Why is Guild Wars the best mmo out there but still not enough

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like everything in the world there is no such thing as perfect. Even though I started playing GW2 from the beta having played WoW since classic, I still think GW2 is awesome. Every player will look at the game a little differently. I personally love GW2 for its art style, graphics, and combat system. It also has possibly the best community of any game out there. There however will always be criticisms. Things not in game that maybe should be, or things that can always be improved upon. This is true for any game. Some players thought the addition of raids was the greatest thing ever, others felt it was a huge mistake ( i find myself in the latter). I wish that dungeons were worked upon more, I wished that legendary weapons had never been slowed down to a crawl like they have been. I wish there was more gear and trait flexibility than there is (ie no meta). So obviously GW2 to me isnt perfect, but its good enough to keep me playing it.

Now you asked specifically about WoW. WoW still has a large fan base and enough players to keep it as a powerhouse after years of being on the market. That doesnt mean it doesnt have flaws too. The game is completely reliant on raiding to get the most out of it since all the best gear comes from there. If you dont or cant raid than you miss out on literally half of each expansion, GW2 has raiding but the main story isnt built around it. Class balance has the same issues that GW2 does, its a constant tipping scale. PVP balance is in the same boat, it will never be perfect, imo the combat system in GW2 I just find better / more engaging.

The long and short of it (sorry for my rant), Guild Wars 2 is awesome for those that enjoy what it offers, WoW is awesome for those that enjoy what it offers, but no game is perfect. Thats why we have the forums to address concerns, give suggestions and why we have updates. Cheers!

There's never been a perfect game. MMOs consider of many moving parts and no matter how much you like them, something isn't going to appeal to you. But it will appeal to someone else. I don't personally care about SPvP or raids, but others do. Those aspects of the game mean very very little to me. I like PvE and WvW. Those aspects mean something to me. But since raids are a part of PvE and SPvP is part of PvP, even my own personal areas of interest aren't filled by everything in the game.

I find some of the new story instances to be annoying, along with some of the events in the new zone. They're relatively small sections of the zone and story, but that doesn't mean they don't take me out of my game and annoy me. There are other parts of the story I love but some people in my guild hate them. There is no game that will take every box for anyone and everyone is going to have different boxes.

I've played at least a half dozen MMOs enough to know that those MMOs weren't for me, but people like those MMOs. Two of my friends left this game for another MMO. I bought it and tried it and didn't enjoy it. Obviously they do. So I'm not sure of the point of the thread.

No game is perfect, and this game does indeed have its flaws. And that's fine! You can't please everyone, and attempting to do so will tank the whole game faster than you can say "Balthazar's holy flaming bathrobe." People like different things. I love the story of GW2, and am leery about attempting PvP or WvW, preferring to play solo. Others might hate the story and play only those game modes. And for some, GW2 as a whole might not be what they want from a game. Nothing wrong with that.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> every single person i talk to ether tried GW2 but hate it or just don't care enough to leave WoW, if anything GW2 is the most off putting game i have ever seen.

changing MMOs is difficult in general. and GW2 is just a weird animal of an MMO

> @"SoulSin.5682" said:

> Perfect MMo game? Never.

>

> I still recommend GW2 because of the casual start and the fact that ANET has being doing an active job on QoL and balance since release.

> (Plus the fact that this game doesn't have annoying stuff like raising level caps and holy trinity).

I will expand my answer a bit more.

If i were to classify a MMo as *Bad*, *acceptable*, *Good* or *Great* GW2 has, since launch, being "Good" at everything.

GW2 has no major strong points like WoW Raid System, Many dungeons like FFXIV or a PvP systen that can compete with some MOBAs. Still none of the game modes by itself is flawed to the point no one wants to play. I mean, mobas doesn't have PvE at all, FFXIV PvP is bad... really bad. And on WoW good luck playing "old content", when everyone only cares for the last equipment on the last raid released..... if you can raid at all.

If you bring Korean MMos to the table, you quickly find out the reasons why I would recommend GW2 to most people. pretty much every korean mmo nowadays is filled with abandoned mechanics, bugs that never get fixed, terrible trading market (the item you can buy is crap, the item you need cost 1000% the price of the latter, and you need cash shop to unlock it), terrible inventory management (worse than here at least). Plus a shit load of mercenary mechanics that came out straight from mobile games.

GW2 is *Great* at few things, but it isn't bad at anything.

Problems like class balance or some game modes getting less attention exist on every MMo.

