PoF has made Gw2 Cash Shop centered

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Crossaber.8934" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/4uVQ8Ow.jpg "")

> > > >

> > > > I don't know, the mounts for example come with a totally theme-fitting skin. It's not that a window pops up and says: "Okay, you have a mount, now buy a skin in the cash shop to finalize customization". You literally need anything from the cash shop. There are many great ingame alternatives. I love my Noble Count Outfit but the Noble set is also working fine. My regular set is just the sneakthief one. The gliders are mostly just strange and you don't glide all the time, I have yet to find a skin on the gemstore for my glider that does not look at least weird.

> > > >

> > > > The mounts are all beautifully designed by default. Except for two things (the outfit and the aviator shades) I would be fine without any cash shop purchases so far. Also, it is, in my opinion, totally irrelevant to me if anyone wears cash shop or rides a mount or is faster at salvaging. Unlike in other games, like one from Squeenix, glamour is not as important in GW2. You don't need to keep up with every new item added, or skins, or whatnot. I know, envy can arise when it's actually in the game, but in the end, aNet offers enough nice things for free. But the grass is usually greener on the other side of the fence, aight? The cash shop and the non-cash shop fence in that matter..

> > > >

> > > > Excelsior.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > The standard mount skins are limited to 1 dye slot for no good reason. While even the 400 gem reskins have 4 slots

> >

> > Dye channel do not make a character run faster, hit harder, more tanky etc.

> >

> > Yes, by default the free mounts are limited on cosmetic side, there is no argue about it. But is the limited dye panel also reduced your play-ability compare to the ones that bought mount skin? Definitely not, right?

> >

> > I personally think the default mount are beautiful, besides limited customization, they are as good looking as some of the paid ones, and i am perfectly fine to pay Anet to support their good works and long term development.

>

> but it clearly shows that gemshop stuff is objectively and in quantificable ways better than ingame rewards. Whats the point to play most content more than once if gemshop stuff is superior and not an alternative/sidegrade

>

> it does not matter if it makes you better in combat or not, since the endgame of this game was supposed to be fashion and not an item spiral. but all the fashion improvements come from gemstore

Be glad we can convert gold to gem, i can name 10+ games out there give players 0 cosmetic option unless they buy cash store currency with a credit card.

If we are playing a console game without online gameplay capacity, the game can be created to be buy to play without additional cost forever. But any online game got years of server maintenance cost, and the employees payment, who is gonna pay the bill?

Be thankful there are players that willing to buy gem with credit card, they are paying the bill for the ones only convert gold to gem. Especially those gemstore items are cosmetic instead of game breaking buff.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> > > > @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > > > ![](https://i.imgur.com/4uVQ8Ow.jpg "")

> > > >

> > > > I don't know, the mounts for example come with a totally theme-fitting skin. It's not that a window pops up and says: "Okay, you have a mount, now buy a skin in the cash shop to finalize customization". You literally need anything from the cash shop. There are many great ingame alternatives. I love my Noble Count Outfit but the Noble set is also working fine. My regular set is just the sneakthief one. The gliders are mostly just strange and you don't glide all the time, I have yet to find a skin on the gemstore for my glider that does not look at least weird.

> > > >

> > > > The mounts are all beautifully designed by default. Except for two things (the outfit and the aviator shades) I would be fine without any cash shop purchases so far. Also, it is, in my opinion, totally irrelevant to me if anyone wears cash shop or rides a mount or is faster at salvaging. Unlike in other games, like one from Squeenix, glamour is not as important in GW2. You don't need to keep up with every new item added, or skins, or whatnot. I know, envy can arise when it's actually in the game, but in the end, aNet offers enough nice things for free. But the grass is usually greener on the other side of the fence, aight? The cash shop and the non-cash shop fence in that matter..

> > > >

> > > > Excelsior.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > The standard mount skins are limited to 1 dye slot for no good reason. While even the 400 gem reskins have 4 slots

> >

> > Dye channel do not make a character run faster, hit harder, more tanky etc.

> >

> > Yes, by default the free mounts are limited on cosmetic side, there is no argue about it. But is the limited dye panel also reduced your play-ability compare to the ones that bought mount skin? Definitely not, right?

