I Want To Stand In All The Damage

I want a PvE only profession who wont run

from little circles on the ground.

A fighter clad in in heavy plate

and though they'll never win a damage race

They'll slowly grind the bosses down.

Glass cannons are fine. Lighting bruisers are nice.

It's well and good to break from the holy trinity.

But it's just as stifling

to would-be mighty glaciers

when heavy defense spec'd fighters are not a viable affinity.

:3

Just play spellbreaker. You can do all that.

Ignore all the circles...check

Ignore the 20 guys beating on you...check.

Wear heavy armor...check.

Still wear mostly (or all) dps stat armor, hit like a truck AND do all the above...check.

Don't feel like fighting the mobs around you anymore...just run away, cause you have excellent mobility.

This game, for some crazy reason, allows you to get all the tank benefits while maintaining 100% (or nearly that) dps.

It's not possible to make a character who can simply stand in damage and survive everything - the game is designed to require active defenses and that means moving out of red circles. But you can certainly build a very tanky character who can absorb a lot of damage. The problem is they won't be able to deal as much damage so fights will last longer (and expose you to more damage).

If you specifically want a heavy armoured profession I'd recommend guardian because they have more self-heals (including passive heals, which allows you to concentrate on other things), although you could always play a different profession and then use an outfit for the heavy armour appearance. And of course you'll want equipment which gives both toughness and vitality, like soldier's, or maybe even a fully defensive set like nomad's (toughness, vitality, healing power).

Also, it's a bit off-topic but did anyone else read the OP's post as if it was a poem? The strange line breaks made it look like one, and then I couldn't help reading it that way.

SB is not all that good in PvE, you still can't just ignore all the AoE and you have to be rather good to time your abilities right. The closest I've got to this platonic ideal of tankiness is my core Guardian wearing a mix of mostly Wanderer's and some Harrier's (I was going for 100% boon duration) with Durability runes. I can solo some (but not all) PvE champs with that one.

> @"Paragonkid.4602" said:

> I want a PvE only profession who wont run

> from little circles on the ground.

> A fighter clad in in heavy plate

> and though they'll never win a damage race

> They'll slowly grind the bosses down.

>

> Glass cannons are fine. Lighting bruisers are nice.

> It's well and good to break from the holy trinity.

> But it's just as stifling

> to would-be mighty glaciers

> when heavy defense spec'd fighters are not a viable affinity.

> :3

Tanking is primarily about threat management. There's no reason you can't develop a build that can at least somewhat "stand in the fire". You just can't tank because you have no way to force enemies to attack you instead of other players.

This video is becoming my standard for tankiness, but watch this Celestial dagger/dagger Tempest stand in the mushroom queen's puddles to finish overloads. If you wanted to, a warrior or guardian could easily play tanky like that and then some, I'd imagine!

> @"Rubberduckgillespie.9854" said:

>

> > Also, it's a bit off-topic but did anyone else read the OP's post as if it was a poem? The strange line breaks made it look like one, and then I couldn't help reading it that way.

>

> Holy crap, I just re-read it that way and it totally works! Makes me wonder if it was intended.

>

I thought it was obvious that it was a poem. XD

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > @"Rubberduckgillespie.9854" said:

> >

> > > Also, it's a bit off-topic but did anyone else read the OP's post as if it was a poem? The strange line breaks made it look like one, and then I couldn't help reading it that way.

> >

> > Holy crap, I just re-read it that way and it totally works! Makes me wonder if it was intended.

> >

>

> I thought it was obvious that it was a poem. XD

I did read it more like a rap a-capella solo. Still a poem, though.

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAS7enkICVDhtDBOCB8DhD+hKXhZ4PcL3+cEwBwMUEA-jxxGQB0T9HypbQBPBgNs/AAuIATUJIBV+BA-e

>

> A Guardian build for those with the inclination to rub their face against a cheese grater. Disclaimer: Not a serious attempt at an effective build.

I'd still use Indomitable Courage, it's just too good, though I can agree with the rest for a tanky build :) I'd probably be bored to tears myself playing that though.

I have a core Guardian with all toughness and vitality. He does crap damage but can stand in just about anything. I don't have to move a whole lot when playing him. It takes so long to kill anything though that most of the time someone comes along and does all the killing for me. So I'm a true 'tank'. It's amusing but wears thin quick.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > @"Rubberduckgillespie.9854" said:

> >

> > > Also, it's a bit off-topic but did anyone else read the OP's post as if it was a poem? The strange line breaks made it look like one, and then I couldn't help reading it that way.

> >

> > Holy crap, I just re-read it that way and it totally works! Makes me wonder if it was intended.

> >

>

> I thought it was obvious that it was a poem. XD

lol It's obviously a poem. The only question is whether he also means it.

Heavy defense spec fighters are a viable option. Not optimal, but certainly viiable.

That said, if you want the ability to ignore incoming damage by putting on heavy armor...sure, so long as it comes with a debuff that reduces outgoing damage, and threat, to zero as well.