At least ANET has proven these past few years to pay attention to all game modes, slowly, fixing the game and improving the gameplay. Plus we do get balance patches every 6 months or so meanwhile some Korean games have the same valid builds and meta classes since release. They only touch balance on the new expansion (that you have to pay, grind your characters again, equip the last raid set again, etc).

Tough some people my disagree with me, the best part of GW2 is ANET. It's worth to invest time on a game that's hosted and developed by the very same game company.

You need to play an MMo thats developed by a company at published by another to find what a real nightmare is.

In that sense, I understand why people keep comparing GW2 to WoW. Sinze Blizzard also does a good job on their game. But comparing to the whole market as a whole, GW2 is easily the best Free to Play game and on of the best MMos in the market.

Its like comparing Apples and Oranges. Both are fruits, you may like one, both or none.

If I don't like raiding and I don't want to pay subscription. Why would I play WoW?

Keep in mind, Guild Wars 2 is now many years old and the new has worn off. It's very much a case of been there, done that. As far as World of Warcraft? For many, it's their first and only MMO and change is scary when you've invested so much time in anything. Case in point, I'd be gone from this game too, but I've been here since beta. That's the most time I've invested in any MMO and logging in has now become part of my daily routine.

Again, change is scary.

The problem lies with the population. The issue is one of expectations. If a game has a particular experience (or set of experiences) it wants to provide the player, the game is still expected to provide a laundry list of other features which can have a large effect on the end product and the intended goals of those supplied experience. A developer might have a focus on narrative and group guild activities but get roped into providing PvP esport activities or large group content that could veer from the intended goal or completely derail the goal. It's just expected to provide these extra features and for the story to go on and on rather than decisively conclude.

Then we ask why people complain or get burnt out or lose interest when the fault lies at our feet. The industry has changed to appease what the majority wants but the majority doesn't know what it wants. Luckily for the industry, their only goal is to profit so as long as that window of opportunity stays open and shifts one way or the other, they will just shift their product in tandum for profit. I can imagine an original creator of their game feeling alienated from their own creation after a time as the creative work grows a mind of its own and decides independently where it wants to go. Then you have a mass of thoughts and ideas with many different types of goals trying to go in different directions with a director supposedly trying to drive this ship with a corporate heel standing on their throat.

Whether the game is "the best" or not is irrelevent, it's how sustainable it is. With how MMOs exist these days, they survive on a whim and can cease to exist or be unplayable. If they stop being sustainable, then that's it. Even if a game is 20th or 100th place in the MMO market, if it can be sustain then it will exist and you will be able to enjoy it.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> every single person i talk to ether tried GW2 but hate it or just don't care enough to leave WoW, if anything GW2 is the most off putting game i have ever seen.

If there is anything i find 'off putting' it's the crummy way WoW tried to copy-paste the scaled leveling process in a halfbaked effort to restore some ejoyment to 90% of their game.

Well at least it finally gave me the push to end the torture and go GW2 fulltime, so it actually did have some use :)

Something to consider, Guild Wars 2 only seems like it is one of the best MMORPGs because almost every other MMORPG is an absolute failure, in addition to the fact the genre hasn't had many major changes despite how old it is. Most MMORPGs have been a copy/paste of older MMORPGs with a different skin, they add absolutely nothing new to the genre, and have zero long term focus for success.

Guild Wars 2 has many areas it can improve on, but it lacks the competition in the genre to really have to improve right away. WoW has already peaked due to being too large, FFXIV isn't going to take anything from GW2 at this point, and there's no major MMORPGs being released anytime soon other than more generic Korean grinding simulators that run horribly.

> @"Yamazuki.6073" said:

> Something to consider, Guild Wars 2 only seems like it is one of the best MMORPGs because almost every other MMORPG is an absolute failure, in addition to the fact the genre hasn't had many major changes despite how old it is. Most MMORPGs have been a copy/paste of older MMORPGs with a different skin, they add absolutely nothing new to the genre, and have zero long term focus for success.

>

> Guild Wars 2 has many areas it can improve on, but it lacks the competition in the genre to really have to improve right away. WoW has already peaked due to being too large, FFXIV isn't going to take anything from GW2 at this point, and there's no major MMORPGs being released anytime soon other than more generic Korean grinding simulators that run horribly.

Ff14 is more popular than gw2.

> @"Yamazuki.6073" said:

> Something to consider, Guild Wars 2 only seems like it is one of the best MMORPGs because almost every other MMORPG is an absolute failure, in addition to the fact the genre hasn't had many major changes despite how old it is. Most MMORPGs have been a copy/paste of older MMORPGs with a different skin, they add absolutely nothing new to the genre, and have zero long term focus for success.

