Eater of Souls - The Departed

Orimidu.9604

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ivana Twinkle.5390" said:

> this is a really awfully balance boss. As a mesmer i don't have the dps to actually do much and my CC's casting times are too slow to hit him in the second or so is bar is blue before he murders me.

As a mesmer, summon 3 clones and break with f3, its' almost instantaneous and breaks the bar fast enough.

> @steveway.3167 said:

> I just spent 2 hours on my ranger trying to kill this boss. I think it needs to be tuned done or at least reduce the amount of healing he does to himself.

I just killed him on my ranger in about five minutes. Just learn how to bar break. It really isn't that hard.

I did this fight yesterday, one attempt, no deaths, no downed, I had zero CC (not broke his bar even once), used no exploits.

I used a Weaver with a Staff and ranged attacks, when he did the tether thing I dodged, the tether is removed when you dodge. The other attacks deal no damage so there is no reason to dodge anything other the tether. Really easy fight

As a Holosmith it took me like a minute to kill him, and was one of the easiest fights I had in the entire expansion thus far. All I did is bash his head in using melee, while running in circles around him. When he jumped at me, that's when I would run away from him and use my both dodges to negate the damage of the beam. Afterwards I'd just reengage. I wasn't timing any skills or interrupts either, I just used basic abilities off cooldown as he melted away. Didn't even need to use any utilities, aside from elite empowered prime light beam at the start of a fight, and it wasn't even off cooldown as he died.

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > What exactly are you asking for, "boss" fights that are so undertuned that literally every build can 1-1-1-... through them? Because that could be someone's way, eh? That's unreasonable.

> Solo content should be soloable with whatever you normally play, absolutely. If it's good enough for pve, it should be enough for story. Nothing unreasonable about that.

>

> Solo content hat clearly favors certain professions and playstyles is unreasonable, and that's exactly what we have here.

Nope. You can beat it with any profession, using any reasonable build. If it was as easy as you want, it would be breaking the immersion. "Yeah, right, god of war/whatever, I'll just leave my char to autoattack you while I go get some coffee". If there's no chance of failure, if the fight doesn't feel dangerous, it will fail to deliver the story.

Furthermore, it is simply boring. That's poor gameplay design. You don't want your players bored, you want them entertained.

So no, it is unreasonable. On many levels.

> @Feanor.2358 said:

> > @Zaltys.7649 said:

> > > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > What exactly are you asking for, "boss" fights that are so undertuned that literally every build can 1-1-1-... through them? Because that could be someone's way, eh? That's unreasonable.

> > Solo content should be soloable with whatever you normally play, absolutely. If it's good enough for pve, it should be enough for story. Nothing unreasonable about that.

> >

> > Solo content hat clearly favors certain professions and playstyles is unreasonable, and that's exactly what we have here.

>

> Nope. You can beat it with any profession, using any reasonable build. If it was as easy as you want, it would be breaking the immersion. "Yeah, right, god of war/whatever, I'll just leave my char to autoattack you while I go get some coffee". If there's no chance of failure, if the fight doesn't feel dangerous, it will fail to deliver the story.

>

> Furthermore, it is simply boring. That's poor gameplay design. You don't want your players bored, you want them entertained.

>

> So no, it is unreasonable. On many levels.

I agree. Personally I found the fight to be fast and boring, ignoring mechanics other than jump/beam. Break bar lol wut?

Actually Balthazaar fight was a lot more difficult and engaging, yet it was also one of the biggest let downs I experienced in this game. After busting my ass off to beat him I am forced to lose and die just so I can see cinematic, and still get NOTHING for it in terms of reward? That fight was fun, dynamic and interactive... until I realized I cannot die or fail it (except by standing in the ring of fire) which completely killed it for me. For that fight to be just an excuse for a cinematic is way too drawn out and difficult (until you realize you are "immortal" that is). It didn't help I had to do it four times due to bugs either.

Comparatively I hear a lot of people complain how you cannot melee him or how hard that is. How you need ranged weapons just to even consider the fight. I skipped all mechanics as melee aside from beam which i did negated with dodges and running out of its range. That's it. Otherwise I just danced around him with my pig sticker poking him repetitively with my basic abilities until he died... under a minute, as a melee. I had more problems with open world monsters with all their CCs, ranged attacks and zone attacks.

>

> Comparatively I hear a lot of people complain how you cannot melee him or how hard that is. How you need ranged weapons just to even consider the fight. I skipped all mechanics as melee aside from beam which i did negated with dodges and running out of its range. That's it. Otherwise I just danced around him with my pig sticker poking him repetitively with my basic abilities until he died... under a minute, as a melee. I had more problems with open world monsters with all their CCs, ranged attacks and zone attacks.

