Missing Forum buttons

Not sure what has happened, but for the last few days when logging into the forums the front main screen seems normal except I now have 3 fixed Latest News articles whereas before it was 3 or 4 plus 3 small circle buttons to move forward or back on the latest ANET posts.

Not so much a problem but .. different.

The main issue I now get though is when viewing posts or posting in discussion etc I no longer get the report option. So if I see something I think is worthy of report (doesn't happen often) or someone attacks me or posts something totally worthy of a report.. I can no longer do this.

Only option I get now are Quote, Helpful or Thumbs up.. where has the 4th option ???? Did I do something that warranted its removal.

Weird thing is, loading up the forums on my phone, the above issues do not exist so is it something that I have accidentally changed somewhere without realising.. cant think I have though.

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Well, they've been working on Vanilla forums today. That might be it.

This happened around Friday/Saturday last week, but is not evident when loading up on my mobile device (in full site mode).

Thinking its something I might of done in advertently when mashing keys but can't think what.. very odd though that the new articles and report buttons are the only things affected.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Ahh, well, it's not something the forums can fix if it's something you did. =(

> Do you use any of those add-ons, etc. that change the way the forums/web pages look?

> Try a different browser?

No I don't use addons and the website is for all I tent and purpose the same as ever... just the report button has gone and those 3 little scroll buttons by the news articles on front screen ... just weird stuff I guess

• ArenaNet Staff

I want to thank you, Bloodstealer, for your reports on this issue. As far as I know, you're the only person who is having this problem, but being the only person with a problem isn't exactly a comfort now, is it? :)

I am posting here now to ask the following: Could member take a quick peek at their options, and see if they're getting all four options: Report -- Quote -- Helpful -- Thumbs Up ? In other words, would you be able to use **Report** if you wanted to do so? Or are you not seeing that option at all?

Thanks for any additional info other members can problem And again, Bloodstealer, thanks for working with me so patiently on this issue. It took a while, but I do have that image and it's bizarrely missing the "Report" option! :o

Thanks Gaile.. Superb support.

Yep it's just kinda weird.. Report button missing as well as the Arena net latest posts has only 3 blocks showing and none of the small circles for scrolling left/right on them on the top right side of the screen next to them.

https://imgur.com/becHpeH https://imgur.com/JJfB6nE

Anyhow if anyone has any ideas.. that would be much appreciated.

One thing I said to Gaile was on occasion if I am reaching over the desk or something drops onto the keyboard and have known the F12 console to pop up (DOM explorer, debugger etc) not sure if this could of caused something to change the site for me, though I would imagine that would be kind of difficult from my side of things :)

> @"ffletcher.3468" said:

> I have all four working buttons on Firefox 59.0.2 (64 bit) if that's useful to you.

Yeah I get everything back to normal when logging on via my android phone .. but home and work PC's and laptoip all use IE.. latest version, all upto date, all drivers up to date, no malware or viruses detected.. andGW2 website is the only site I am getting issues with, so its.. goddarn pesky gremlins again!

> @"Elspereth.1280" said:

> I am also missing the report option. I know I used to have it and I have made no changes.

Check to see if you get the small scroll circles at the top right next to the ANET latest posts.. that's also missing for me.

All happened after last Friday, strangely enough during the posting in the Account Suspension thread, which had recently been posted) :)...

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > @"Elspereth.1280" said:

> > I am also missing the report option. I know I used to have it and I have made no changes.

>

> Check to see if you get the small scroll circles at the top right next to the ANET latest posts.. that's also missing for me.

>

> All happened after last Friday, strangely enough during the posting in the Account Suspension thread, which had recently been posted) :)...

Yep, only 3 listed for ANET latest posts and no way to scroll to see others.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> Both the report button and the scroll buttons on the index require javascript to see. You can press F12 to open your browser's console, which may tell you what's failing. Try clearing your browser's cache / press ctrl+F5.

Yep Java is up to date.. and yeah I can see all bottons except the ones noted as missing :)

The F12 console is where I have a hunch something caused something to cause something.. no idea what/how though.. not my field of excellence tbh.

Thanks for the info though, appreciated

> @"Elspereth.1280" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Elspereth.1280" said:

> > > I am also missing the report option. I know I used to have it and I have made no changes.

> >

> > Check to see if you get the small scroll circles at the top right next to the ANET latest posts.. that's also missing for me.

> >

> > All happened after last Friday, strangely enough during the posting in the Account Suspension thread, which had recently been posted) :)...

>

> Yep, only 3 listed for ANET latest posts and no way to scroll to see others.

So I am no longer alone in this well of darkness after all :)

> Yeah.. seems IE and GW2 website might be having some inconsistencies.. maybe just a play by MS to get us to move from IE to Edge.. yuckky

Now that you mention IE...

The problem is that they're using short form (arrow) functions, which aren't supported in IE.

In custom.js for example, they're doing this:

$.ajax(endpoint)

.done((result) => {

});

... instead of:

$.ajax(endpoint)

.done(function(result) {

});

Since IE doesn't know how to handle this, it breaks the script, hence this not working.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> Hmm. May not be at all the same thing, but when the forums went wonky for me (not the same type of wonky as you have), clearing cookies out of FireFox cured it. Give that a try, unless you're really attached to your cookies.

cookies/cache all clean and tend to keep it that way, but yeah that was one of the first things to try thanks.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > Yeah.. seems IE and GW2 website might be having some inconsistencies.. maybe just a play by MS to get us to move from IE to Edge.. yuckky

>

> Now that you mention IE...

>

> The problem is that they're using short form (arrow) functions, which aren't supported in IE.

>

> In custom.js for example, they're doing this:

>

$.ajax(endpoint)

> .done((result) => {

> ...

> });

>

> ... instead of:

>

>

$.ajax(endpoint)

> .done(function(result) {

> ...

> });

>

> Since IE doesn't know how to handle this, it breaks the script, hence this not working.

Kinda weird though as I suspect many players are using IE browser so one would think the problem would be a much wider one and likely ANET would of seen this.

It seems to be an Internet Explorer problem. I have no issues seeing the four dots for the latest ArenaNet posts in Firefox (with uBlock active!) or in Edge. Opening the index page through Edge with IE I don't see the four dots any more. I don't know if this is something that ArenaNet can solve easily. IE has always be a pain when it comes to following standards and nowadays Microsoft basically gave up on developing it. They want you to switch to Edge. Or you could be wise and change to a browser like Firefox that isn't developed by one of the big companies that have their own agenda (Microsoft, Google). That said, Chrome is probably still an improvement over Edge.

> > @"Healix.5819" said:

> > Both the report button and the scroll buttons on the index require javascript to see. You can press F12 to open your browser's console, which may tell you what's failing. Try clearing your browser's cache / press ctrl+F5.

>

> Yep Java is up to date..

This might be the issue. Java is no longer part of Sun, but is published under the GNU license. This means anyone can make updates and release them, without any control. This can lead to pretty nasty situations, believe me.

It also means that running the latest version isnt always the best either. I would suggest going back to Java 7, and slowly upgrading it to an 8 version, then a 9 version and then a lower 10 version to see which one kills these buttons.

If 7 doesnt run it properly, then skip it, cause it is unlikely that later ones will work