> >

> > I personally think the default mount are beautiful, besides limited customization, they are as good looking as some of the paid ones, and i am perfectly fine to pay Anet to support their good works and long term development.

>

> but it clearly shows that gemshop stuff is objectively and in quantificable ways better than ingame rewards. Whats the point to play most content more than once if gemshop stuff is superior and not an alternative/sidegrade

>

> it does not matter if it makes you better in combat or not, since the endgame of this game was supposed to be fashion and not an item spiral. but all the fashion improvements come from gemstore

The games endgame is what you want it to be, if you desire cosplay as your endgame so be it but I play the game for entertainment and thus playing the fun parts like fractals, story, pvp, exploring and alot of these parts can be repeated even after you have completed it and by that it becomes my endgame.

I have bought quite a lot of skins in the store but I recently realised that I don't use any of the 5 outfits I bought becouse the gear I gained from in-game looks alot better.

Instead of buying 2-3 months of gamete in wow I bought the Halloween mount pack in Gw2, and I think they are well spent money. I got myself a nice looking Griffin skin from my 300 gems I got from my achievement points reward and I don't regret spending them on that.

But what I am trying to say is that in my opinion, fashion in this game being endgame is a big load of BS.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> >all the fashion improvements come from gemstore

>

>

> Except that they don't. Not even close. The gemstore has a small fraction of the skin options in game.

>

>

Have you even read what I wrote? Gemstore items are objectively better. More dye slots, more polygons, better textures, more effects, less clipping etc.

Also there are already 46 black lion chest weapon sets. That alone is more than a small fraction of skins in the game lol. 46*16 = 736

There are about 4900 armor+weapons skins in the game at the moment, including duplicates that are the same for each armor weight. So just with this generous calculation we can conclude that black lion chest weapon skins alone are over 15% of all the skins in the game. Probably more like 25% of all skins if you substract skins that unlock for all 3 armor weights and precursor skins. Then you add all the single weapon skins, armor pieces, old armor sets etc and we probably reach 40%. Then also discount all the cheap retextures like iron, steel, darksteel, mithril etc skins. At this point your small fraction argument crumbles to dust.

For mount skins we have 5 standard skins you can get for free and 50+ that are gemshop.

For gliders we have 4 skins ingame and about 50 in shop.

For miniatures it is probably about 70/30 (it only started with LS3 that Anet added more miniatures you can earn ingame than gemshop, but those are all miniaturized existing models).

Home instance additions are mostly from gemstore.

And the problem is gemstore stuff is objectively better than legendary armor, a lot of gemstore weapons are also equal to legendary weapons in quality.

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > >all the fashion improvements come from gemstore

> >

> >

> > Except that they don't. Not even close. The gemstore has a small fraction of the skin options in game.

> >

> >

> Have you even read what I wrote? Gemstore items are objectively better. More dye slots, more polygons, better textures, more effects, less clipping etc.

>

> Also there are already 46 black lion chest weapon sets. That alone is more than a small fraction of skins in the game lol. 46*16 = 736

> There are about 4900 armor+weapons skins in the game at the moment, including duplicates that are the same for each armor weight. So just with this generous calculation we can conclude that black lion chest weapon skins alone are over 15% of all the skins in the game. Probably more like 25% of all skins if you substract skins that unlock for all 3 armor weights and precursor skins. Then you add all the single weapon skins, armor pieces, old armor sets etc and we probably reach 40%. Then also discount all the cheap retextures like iron, steel, darksteel, mithril etc skins. At this point your small fraction argument crumbles to dust.

> For mount skins we have 5 standard skins you can get for free and 50+ that are gemshop.

> For gliders we have 4 skins ingame and about 50 in shop.

> For miniatures it is probably about 70/30 (it only started with LS3 that Anet added more miniatures you can earn ingame than gemshop, but those are all miniaturized existing models).

> Home instance additions are mostly from gemstore.

>

> And the problem is gemstore stuff is objectively better than legendary armor, a lot of gemstore weapons are also equal to legendary weapons in quality.

Tell me who is gonna buy gemstore cosmetic if every ingame skin is higher than or equal quality to gemstore products?