IT IS EASY IF YOU REALIZE THE MECHANIC

The heal only heals if you are at any point within 400 range when he is pulling you into him.

He pulls after his leap/stomp thing each time.

When you see blue circle for him being about to jump/stomp run out. He pull start pulling you in. Keep running out. As long as you do not get within about 400 range you are OK and his healing is zero or very minimal.

Did this as spellbreaker spamming nothing but dagger 1. That is how easy it is.

You just have to watch the first couple times he heals and realize what is actually happening. Why there is a pull mechanic and not something else. That this means range much be part of the healing mechanic.

Very easy.

> @childeric.6391 said:

> Which seems to me totally ridiculous is that this boss is almost impossible to kill with the new elem spec if you have sword/dagger... Could be quite easy with the staff... Not this difficult to do... Can't even swap my weapon....

Cleans your conditions after he leaps and you won't have any problem after that.

I had avoided spoilers but once heading to the fight did look at Dulfy for the mechanics. Which I then mostly ignored. I was on Daredevil with P/P (and staff, but never used it). No CC needed AT ALL, guys. All I had to do was run away when he started the tether, using dodge and Bandit's Defense to block him. Then his blue bar went away on its own without healing him, I turned and Unloaded, used steal-stealth and heal-stealth to pew pew more. It took a little while but I never felt any real danger. And this is my LS alt that eats the most dirt and loses the most armor in the fights.

Short version: stick to ranged weapon, get very far from him during the tether until his blue bar is gone, and block or dodge his jump attack. I hope that helps.

It is WAY too long a chapter, I think it should be split right after the Balty fight. My complaint is the chapter design, I actually loved the story.

For Balt, I just melee (as a ranged built ranger, because I like pain) him, die next to him, re-spawn and repeat. I find it hard believe this was the intention of the developers. It's a boring as heck encounter.

As mentioned before I spent WAY more time looking for weapons after I died than doing anything else.

The Eater of Souls fight sucked until I read how to beat it. I don't think you should ever have to research an encounter before fighting it. (I know that's a minority option here, there's no need to add how you one shot him while naked using a level 10 weapon). That's when playing a game turns into a job.

I'm not sure why a large number of people are having issues with him. I used my zerker longbow druid that use the lightning wyvern and beat him in 2mins. I was able to burst him down. I'm going to soon beat him with my knight herald. If ur having issues use some range and lots of cc if ur not cc'ing properly ur hurting yourself.

I've seen a lot of "keep your distance" suggestions. I tried that the first time and had no luck. The boss would always run up to me at supersonic speed and tether me with his drain attack, even while I was running from him. The best I did was get him down to 42% health and he went back up to 92%. After fighting him for about a half hour, I gave up and let him kill me so I could leave the instance. Keeping myself alive wasn't too much of a problem. His self healing was the main issue.

But then the next day I tried again and freaking cheesed him down. On my ranger using longbow, I just walked backwards in circles while auto attacking him. As soon as I saw his breakbar I hit him with Point Blank Shot, then wailed on his ass with Rapid Fire. A few more times and he was dead. Only took me a couple minutes and he didn't get to use his drain attack a single time.

I also had switched to Soulbeast elite spec prior to my second attempt and used Bear Stance as my heal skill. The condi removal really helped prevent the vulnerability from stacking up on me. The first time I fought him I could clear the vulnerability, but I'd have 20+ stacks on me again before my condi clear was off cooldown.

Here is the exact build I used: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNUQJATRnE8CtCi1CCO8CctglFB7JKcCeZ5L3nb2dpFEAOan8t0tA-jxRBQBmUJYGV+9gLBQ+0FAgnAQCV/5J7PEA4AgrDAA-e

As others have said, this boss is super friggen easy if you can find a way to do it. My suggestion is to take decent condi clear (or good survivability), and something like a stun or daze attack with a very short activation time (like ranger longbow skill #4 or ranger greatsword skill #5). You don't want to use anything like the mesmer's Signet of Humility. It is very good on breakbars throughout the game, but takes too long to cast. Also, doing decent damage helps. But the main thing is to hit his breakbar to prevent his drain attack. Save your stuns/dazes and all only for his breakbar so you always have something off cooldown. Even with poor DPS you can take him down easily, though it will take a bit longer. Keeping your distance isn't really a good strategy since it it can make the fight take way longer than necessary and cause frustration.

> @Ahlen.7591 said:

> I never understood how wide the skill gap is in this community until this thread.

You must not have been around for the caudecus fight complaints.

Any time Anet implements a boss that has literally any mechanics other than stand still and press 1 to kill it, a large portion of the community suddenly emerges that is shockingly incapable of understanding even the most simple mechanics.

