[SPOILERS] Discussion about "The Weapon" and the Legacy of Glint

Fundor.2098

So, I think we can all agree that the weapon Vlast refers to is not the Dragonblood Spear (made of Kralkatorrik's own blood for the sole purpose of killing him), which the commander and the gang destroy at Glint's Lair. It doesn't match Vlast's description... pretty much any way. There's a lot of great discussion about this in [here](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/6841/the-weapon-vlast-refers-to-during-the-sacrifice-is-not-the-spear/p1 "here").

So what could the weapon possibly be then? I collected some of the best quotes from the game referring and dancing around the topic, and by doing that I found out that it seems to tie very closely to the very purpose of Glint's Legacy... and then expand it.

**From Vlast's memory crystals**, without the commander's commentary:

>Vlast: To hold the weapon is to hold the fate of Tyria in your hands—the power to change the shape of the world.

>Vlast: Potent enough to fell the Elder Dragons. Its might should not be taken lightly.

>Vlast: It was created so mortals could do the work of dragons, of our line.

>Vlast: To combat cataclysmic power and prevent the destruction of all life.

>Vlast: He seeks it for the wrong purpose. We're not ready.

>Vlast: My sister, the mantle is heavy—at times, too heavy to bear. But Mother believed, so we must endure.

>Vlast: If you discover yourself—

>Vlast: If you've found these crystals, it means I've failed before we met. For this, I apologize.

>Vlast: I would have enjoyed the company in the desert skies.

>Vlast: I hear you have chosen a Champion. They will need this when the world tips.

>Vlast: The death of the jungle dragon has accelerated our sire's rise.

>Vlast: The god of fire continues to pursue me. I fear he may get the weapon—if he does, the consequences will be...unpredictable.

>Vlast: I would have destroyed it, but Mother forbade me. But she never foresaw this crisis. The right path eludes me.

>Vlast: I feel trapped in this role...in this "legacy." I yearn for freedom, but I cannot turn away from these responsibilities.

>Vlast: To do so would doom the mortal races to certain destruction. And perhaps myself as well.

>Vlast: But then again...there is a kind of freedom in death, is there not?

>Vlast: Kralkatorrik continues to grow in power, and our mother's death remains unavenged. When the time comes to—

>Vlast: I wonder, Sister...are your Exalted attendants shaping you as they shaped me? Have their words taken hold of your heart?

>Vlast: Do you feel the weight of those words grow heavier with every passing moment?

>Vlast: Some advice: if you grow weary of your caretakers, offer a hiss or a swat of your tail and watch them scatter.

>Vlast: Do not let them—or yourself—forget what you are.

>Vlast: Your Champion...fills me with curiosity. Perhaps because my own never appeared.

>Vlast: The Exalted gave me purpose, but no true connection to it.

>Vlast: I hope you fare better, my sister. I hope you feel full of purpose. Most days, all I feel is anger.

**And a bit from Glint's memory crystals:**

>Glint: Vlast, my child. Your birth begins a new age. A new design.

>Glint: I sense Kralkatorrik stirring in its sleep. Could it know what I'm planning? What you're meant for?

>Glint: Time grows short. I fear what will happen when the Elder Dragon awakens. And I'm sorry you must bear this burden.

>Glint: Prophecy is not always a gift. Often I see things I wish I hadn't. But when the vision is clouded, I am most uneasy.

>Glint: The heroes have gathered, and Kralkatorrik approaches.

>Glint: I am not yet prepared to face the Elder Dragon—and distressingly, I cannot see beyond the coming battle.

>Glint: Is it because I die? I can't die without finishing my work. I have to stop Kralkatorrik.

>Glint: The Forgotten told me much, but not everything... What did they tell the Six? What do the gods know that I do not?

>Glint: So much is unclear, but I'm out of time. I must keep my faith, and hope that my children will carry on my legacy.

**And within Kesho we learn more about the legacy:**

>Josso Essher: Glint was the key.

>Josso Essher: She was perfect for our purposes—a scion of an Elder Dragon and a Crystal Dragon herself, with a mind of her own.

>Josso Essher: We did our work well. Glint actively rejected Kralkatorrik, and she brought forth more scions to join our cause.

>Sadizi: That was Josso Essher, one of the legacy's main architects. Sadly, he was lost in the attempt to convert Kralkatorrik.

>The Commander: Wait. "Convert" Kralkatorrik?

>Sadizi: Yes. The Forgotten dared to try, but the hunger of the Elder Dragons is too strong. It proved a tragic failure.

>Vlast: Kesho is supposed to be my home, but it's more of a cage...or a tomb. I prefer the open sky.

>Vlast: I feel trapped here. This place reminds me that I cannot act, no matter how eager I am. Not until the full legacy is ready.

