And a symbol of language (not of the country, by the client's language)?

Playing 'guess the language' on the internet is fun! You get to find out how many ways can you say 'do you speak (language)' in languages other than your own?

One time I did that and I forgot to do it in French. Yes, my high school french class was pretty meh and forgettable.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

...but when your language is not the most spoken, nor the main one in the game, it is quite difficult and annoying. Also, not everyone knows multiple languages.

A "Latino server" is one of the most common requests by Spanish speakers, but since that is not going to happen (because the sub-server system), this is an OPTION (which you can disable).

I'd find this very useful!

Partially because my main character is called Danielle Aurorel and apparently it looks French, which often leads to people whispering me in French and me having to remember enough French to type back that I don't speak French. (I can _say_ "Je suis désolé, je suis anglais et ne parle pas français" but I can never remember how to write it.)

But also for getting across to people during meta-events that you can't assume everyone on the map speaks the same language.

Edit: Also there are dedicated Spanish servers, the ones with [sP] in the name. But maybe only on EU servers.

> @"Aavataris.5720" said:

> _(translated into Google from Spanish to English)_

> And if you add to the **side of the name a color point / flag / acronym / symbol of the language spoken by each player** (**according to the Client**, the 4 or 5 languages ​​by default) ??

> And with the **OPTION** that you can hide if you want to remain "anonymous lenguage" or not interested in seeing the language of others.

This would become overwhelming when players speak multiple languages; two, three, or four icons would be rather a lot, no?

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Aavataris.5720" said:

> > _(translated into Google from Spanish to English)_

> > And if you add to the **side of the name a color point / flag / acronym / symbol of the language spoken by each player** (**according to the Client**, the 4 or 5 languages ​​by default) ??

> > And with the **OPTION** that you can hide if you want to remain "anonymous lenguage" or not interested in seeing the language of others.

>

> This would become overwhelming when players speak multiple languages; two, three, or four icons would be rather a lot, no?

As the OP said in the post you quoted the language symbol would be determined by the client. If you have it set to English it shows the English symbol, if you have it set to French it shows French etc. So it's only showing 1 per person.

I don't see the point of adding a language flag ingame. It takes development resources, adds to visual clutter, risks increasing segregation and won't even be remotely reliable. For example, I could play with a client in my mother tongue, but for convenience (and because translations usually are crap) I always run the English client. Someone else already mentioned people who want to improve their skills in a certain language. Last but not least, what about people for whose mother tongue there is no client?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > > @"Aavataris.5720" said:

> > > _(translated into Google from Spanish to English)_

> > > And if you add to the **side of the name a color point / flag / acronym / symbol of the language spoken by each player** (**according to the Client**, the 4 or 5 languages ​​by default) ??

> > > And with the **OPTION** that you can hide if you want to remain "anonymous lenguage" or not interested in seeing the language of others.

> >

> > This would become overwhelming when players speak multiple languages; two, three, or four icons would be rather a lot, no?

>

> As the OP said in the post you quoted the language symbol would be determined by the client. If you have it set to English it shows the English symbol, if you have it set to French it shows French etc. So it's only showing 1 per person.

In which case, it won't be useful, will it? Many people speak more than one language, and if the goal is to ensure that the people in a group can communicate through a common language... excluding, for example, a French speaker who also has perfect English will ... not so much help, no?

"Client language" is not a useful indicator of anything other than the language a player prefers to read in. It is certainly not uncommon for people to play the non-translated versions of games, in the original English, because of *cough* quality of translation issues, as another example of a shortfall in this plan.

If you don't actually care about covering the languages that someone can communicate in, that ... is troublesome, to me. Suggests a goal other than ensuring communication may be in play.

There is also the issue of support. Sure, there are only a few languages if you count the big ones, but once you start counting every language it gets to be a large list ... not only that the list is constantly changing with new dialects and languages dying.

I would suggest taking a page from what RP people want rather than have yet another icon over people. Have profiles, one page can be generic stuff (like free form text of what language) and another page specific to that character. More stuff would be wanted in the profile of course but it would solve a lot of different problems.

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> There is also the issue of support. Sure, there are only a few languages if you count the big ones, but once you start counting every language it gets to be a large list ... not only that the list is constantly changing with new dialects and languages dying.

>

> I would suggest taking a page from what RP people want rather than have yet another icon over people. Have profiles, one page can be generic stuff (like free form text of what language) and another page specific to that character. More stuff would be wanted in the profile of course but it would solve a lot of different problems.

Then you start getting into political issues of which flag for what language in some cases ...

it should be an optional feature, activatable in the Options Menu, that should make it possible for players to decide personalyl for themself, if a Flag Symbol of their nationality should be shown to others (Friends ect) when looking at the Account Names, so example.1111 / Flag Symbol of Example Land, when activated and the flag symbol simpyl disappears, when deactivated and everythign is, as it is like now for that player then.