I don't use discord

> @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > I read this thread 7 times and still can't understand why it's here and not in OP's guild forums.

> > >

> > > I like to hear other peoples points of view. .

> >

> > Are you going to show this to your leaders to convince them to change guild rules? :dizzy:

>

> No. I don't want them to know at all. By making discord only messages and discord "invites" they are intentionally leaving out the user-base that doesn't use it. So that people who don't use it will always be left on the out, leaving people further and further behind even if I used discord. I play the game with no sound on.

It sounds like you want too remove discord and force all too use in game chat (support this idea if it was meant to use voice chat it would be in game) but since i cant talk so is my view but also this dont really hurt you too have ore not for voice chatt is optional in everyway i use discord as text chat for example. But its conviniant if they use discord to bring news since its hard to get info from someone if its planned outside game othetwise and havinh to write 50 mails take hours

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > I read this thread 7 times and still can't understand why it's here and not in OP's guild forums.

> > >

> >

> > Are you going to show this to your leaders to convince them to change guild rules? :dizzy:

>

> No. I don't want them to know at all. By making discord only messages and discord "invites" they are intentionally leaving out the user-base that doesn't use it. So that people who don't use it will always be left on the out, leaving people further and further behind even if I used discord. I play the game with no sound on.

They are not leaving people out, people are choosing to not partake. Its an important difference.

If someone wants the guild leader to type out individual in game mail messages to each of a guild's (potentially) 500 members each time they need to post a message, they need to be prepared to pay him to be GL as a full time job.

> I like to hear other peoples points of view. .

It's clear you're _reading_ other points of view. Are you willing to change your mind based on what other people are writing? There's some stellar advice in this thread, some really good insight into why some guilds choose to use _Discord_, and how someone who doesn't use a mic can work things out with those that do. And yet you keep saying the same thing: you don't use Discord and you expect that no one should expect you to.

You know what OP? You made a lot of complains on how guild is run. If you don't like those guilds, why you even try to join them in the first place? Are you not the one that is the problem here? Common sense dictate that if the guild is not suitable, you find a guild that is suitable. However, you chose to complain about them? The hell?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > I like to hear other peoples points of view. .

>

> It's clear you're _reading_ other points of view. Are you willing to change your mind based on what other people are writing? There's some stellar advice in this thread, some really good insight into why some guilds choose to use _Discord_, and how someone who doesn't use a mic can work things out with those that do. And yet you keep saying the same thing: you don't use Discord and you expect that no one should expect you to.

I feel like your just saying Use discord or be quiet. I am considering all points of view. I considered using discord. I don't even play with the sound on. I can join discord, use it the text app. I feel like they're going say _"Hey can you hear us?"_ I'll be like no. I don't play with a headset. I play with the sound off.. It just gong to frustrate me. I can do that.

Why would they want you to join discord if their just going to use the text based app. They could do that in game. Couldn't they?

I have people living next door in a fouplex. I am a very quiet person. I don't want to disturb them. Is that the point of view you want me to consider? using discord? I felt like I considered it.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> >

> > It's clear you're _reading_ other points of view. Are you willing to change your mind based on what other people are writing? There's some stellar advice in this thread, some really good insight into why some guilds choose to use _Discord_, and how someone who doesn't use a mic can work things out with those that do. And yet you keep saying the same thing: you don't use Discord and you expect that no one should expect you to.

>

> I feel like your just saying Use discord or be quiet.

I feel as if you didn't read what I wrote. I have no stake in whether you use Discord or not. If you don't want to use, don't. But why is it so hard to accept that other people want to use it or that other people want everyone in their community to use it?

> I can join discord, use it the text app.I feel like they're going say _"Hey can you hear us?"_ I'll be like no. I don't play with a headset. I play with the sound off..

I don't understand the issue. You tell them your preference. They'll accept it, or they won't. If they do, great. If they don't, it's not the community for you; your interests, goals, and preferences differ.

> Why would they want you to join discord if their just going to use the text based app. They could do that in game. Couldn't they?

