'Bug in the System' Speculations

Yereton.8647

So! We finally got our trailer, and it looks pretty amazing. Aside from the puns and jibe at (grumpy) Braham, it is very clearly Inquest-centric. What little we see of the new map, seems to be another arid biome; so perhaps Kourna or Dajkah?

And the 'Fear not this Night' number definitely gave me goosebumps, so perhaps we can expect a very significant event (a death?) among our ragtag crew.

Lastly, Joko's portrait definitely signifies something. Maybe that he is still missing (or worse)? It reminds me of one those pictures one places on a grave of a loved one during their funeral.

I know I am hyped, and I can't wait for next week, but I would love to hear your thoughts and speculations.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 things interested me most: the ley line maps and using Fear Not This Night.

I assume we may find out something about the dragons and the current concentration of magic.

Fear not This Night is the song about the Sylvari. And if you completed the last chapter of Daybreak there are containments with most likely scarabs and they are named with a number and a signature and the one with an S was broken so perhaps when all Asura Inquest were dying and awakened by Joko, one of them was able to open one of the containments. And I think the Sylvari are (I made a topic in this forum) in a grave danger.

> @"Yereton.8647" said:

> So! We finally got our trailer, and it looks pretty amazing. Aside from the puns and jibe at (grumpy) Braham, it is very clearly Inquest-centric. What little we see of the new map, seems to be another arid biome; so perhaps Kourna or Dajkah?

>

> And the 'Fear not this Night' number definitely gave me goosebumps, so perhaps we can expect a very significant event (a death?) among our ragtag crew.

>

> Lastly, Joko's portrait definitely signifies something. Maybe that he is still missing (or worse)? It reminds me of one those pictures one places on a grave of a loved one during their funeral.

> I know I am hyped, and I can't wait for next week, but I would love to hear your thoughts and speculations.

Joko's portrait also moves, very minorly, just before the shot ends. And I'm left wondering what the heck that is. Could be that the portrait itself has no relevance whatsoever to the story but is there just as foreshadowing for the trailer, but that and happening with the new song version definitely wigged me out for a second.

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> 2 things interested me most: the ley line maps and using Fear Not This Night.

> I assume we may find out something about the dragons and the current concentration of magic.

> Fear not This Night is the song about the Sylvari. And if you completed the last chapter of Daybreak there are containments with most likely scarabs and they are named with a number and a signature and the one with an S was broken so perhaps when all Asura Inquest were dying and awakened by Joko, one of them was able to open one of the containments. And I think the Sylvari are (I made a topic in this forum) in a grave danger.

>

Alternatively, unless I am mistaken, this song is only played during the end of Victory or Death. So it is very possible that the Inquest could have been experimenting on Risen, or even on Zhaitan's corpse (we never did find out what happened to that, aside from the tail). I think it is very possible that the Inquest are working in parallel to us to produce a new battery for wayward magic.

> @"Yereton.8647" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > 2 things interested me most: the ley line maps and using Fear Not This Night.

> > I assume we may find out something about the dragons and the current concentration of magic.

> > Fear not This Night is the song about the Sylvari. And if you completed the last chapter of Daybreak there are containments with most likely scarabs and they are named with a number and a signature and the one with an S was broken so perhaps when all Asura Inquest were dying and awakened by Joko, one of them was able to open one of the containments. And I think the Sylvari are (I made a topic in this forum) in a grave danger.

> >

>

> Alternatively, unless I am mistaken, this song is only played during the end of Victory or Death. So it is very possible that the Inquest could have been experimenting on Risen, or even on Zhaitan's corpse (we never did find out what happened to that, aside from the tail). I think it is very possible that the Inquest are working in parallel to us to produce a new battery for wayward magic.

Fear Not This Night also plays when you are cleaning Orr with Trahearne- The Source of Orr, also in Hearts and Minds when you take Caladbolg to Trahearne and kill him with it.

Also if you read the note in wiki about this song, it says that the song is sang by the Pale Tree.

> @"Yereton.8647" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > 2 things interested me most: the ley line maps and using Fear Not This Night.

> > I assume we may find out something about the dragons and the current concentration of magic.

> > Fear not This Night is the song about the Sylvari. And if you completed the last chapter of Daybreak there are containments with most likely scarabs and they are named with a number and a signature and the one with an S was broken so perhaps when all Asura Inquest were dying and awakened by Joko, one of them was able to open one of the containments. And I think the Sylvari are (I made a topic in this forum) in a grave danger.

> >

>

> Alternatively, unless I am mistaken, this song is only played during the end of Victory or Death. So it is very possible that the Inquest could have been experimenting on Risen, or even on Zhaitan's corpse (we never did find out what happened to that, aside from the tail). I think it is very possible that the Inquest are working in parallel to us to produce a new battery for wayward magic.