>Vlast: I can't stand it any longer. The constant talk of duty and destiny, the forced reverence. It disgusts me. Enrages me.

>Vlast: My Exalted attendants are durable, but still mortal...insignificant. They quake with fear at the slightest angry hiss.

>Vlast: (snarl) I have a job to do, and the power to do it. They can't help me. Why do they pretend they can?

>Sadizi: Sadly, Vlast matured in isolation. We didn't know how to socialize him properly until it was too late.

>Sadizi: By the time we realized Vlast needed to bond with mortal races as Glint had, he no longer could...nor cared to.

>Vlast: Sadizi and the others tell me I must wait, that before the real work begins, the whole legacy must ripen and mature.

>Vlast: I am ready now. Kralkatorrik continues to grow in power, and my mother's death stands unavenged.

>Vlast: But I am my mother's son. I will wait. I will serve the glorious purpose she and the Forgotten set for me.

>Vlast: Though the snakes and their golden servants speak as though it is their purpose, and Glint merely lent it her name.

>Vlast: So in her name, I will act. Until the full legacy is ready, I will contain Kralkatorrik and cull its Branded horde.

>Sadizi: The millennia-long Elder Dragon cycle is one of feast and famine. Ravenous, they rise. Sated, they sleep.

>Sadizi: Glint and the Forgotten set out to break this cycle of extremes and to restore true balance.

>Sadizi: But when two Elder Dragons were unexpectedly eliminated from the cycle at one time, we believe it created a void.

>Sadizi: A void that caused the system to break down and the collapse to begin.

>Sadizi: The hope was that Glint's legacy would stabilize the cycle.

>Sadizi: We theorize these vacancies must be filled with entities that circulate and share magic rather than hoard it.

>Sadizi: Only then will the balance of magic truly become stable. Only then will Glint's legacy achieve its ultimate purpose.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_nhMmzVQew

**And Kormir's quote from the previous quest:**

>Kormir: Kasmeer my dear child... You never needed our help.

>Kormir: You were already on the path. Follow the trail of Vlast.

>Kormir: Restore what has been broken.

>Kormir: The answers you seek are in the desert. I wish you good fortune, Commander.

From all of this we can take:

The weapon is still intact (unless it really is the spear), as Vlast himself has wanted to destroy it, but his mother, Glint, forbade it.

The thing Kormir tells us to restore is most likely the balance of magic, which was cast into chaos after we killed Zhaitan and Mordremoth, so during the past few years. Before that happened, the original plan seems to have been pacifying the elder Dragons, which the Forgotten tried with Kralkatorrik, not ready and unprepared, thus dooming themselves to extinction

After Zhaitan and Mordremoth were killed and the balance of magic went haywire, the Forgotten theorized that "these vacancies must be filled with entities that circulate and share magic rather than hoard it." Quite straight forward: The Scions of Glint. Vlast and Aurene. Both were apparently supposed to meet their champions to bond with, which the commander does with Aurene. The bonding would most likely help them stay benevolent. Maybe the champion would even help balance the dragon through their shared connection, which we have been developing through the masteries in Living Story Season 4.

However, Vlast never met his champion and now he's dead, so even if Aurene succeeds, we still have a "vacancy" in the system.

Which is where we come back the the weapon again:

>Vlast: It was created so mortals could do the work of dragons, of our line.

>Vlast: To combat cataclysmic power and prevent the destruction of all life.

In other words: So that a mortal could take a place of a dragon from Glint's, and thus Kralkatorrik's line in the balance of magic? So that they could combat the power of the other Elder Dragons and prevent them from devouring all magic from the world and in doing so, destroying all life?

>Vlast: To hold the weapon is to hold the fate of Tyria in your hands—the power to change the shape of the world

By using the weapon they'd be able to change the shape of the world... could it mean the shape of "[The All](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_All "The All")?"

And thus the balance could be achieved in a way Glint foresaw possible: The Elder Dragons could be "contained" by keeping them satisfied. The thing that seems to make them go all murderous seems to, after all, be their hunger for magic, which in turn we can also see in people and creatures who have been under the influence of too much [bloodstone magic](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bloodstone "bloodstone magic").

>If consumed in big enough amounts, the Bloodstone shards can use not only nausea but lead to erratic, violent behavior and symptoms that can best be described as addiction. Further exposure to Bloodstone shards will alter their consumer and turn them into a hulking abomination in a relatively short span of time and can even unleash magic that can radically alter the environment around them.

So what do you think?

Please, discuss!

> Glint: The Forgotten told me much, but not everything... What did they tell the Six? What do the gods know that I do not?