No. If you read the rest of the thread, you'll see all sorts of things that people do on Discord that they can't provide in the game.

> I have people living next door in a fouplex. I am a very quiet person. I don't want to disturb them.

That's very polite of you. Or you could use headphones.

> Is that the point of view you want me to consider?

You considered that point of view before you posted here. I'm asking you to consider the points of view of the people who do use Discord.

Here's the deal: if you are fixed on the idea that you have to run the game completely silently, whether out of noble consideration of your neighbors, personal preference, or because you're unable to hear sounds (as some players are), no problem. Don't use voice communication software.

At the same time, be willing to accept that other people find value in talking to each other while playing and having a tool that they can use to collaborate & communicate whether or not everyone is in game or not. There are plenty of guilds out there that don't care for voice and playing the game doesn't require it.

It's a social tool, not a required one.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > > I like to hear other peoples points of view. .

> > >

> > > It's clear you're _reading_ other points of view. Are you willing to change your mind based on what other people are writing? There's some stellar advice in this thread, some really good insight into why some guilds choose to use _Discord_, and how someone who doesn't use a mic can work things out with those that do. And yet you keep saying the same thing: you don't use Discord and you expect that no one should expect you to.

> >

> > I feel like your just saying Use discord or be quiet.

> I feel as if you didn't read what I wrote. I have no stake in whether you use Discord or not. If you don't want to use, don't. But why is it so hard to accept that other people want to use it or that other people want everyone in their community to use it?

>

> > I can join discord, use it the text app.I feel like they're going say _"Hey can you hear us?"_ I'll be like no. I don't play with a headset. I play with the sound off..

> I don't understand the issue. You tell them your preference. They'll accept it, or they won't. If they do, great. If they don't, it's not the community for you; your interests, goals, and preferences differ.

>

> > Why would they want you to join discord if their just going to use the text based app. They could do that in game. Couldn't they?

> No. If you read the rest of the thread, you'll see all sorts of things that people do on Discord that they can't provide in the game.

>

> > I have people living next door in a fouplex. I am a very quiet person. I don't want to disturb them.

> That's very polite of you. Or you could use headphones.

>

> > Is that the point of view you want me to consider?

> You considered that point of view before you posted here. I'm asking you to consider the points of view of the people who do use Discord.

>

> ****

> Here's the deal: if you are fixed on the idea that you have to run the game completely silently, whether out of noble consideration of your neighbors, personal preference, or because you're unable to hear sounds (as some players are), no problem. Don't use voice communication software.

>

> At the same time, be willing to accept that other people find value in talking to each other while playing and having a tool that they can use to collaborate & communicate whether or not everyone is in game or not. There are plenty of guilds out there that don't care for voice and playing the game doesn't require it.

>

> It's a social tool, not a required one.

I wouldn't even know how to join a channel. I used it a long time ago for one thing. I never used them ever after that. I could use discord. But I can't talk on the mic. I didn't know this guild was like this till after joining them. I was/am new to the game and just accepted invites. I really don't want to leave them. I was just planning to silently play the game with them attached as my guild but not joining them for any events that use discord.

I've mentioned to you how a user here was trying to help me? have I? no. This user wanted to help me in game. I gladly accepted. However they wanted send me screen grabs on discord. For some reason It won't show web cam or screen grabs on browser. So I re-installed it using full discord app. I still couldn't see any screen grabs or webcam. They than asked me to use skype. Same result, I got an "error message" it frustrated me so badly.

I can try using discord again. That's your point of view to use it.

>I feel like they're going say _"Hey can you hear us?"_ I'll be like no. I don't play with a headset. I play with the sound off.. It just gong to frustrate me. I can do that.

>

They wouldn't ask this because voice + text channels are seperate. You don't need to be in a voice channel. No one is going to ask if you can hear them if you're clearly not somewhere you can hear them. You don't have to join their discord but all your reasons for not wanting to make very little sense because it's been explained multiple times that you do not have to be in the voice channel to be in discord.