(There is something wrong with my mobile or forums I can't edit my posts)

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fear_Not_This_Night

It even says that this is the Sylvari's anthem.

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> > @"Yereton.8647" said:

> > > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > > 2 things interested me most: the ley line maps and using Fear Not This Night.

> > > I assume we may find out something about the dragons and the current concentration of magic.

> > > Fear not This Night is the song about the Sylvari. And if you completed the last chapter of Daybreak there are containments with most likely scarabs and they are named with a number and a signature and the one with an S was broken so perhaps when all Asura Inquest were dying and awakened by Joko, one of them was able to open one of the containments. And I think the Sylvari are (I made a topic in this forum) in a grave danger.

> > >

> >

> > Alternatively, unless I am mistaken, this song is only played during the end of Victory or Death. So it is very possible that the Inquest could have been experimenting on Risen, or even on Zhaitan's corpse (we never did find out what happened to that, aside from the tail). I think it is very possible that the Inquest are working in parallel to us to produce a new battery for wayward magic.

>

>

> (There is something wrong with my mobile or forums I can't edit my posts)

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fear_Not_This_Night

>

> It even says that this is the Sylvari's anthem.

I am not disputing your claim that is sang by the Pale Tree or all of that. But you will also notice, the instrumental version is played in all other instances, while the full song is played only in Victory or Death. Hence my connection to the Risen.

But it was a baseless speculation on my part. We will see in about a week how the song ties in with the rest of episode. :)

I am speculating that the whole episode is a revelation about the scarab plague development - it will be completed and we will be faced with Joko who just recreated the weapon that ended the Primeval Dynasty. I also suspect the original scarab plague was of his origins. I hope we get more lore on Joko's nature and history.

Also, Marjory is my fav of the Dragon's Watch. Getting a little sad that she's out of the picture and tbh kinda fear for her life since she was a candidate for death during Scarlet arc.

Things to note:

1. "Lab Alpha 1.9" is the location.

2. Inquest are still active, in parts of it - it seems that part of the facility has been overrun though as shown in later parts of the trailer. Does this mean an Inquest/Awakened alliance has been formed, or that Joko has been very subtle about his invasion unlike in Fahranur?

3. Shot 0:12 - ley line maps it seems, so Inquest here are studying the ley lines in distant lands. The leftmost one also denotes a map with 4 hubs. One of them has 6 lines going to the point - very similar to Scarlet's [own map of LA's ley lines](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Drill_and_Leyline_Diagram.jpg). That could create a placement for the map. Presumably, the one due west by southwest would be Thaumanova (another known hub), and the two further west would be Tarir and Mordremoth. This, interestingly, places 3 new hubs - one due south of LA (Chantry of Secrets?), one south by southeast of that (Mount Maelstrom/Crucible of Eternity?), and one south of that (Scavenger's Causeway)? Unless my scaling is off.

4. Shot 0:21 - different powders, including red and black, and a purple crystal. More dragon experiments?

5. Shot 0:25 - tons of containment mods, and new golem models (reskins of the golem toy). But not far from (more) ley line monitors are multiple diagrams of destroyers.

6. More Kito. He's getting more screentime than Ibli and Tizlak. The frogs should be green with jealousy at this, I'm sure.

7. New map has water, Istani-like vegetation, ogre structures,

8. Rytlock and Canach curiously MIA here.

9. Shot 1:00 "Message from the Administration. Rumors have been spreading of voices on the intercom. -cuts out-" This would imply for point 2, that there is no alliance, but that Joko has been utilizing the Inquest Lab while keeping the Inquest largely unknowing about it, and our actions will bring it to light. This plays as a new level of intrigue unlike we got with Caudecus. Makes me look forward to the situation a bit.

10. Shot 1:07 Ley lines *everywhere*. Goes with the ley line maps. But most curiously: *some ley lines are flowing into containment chambers.* This implies that the Inquest or Joko have been experimenting with exposing individuals with excess amounts of magic. We could be looking at bounty mechanics becoming part of story NPCs.

11. Shot 1:23 - charr corpse. Worrying more if brought about by Joko rather than Inquest, and the placement in the trailer suggests the former.

12. Shot 1:36 - moving portrait of Joko. Revealed surveillance system spread across Elona (magical portraits that actually do have eyes which follow you), or special boss for episode?

Expanding on point 7, all points lead to a northern coastal area. Given the presence of ogre structures, this has to be close enough to the Blazeridge Mountains / Crystal Desert for the ogres to migrate so far. This would place it no further south than Dajkah. With the giant asura facility, the cube in the water is looking very much like the destination (and it would explain why Taimi couldn't find it, given that it's literally a few miles off the coast).