>

> Guild Wars 2 has many areas it can improve on, but it lacks the competition in the genre to really have to improve right away. WoW has already peaked due to being too large, FFXIV isn't going to take anything from GW2 at this point, and there's no major MMORPGs being released anytime soon other than more generic Korean grinding simulators that run horribly.

Wow and final fantasy 14 still have more active players then gw2.

Ashes of creation is a western mmo coming out that has high hopes as it's a western game not a Korean horrible grind fest of garbage.

I think the game would be more lively if they advertised more or put out some better ads, I see a GW2 ad maybe once a year and its just buy now and boost to 80 for free with an old concept art of Logan, think more video ads would help. Just my opinion, know so many people who play now and say they love it but only found game cause I recommended it to them, prob many new fans out there waiting to play this game just dont know about it yet.

> @"Vivilett.8509" said:

> The game is awesome ! Has a little bit for everyone , stable population and fast pace pvp

>

> Yet, to the vocal minority its not enough,

>

> Has there ever been the perfect game? Wow?

Well, GW2 is without a doubt one of, if not the best MMORPG out there in terms of quality.

Sadly there's issues with it, like in every game. Especially what concerns with PvP modes and balance. Arena Net has done a very poor job in managing those game modes, and that coupled with slow balance patches is pretty disruptive of those game modes, which are bleeding players to the point where more often than not the Matchmaking algorithm in sPvP can't even get fair matches going.

In terms of PvE, the game is pretty darn near perfection (except balance issues bleeding from PvP and causing issues within PvE, like Heralds and Scourges pretty much being made useless in Raids because of PvP issues). Story is pretty great, with regular updates and new maps, Raids are also pretty good, with new ones coming out steadily, and fractals get the same.

There's a few other issues with the game, more relating to Arena Net's weird philosophies and approaches. Like going from 100 to 0 in terms of Meta Events from HoT to PoF, weird inconsistencies in terms of rewards, prices, etc.

If i had to sum it up, Arena Net as a whole still hasn't developed thick enough skin to be able to be rational and reasoned with their approaches, often taking exaggerated approaches and attitudes towards criticism (like people complained about lack of non-meta dominated maps in HoT, so PoF basically had no Meta maps), and then being stubborn and proud and unable to accept their errors and reverting their decisions, which is often to the detriment of the game, and most often than not by the time they realize how badly those decisions have affected the game, it's too late.

> @"Vivilett.8509" said:

> The game is awesome ! Has a little bit for everyone , stable population and fast pace pvp

>

> Yet, to the vocal minority its not enough,

>

> Has there ever been the perfect game? Wow?

Its because other genres do things a lot better than any mmo.

Balance is better in Fighting games like Street Fighter or FPS like Halo, TF2, Counter Strike.

Boss Battles Are better In games designed more for single player or small groups like Dark Souls series.

Games like GTA actually have dynamic events that feel less scripted and can seem to happen randomly.

Every category is somewhat compromised in an mmorpg and I believe there are a few reasons:

1. An mmorpg tries to do everything instead of having more focus like other genres.

2. There are network limitations, including badwidth that make things harder to accomplish in mmorpgs. Population of the game plays a role.

3. Having so many people playing at once makes it hard to balance and code

4. The old RPGs And MMORPG's set a trend which still happens today where skills fell less real, less impactful. They followed the Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Turn based games. MMORPGS would have been in a better spot had they followed more of the real-time/ action mechanics and strategies like Secret of Mana, Zelda, Terranigma, etc etc.

Hopefully MMORPG's of the future will catch up in other areas like other genres, and I have to give GW2 credit for trying to make dynamic events dynamic and somewhat random, but I think they just found it hard to implement. They also added the dodge mechanic which was another step in the right direction. So out of all the other MMORPG"s currently, I think ANET's original mission for GW2 came the closest to being able to leave some of the less desirable things from the MMORPG market. It was not a complete failure, I call it a partial success. Hopefully they realize some of the stuff they wanted to implement some years down the road.