This is kinda very mysterious and intriguing too.

and this on Beast of War chapter: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beast_of_War

> : I'll never make it across on foot.

> Taimi: ...Commander...

> Taimi: ...The Exalted...(static)...the gods...

> : What just happened? Why did it get quiet?

> : Taimi? Are you still there?

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > Glint: The Forgotten told me much, but not everything... What did they tell the Six? What do the gods know that I do not?

> This is kinda very mysterious and intriguing too.

>

> and this on Beast of War chapter: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beast_of_War

> > : I'll never make it across on foot.

> > Taimi: ...Commander...

> > Taimi: ...The Exalted...(static)...the gods...

> > : What just happened? Why did it get quiet?

> > : Taimi? Are you still there?

True! We've met Taimi many times since that thing she was trying to tell us about the Exalted and the gods... Why hasn't she opened her mouth about it yet!? :D Or better yet, why wasn't it the first thing the commander asked about in the epilogue. :#

The great thing about the vague wording Anet used is that they could make it anything, or nothing at all.

I do wonder what exactly it would be, unless its something silly like the Scepter of Orr, or the Staff of Mists. And I wonder where it would be hidden as Path of Fire covered basically all of the desert region except Thirsty River, and Vlast wasn't stated to have ever gone into Elona proper.

The Scepter of Orr and The Staff of the Mists were both suggested in the topic I mentioned at the beginning.

Especially the Scepter might actually work, as it tends to affect the wielders magical powers, thus maybe being able affect the workings or flow of magic (/ley-lines?) in general? It's also said to be able to control the Titans, which would indeed provide an army to keep the Elder Dragons in check at least somehow. Funny thing, the Titans used to adapt to their surroundings, meaning they became fiery in volcanic areas, frozen in snowy areas and plantlike in the jungle. AND the Scepter seems to be able to control the undead as well, though that might just be Vizier Khilbron's own doing. All of these titan & undead aspects kind of make me think as if they were supposed to work a an opposite force to the Elder Dragon minions. The Staff of the Mists then again is said to be able to bend the fabric of reality, so it's not impossible either. Also, it was last seen cast into the abyss in the Desolation. :)

The mention of something, mighty enough to battle and balance the magic is even more interesting. Is it something that must be used constantly or is it enough to use it once every blue moon? Does it requiere a living host? Who would it need? Is it corruptable through its user?

I dont think it will be as simple as a staff or scepter in which case you could go around and wave it at dragons, changing them into big butterflies. Maybe it could be, I never played GW1 but there are quite a bunch a mighty magical gadgets or relics (The horn in Ascalon or the giant charr barbecue grills) that are fairly powerful. What if it is something todo with Abbadon? Wasn't he the one who gave the humans magic and always served for the gods as a direct connection to the mists?

The weapon could be something very old from the time the gods learned about the dragons. Which could explain Taimis: Forgotten (statics) and gods...

I need to know more give me the next LW chapter :open_mouth:

> @"Gramdulin.7302" said:

>I dont think it will be as simple as a staff or scepter in which case you could go around and wave it at dragons, changing them into big butterflies.

It's not so much a weapon that you use *against* the dragons to harm them, but a weapon/relic to do the work of dragons. Allowing you to kill them without the harmful side effects. Even if the thread does bear any fruit, we'll still be fighting forces of nature. At least, that's what I'd personally like to see. A need to secure certain magical relics and properties so we can replace elder dragons as we kill them.

That's really hard to predict although its pretty easy from those lines, we know Balthazar wasn't chasing Vlast for the weapon that Vlast mentioned because he took Aurene instead, so his plans weren't actually ruined.

Vlast says the weapon does the work of dragons : to contain huge amounts of ley energy and not let it destroy the world. Kormir said that the answers lie in the desert - probably a tome that contains forgotten knowledge.

Most chances Anet has a completely different take on everything here, either way I'm excited.

> @"Cuddy.6247" said:

> > @"Gramdulin.7302" said:

> >I dont think it will be as simple as a staff or scepter in which case you could go around and wave it at dragons, changing them into big butterflies.

>

> It's not so much a weapon that you use *against* the dragons to harm them, but a weapon/relic to do the work of dragons. Allowing you to kill them without the harmful side effects. Even if the thread does bear any fruit, we'll still be fighting forces of nature. At least, that's what I'd personally like to see. A need to secure certain magical relics and properties so we can replace elder dragons as we kill them.