Please make some sense here, will you pay extra money for lower quality product if you got better quality free goodies in real life?

If the gemstore items are not attractive to begin with, why do we even need a gemstore?

Whatever gemstore is selling player can buy it with in game gold already, please bear in mind it is not even an option in most other games.

Weapon skin sets added to the gem store since PoF launch:

* War God

* Shifting Sands

* Glacial

* Alchemist

Weapon skin sets added to the game outside the gem store since PoF launch:

* Funerary

* Awakened

* Mordant

* Elonian

* Sunspear

* Astral

* Stellar

Armor Skins released in Gem Store since PoF:

* None, they don't release armor skins in the gem store anymore

Armor Skins Released outside the gem store since PoF:

* Funerary

* Warbeast

* Bounty Hunter

* Elonian

* Sunspear

You can complain about the number of mount skins, and that's fine... whether it's a valid complaint or not (It isn't, the three glider skins that are available in game were tacked on to legendary back items as an afterthought and didn't appear until six months after HoT released) you're perfectly justified in feeling that way, but we have gotten measurably more in game obtainable skin sets than gem store ones and so the OP is blatantly wrong in this regard.

I think the trouble is that PoF's biggest selling point - mounts - have been by far Anet's biggest gemstore mis-step, and there is still no decent, value-for-money solution for customers who want to _choose_ individual mount skins without paying through the nose.

The 'fancy' single mount skins are, imo, overpriced; the mount set packs are a pain as they don't let you buy individual skins for individual mounts (all or nothing!); and the 'standard' single mount skins are locked behind RNG in the adoption licence. Coupled with the unnecessarily quick removal of mount skins from the gemstore to create fake exclusivity and presumably manufacture 'returning item' sales promotions further down the line, it's created a complete lack of control and choice over mount cosmetics. I'd really like to dress up my mounts but I'm not happy with any of the purchase options we've been given so far, so I haven't bought anything related to them. It stings, but I don't buy stuff with real cash if I don't feel like I'm getting value for money.

Other than that, I don't mind the gemstore implementation on the whole. Would never say no to more skins accessible in game, of course.

2 pages of comments mostly ragging on the OP and no one points out the obvious issue?

YES there has always been a cash shop - NO there has not always been weekly releases of new items, a concerted system of scarcity etc

Dulfy has to spend more time these days doing the breakdown of gem store releases than anything else - despite not being accepted as a partner.

It used to be occasional releases, then it was ramped up to 2 times a month, since just before PoF or maybe at the time of release it became weekly - there have been times where in game content has had to be delayed, there has never been a time in my knowledge where the now weekly iteration of release for the gem store has NOT happened.

That's the difference, and I cant get my head around how no one here appears to have noticed or appears to think that that is not a new focus on gem store over in game items.

It can be argued that in some ways PoF was a vehicle to advertise and display mounts, which of course are exclusively in the gem shop, more so than mounts being a nice new mechanic add on, PoF just doesn't have the depth of Hot in terms of replayability that I would expect in a XP, why haven't they done anything about that? unless of course the XP was all about the mounts....

Yes its true that there has-always-been-a-cash-shop, but there has been some serious money applied to employing cutting edge marketing manipulation techniques and constant monitoring of the gem to gold ratio and analysis of WHEN to bring an item back using scarcity - this is why the gem to gold ratio hasn't dropped since PoF this is why the gem shop never has a week off.

Its nto what it was and im having trouble understanding why no one here can see that - people have talked about it on Reddit.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.

> > > > No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

> > >

> > > You are correct. There is a dual unlock system for Living World releases.

> > >

> > > + Anyone who logs in during the 2-3 month release window for an episode triggers the first unlock.

> > > + The second unlock is owning the current XPac.

> > >

> > > Ill was only partially correct, because s/he did not include the second unlock condition.

> >

> > In fairness Ill said the side stories (like the awakened invasions in Queensdale and the other starting zones that they added during the first) are free to all, not the episodes.

>

> S/He made three statements:

>

> "The only content that costs gems are the expansions." (incorrect -- XPac's cannot be bought via gems, only the deluxe upgrade can)

> " Side stories are free to all." (correct)

> "The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears." (correct)

>

> My comment was only addressing the Living World chapters.