GW2 would be the perfect game, if:

- it wouldn't be such a story cheesehole mess, that it is since Season 1, if Anet would jump over their self made own shadows to fix this self made situation and give this game again a proper story telling, without any holes, even if this fix means to alienate some veteran players by letting them see some old content return, that was thought to be originally a 1 time only thing, being turned into permanent dynamic Event Content instead, with slightly different Story Writing if neccessary, than how the original was, when the outcome of that rewritten story stuff ends up still as the same as the original, everything is fine, as long the whole living story feels then being fixed finaly and its season 1 stuff beign again permanent accessable part of the game with its own achievements to get for replaying the episodes, like you can do that with all LW Episodes since Season 2

- it would fix finally the cheesehole gameplay design of Crafting Jobs being ALL raiseable to level 500, this includes also finally Jeweler and Chef 500 by giving these two Crafting professions somethign USEFUL, that makes sense for them to have, so that these two Crafting Professions regain some usefulness and a reason for existance - especialyl Jeweler, whose reason of existance normally should have been to craft ASCENDED ACCESSOIREs.. but whyever anet found it better to overflood this game alresady wirth them via Fractals /rolleyes, so that there actually was never a point to make with Jeweler the thing, that would make naturalyl the most sense for this Crafting Job - to specialize it for craftign actually ascended accessoires, what would have made the most sense of all, which would feel now kind of stupoid and obsolete to add by now, cause the game is already so overflown by ascended accessoires via Fractals, that craftign them via a craftign profession like Jeweler would kind of feel stupid and liek a waste of time as a playe,r cause its much easier to just grind the Fractals for Relics and instantly buy you your accessoire, that you need, than to get materials for crafting the accessoire instead.

However, if Anet would finally add ascended Upgrades into this game as a means of implementating finalyl an own official Build template System, then would receive Jeweler 500 back its reason for existance, if you would need this Craftign Job, if you want to make usage of the Build Template System via unlocking your Upgrades as accountbound versions as ascended upgrades, so that you could use all your for your account unlocked upgrades via the Build te,mplate System like in PvP to quickly switch out your upgrades in your equipment, without ever needing to rebuy them anymore, if you removed them from equipment and didn't use for it an upgrade emove with a 100% chance to retrieve the upgrades. Ascended Runes, Ascended Jewels and Ascended Sigils..add this for Jeweler 500 Recipes and Jeweler wil lbecome finalyl again one of the most useful Craftign Professions that it was once, before you added Ascended Equipment and Fractals to this game ....

- Towns would be finally the lifeful places that anet advertised them to be, with many good reasons to go revisit them, instead of being dead ghost towns mostly, unless you are in either DR or LA, which are basicalyl since 6 years the only towns, that play for anet at all a role, while all other towns permanently get the cold shoulder by them.

With lifeful places worth revising do I mean, that all towns should provide their very own dynamic events, whichget as part of the living story over time also updated evrery now and then with new events..so that players actualyl have a REASON to visit the towns, because there is ACTION, somethign that can dynamically start in the town, like in every other normal explorable map outside of towns too. towns shoudl be full of "Adventures", actual Minigames that ANet kind of advertised for Towns to have.

I'm still missing Polymock for Rata Sum, or Bar Brawls for Divinty Reach, or the Gladium Arena for theCharr Hometown Black Citadel and so on and so forth

- this Game would receive as next Expansion an Underwater Expansion that includes Cantha as explorable Region, with a full redesign and rebalancing of the whle Underwater Combat System, including adding complete own Underwater Traitlines for the Underwater Cmbat for each Class, so that each Class as own Traits for Land as like Underwater Combat with each Class having no Skilsl anymore, which can't be used underwater, this is just a total NO GO. A good Story, that is all about the last since 6 years long unknown Deep Sea Dragon for which ANets makes a total mystery around whyever for no reason about its name - must be really special this dragon, if even Anet won't tell us its name for whopping 6 years by now ...

- it would have all of its interesting intelligent races its lore provides and counts as **high** intelligent as playable races, this includes the Tengu and the Largos, whome one could be added over time via Feature Pack as part of the Living Story, the other could be used as Expansion Feature for the Underwater Expansion (Largos, in a redesign form that makes more sense, without these terribly stiff Manta Wings which look like being glued onto their backs and rename that Largos Back Item to Manta Wings, so that it has no connection to the previous Largos Version anymore)

- we would have more interesting useable Weapon Types and would get removed therefore some totally obsolete ones, like the Harpoon Gun and the Trident, while turnign the Spear into a Hybrid Weapon finally, useable on land as like underwater, so that GW2 gets Polearms Weapons, like they were once planned to become, before ypou decided to turn them just into a Underwater Weapon. Stuff like Crossbows, Greataxes, Chain Whips/Sickles, Chakrams and Claws/Cesti are what GW2 needs to become more interesting and are the stuff, with that especially Elite Specializations could become real great additions to the game, if they add also new Weapon Types, which come together with them as part of them.

