> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > ?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

> > > > >

> > > > > /shrug

> > > > > It’s still not their decision to make to decide whether or not a forum feature is useable by others.

> > > >

> > > > What are you on about? He wants ppl to be able to block smileys, not remove them. blocking them would mean the person that blocks them can't see them, ppl can still use/see them if they choose not to block them

> > >

> > > Actually he didn’t say block he said disable and he didn’t specify whether it was disable his ability to see or if it was disable the ability of the other posters to use.

> >

> > > 2 - please let us disable smilies.

> >

> > I hope you're not a native english speaker if his wording confused you on his meaning

>

> Block and disable are not the same words. Block on the forum means to make a person unable to see something. However disable, which I've never seen anyone ask for before doesn’t have a usual forum definition. A formal definition is “Disable : to make ineffective or inoperative.” If he meant block he would have been best served to use the word block. Not a word that means “make ineffective or inoperative”.

>

> Now if he meant block on his side then that’s fine. However I did ask in the original quote whether he meant block or if he meant disable, since as I’ve noted, he didn’t say and neither of us actually know.

>

If he simply said "disable smileys" you might have had a point but the context of the word makes the diffrence

"Let *us* disable" means that the community as individuals should be able to disable it and no person on earth is stupid enough to give an unorganized group of individuals the ability to disable something for everybody undemocraticly when it's entirely possible to disable said thing for each individual on their request.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > ?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

> > > > > >

> > > > > > /shrug

> > > > > > It’s still not their decision to make to decide whether or not a forum feature is useable by others.

> > > > >

> > > > > What are you on about? He wants ppl to be able to block smileys, not remove them. blocking them would mean the person that blocks them can't see them, ppl can still use/see them if they choose not to block them

> > > >

> > > > Actually he didn’t say block he said disable and he didn’t specify whether it was disable his ability to see or if it was disable the ability of the other posters to use.

> > >

> > > > 2 - please let us disable smilies.

> > >

> > > I hope you're not a native english speaker if his wording confused you on his meaning

> >

> > Block and disable are not the same words. Block on the forum means to make a person unable to see something. However disable, which I've never seen anyone ask for before doesn’t have a usual forum definition. A formal definition is “Disable : to make ineffective or inoperative.” If he meant block he would have been best served to use the word block. Not a word that means “make ineffective or inoperative”.

> >

> > Now if he meant block on his side then that’s fine. However I did ask in the original quote whether he meant block or if he meant disable, since as I’ve noted, he didn’t say and neither of us actually know.

> >

>

>

> If he simply said "disable smileys" you might have had a point but the context of the word makes the diffrence

>

> "Let *us* disable" means that the community as individuals should be able to disable it and no person on earth is stupid enough to give an unorganized group of individuals the ability to disable something for everybody undemocraticly when it's entirely possible to disable said thing for each individual on their request.

>

No he could disable it in threads he crate making it unusable for everyone in that thread so your context here dont help at all.

Edit

Reread and I understand you as a person think its unreasonable to ask for all smileys to be disabled but you cant say that this is not what the OP is asking for unless they state it themselfs.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > ?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Some ppl prefere emoticons over emojis, some hate looking at smilies because they are annoying

> > > > > >

> > > > > > /shrug

> > > > > > It’s still not their decision to make to decide whether or not a forum feature is useable by others.

> > > > >

> > > > > What are you on about? He wants ppl to be able to block smileys, not remove them. blocking them would mean the person that blocks them can't see them, ppl can still use/see them if they choose not to block them

> > > >

> > > > Actually he didn’t say block he said disable and he didn’t specify whether it was disable his ability to see or if it was disable the ability of the other posters to use.

> > >

> > > > 2 - please let us disable smilies.

> > >

> > > I hope you're not a native english speaker if his wording confused you on his meaning

> >

> > Block and disable are not the same words. Block on the forum means to make a person unable to see something. However disable, which I've never seen anyone ask for before doesn’t have a usual forum definition. A formal definition is “Disable : to make ineffective or inoperative.” If he meant block he would have been best served to use the word block. Not a word that means “make ineffective or inoperative”.