>

> > Unlocking the episode is free to all if you log in when it first goes live but yeah you having it unlocked on your account is no good unless you have the relevant expansion.

> >

> > Personally, I think that the only unlock required should be buying the expansion.

>

> I agree that that way would be cleaner.

I fixed your post for you it is correct that you get it for free when you login once during the 3 month period, it will be there when you get the relevant expansion free of charge.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.

> > > > > No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

> > > >

> > > > You are correct. There is a dual unlock system for Living World releases.

> > > >

> > > > + Anyone who logs in during the 2-3 month release window for an episode triggers the first unlock.

> > > > + The second unlock is owning the current XPac.

> > > >

> > > > Ill was only partially correct, because s/he did not include the second unlock condition.

> > >

> > > In fairness Ill said the side stories (like the awakened invasions in Queensdale and the other starting zones that they added during the first) are free to all, not the episodes.

> >

> > S/He made three statements:

> >

> > "The only content that costs gems are the expansions." (incorrect -- XPac's cannot be bought via gems, only the deluxe upgrade can)

> > " Side stories are free to all." (correct)

> > "The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears." (correct)

> >

> > My comment was only addressing the Living World chapters.

> >

> > > Unlocking the episode is free to all if you log in when it first goes live but yeah you having it unlocked on your account is no good unless you have the relevant expansion.

> > >

> > > Personally, I think that the only unlock required should be buying the expansion.

> >

> > I agree that that way would be cleaner.

>

> I fixed your post for you it is correct that you get it for free when you login once during the 3 month period, it will be there when you get the relevant expansion free of charge.

That is an important distinction to make. It is unlocked for you when you log in during its window. You can't ACCESS it until you purchase the expansion, but as long as you logged in during it, you won't have to spend any extra gems on that episode even if you waited to purchase the ex-pack.

> @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> Weapon skin sets added to the gem store since PoF launch:

> * War God

> * Shifting Sands

> * Glacial

> * Alchemist

>

> Weapon skin sets added to the game outside the gem store since PoF launch:

> * Funerary

> * Awakened

> * Mordant

> * Elonian

> * Sunspear

> * Astral

> * Stellar

>

> Armor Skins released in Gem Store since PoF:

> * None, they don't release armor skins in the gem store anymore

>

> Armor Skins Released outside the gem store since PoF:

> * Funerary

> * Warbeast

> * Bounty Hunter

> * Elonian

> * Sunspear

>

> You can complain about the number of mount skins, and that's fine... whether it's a valid complaint or not (It isn't, the three glider skins that are available in game were tacked on to legendary back items as an afterthought and didn't appear until six months after HoT released) you're perfectly justified in feeling that way, but we have gotten measurably more in game obtainable skin sets than gem store ones and so the OP is blatantly wrong in this regard.

Abit incorrect there mate we dident get any of those weapons or armor skins since pof launch.

We got the when we bought the pof expansion.

We got the usual glove shoulder or helm skin with the living stories tho.

Would be nice if they could release a full set with 6 episodes of living story imo instead of stand alone 3x helms 1 shoulder 2 gloves for example.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > Weapon skin sets added to the gem store since PoF launch:

> > * War God

> > * Shifting Sands

> > * Glacial

> > * Alchemist

> >

> > Weapon skin sets added to the game outside the gem store since PoF launch:

> > * Funerary

> > * Awakened

> > * Mordant

> > * Elonian

> > * Sunspear

> > * Astral

> > * Stellar

> >

> > Armor Skins released in Gem Store since PoF:

> > * None, they don't release armor skins in the gem store anymore

> >

> > Armor Skins Released outside the gem store since PoF:

> > * Funerary

> > * Warbeast

> > * Bounty Hunter

> > * Elonian

> > * Sunspear

> >

> > You can complain about the number of mount skins, and that's fine... whether it's a valid complaint or not (It isn't, the three glider skins that are available in game were tacked on to legendary back items as an afterthought and didn't appear until six months after HoT released) you're perfectly justified in feeling that way, but we have gotten measurably more in game obtainable skin sets than gem store ones and so the OP is blatantly wrong in this regard.

>

> Abit incorrect there mate we dident get any of those weapons or armor skins since pof launch.

