• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArenaNet Staff

Here are some updates as of Friday, August 24, 2018:

**Line Oddities**: I believe that the oddities with the break lines and other visual elements are now cleared up. I did have to clear cache on one browser, but not on the other, in order to see things back to normal. I've no idea what caused it, but in any case, the visual presentation should be coming through properly now.

**Carousel/Dev Tracker**: In other news, I'm continuing a lengthy discussion with Vanilla on our "Latest ArenaNet Posts" Carousel and our Dev Tracker. I know what we want, and I've spent many, many words walking them through the desired (and logical) design with precision and passion. Because yes, I'm _very_ eager to get this right and I know our forum members are, too. It seems, from an e-mail yesterday, that Vanilla has asked one of their top people to look into the whole system. Ultimately, I sense that what we have had them custom-design for us is a starting point for their implementation of a better system on a broader scale -- and that's very cheering to hear, even if the timeline is unclear and will likely be lengthy.

As a means of helping the process, I've offered to have a telephone conversation, a meeting, or to send a lengthy (ok, lengthier ;) ) e-mail or document on the subject. If there's more news on this, I'll let you know. In the meantime, thank you for your continued reports on forum issues, your well-thought feedback, and your suggestions.

i dread to even write anything in this new forum. if you are not into markdowns its hell of work to find out how to post simple things like an image, underline font, fontsize etc.

can hardly find any guide that is not already sunken to deep in the web. it takes hours to find what im looking for.

it costs to much of creative freedom for your blank white design which hurts the eyes with its brightness.

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Make a block system. Too many keyboard warriors want to cause drama and "oh i know everything, this and that!..!!" smartypants in this forums.

> Yikes, ??

>

> Also, :+1: to make us delete our own posts/comments.

If there’s a block then the person won’t be able to see the blocked person saying “They DID do that” and be able to post the quote showing they are wrong.

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Make a block system. Too many keyboard warriors want to cause drama and "oh i know everything, this and that!..!!" smartypants in this forums.

> Yikes, ??

>

> Also, :+1: to make us delete our own posts/comments.

Each time you speak up in the forums, you're not just talking to your friends but in front of the whole class. If you blurt out something silly in front of everyone, the backrow where the bullies hang out, is going to start giggling at you.

> @"Yannir.4132" said:

> > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > Make a block system. Too many keyboard warriors want to cause drama and "oh i know everything, this and that!..!!" smartypants in this forums.

> > Yikes, ??

> >

> > Also, :+1: to make us delete our own posts/comments.

>

> Each time you speak up in the forums, you're not just talking to your friends but in front of the whole class. If you blurt out something silly in front of everyone, the backrow where the bullies hang out, is going to start giggling at you.

Or, to put it another way, if someone says something that is false then they should accept in good grace a post showing their error. It’s not to the advantage of a *discussion forum* for the person who posting wrong information to either be invisible to someone who knows the correct answer or to be unable to see the correction and to continue to post the false and already corrected information, which is why blocking on the forum isn’t a reasonable request.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

>

> ?

Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> >

> > ?

>

> Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

/shrug

It’s still not their decision to make to decide whether or not a forum feature is useable by others.

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> > >

> > > ?

> >

> > Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

>

> /shrug

> It’s still not their decision to make to decide whether or not a forum feature is useable by others.

What are you on about? He wants ppl to be able to block smileys, not remove them. blocking them would mean the person that blocks them can't see them, ppl can still use/see them if they choose not to block them

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> > > >

> > > > ?

> > >

> > > Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

> >

> > /shrug

> > It’s still not their decision to make to decide whether or not a forum feature is useable by others.

>

> What are you on about? He wants ppl to be able to block smileys, not remove them. blocking them would mean the person that blocks them can't see them, ppl can still use/see them if they choose not to block them

Actually he didn’t say block he said disable and he didn’t specify whether it was disable his ability to see or if it was disable the ability of the other posters to use.

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> > > > >

> > > > > ?

> > > >

> > > > Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

> > >

> > > /shrug

> > > It’s still not their decision to make to decide whether or not a forum feature is useable by others.

> >

> > What are you on about? He wants ppl to be able to block smileys, not remove them. blocking them would mean the person that blocks them can't see them, ppl can still use/see them if they choose not to block them

>

> Actually he didn’t say block he said disable and he didn’t specify whether it was disable his ability to see or if it was disable the ability of the other posters to use.

> 2 - please let us disable smilies.

I hope you're not a native english speaker if his wording confused you on his meaning

When I've used forums that did allow you to block/hide other posters I just found it annoying. I used it occasionally but it just made it impossible to follow any topic they were posting in because everyone else was seeing and responding to posts I couldn't see. Which in turn made me look like an idiot because I'd reply having only seen part of the conversation and therefore completely misunderstanding what they were talking about. It's like trying to join in when someone else is on the phone and you can't hear the person they're talking to. I always unblocked people again within a day and went back to just skimming over their posts if I wasn't in the mood for dealing with it.

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> How about an ignore function then, when you can still see the post if you want? The forum is surviving on the fact people can flame and can't be blocked and so keep doing it.

If someone's flaming other people they should be reported, not just blocked.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ?

> > > > >

> > > > > Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

> > > >

> > > > /shrug

> > > > It’s still not their decision to make to decide whether or not a forum feature is useable by others.

> > >

> > > What are you on about? He wants ppl to be able to block smileys, not remove them. blocking them would mean the person that blocks them can't see them, ppl can still use/see them if they choose not to block them

> >

> > Actually he didn’t say block he said disable and he didn’t specify whether it was disable his ability to see or if it was disable the ability of the other posters to use.

>

> > 2 - please let us disable smilies.

>

> I hope you're not a native english speaker if his wording confused you on his meaning

Block and disable are not the same words. Block on the forum means to make a person unable to see something. However disable, which I've never seen anyone ask for before doesn’t have a usual forum definition. A formal definition is “Disable : to make ineffective or inoperative.” If he meant block he would have been best served to use the word block. Not a word that means “make ineffective or inoperative”.

Now if he meant block on his side then that’s fine. However I did ask in the original quote whether he meant block or if he meant disable, since as I’ve noted, he didn’t say and neither of us actually know.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> When I've used forums that did allow you to block/hide other posters I just found it annoying. I used it occasionally but it just made it impossible to follow any topic they were posting in because everyone else was seeing and responding to posts I couldn't see. Which in turn made me look like an idiot because I'd reply having only seen part of the conversation and therefore completely misunderstanding what they were talking about. It's like trying to join in when someone else is on the phone and you can't hear the person they're talking to. I always unblocked people again within a day and went back to just skimming over their posts if I wasn't in the mood for dealing with it.

>

> > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > How about an ignore function then, when you can still see the post if you want? The forum is surviving on the fact people can flame and can't be blocked and so keep doing it.

>

> If someone's flaming other people they should be reported, not just blocked.

I would prefer an option to not see posts which would be my choice. You or others don't need to use it.