How do dragons reproduce? And some questions about dragons.

the elder dragons are much less 'dragon' than the rest of their species.

There's far more than just the few we know. From GW1 we know at least 2 undead dragons in tyria that aren't Zhaitan's or Khilbron's.

Then there's the Kirin, the Celestial, and some other dragons in Cantha.

And of course Glint's kind.

I feel like the six elder dragons are more about sentient engines of magic taking form, than being actual dragons.

Of course there are no facts stipulated, so many people will have different views of the elder dragons.

The elder dragons are possibly even only dragon in name. They seem so vastly different from all “real dragons” you encounter. They seem more akin to physical manifestations of the forces of nature (which, on Tyria, are the forces of magic).

Perhaps they were regular primordial dragons that existed long before and, like the human gods, ascended into “elder dragonhood” and became to embody magic (much like the human gods embody various spheres such as war).

> @"accelerated.3581" said:

> I'm intrigued,

>

> * How did the elder dragons 'specialize' into their respective elements?

> * Are they asexual? If not, is Aurene the last of her line? How can she possibly find a mate?

>

> Thanks!

Well, when a mommy dragon and a daddy dragon have a night to themselves...

> I'm intrigued,

>

> * Are they asexual? If not, is Aurene the last of her line? How can she possibly find a mate?

>

> Thanks!

Would suggest also posting/moving this in the Lore section, you might get more relevant answers there.

A couple of notes you can find in the PoF story left behind by Batlhazar's army gives credit to Kralkattorik for siring Vlast, and we recognize him, and Aurene, as the children of Glint. Additionally we know they are birthed from eggs. We additionally give male and female traits to some of the dragons, hence why we call Vlast the son of glint and brother of Aurene. Those are about as many facts as I know, but from the evidence shown it appears that sexual reproduction is how dragons reproduce. That, or it's magic.

As far as the elements of the dragons are concerned it may be that there are multiple species of dragons that each correlate to those elements, and that various isolation mechanics would prevent interbreeding, or it's magic.

As far as I'm aware Aurene is not the last of her kind, as she is of the same species as all the other crystal dragons, however she is not corrupted like they are. Perhaps we as players will be able to find a way to remove the corruption from dragons so everyone can live in harmony.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > @"accelerated.3581" said:

> > I'm intrigued,

> >

> > * How did the elder dragons 'specialize' into their respective elements?

> > * Are they asexual? If not, is Aurene the last of her line? How can she possibly find a mate?

> >

> > Thanks!

>

> Well, when a mommy dragon and a daddy dragon have a night to themselves...

....and they love each other **_very much..._**

I think that the general theory is that Dragons are a species that are particularly good at absorbing magic, and that 6 of them managed to absorb enough to become Elder Dragons.

This means that at one time Jormag was just like Aurene but eventually ate enough magic to warp into a giant monstrosity that embodies the type of magic that he ate the most of.

This would suggest that while non-Elder Dragons lay eggs and reproduce, Elder Dragons have mutated beyond that point.

> I'm intrigued,

>

>

> Thanks!

I'm gonna offer some speculation on this. So I don't think the elder dragons "specialized" into their elements but are more like elements personified(dragonfied?). They are like forces of nature. They aren't inheritanlty good or evil. They work like a system of checks and balances. When too much magical energy is in Tyria the dragons awaken and consume that energy like a giant battery. Once they absorb enough they go back to sleep and the energy slowly releases back into the world. Sometimes, different species get caught up in this and can get killed off but you can tell by the dragons behavior right now that it's not really them focusing on a particular race, it's just "are these people in my way? Then I crush them" kind of thing.

As for how they reproduce I remember reading something about their champions are basically super corrupted member of a species. So like the champion Claw of Jormag was just some ordinary dragon that Jormag corrupted and now creates more dragon minions. Then we have an odd ball like Glint that has laid eggs. It's possible that Vlast and Aurene were crystals on her body that she placed inside of an egg to be infused with magical energy to grow and become their own sentient being. So these elder dragons and their champions are really just reproducing by infusing a living thing with their magical energy to become either dragon minions or dragon spawn.