> We got the when we bought the pof expansion.

> We got the usual glove shoulder or helm skin with the living stories tho.

> Would be nice if they could release a full set with 6 episodes of living story imo instead of stand alone 3x helms 1 shoulder 2 gloves for example.

and while we're at it make the xpacs f2p too

I wish any skins that have been put in the cash shop were also offered in game without gold grinding and gem conversion. It's kind of like how when they introduced the ability to make precursors where in many instances, it was still cheaper to just grind gold and buy the precursor off the tp instead of crafting it yourself. Of course that could have been alleviated if all the crafting materials involved in precursor crafting were new additions to the game and account bound.

I mean it can't be that difficult to just create a few new (and add a whole bunch of existing quests) across Tyria to unlock the same things offered in the cash shop. Sure there will be people who still buy them, but not everyone wants the easy way out. Feels better to work towards something rather than having it handed to you by whipping out a credit card.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > Weapon skin sets added to the gem store since PoF launch:

> > * War God

> > * Shifting Sands

> > * Glacial

> > * Alchemist

> >

> > Weapon skin sets added to the game outside the gem store since PoF launch:

> > * Funerary

> > * Awakened

> > * Mordant

> > * Elonian

> > * Sunspear

> > * Astral

> > * Stellar

> >

> > Armor Skins released in Gem Store since PoF:

> > * None, they don't release armor skins in the gem store anymore

> >

> > Armor Skins Released outside the gem store since PoF:

> > * Funerary

> > * Warbeast

> > * Bounty Hunter

> > * Elonian

> > * Sunspear

> >

> > You can complain about the number of mount skins, and that's fine... whether it's a valid complaint or not (It isn't, the three glider skins that are available in game were tacked on to legendary back items as an afterthought and didn't appear until six months after HoT released) you're perfectly justified in feeling that way, but we have gotten measurably more in game obtainable skin sets than gem store ones and so the OP is blatantly wrong in this regard.

>

> Abit incorrect there mate we dident get any of those weapons or armor skins since pof launch.

> We got the when we bought the pof expansion.

> We got the usual glove shoulder or helm skin with the living stories tho.

> Would be nice if they could release a full set with 6 episodes of living story imo instead of stand alone 3x helms 1 shoulder 2 gloves for example.

The Stellar and Astral weapon skins came with LS4E1, neither of them locked to gem store purchases. You need to have purchased Path of Fire to access LS4, and you also needed to purchase HoT to access LS3... if we're going by this logic we haven't recieved a single non-gemstore skin since HoT launch, and so the OP is **still** wrong as it was not PoF that made the game more gem focused at all, but rather that this has been happening since the first Expansion. And while I agree it would be nice, they have told us in the past why they don't give us individual pants/chests that look the same across all armor weights like they do with gloves/helmets/boots/shoulders. Light, Medium, and Heavy armor all have different anchor points on the body for the chest and pant piece. If they made the skin the same across all three weights, they wouldn't line up correctly on two of the three armor weights, leaving them floating weirdly or clipping badly.

> @"Crossaber.8934" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > >all the fashion improvements come from gemstore

> > >

> > >

> > > Except that they don't. Not even close. The gemstore has a small fraction of the skin options in game.

> > >

> > >

> > Have you even read what I wrote? Gemstore items are objectively better. More dye slots, more polygons, better textures, more effects, less clipping etc.

> >

> > Also there are already 46 black lion chest weapon sets. That alone is more than a small fraction of skins in the game lol. 46*16 = 736

> > There are about 4900 armor+weapons skins in the game at the moment, including duplicates that are the same for each armor weight. So just with this generous calculation we can conclude that black lion chest weapon skins alone are over 15% of all the skins in the game. Probably more like 25% of all skins if you substract skins that unlock for all 3 armor weights and precursor skins. Then you add all the single weapon skins, armor pieces, old armor sets etc and we probably reach 40%. Then also discount all the cheap retextures like iron, steel, darksteel, mithril etc skins. At this point your small fraction argument crumbles to dust.

> > For mount skins we have 5 standard skins you can get for free and 50+ that are gemshop.

> > For gliders we have 4 skins ingame and about 50 in shop.