I want to note that on point 10, this could go multiple ways. Joko could be looking to utilize the excess magic as a way to a) bolster his troops, b) spread madness amongst enemies, or c) if the scarab plague redux theory proves true, we may be looking at a magically super-enhanced scarab swarm and plague.

> @"Yereton.8647" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> >

>

The song in full is only played with lyrics at the end of The Source of Orr. Not after killing Zhaitan. However, the melody is played in the Grove elevators and when killing Trahearne after Mordremoth's death. A few other times too, I think. All surrounding the sylvari and/or conflict with Zhaitan.

> @"Yereton.8647" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > (There is something wrong with my mobile or forums I can't edit my posts)

> >

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fear_Not_This_Night

> >

> > It even says that this is the Sylvari's anthem.

> I am not disputing your claim that is sang by the Pale Tree or all of that. But you will also notice, the instrumental version is played in all other instances, while the full song is played only in Victory or Death. Hence my connection to the Risen.

>

> But it was a baseless speculation on my part. We will see in about a week how the song ties in with the rest of episode. :)

The lyrics are about conflict with the risen, specifically but ambiguously, (and The Source of Orr, not Victory or Death, I'll note again just for clarity), however the melody is used only around sylvari.

> @"Sublimatio.6981" said:

> I am speculating that the whole episode is a revelation about the scarab plague development - it will be completed and we will be faced with Joko who just recreated the weapon that ended the Primeval Dynasty. I also suspect the original scarab plague was of his origins. I hope we get more lore on Joko's nature and history.

>

> Also, Marjory is my fav of the Dragon's Watch. Getting a little sad that she's out of the picture and tbh kinda fear for her life since she was a candidate for death during Scarlet arc.

We already know that the Scarab Plague came from the Apocrypha and Abaddon's influence.

Plus it happened 600 years before Joko first made history. Joko is not an individual who would be silent for so long.

As for Marjory - her and Kasmeer's disappearance seems to me to be a clear line of ArenaNet doing what they did to Braham, Rox, and Marjory during PoF. They've realized with HoT that they cannot give the full team the limelight they deserve, so they put portions of the team on the bus at times. I don't think Marjory's life is on the line - they kept her alive in part due to cliche but also in part due to the fan's love of the character. Which would mark Braham as most likely to go if anyone does.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Where did we find out the Scarab Plague came from the Apocrypha/Abaddon's influence? Was that mentioned in GW1? Or was I not paying enough attention in Ep1?

Clarification: It's heavily implied (read: indirectly stated).

In GW1, we learn that the scarab plague originated from the food, and separately we learn that the food storage got flooded over the centuries. The Apocrypha's room is the only flooded room in Fahranur in GW1.

I guess the Cuddles and Canach will look after Taimi. Also we can hear Taimi talking through the communicator so she is resting.

Now all I want is to bring back Zojja and make a contact with her.

Taimi didn't know where the Lab is but we can see that we, Rox and Braham enter into it. The only person I know and I found this out during my journey through Asura Personal Story that knows a lot of Inquest and has been dealing with them for a very long time is Zojja.

So maybe Zojja knows the location.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

>The lyrics are about conflict with the risen, specifically but ambiguously, (and The Source of Orr, not Victory or Death, I'll note again just for clarity), however the melody is used only around sylvari.

I agree about the connection to the sylvari. Once more, I am not disputing that. I thought the secondary connection to the Risen was interesting, because as you noted there are still dragon experiments going on.

On a different note, I insist it is Victory or Death, where Fear Not This Night is played with lyrics . The Source of Orr only had the instrumental. I know because I redid the end of the Personal Story merely two days ago. Furthermore, the [wiki ](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fear_Not_This_Night "wiki ")corroborates this:

> Fear Not This Night" is a song that can be heard at certain points of the Guild Wars 2 Story, including the end credits that appear at the end of the last instance of Victory or Death.

And:

>Instrumental variants of the song play, among other things, in the Omphalos Chamber in The Grove and during a pivotal moment in The Source of Orr mission.

Fear Not This Night is, as far as I know, supposed to be sang by the Pale Tree to newly awakened sylvari. I already posted my thoughts on this on Reddit, but I believe this new version of the song (with the new line "Who needs the light?") is supposed to be a nod towards how we saw Joko twisting the truth in PoF. While the original song was sung by the Pale Tree to her sylvari, I feel like this twisted version is sung by Joko to his Awakened.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Where did we find out the Scarab Plague came from the Apocrypha/Abaddon's influence? Was that mentioned in GW1? Or was I not paying enough attention in Ep1?

