PoF has made Gw2 Cash Shop centered

I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems. Really feels like they got lazy and greedy with this xpac and the slippery slope is right here. The whole mount skin rng that happened didn't help and the fact they said they were gonna dial it back only to release more every week makes it worse.

It really does feel like the gw2 spirit from classic and even HoT is gone. This cash shop is looking exactly like any cash shop from the sadsack f2p mmos out there. They release skins but never bother to gate ghem behind achievements or actual gameplay, instead they ask "how much did you spend making this new armor/weapon/mount? Oh more than 10mins? Better put it in the cash shop then"

Feels like the sims online with a f2p on top. The stuff available from a tually playing the game is almost 90% from vanilla. I dislike this recent approach and am worried about the future of this mmo and so should you...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Vivi.2805" said:

> I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems.

That's because cosmetic skins have always been in Gem Store. The reason it's "hard to remember" is because it has never been different.

Edit; there are a tonne of non-gem skins

I'd love to have some ingame skins for mounts or gliders, but that won't happen I guess...

However, seeing that PoF released at least 4 sets of armor and about 7 sets of weapons along with single items with unique skins or things like the dwarven weapons, all locked behind gameplay, it's hard to say PoF gave us nothing besides the gemshop stuff...

ANet released skins available from play when they released PoF. They did the same with HoT. They did the same with the base game. They also occasionally release a backpack or something else gained via either festival content or a Living episode -- though I have not played either LS4 episode to know whether they've done that *yet* this time around.

As far as ANet's promises re mount skins arising out of the negative feedback over the mount licenses, what was said was (approximate quote), "We will not add skins to this mount license, and upcoming planned releases will either be single skins or bundles." That is what has happened.

Dislike the cash shop all you like, but please get your facts straight.

> @"Vivi.2805" said:

> I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems.

On the contrary. HoT had much greater issues with this because of the very big lack of in-game skins that were added with the expansion. PoF has a greatly improved on this (Elonian skins, spearmarshal's, warbeast, awakended and so on). There are loads of achievements with cosmetic rewards. And what about the stellar and astral weapons with the previous episode? All the armor pieces from the LS metas achievements? If you think with HoT and at launch the game had more variety on the matter then we were not playing the same game.

PoF has also a much better pricing scheme compared to HoT. Besides the RNG bs with the mounts, everything in the shop is still cosmetic and achievable with in-game gold in a quite reasonable fashion. I am sure not where you see the similarities with other f2p games on that matter. Also i am not sure when in the game's lifetime the shop operated differently than now (again excluding the license bs).

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> However, seeing that PoF released at least 4 sets of armor and about 7 sets of weapons along with single items with unique skins or things like the dwarven weapons, all locked behind gameplay, it's hard to say PoF gave us nothing besides the gemshop stuff...

This. Plus, the content that was added less than a week ago introduced four different backpack skins, a shoulder skin, and a 32 slot bag (which you don't have to actually spend any gold on).

> @"Vivi.2805" said:

The last time was on Tuesday. :)

The latest Living World episode added at the very least the Olmakhan Beacon (torch skin) which is a drop, I believe) and Olmakhan Mantle. Maybe more, I've not checked.

Before that Wintersday added new skins and other pieces of content including completing the Wrapped weapon skins collection.

Before that LW Season 4 Episode 1, Daybreak, added a couple of full sets of weapon skins to the game (they were similar with one base, exotic one and one ascended one with added effects). And other skins including scythes.

Before that halloween added three armour sets (based on existing ones) and a load of new weapon skins.

Before that it was with PoF itself, where they added several full sets of weapons and armour skins to the game.

> @"Vivi.2805" said:

Seems like you have a short memory. PoF released a huge number of skins, some available only via achievements, some via collections, some via random drops (although much faster via the TP). LS4.1/Istan offers the Astral & Stellar weapon sets, among other skins (including minis). The latest map also includes several new skins.

The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.

Actually PoF has been one of the more generous expansions in terms of cosmetics. There's several different weapon and armor sets coming out with PoF and LW4 episodes, that in additon to several minis and unique weapons.