> > For miniatures it is probably about 70/30 (it only started with LS3 that Anet added more miniatures you can earn ingame than gemshop, but those are all miniaturized existing models).

> > Home instance additions are mostly from gemstore.

> >

> > And the problem is gemstore stuff is objectively better than legendary armor, a lot of gemstore weapons are also equal to legendary weapons in quality.

>

> Tell me who is gonna buy gemstore cosmetic if every ingame skin is higher than or equal quality to gemstore products?

>

> Please make some sense here, will you pay extra money for lower quality product if you got better quality free goodies in real life?

>

> If the gemstore items are not attractive to begin with, why do we even need a gemstore?

>

> Whatever gemstore is selling player can buy it with in game gold already, please bear in mind it is not even an option in most other games.

>

It is easy. Gemstore should keep QoL stuff like more bank slots, character slots, inventory etc. The cosmetics should just be sidegrades that do not fit the current ingame content. But the ingame rewards should definitely be of equal quality

GW2 has no sub fee, all the Gem store items can be purchased without ever using real-world money (I never spent a dime on Gems ever) unlike EVERY other F2P MML game out there. 50% of free MMOs gate "premium content" and cosmetics behind real-world money ONLY, the other 50% makes grinding for the premium currency extremely hard. In GW2 grinding for gold is shockingly easy--gold seems to sap out of every orifice when it comes to GW2.

If you spend at least 5 hours of grinding you can make enough gold to purchase something in the Gem store. In other MMOs? If you spend at least 5 *weeks* of grinding you can buy a shiny new toy.

Considering all the stuff on the Gem store is cosmetic and unnecessary, what is the problem behing highlighted here?

> @"Rococo.8347" said:

> 2 pages of comments mostly ragging on the OP and no one points out the obvious issue?

>

> YES there has always been a cash shop - NO there has not always been weekly releases of new items, a concerted system of scarcity etc

> Dulfy has to spend more time these days doing the breakdown of gem store releases than anything else - despite not being accepted as a partner.

>

> It used to be occasional releases, then it was ramped up to 2 times a month, since just before PoF or maybe at the time of release it became weekly - there have been times where in game content has had to be delayed, there has never been a time in my knowledge where the now weekly iteration of release for the gem store has NOT happened.

>

> That's the difference, and I cant get my head around how no one here appears to have noticed or appears to think that that is not a new focus on gem store over in game items.

>

> It can be argued that in some ways PoF was a vehicle to advertise and display mounts, which of course are exclusively in the gem shop, more so than mounts being a nice new mechanic add on, PoF just doesn't have the depth of Hot in terms of replayability that I would expect in a XP, why haven't they done anything about that? unless of course the XP was all about the mounts....

>

> Yes its true that there has-always-been-a-cash-shop, but there has been some serious money applied to employing cutting edge marketing manipulation techniques and constant monitoring of the gem to gold ratio and analysis of WHEN to bring an item back using scarcity - this is why the gem to gold ratio hasn't dropped since PoF this is why the gem shop never has a week off.

>

> Its nto what it was and im having trouble understanding why no one here can see that - people have talked about it on Reddit.

I can explain it to you in no uncertain terms: It takes far less time to design some items to put in the CS than it does to create actual content for said items to be released in game. The "but I want it all for free" argument implied by the OP means that there is no money for development for in game stuff. Things in the world cost money, and if you're providing a F2P MMO, you have to generate money somewhere. As was pointed out earlier in the thread, if you could get better stuff for free than you what you could buy from the CS, why would you buy from the CS, why would anyone? Now, I did buy some gems for a bank upgrade. I haven't been playing long enough to have enough gold to get the gems in game. If I feel I need it, I may do it again next month. However, the number of dye slots on my mount? That's totally irrelevant. You know what is relevant? I have a mount. I didn't even know it could be dyed until today, and then it was "ah, cool, useless, but cool".

I may want to spend a significant amount of time playing this game, in the neighborhood of years, in fact. It would sure be nice if it could stick around until at least I get bored with it. Not like I'd want it to shut down the day after I left, but I have a tendency to play these games for at least 5 years, and I've been known to drop a few bucks for the CS in the games I have played, or to carry a sub, even if it's optional, such as DDO, where I carried two subs for 7 years. If given the choice between playing for 6 months or so, and getting all the shiny stuff for free, or having it in the CS, keeping the game running as long as possible, I'd choose the latter.