> Why would they want you to join discord if their just going to use the text based app. They could do that in game. Couldn't they?

>

Because it allows for information to be posted PERMANENTLY. It allows for organization when people can't be in game. It allows for communication and getting to know people outside of game because they feel like as a guild, this is important to them.

Everyone has given all of these answers already. **You are not listening.**

The views are self evident. Just like rep, guilds can set discord as requirement. Perhaps they want more people to use discord during events, perhaps they use discord as a form of forums, perhaps it is easier to consolidate information on one place. Perhaps....etc.

Regardless, the views are self evident. You are simply viewing it in a personal self entitled perspective, perspective where it resolve around one self. You need to learn to see beyond yourself.

On a side note, what makes you think they (your guild) won't chance upon this thread and saw your name?

Edit: On another side note, you are also cutting yourself (social wise) away from people you claim you want to know more about. Everything is self evident, you need to think harder.

In-game Chat (Guild chat etc):

* Resets each time you log in and out, if I post "Dungeons on friday!" and you log in 5 minutes after, you won't see it.

* There are no good ways of sending in-game messages to many players, or all members of a guild.

* There is no good way to post guides/info, since it resets every time you log out.

* you can't click links in in-game-chat

* you can't clikc or view images or videos or other media in in-game-chat

* You can only talk with whoever is online, and can't contact anyone that is offline.

These are limitations, that makes running a guild difficult. So to get around those, people look to other programs (Forums, Facebook, TeamSpeak/Discord etc).

And I haven't even mentioned the VoiceChat. Because that isn't the most important part.

---

You could arguably get around *some* of those limitations by using the guilds "Message of the Day" (persistent, still can't click links nad have to manually type out links etc into your browser). The in-game mail system (other limits, no good options for sending to multiple people, inbox limits etc).

But in effect you just end up spending more time doing things in cumbersome ways, to accomplish less. And frankly, it gets annoying to deal with all those systems, when it still doesn't come close to all the features of those I mentioned above.

---

Here is what I do:

I use Discord:

* I've muted the microphone, and never turn it on. (own button)

* I've muted the sound, and never turn it on. (own button)

* I don't bother joining the VOICE CHANNELS

* I join the TEXT CHANNELS

* I use this as a normal text chat, where I can talk with people both in and out of the game.

* I can send and click on links, images, videos etc (Which means someone can send me a video guide to some content, instead of listening to people explain over voice)

* And most importantly for me, it means I can talk with my guild(s) even when not in the game (since I'm burned out and taking a break these days).

Honestly, the in-game chat is just too limited by todays standards.

> > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > Let's see now...

> >

> > 1) Wait for entire guild to log into the game to see a message about an event and then send you emails to sign up, which is limited at 10 mails and your inbox is instantly full. If you reply or just send mail you don't even see who you sent mail to, when you sent it, if sending was successful etc... Imagine trying to send a message to entire guild via in game mail system. One by one. Not to mention character limit per mail as well.

> >

> > 2) Make a channel on Discord where everyone can see it whenever they have time, no need to even log into game. They can post to sign up and all info is in the same place from entire guild. Can post long posts, videos, pictures, format your posts properly and much more. Posts stay there, no need to delete them to make space for more posts.

> >

> > Hhhmmm

>

> I just don't agree with making a message on discord where everyone cans see it. There are some people who log into discord or have one and don't see the message because they don't do discord. Those people who haven't joined discord or signed into it, wouldn't see it. You are leaving those members out.

I'm sorry, but I don't know if you don't understand or you choose not to for the sake of argument. I gave you explanation above why Discord is a lot easier to use in-game "tools" to manage events and guild. My guild runs couple of events, which I can't possibly properly explain and advertise in game because it is way too limited there. It's painful and time wasting nightmare. So, why should I bother and waste my time to do that in game for those few people who can't be bothered to use Discord and still even I did, it wouldn't be as nice, efficient and properly formatted as on Discord. Why?