Seriously, some of you need to get off your high horse. I applaud those that are being helpful, but as a player who was dormant for four years and only started playing again last month, I have to say the uppity attitude of some is what I hate in this game. How will we ever learn? It takes tons of Internet research just to find out what to do. Even then I can find very little plain English help with build suggestions. Most is in indecipherable acronyms and code words more complicated than military lingo.

I resent having to do oodles of research just learning the lingo and strategy for what should be a casual game. I know some of you serious players have different ideas and that is fine. But what is wrong with having a life away from the game and wanting the game to be fun and not a slog? I should be able to get the idea about the mechanic without tons of research. It also seems to me that this boss life steal was near constant. I could call maybe one or two skills before his vacuum started up, because I spent the rest of the time running.

Go ahead and tell me I'm a bad player, but I only beat this by trapping him in the cage. It was impossible otherwise. I doubt this is what the devs had in mind for this fight. It was boring once I trapped him. And it would be useful to know what CC means in terms of what skills you are talking about. I'm an ele Weaver with sword / dagger and near as I can tell, there are not many skills on that build to break the bar.

I'll wear my bad player badge with pride, seeing as I've really only played two months. So go ahead and tell me how badly I stink, but stop gloating already and start helping out.

> @"Fantasia Badass.4765" said:

> Seriously, some of you need to get off your high horse. I applaud those that are being helpful...

To be fair, the OP didn't ask for any help. Just declared it an impossible fight. :(

My suggestion is to go find out what the top PvE builds are. I would do that for any MMO or other game. It helps for more than a single fight. Someone else did work on figuring out those builds so it isn't necessary to do oodles of research.

> Seriously, some of you need to get off your high horse. I applaud those that are being helpful, but as a player who was dormant for four years and only started playing again last month, I have to say the uppity attitude of some is what I hate in this game. How will we ever learn? It takes tons of Internet research just to find out what to do. Even then I can find very little plain English help with build suggestions. Most is in indecipherable acronyms and code words more complicated than military lingo.

>

> I resent having to do oodles of research just learning the lingo and strategy for what should be a casual game. I know some of you serious players have different ideas and that is fine. But what is wrong with having a life away from the game and wanting the game to be fun and not a slog? I should be able to get the idea about the mechanic without tons of research. It also seems to me that this boss life steal was near constant. I could call maybe one or two skills before his vacuum started up, because I spent the rest of the time running.

>

> Go ahead and tell me I'm a bad player, but I only beat this by trapping him in the cage. It was impossible otherwise. I doubt this is what the devs had in mind for this fight. It was boring once I trapped him. And it would be useful to know what CC means in terms of what skills you are talking about. I'm an ele Weaver with sword / dagger and near as I can tell, there are not many skills on that build to break the bar.

>

> I'll wear my bad player badge with pride, seeing as I've really only played two months. So go ahead and tell me how badly I stink, but stop gloating already and start helping out.

>

>

You're absolutely right. I've played 5 years and I'm absolutely sick when I see what I've seen in these threads. Not everyone is a serious player, researching, making builds or looking up builds. They want to play through the story, maybe have a bit of difficulty and move on.

I myself found the Balthazar fight pretty easy with a mesmer, though annoying as I realized right away it was a Destiny Fight (my term for, losing is apart of the story).

"Git Gud" is for other games and other communities and quite honestly it's a trashy attitude that I hate when I see and don't think it needs to be apart of GW2. The Devs want as many people as possible to play their games and have fun and if that sucks for you or think that brings down the skill, go play a harder game you have to pay for every month.

I did find the Mouth of Zhaitan reskin fight difficult. I came here for research. After I found a bunch of people being condescending, I just said forget it and struggled on my own.

For any casual players having trouble, just take some time to find out which of your skills will affect the blue bar. It might seem frustrating to do that in fight, but you can do it. You might die a few times, that's okay. I understand that it's a very long story portion. In fact, go out and try it on event enemies or regular enemies. Just taking some time and reading what your skills can do will really help! Trial and error goes a long way to understanding your favorite class.

I was whooping that beasts ass but when he got stuck behind Joko's cage I let him stay there and time well'd his ass to death for the remaining 30%. If you want to do something slow like that (and it is slow) no shame in your game. If you can kill it in 2 minutes, wow. Go you. I'm sure you racked up a bunch of achievements under the do X under Y minute category.

But no shaming, no git gud-ing.

Anet constantly changes things for more inclusivity and if people are turned off here or by the attitudes of people in game or the game play, that defeats their over all purpose.

> I'll wear my bad player badge with pride, seeing as I've really only played two months. So go ahead and tell me how badly I stink, but stop gloating already and start helping out.

For the record, I'm not a great player and I don't like the 'git gud scrub' mentality. That being said, in the snip of your quote, you seem to be asking other players to do the research and summation for you that you don't want to do yourself.

