kitten. I'm not that guy.

>

>

> So... please shed some light for me. I know casual laid-back groups do exist, and maybe they fill within a couple seconds. But is it really that hard to find in this game? Or i'm stuck in that "need experience to get a job - need a job to get experience" loop?.

It's not too bad when you find a decent group. The population is a problem at the moment. Another problem is sometimes you have people leading training runs where nobody knows the mechanics and also you have players running the wrong stats, don't have dps rotations, don't do any dps, it's just not going to work, by the time people have learnt the mechanics, you have people leaving and more joining that don't know the mechanics.

Patience is key to raiding successfully, I led a group with no li requirement last night at about midnight. We were struggling at Sabetha for about an hour, some people left, others joined. Eventually we had a group where everyone stayed and we got the kill, everyone learnt how to use their initiative and how to respond when the strategy "didn't go right" we ended up killing her with no deaths and got "the eternal" title. Then we went and killed gorse in one run, then we killed KC, failed to CC twice then we killed him third run.

So far I have been in a couple of guilds for raids, I don't like to be rude, but both were leading totally unequipped and incapable players into raids. So eventually I left the guilds and now I just lead my own groups, I use a combination of the guides from snowcrows, various videos, tips in forums, written guides from dulfy and tips from players in game. I try to learn every class' role, what skills they can take for different situations, I learn the popular strategies and I can successfully lead quite most of W1-4's encounters. Only have deimos and xera left, which I haven't put enough research into or been in enough full training runs to feel like I'm not wasting peoples time commanding them.

I would advise against raiding if you are new. If you absolutly NEED to raid, join a raid training guild. You will skip the toxic elitism that way, and the discouragement that comes from it. Most ppl in a raid training guild are kind and helpful to newcomers, they can help you immensely with your rotations as well (which you should learn well at the training golem, or better yet, at high lv fractals). After you get your rotations down well, watch vids of bosses to know what mechanics you will encounter. Rotations are one thing, doing them in a boss environment is another. Happy looting!