> @"Faowri.4159" said:

>The 'fancy' single mount skins are, imo, overpriced; the mount set packs are a pain as they don't let you buy individual skins for individual mounts (all or nothing!); and the 'standard' single mount skins are locked behind RNG in the adoption licence.

Relative to other games in the MMORPG market the mounts on GW2 are extremely cheap. Mount skins on GW2 are unlocked on your account for ~20$ a skin or for a bundle of them, where as on most other games you are looking at 10-30$ for a mount that applies to a single character. Even for some sub games if you want a mount for your entire account it will be ~30$ and in the f2p setting it is 30-50$ for account mounts. As for the RNG mounts, it's a little over 100$ I believe to get all of them with zero repeats, compared to mount loot boxes elsewhere you are looking at 50-100$+ for a single mount skin with repeats. Mounts on other games generally do not have the option to change their color, especially not so freely.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.

> > > > > No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

> > > >

> > > > You are correct. There is a dual unlock system for Living World releases.

> > > >

> > > > + Anyone who logs in during the 2-3 month release window for an episode triggers the first unlock.

> > > > + The second unlock is owning the current XPac.

> > > >

> > > > Ill was only partially correct, because s/he did not include the second unlock condition.

> > >

> > > In fairness Ill said the side stories (like the awakened invasions in Queensdale and the other starting zones that they added during the first) are free to all, not the episodes.

> >

> > S/He made three statements:

> >

> > "The only content that costs gems are the expansions." (incorrect -- XPac's cannot be bought via gems, only the deluxe upgrade can)

> > " Side stories are free to all." (correct)

> > "The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears." (incorrect)

> >

> > My comment was only addressing the Living World chapters.

> >

> > > Unlocking the episode is free to all if you log in when it first goes live but yeah you having it unlocked on your account is no good unless you have the relevant expansion.

> > >

> > > Personally, I think that the only unlock required should be buying the expansion.

> >

> > I agree that that way would be cleaner.

>

> I fixed your post for you it is correct that you get it for free when you login once during the 3 month period, it will be there when you get the relevant expansion free of charge.

No, you altered what I said, you did not fix it. The fact is that there are two unlocks for LW episodes, not one. The only reason I care is that someone who does not know the game inside and out could read, "LS is free if you login during its release period." and believe that is all they need to do. But, split hairs if you must.

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > >all the fashion improvements come from gemstore

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Except that they don't. Not even close. The gemstore has a small fraction of the skin options in game.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Have you even read what I wrote? Gemstore items are objectively better. More dye slots, more polygons, better textures, more effects, less clipping etc.

> > >

> > > Also there are already 46 black lion chest weapon sets. That alone is more than a small fraction of skins in the game lol. 46*16 = 736

> > > There are about 4900 armor+weapons skins in the game at the moment, including duplicates that are the same for each armor weight. So just with this generous calculation we can conclude that black lion chest weapon skins alone are over 15% of all the skins in the game. Probably more like 25% of all skins if you substract skins that unlock for all 3 armor weights and precursor skins. Then you add all the single weapon skins, armor pieces, old armor sets etc and we probably reach 40%. Then also discount all the cheap retextures like iron, steel, darksteel, mithril etc skins. At this point your small fraction argument crumbles to dust.

> > > For mount skins we have 5 standard skins you can get for free and 50+ that are gemshop.

> > > For gliders we have 4 skins ingame and about 50 in shop.

> > > For miniatures it is probably about 70/30 (it only started with LS3 that Anet added more miniatures you can earn ingame than gemshop, but those are all miniaturized existing models).

> > > Home instance additions are mostly from gemstore.

> > >

> > > And the problem is gemstore stuff is objectively better than legendary armor, a lot of gemstore weapons are also equal to legendary weapons in quality.

> >

> > Tell me who is gonna buy gemstore cosmetic if every ingame skin is higher than or equal quality to gemstore products?

> >

> > Please make some sense here, will you pay extra money for lower quality product if you got better quality free goodies in real life?