> >

> > Now if he meant block on his side then that’s fine. However I did ask in the original quote whether he meant block or if he meant disable, since as I’ve noted, he didn’t say and neither of us actually know.

> >

>

>

> If he simply said "disable smileys" you might have had a point but the context of the word makes the diffrence

>

> "Let *us* disable" means that the community as individuals should be able to disable it and no person on earth is stupid enough to give an unorganized group of individuals the ability to disable something for everybody undemocraticly when it's entirely possible to disable said thing for each individual on their request.

>

After what I’ve read on the forum I’m not about to dogmatically say that someone means something when they haven’t said so themselves. If you feel confident in your ability to know exactly what other people meant when they didn’t specify then have a round of applause.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> >

> > ?

>

> no, im asking for the option to disable smilies.

But are you asking for them to be hidden on your end, so if someone else uses a smiley you don't see it, or only see what they actually typed? So :) becomes : )

Or do you want to stop everyone using them in your topics? Or on the whole forum?

> @"Mourningcry.9428" said:

> > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > 1 - please let us add more poll questions after we've published the poll.

>

> Skews the results.

>

> Better to learn to take the time to structure the poll before posting.

>

> Granted, given the kitten-tastic quality of the past polls, that'd be asking too much.

>

so if someone makes a mistake, god forbid, they have to make an entirely new poll or live with an incomplete one? wouldn't you say living with an incomplete poll is a lot more skewing then adding a question half way through? whats the big deal. its not like people cant go back and vote for what they want if they didn't vote already.

> > 3 - please let us delete our own posts.

>

> Same as above.

>

> Take the time to structure a post before posting. And accept the consequences of whatever you do post.

>

so what ive been doing is this since I cant delete my post:

sdgdfhdfjdfhdjsfd

is this necessary?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > I can see the first and third but why ask to disable smilies? It’s not like they make you use them and if you’re asking to disable for others, that’s not your decision to make.

> > >

> > > ?

> >

> > no, im asking for the option to disable smilies.

>

> But are you asking for them to be hidden on your end, so if someone else uses a smiley you don't see it, or only see what they actually typed? So :) becomes : )

>

> Or do you want to stop everyone using them in your topics? Or on the whole forum?

I rephrased the OP. didn't think it was that confusing but hey that's me from time to time.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > @"Mourningcry.9428" said:

> > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > 1 - please let us add more poll questions after we've published the poll.

> >

> > Skews the results.

> >

> > Better to learn to take the time to structure the poll before posting.

> >

> > Granted, given the kitten-tastic quality of the past polls, that'd be asking too much.

> >

>

> so if someone makes a mistake, god forbid, they have to make an entirely new poll or live with an incomplete one? wouldn't you say living with an incomplete poll is a lot more skewing then adding a question half way through? whats the big deal. its not like people cant go back and vote for what they want if they didn't vote already.

No I wouldn't say that.

At the very most basic level, poll results are a reflection of the questions posed, the answers offered, the population queried and the time conducted. It should be pretty clear how altering any of those basic attributes whilst the poll is being conducted can skew the results significantly.

As far as going back and changing a vote, I don't know what functionality these forums offer, but usually it's a one and done vote. No take backs. It would also assume that if a person didn't vote they would be inclined to revisit the poll, or somehow could be made aware that options had changed.

Simple example:

Q: Which ice cream do you prefer?

A - Chocolate

B - Vanilla

Joe actually likes Cherry Garcia... but since the questions asked which of the two he prefers, he answers Chocolate, since he does truly prefer chocolate over vanilla.

Now you add Option "C - Other (please specify)". Now, it's no longer the same poll, and no longer reflects the true opinion of it's population as Joe would not have ansered the way he did.

Or how about if you added "D - None of the above"... How would Joe have answered now?

Simply put, put the time upfront to understanding what you're asking, and then take the time to understand the results of the question asked.