>

This is what I would like to see. The Dragon's Watch using the weapon/relic to replace the Elder Dragons with a more benevolent group, one by one. Just like the Forgotten apparently planned for (at least) Zhaitan and Mordremoth. :D

I found it kinda weird they never considered the human gods for the job. Sure, Kormir said a war between the gods and the Elder Dragons would end up destroying Tyria, but would it be the same if the war was between the mortal races of Tyria and the Dragons, and the gods just worked as magic sponges? :D

> @"Fundor.2098" said:

> > @"Cuddy.6247" said:

> > > @"Gramdulin.7302" said:

> > >I dont think it will be as simple as a staff or scepter in which case you could go around and wave it at dragons, changing them into big butterflies.

> >

> > It's not so much a weapon that you use *against* the dragons to harm them, but a weapon/relic to do the work of dragons. Allowing you to kill them without the harmful side effects. Even if the thread does bear any fruit, we'll still be fighting forces of nature. At least, that's what I'd personally like to see. A need to secure certain magical relics and properties so we can replace elder dragons as we kill them.

> >

>

> This is what I would like to see. The Dragon's Watch using the weapon/relic to replace the Elder Dragons with a more benevolent group, one by one. Just like the Forgotten apparently planned for (at least) Zhaitan and Mordremoth. :D

> I found it kinda weird they never considered the human gods for the job. Sure, Kormir said a war between the gods and the Elder Dragons would end up destroying Tyria, but would it be the same if the war was between the mortal races of Tyria and the Dragons, and the gods just worked as magic sponges? :D

I don't expect this plot to be fixed by anything short of a deus ex machina.

Still mortals ARE capable of "sponging" Magic(Kormir) wich is giving them the abilitys of gods.

so why exactly are mortals not able to absorb the Magic a killed Dragon is sending off. or what circumstances have to be matched so that they savely can do.. it would be like creating a new god who is more powerfull than the old ones (cuz of the difference in freed Magic, Krallkatorric absorbed Balthasar and minor parts of Zhaitan an Mordy, absorb the Elder Crystal an ur pumped up over the top

i guess in this Scenario it is more about if the "Chosen" one is able to stay sane or not.

accordingly the Magic in bloodstones was corrupted by sacrificing too many lifes wich caused the Magic inside to corrupt ordinary beings but at the same time balthasar absorbed a large amount and his psych wasnt damaged at all (Setting his narcissm aside)

Kormir absorbed the "ill" remains off abbadon and didnt go insane so we can reach the conclusion that it is NOT absorbing Magic that is dangerous to mind and Body but the Person who is absorbing it is the danger himself.

If his inner strength is too weak then thats Person will get changed into madness. plus ist shown that already being a lifeform surpassing the "Standard" of mortality gives higher possibility of staying sane

considering this it should be possible for a mortal being to absorb a Dragons energy aftter he died and still dont go mad.

if this would actually be the case i just hope it wont be braham.. i was barely able to stand watching the fool kormir rise into the state of being a god.. and this super selfcentered whiny kittykitten evolve in.... no i defenetly could not stand that

> @"norbes.3620" said:

> Still mortals ARE capable of "sponging" Magic(Kormir) wich is giving them the abilitys of gods.

> -snip-

> Kormir absorbed the "ill" remains off abbadon and didnt go insane so we can reach the conclusion that it is NOT absorbing Magic that is dangerous to mind and Body but the Person who is absorbing it is the danger himself.

Lyssa's Muse: "The divinity is within you. And so, we give you our blessing. That should suffice for the task ahead."

Lyssa's Muse: "And to you, Kormir, a most special gift."

Lyssa's Muse: "This is your world, now. This is your decision. You must make the choice that only a mortal could make."

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gate_of_Madness#Ending_cinematic

Given the events of Season 3 and the bounties of Path of Fire, it's now pretty much confirmed that when Lyssa's Muse told Kormir that she was given a "special gift", it was more than mere words. This would explain why every human - let alone other mortals - such as the White Mantle, Zelke, and Zawadi have gone insane. Because they don't have this "special gift" that Kormir had.

It should also be noted that a god's magic is pretty different than Tyria's magic, as shown by the Astalaria collections:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cosmic_Power

This object, and the ones that create it, separate magic gifted by the gods (such as the jade wind and Foefire) separate from the dragon's magic.

And then there's other more obvious cases like the Divine Torch which seems especially dangerous to dragon minions.

So Glint is like Urza? She's constructed/collected a series of seemingly-random artifacts and machines that, when combined in some way (that makes no bloody sense other than "magic!") with a powerful airship and a robot Jesus/time-gate probe (Magic is complicated), have the power to destroy the Phyrexian... Scarab plague, once and for all. Then the robot messed it all up; decided to make his own, metal universe ("with Blackjack... and hookers..."), but accidentally carried the plague to his new world inside his own body then could do nothing but watch as the infection absorbed, mutated, and destroyed his home made home.

The similar stories between Magic (WotC in general) and Guild Wars 2 shouldn't surprise anyone...