If anything, what's lacking is cosmetic **MOUNTS**. By this time in HoT you already had the Ascension and Ad Infnitum Legendary backs that offered a Glider skin (which to this day are still some of the best glider skins in the game)., later in the game they also added the WvW legendary back which also has its own glider.

Idk how that could be translated to mounts, but it would be nice if they did! Maybe a Legendary Necklace that has a complementary saddle/Reins and unlocks a unique set of mounts? That would be cool!

> @"Vivi.2805" said:

> I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems. Really feels like they got lazy and greedy with this xpac and the slippery slope is right here. The whole mount skin rng that happened didn't help and the fact they said they were gonna dial it back only to release more every week makes it worse.

>

> It really does feel like the gw2 spirit from classic and even HoT is gone. This cash shop is looking exactly like any cash shop from the sadsack f2p mmos out there. They release skins but never bother to gate ghem behind achievements or actual gameplay, instead they ask "how much did you spend making this new armor/weapon/mount? Oh more than 10mins? Better put it in the cash shop then"

>

> Feels like the sims online with a f2p on top. The stuff available from a tually playing the game is almost 90% from vanilla. I dislike this recent approach and am worried about the future of this mmo and so should you...

Except like the Bounty Hunter, Elonian, Spearmarshall, and Warbeast armor sets? Or the armor/weapon skins from maxing your elite specs and doing the related collections? Or the Funerary Weapon set and all the weapon/armor skins in Hall of Chains? Or the LW Astral Weapons and Olmakhan shoulder skins, right?

This is way more than came out with HoT in this amount of time. :expressionless:

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.

No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

> @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > @"Vivi.2805" said:

> > I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems.

>

> That's because cosmetic skins have always been in Gem Store. The reason it's "hard to remember" is because it has never been different.

> Edit; there are a tonne of non-gem skins

>

And it got out of hand. A game where fashion is the endgame progression it feels wrong to lock almost all the good stuff behind gemstore. Even legendary armor looks like a joke compared to gemstore

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > However, seeing that PoF released at least 4 sets of armor and about 7 sets of weapons along with single items with unique skins or things like the dwarven weapons, all locked behind gameplay, it's hard to say PoF gave us nothing besides the gemshop stuff...

>

> This. Plus, the content that was added less than a week ago introduced four different backpack skins, a shoulder skin, and a 32 slot bag (which you don't have to actually spend any gold on).

The backpack skins is actually is just one skin with 3 precursors and the shoulder skin is not exactly pretty anyway. The 32 slot bag also has too many restrictions to be worth it.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> > > @"Vivi.2805" said:

> > > I have a hard time remembering when was the last time they released some skins or content that was available from playing the game rather than spending X amount of gems.

> >

> > That's because cosmetic skins have always been in Gem Store. The reason it's "hard to remember" is because it has never been different.

> > Edit; there are a tonne of non-gem skins

> >

> And it got out of hand. A game where fashion is the endgame progression it feels wrong to lock almost all the good stuff behind gemstore. Even legendary armor looks like a joke compared to gemstore

That's, like, your opinion, man.

But, well, what would the options be?

1. No gem store at all: Yeah, that'll work out great for content development and expansion prices.

2. Only having shitty looking costumes in the cash shop and far superior free versions: That'll be a fantastic business model, only selling things nobody wants to buy.

3. Maybe they should sell power in the cash shop instead, would you prefer that? Full legendary sets for obscene cash prices, some damage/defence boosts(that also work in PvP and WvW). How about entire class upgrades only available for gems? Maybe a 3rd weapon set and 2nd elite trait line?

4. How about content locked behind a massive paywall? LS doesn't have to be free/200 gems, it can be mandatory 2k gems per chapter.

I guess all that is better than having cosmetics for gems, huh.

> it feels wrong to lock almost all the good stuff behind gemstore.

> the shoulder skin is not exactly pretty anyway.

Your opinion that everything in the Gem Store is more attractive than anything in game is purely subjective. Cosmetics bought with gems should be regarded as alternatives, not better or worse because their universal appeal is not quantifiable.