> > @"Mourningcry.9428" said:

> > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > 3 - please let us delete our own posts.

> >

> > Same as above.

> >

> > Take the time to structure a post before posting. And accept the consequences of whatever you do post.

> >

>

> so what ive been doing is this since I cant delete my post:

> sdgdfhdfjdfhdjsfd

> is this necessary?

The better questions is was the original post necessary? Obviously if it needs to be deleted it wasn't.

If you're finding yourself constantly needing to delete posts, perhaps it might be worth considering why and what's causing that, rather than having to "sdgdfhdfjdfhdjsfd" all the time. No?

Edit - Grammar

> > > @"Mourningcry.9428" said:

> > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > 1 - please let us add more poll questions after we've published the poll.

> > >

> > > Skews the results.

> > >

> > > Better to learn to take the time to structure the poll before posting.

> > >

> > > Granted, given the kitten-tastic quality of the past polls, that'd be asking too much.

> > >

> >

> > so if someone makes a mistake, god forbid, they have to make an entirely new poll or live with an incomplete one? wouldn't you say living with an incomplete poll is a lot more skewing then adding a question half way through? whats the big deal. its not like people cant go back and vote for what they want if they didn't vote already.

>

> No I wouldn't say that.

>

> At the very most basic level, poll results are a reflection of the questions posed, the answers offered, the population queried and the time conducted. It should be pretty clear how altering any of those basic attributes whilst the poll is being conducted can skew the results significantly.

>

> As far as going back and changing a vote, I don't know what functionality these forums offer, but usually it's a one and done vote. No take backs. It would also assume that if a person didn't vote they would be inclined to revisit the poll, or somehow could be made aware that options had changed.

>

> Simple example:

> Q: Which ice cream do you prefer?

> A - Chocolate

> B - Vanilla

>

> Joe actually likes Cherry Garcia... but since the questions asked which of the two he prefers, he answers Chocolate, since he does truly prefer chocolate over vanilla.

>

> Now you add Option "C - Other (please specify)". Now, it's no longer the same poll, and no longer reflects the true opinion of it's population as Joe would not have ansered the way he did.

>

> Or how about if you added "D - None of the above"... How would Joe have answered now?

>

> Simply put, put the time upfront to understanding what you're asking, and then take the time to understand the results of the question asked.

>

> > > @"Mourningcry.9428" said:

> > > > @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> > > > 3 - please let us delete our own posts.

> > >

> > > Same as above.

> > >

> > > Take the time to structure a post before posting. And accept the consequences of whatever you do post.

> > >

> >

> > so what ive been doing is this since I cant delete my post:

> > sdgdfhdfjdfhdjsfd

> > is this necessary?

>

> The better questions is was the original post necessary? Obviously if it needs to be deleted it wasn't.

>

> If you're finding yourself constantly needing to delete posts, perhaps it might be worth considering why and what's causing that, rather than having to "sdgdfhdfjdfhdjsfd" all the time. No?

>

> Edit - Grammar

I suppose the only way to have the ability to add another poll option would be to add the ability to revote, which would be cool I guess. would that skew the results? I dunno. its nice to be able to correct a mistake.

about being able to delete a post. "The better questions is was the original post necessary?" no that's the whole point. im not finding myself constantly needing to delete posts. it happens every once and a while and it would be nice to remove it entirely so people don't have to deal with the clutter.

I find myself squinting a lot of the time. Heck, even the whole forum is made of bright white. Perhaps the ring is corrupting me, and my soon my light sensitivity will force me into the roots of the world where I hunt Gobbo children, and they don't taste too nice. *smack* No, they do not.

But Vistas ending with a flash of white light as if I just died, drifted off to heaven, and immediately got there with 1st degree burns on my retinas? No me gusta. Is this a thing for others?

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"The Night Fox.6018" said:

> I find myself squinting a lot of the time. Heck, even the whole forum is made of bright white. Perhaps the ring is corrupting me, and my soon my light sensitivity will force me into the roots of the world where I hunt Gobbo children, and they don't taste too nice. *smack* No, they do not.