- the Game would have the likely most wished and wanted feature that this community has ever begged for (aside of Mounts xD) - Build Templates, which are an official part of this game, and not such inofficial third party garbage option that has no official support from anet, should it come ever to any kind of problems with these programs, cause they werent officially made by Anet Programmers for the game

- the Living World Storytelling would be better and Episodes would last longer, than just only like a few hours of play, like essentially watching two episodes of a TV Series for like several months of waiting in between. A new Story Patch should offer Story Content at least lasting for 2-3 Days, cause that would be then worth the wait, than like Story Content, which entertains only for 2-3 hours and your done with what the new patch offers.. kind of feels unfitting. And if Anet follows with the Living Story some kinf of TV Series Format of storytelling, it would be also nic,e if they learn to add more oftenly some new characters, switching characters in and out more oftenly, instead of presentign us always the same few more or less good characters that are splitting up the community in likes and dislikes massively with the tone currently being, that most people I hear here and ingame - me included wantign to see some characters to "die", cause theyl iterally have no personality, no real character improvement over time and or/are just annoying AF due to their bad storytelling **cough** Braham **cough**

- WvW would have 3 completely different looking Border Maps with each side having their own Theme and Eternal Battlefield becoming merged with EotM as the one and only Map that has a Castle in the Middle, should always be accessible!!. WvW should receive also like WvW some kind of "Lobby Area, which can be used by WvW then there also for their 1v1-Duels as also GvG-Battles

- PvP would provide more depthful Play Modes, than only Deatchmatch and Conquest. There are much more interestign PvP Concepts, that could make fun and should get provided in GW2 2v2, 3v3 , 8v8 (like in original GW1), Last Man Standing, Hunger Games (2v2v2v2v2v2 ...) and so on. PvP must grow and must become more interestign, it can#t stay forever being just the same... and to thing belongs also making something better and more depthful out of Stronghold as a PvP Sub Mode!!

- Fractals would be seen finally by Anet as the kind of huge potential game content jackpot for freedom of design, that it is, with that anet could kind of add anythign into the game for interesting new gameplay modes, features ect. via Fractals, like Monster Hunter Style like Hunt Maps withreally big monsters to find on nowhere seen before on any other GW2 map on a whle different proportion... Dungeon Crawler Fractals, where entering them is everytime you do a complete new and different experience, instead of permanently beign one and the same boring stuff like we have no, that is only interesting the first like 2-3 times and after that not at all anymore, cause youve seen already everythign ,uve done already everything in them and do them then only for the grind of rewards/gold - hooray, how whas that once againß you swing a sword, oh, and you swung it again and again and again.. fractals in a nutshell ..

- Players would receive finally full power over their complete own **Privacy** in this Game by becoming able to manage their own Friend and especially Follower List by becoming just able to DELETE people from the Follower List and keep it clean from people you donm#t want to see on it by being SELF able to decide. who can follow me, by having to receive a request first that if I say No, then this means also a no and that nobody I don't know who wants to follow me, most likely only for WvW abusal to see where I am, can't follow me via Follower List to the map I switched over

and some other points, but this list shows good enough ,that GW2 is far away from being a "perfect game", whith these points fixed, it would at least be alot closer to "perfect" in my own personal view, that has to be said last, cause naturaly I can speak only for myself here.

> @"Sylent.3165" said:

> > @"Yamazuki.6073" said:

> > Something to consider, Guild Wars 2 only seems like it is one of the best MMORPGs because almost every other MMORPG is an absolute failure, in addition to the fact the genre hasn't had many major changes despite how old it is. Most MMORPGs have been a copy/paste of older MMORPGs with a different skin, they add absolutely nothing new to the genre, and have zero long term focus for success.

> >

> > Guild Wars 2 has many areas it can improve on, but it lacks the competition in the genre to really have to improve right away. WoW has already peaked due to being too large, FFXIV isn't going to take anything from GW2 at this point, and there's no major MMORPGs being released anytime soon other than more generic Korean grinding simulators that run horribly.

>

> Wow and final fantasy 14 still have more active players then gw2.

>

> Ashes of creation is a western mmo coming out that has high hopes as it's a western game not a Korean horrible grind fest of garbage.

Yes, the problem is that is a open world PvP game from my understanding which is a major turn off for a lot of players. I know I won't be touching it since I avoid those kinds of games, and I don't think I am the only one that way. Basically, it will become a niche game because of that.