Also, it's hardly "locked" when you have a _Gold to Gem_ exchange.

> They are objectively better because they got higher quality textures, more polygons, more dye slots, more effects etc and less clipping.

>

> And earning gold to convert to gem is not the same feeling as getting that skin via a long collection, a recipe or a rare drop from some boss

I agree with you on this. Gem store skins are objectively better. They have more effort put into them. Damn, look at Arcane rifle. Add aura, footspets and unique projectiles and it's a legendary. Much better than titanic one.

I don't have a gripe with there being so many gemstore items, but I do have a problem with the black lion ~~waste of~~ skins that sit there in the vault when they should have been huge intricate achievements instead. There are so many insanely cool skins like Timekeeper that are just wasted by sitting there. If I'm going to buy gems anyway I'm going for the gemstore skins, not accumulate black lion scraps so then I can finally buy some weapon.

They have also actually fixed the skin problem somewhat, you probably just didn't look enough and their marketing is also kitten. There are many nice armor sets released under PoF such as Warbeast, that require navigating through the maps and collecting materials and recipes. The problem here is that they don't communicate you can play to get things as much as they communicate that you can pay to get things (both "free" and gemstore skins should be "advertised" in a way, like having NPCs wear the Warbeast set in a place players will necessarily see them, for example).

It's also sad that they have the tech to make everything obtainable through collections and yet so many weapons are locked behind the mystic forge RNG, mystic forge "crafting", or just plain RNG from boss drops. From cheap things like the Cobalt exotic greatsword to the invisible shoes, they have A LOT of skins that simply never see the light of day, because people with enough gold to acquire from TP are not really "wearing" stuff anymore and everyone else can never get the drops during their daily activities. If it happened to only a couple items sure, let's have some prestige, but there are many many sets including black lion which are unobtainable to people who would actually wear them.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.

> No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

You are correct. There is a dual unlock system for Living World releases.

+ Anyone who logs in during the 2-3 month release window for an episode triggers the first unlock.

+ The second unlock is owning the current XPac.

Ill was only partially correct, because s/he did not include the second unlock condition.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.

> > No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

>

> You are correct. There is a dual unlock system for Living World releases.

>

> + Anyone who logs in during the 2-3 month release window for an episode triggers the first unlock.

> + The second unlock is owning the current XPac.

>

> Ill was only partially correct, because s/he did not include the second unlock condition.

Just a thought, but maybe it wasn't an omission? How exactly does one plan to play expansion/expansion based content if one doesn't own the expansion? I'd have loved being able to get my raptor w/out buying PoF, but it's not an option. Should I expect to get it just because I logged in? Reading the reply you quoted to respond to, that is exactly what they asked, if they could play PoF w/out buying it.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > They are objectively better because they got higher quality textures, more polygons, more dye slots, more effects etc and less clipping.

> >

> > And earning gold to convert to gem is not the same feeling as getting that skin via a long collection, a recipe or a rare drop from some boss

>

> I agree with you on this. Gem store skins are objectively better. They have more effort put into them. kitten, look at Arcane rifle. Add aura, footspets and unique projectiles and it's a legendary. Much better than titanic one.

I dunno. How many armor sets were released in the gem store? :S Last I saw it was singles (weapons or shoulders/gloves...) or outfits.

> @"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > They are objectively better because they got higher quality textures, more polygons, more dye slots, more effects etc and less clipping.

> > >

> > > And earning gold to convert to gem is not the same feeling as getting that skin via a long collection, a recipe or a rare drop from some boss

> >

> > I agree with you on this. Gem store skins are objectively better. They have more effort put into them. kitten, look at Arcane rifle. Add aura, footspets and unique projectiles and it's a legendary. Much better than titanic one.

>

> I dunno. How many armor sets were released in the gem store? :S Last I saw it was singles (weapons or shoulders/gloves...) or outfits.

That's because armor technology is opposite to efficient at Anet. And it's not sarcasm, they said that creating armor set takes them few months. That's why they invented outfits and sell them instead - it's about maximizing profits. If they could create armors as fast as outfits, we would see them instead.