Also, consider that you get what you (general you) put out. The OP, while understandably frustrated, started this thread with some pretty bold statements that aren't true. My reaction times are poor at best. When I did the instance, I had another person with me. After several frustrating wipes, my party member found a basic strategy on these very boards that I was able to implement and win the fight while they helplessly sat on the sidelines because the party member abilities are pretty much crap in this fight. But I still got it. So, it's not impossible and yes people are offering help. In any internet community, you're going to have trolls and those people who just like to be condescending, but writing off the mountains of help that has been put out in this thread and others like it, is kinda wrong too.

We all understandably get frustrated with the game and the negativity that gets thrown around, but it's going to happen on any side. Is a player that isn't 'good' demanding everything gets nerfed to suit their skill level or demanding other players tell them how to win any better than 'l2p' comments? I say this as someone who *hated* traversing HoT and didn't do much beyond the story until Anet decreasing some of the difficulty there. But I also asked what CC meant when I didn't know and took the time to look it up on wiki for my class because expecting some stranger to do it for me wasn't right either.

Anet needs a better ingame tutorial for Crowd Control and Defiance Bars. I think that whole heartedly, but that's not the fault of other players.

I did this a few days ago on tempest but I didn't bother with the breakbar for too long. First time I died trying to breakbar but the second time I reserved burning retreat to negate the life leech and used dodges only for his slam attacks. Apart from these two things it was pretty much standard hit while kiting/aoe fields and overloads. What I'm trying to say is maybe if you have decent damage output just go all out while watching out for heavy hits.

I have already made like two posts in here with the mechanics of the fight, so I will link that section. However, I want to talk about the issues of builds and what not.

Just as with Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire requires EXOTIC OR HIGHER RARITY ITEMS. Sure, if you are god tier you can get away with lower but there is no reason for you to be wearing any lower than exotic anyway. It is easily accessible via the trading post and if you need help with what stats you think you should get ask map chat or hell send me message and I will help you out and if you need verbal help I will send you an invite to my guild's discord and we can help you get set up BASED ON WHAT YOU LIKE FOR ABILITIES ON YOUR CHARACTERS, NOT JUST WHAT WE SUGGEST.

Stats should match your build, it's like that in many games. If you are wearing Beserker's (Power, Precision, Ferocity) gear and all of your abilities that you enjoy are condition based skills, you are going to be at a huge disadvantage. You really gotta look at what you are equipping with what skills and traits you have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that is out of the way, lets get down to the fight mechanics for a third time:

> @hellsqueen.3045 said:

> He heals less to none at all the further away you stand when he does his sucking ability.

> My friend did the instance and we stood back and he was only healing for small amount.

> When his stun bar appears just keep running until he does his sucking ability and then after that stun him for the extra damage and then repeat this step.

> My friend had times where he healed none at all. This was on a Hybrid Soldier/Beserker Holosmith with Sword and Shield, so no ungodly DPS.

> We took time to pay attention to the mechanics of the fight. Don't just stand there and let his attacks hit you often use ranged if you have trouble with getting away on melee and have a decent stun.

> @hellsqueen.3045 said:

> > @kayeferr.1745 said:

> > I agree worked on this boss for 2 hours and could not kill him so now I have a story I can not complete. I used to do all my chars through the story lines because I enjoyed the story but now I wish I had never purchased the new expansion and will for sure NOT encourage anyone else to buy it ...I Need A Refund

>

> It isn't impossible to complete.

> He has obvious tells that you can use to avoid his two healing attacks which then you can slowly damage him down between his major health stealing attacks.

> My friend spent most of the time running and when he ran from the major attack it would heal no more than 3% and usually it healed no percentage and then once the attack is over, you can attack and then decide to stun him so you can get the extra damage debuff to knock him down a huge portion and then you repeat, avoid attacks and capitalize when the time is right.

> This boss is designed for one person to do, if you have friends, make them stay away because they have no way to counter many of the abilities.

> If you can't do it solo, than the fault is with you not understanding timing and the mechanics of the fight. Find someone who can do it and let them lead instead and fight it for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for what I read about ranger's pets healing the boss, I would like to know if minions or illusions do the same.

Reason being is no where else in the game does a life-steal ability effect the pet/minion or illusions as the player cannot control where it stands.

Just look at Heart of Thorns and Silverwastes/Dry Top with the Mordrem Leeching Thrasher:

"Vampiric Cloud - The thrasher flies a small distance up before diving towards the ground, flying in circles while creating a poison field that damages enemies. Nearby mordrem are healed whenever a player is damaged by the field. 360 radius. 6 second recharge."

This ability does not effect minions, pets or illusions, just player.

Same with the life steal on the Vampire Bats and Vampire Beasts.

If this boss does in fact steal health from minions, pets and illusions then it should be reported as a bug.