>

> Clarification: It's heavily implied (read: indirectly stated).

>

> In GW1, we learn that the scarab plague originated from the food, and separately we learn that the food storage got flooded over the centuries. The Apocrypha's room is the only flooded room in Fahranur in GW1.

thats hardly "heavily implied" - it's a wild guess. that being said, where do we learn all these facts you listed?

+ "the food storage got flooded over the centuries" - how does this relate to the plague? people were living in fahranur so they would be aware that their food is being flooded over the centuries.

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> reddish leylines are not a thing different from blue leylines? some balthazar wild-magic as igredient? I remember only Bloodstone fen and zones in the ring of fire had this tone.

The gold-red ley lines we have seen in Salvation pass, Bloodstone Fen's explosion epicenter, around the ley line coalesce events, and in Ember Bay's largest volcano.

Nothing has really indicated that they're different from the blue ley lines, except that we cannot glide on them.

> @"Sublimatio.6981" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > Where did we find out the Scarab Plague came from the Apocrypha/Abaddon's influence? Was that mentioned in GW1? Or was I not paying enough attention in Ep1?

> >

> > Clarification: It's heavily implied (read: indirectly stated).

> >

> > In GW1, we learn that the scarab plague originated from the food, and separately we learn that the food storage got flooded over the centuries. The Apocrypha's room is the only flooded room in Fahranur in GW1.

>

> thats hardly "heavily implied" - it's a wild guess. that being said, where do we learn all these facts you listed?

> + "the food storage got flooded over the centuries" - how does this relate to the plague? people were living in fahranur so they would be aware that their food is being flooded over the centuries.

It's far from a wild guess. Thinking that Jennah is Lyssa - *that* is a wild guess.

"The plague originated from the food" - [a confirmed fact](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/A_Mysterious_Missive) - plus "the food storage was right next to the Apocrypha" - [a fact that lies in "true until told otherwise" area, like anything from interviews and forum posts](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Flooded_Rianur) - plus "some scholars speculated ancient malevolent magic created the plague" - a statement from the manual.

The flooding has nothing to do with the plague. What is found in the location of the flooding, however, does. Also, the flooding happened *after the Scarab Plague* - that is, "for centuries **before we find the Apocrypha in Nightfall**". You're obviously either twisting or misunderstanding my comment for the sake of your own theory, because nowhere did I say that the food itself was flooded while the Primeval Dynasty was thriving, nor does anything in my statement suggest that when I say that it was flooded **in GW1** - which, by the way, takes place over 600 years after the Scarab Plague began.

So that is indeed heavy implication.

Or is it pure, unrelated, coincidence that food that became the source for the Scarab Plague was sitting right next to the Apocrypha?

Because that feels more like wild speculation to me. As does the belief that Joko is somehow involved, despite there being a 300 year gap between the Scarab Plague's beginning, and an egotistical megalomaniac making credible mention in history.

> @"Underdark.3726" said:

> The scenes in the trailer look like Desert Highlands. The new map could be east of there towards Mount Maelstrom where the inquest have already lots of labs.

East is not towards Mount Maelstrom though? West of it is going towards Maelstrom and the zone directly east is all snow.

Fairly certain it's the Isle above Ishtan. Would be interesting to see more clips of the map but I suppose they want to leave it as a surprise.

I think my main gripe with the trailer is the fact that it's 70% inside the Inquest base leaving much to question about the rest of the zone. I'm assuming the meta of this map may occur in the base, but it could also be that the Inquest base is just story instance.

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> I think my main gripe with the trailer is the fact that it's 70% inside the Inquest base leaving much to question about the rest of the zone.

I actually don't mind so much. Being surprised by the new zones is one of the things I enjoy most about the patches, especially as the new storytelling model makes glimpses of the zone often enough to pin down the general gist of the plot- and by the time the trailer comes out, it's only a week to wait, which isn't unreasonable. I'm a bit bummed that this one was pinned down so far in advance, if indeed we are looking at Dajkah.

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> > @"Underdark.3726" said:

> > The scenes in the trailer look like Desert Highlands. The new map could be east of there towards Mount Maelstrom where the inquest have already lots of labs.

>

> East is not towards Mount Maelstrom though? West of it is going towards Maelstrom and the zone directly east is all snow.

>

> Fairly certain it's the Isle above Ishtan. Would be interesting to see more clips of the map but I suppose they want to leave it as a surprise.

>

> I think my main gripe with the trailer is the fact that it's 70% inside the Inquest base leaving much to question about the rest of the zone. I'm assuming the meta of this map may occur in the base, but it could also be that the Inquest base is just story instance.

>

>

>

I ment west and wrote east lol