>

> But Vistas ending with a flash of white light as if I just died, drifted off to heaven, and immediately got there with 1st degree burns on my retinas? No me gusta. Is this a thing for others?

As we have a *lot* of forum members, you can imagine that opinions vary wildly about the whole forum presentation. Some say "too bright" and some say "not bright enough" and some say "just right." Ok, all Goldilocks and the Three Bears references aside... ;) You are definitely not the first person who's shared such thoughts, although few do it with such clever cultural references. ;)

At the present time, we're not able to offer alternative options for viewing, but if I recall correctly, one of our forum members posted about a way to switch colors to a dark background. I believe you'll find their posts in this thread.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"The Night Fox.6018" said:

> > I find myself squinting a lot of the time. Heck, even the whole forum is made of bright white. Perhaps the ring is corrupting me, and my soon my light sensitivity will force me into the roots of the world where I hunt Gobbo children, and they don't taste too nice. *smack* No, they do not.

> >

> > But Vistas ending with a flash of white light as if I just died, drifted off to heaven, and immediately got there with 1st degree burns on my retinas? No me gusta. Is this a thing for others?

>

> As we have a *lot* of forum members, you can imagine that opinions vary wildly about the whole forum presentation. Some say "too bright" and some say "not bright enough" and some say "just right." Ok, all Goldilocks and the Three Bears references aside... ;) You are definitely not the first person who's shared such thoughts, although few do it with such clever cultural references. ;)

>

> At the present time, we're not able to offer alternative options for viewing, but if I recall correctly, one of our forum members posted about a way to switch colors to a dark background. I believe you'll find their posts in this thread.

Thanks, Ms. Gray.

I currently use a chrome extension app called "dark mode". No problem with visibility, but some sites' aesthetic freaks out. Not trying to hash on the devs or forum, just expression.

Would be nice to see warns deleted in profile -> moderation after a certain time. Also would request sometimes, where it's clearly not an infraction, to have our comment removed without warn. Got mine removed recently and warned whereas was perfectly in the subject and helping another player, moderation is awful. Please, check the comments before removing them and adapt the response. Really discourage me from helping people, everytime I tried, got a warn.

> @"The Night Fox.6018" said:

> I find myself squinting a lot of the time. Heck, even the whole forum is made of bright white. Perhaps the ring is corrupting me, and my soon my light sensitivity will force me into the roots of the world where I hunt Gobbo children, and they don't taste too nice. *smack* No, they do not.

>

> But Vistas ending with a flash of white light as if I just died, drifted off to heaven, and immediately got there with 1st degree burns on my retinas? No me gusta. Is this a thing for others?

If you are interested, I have a dark theme for the forums that is available in multiple colors that does more than just change the colors of the forums - it also re-organizes/re-designs/re-structures nearly all of the forum pages.

I noted my theme over in the Players Helping Players sub-forum with some images and links to the full Imgur galleries (also available via my signature). The theme is completely done using CSS to change how the forum pages look, so you can use the Stylus add-on for Chrome and just create a theme in it for the forums using the theme's CSS code.

* [https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/52386/gw2-forum-theme-dark-redesign-available-in-multiple-colors-css-pics](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/52386/gw2-forum-theme-dark-redesign-available-in-multiple-colors-css-pics "https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/52386/gw2-forum-theme-dark-redesign-available-in-multiple-colors-css-pics")

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > some say "not bright enough"

>

> I've never seen anyone say that.

I had a vampire break into my apartment last night. Thankfully I was on the gw2 forums at the time and so I just turned my tablet at them. Got the broom and dustpan out and that was that.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > some say "not bright enough"

> >

> > I've never seen anyone say that.

>

> I had a vampire break into my apartment last night. Thankfully I was on the gw2 forums at the time and so I just turned my tablet at them.

I see what you did there, the forums are as bright as the sun, I actually have a sun tan yet I never go outside.

• 2 weeks later...