> >

> > If the gemstore items are not attractive to begin with, why do we even need a gemstore?

> >

> > Whatever gemstore is selling player can buy it with in game gold already, please bear in mind it is not even an option in most other games.

> >

>

> It is easy. Gemstore should keep QoL stuff like more bank slots, character slots, inventory etc. The cosmetics should just be sidegrades that do not fit the current ingame content. But the ingame rewards should definitely be of equal quality

Be careful what you wish for, it is possible to grant you the wish: stop selling cosmetic in gemstore, convert all already sold bank space, material slot, character slot, bag slot etc whatever you called QoL items into rental mode.

Everything become 2 weeks rental with cash only, your extra bank, materal storage, extra character get locked out unless you pay real money. This is also a very common tactics used widely on many games. Not a sub based but you may need to pay every 2 weeks for your QoL gameplay.

Who said the ingame cosmetic quality is not as high as gemstore? It is a subjective point of view, i say most of the best quality skin are locked behind RAID. I rather bought them in gemstore than to play mode that I don’t enjoy.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > > > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > > > > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > The only content that costs gems are the expansions. Side stories are free to all. The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears.

> > > > > > No its not free to all. You bought the future living world episodes when you bought PoF. Or am I mistaken and people with only HoT/GW2 can travel to PoF zones and do its story?

> > > > >

> > > > > You are correct. There is a dual unlock system for Living World releases.

> > > > >

> > > > > + Anyone who logs in during the 2-3 month release window for an episode triggers the first unlock.

> > > > > + The second unlock is owning the current XPac.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ill was only partially correct, because s/he did not include the second unlock condition.

> > > >

> > > > In fairness Ill said the side stories (like the awakened invasions in Queensdale and the other starting zones that they added during the first) are free to all, not the episodes.

> > >

> > > S/He made three statements:

> > >

> > > "The only content that costs gems are the expansions." (incorrect -- XPac's cannot be bought via gems, only the deluxe upgrade can)

> > > " Side stories are free to all." (correct)

> > > "The Living World is free to anyone who logs on just once during the 3-month period each chapter first appears." (incorrect)

> > >

> > > My comment was only addressing the Living World chapters.

> > >

> > > > Unlocking the episode is free to all if you log in when it first goes live but yeah you having it unlocked on your account is no good unless you have the relevant expansion.

> > > >

> > > > Personally, I think that the only unlock required should be buying the expansion.

> > >

> > > I agree that that way would be cleaner.

> >

> > I fixed your post for you it is correct that you get it for free when you login once during the 3 month period, it will be there when you get the relevant expansion free of charge.

>

> No, you altered what I said, you did not fix it. The fact is that there are two unlocks for LW episodes, not one. The only reason I care is that someone who does not know the game inside and out could read, "LS is free if you login during its release period." and believe that is all they need to do. But, split hairs if you must.

There's only one, the login condition. You cannot expect to get paid content that you didn't pay for, well, you can, but you're going to be very disappointed. I own both expansions, and so, the only conditions I would have to meet for the seasons is to log in. Anyone that knows gaming will know that they can't play paid content w/out buying it, even if they believe they should be entitled to that, or to "discounts".

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> If you could share your idea on how they supplement the development of the game beyond box sales/expansions I am sure the bean counters will be all ears.

> Other than that nothing has really changed with the shop except the theme around new additions which will of course be linked to current content.

They could supplement it even if they give us 10% of those skins via achievements/questlines/collections like every other MMO out there. There is not only black and white. This is my main critique. No one argues against a gem store which sell mostly fluff, but at least give us a tiny percentage of those skins not by a absolutely unepic ways.

A big part for me in other MMOs was getting rare epic mount skins via in game achievements/questlines etc. It's a shame that there is not a single mount skin out there and non of the 50+ gliders (besides legendaries/orignals).

Additionally, it is also a missed opportunity: mount skins are well known to keep players playing their game. I don't play often anymore. But I would definitely play the game more frequently if there were collections/achievements with cool theme based mounts. Compare to the cloud serpents or nether drakes in WoW. Nice, original quest lines with daily quests etc. _That_ is content which incentivise me.