You are unreasonable. If this is a problem, simply find another guild. Joining guilds is optional and no one forced you to join a guild that you don't like or don't agree with their rules or expectations. Complaining about community, which is completely OPTIONAL to join, about how they run their things and it's not to your liking.... lol

> @"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:

> > > @"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:

> > > The voice chat is not really for the people to talk in most situations where its used. Of course there is social time for that, but that is up to the people using it for that. The main reason for voice chat is to listen maybe ask a question or two to make sure what the leader wants. Think about it like this how long does it take to type instructions for a dungeon or raid or even a guild mission would take longer than the mission of course. With voice chat it just takes a few seconds more actual play time. Discord is being used more because of its quality and its free to use. It also lets you join several guilds easily switching between them. I suggest trying it out you can still play and listen you do not even have to talk.

> >

> > But Why put sign ups only in discord basically saying. You need that to play the game?

>

> If you want to do more than run around like a chicken with its head cur off. It comes in handy when some things take coordination. It is a nice tool for leaders to say what needs to be done in whatever a team is doing. I play a lot without it also, but I know I cannot do a raid without following a leaders advice that know what they are doing.

>

You might need to listen to a leaders advice to do Raids, but only until you've learned the mechanics and rotations...once anyone has learned those it most likely can be done from memory, without any instructions or advice...unless of course your memory is so bad that you have short and long-term memory loss.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > I read this thread 7 times and still can't understand why it's here and not in OP's guild forums.

> > > >

> > > > I like to hear other peoples points of view. .

> > >

> > > Are you going to show this to your leaders to convince them to change guild rules? :dizzy:

> >

> > No. I don't want them to know at all. By making discord only messages and discord "invites" they are intentionally leaving out the user-base that doesn't use it. So that people who don't use it will always be left on the out, leaving people further and further behind even if I used discord. I play the game with no sound on.

>

> They are not leaving people out, people are choosing to not partake. Its an important difference.

>

> If someone wants the guild leader to type out individual in game mail messages to each of a guild's (potentially) 500 members each time they need to post a message, they need to be prepared to pay him to be GL as a full time job.

Not necessarily, depending on how long the message needs to be or is you can use the daily Guild message for that purpose...and everyone in the guild would/should see it upon logging in or repping that particular guild...that however would not necessarily work for asking people to sign-up for something. Also, copy and paste works for a message so they only have to type it out once, then copy and paste it to each member...granted that's a hell of a lot of work, but it's certainly faster than typing it out 500 times.

> I feel like your just saying Use discord or be quiet. I am considering all points of view. I considered using discord. I don't even play with the sound on. I can join discord, use it the text app. I feel like they're going say _"Hey can you hear us?"_ I'll be like no. I don't play with a headset. I play with the sound off.. It just gong to frustrate me. I can do that.

>

>

> I have people living next door in a fouplex. I am a very quiet person. I don't want to disturb them. Is that the point of view you want me to consider? using discord? I felt like I considered it.

>

Forget about the whole voice chat thing. It's not even relevant here, since you said your guild uses Discord for sign ups. Look at it like a messageboard, or a newsletter. You check it every day to see if any activities are planned, and if you want to join in you type "Count me in", for instance. The game doesn't have an option for that. Guild chat only works if you're online, the history it shows is limited and disappears again once you go offline. Not suitable for reaching a guild, but only visibly online people at that time. The guild message of the day has a limited amount of characters you can use, so messages would have to be short and leave very little room for any additional information. Also, if you post a sign up for Raids in the weekend (as an example), post it on Monday, and on Wednesday you want to organize a Fractal run, you'd have to change that message of the day and the sign up for the weekend is gone. Discord also doesn't have this problem.

You are just creating problems that might not even occur, just because technically there is a possibility for it. Yes, Discord has a voice chat section, doesn't mean your guild uses it or even requires it. And as long as you keep your mouth shut to your guild mates, you will never ever know what could've been. But if you're so deadset against Discord, then any discussion here is over, right? You won't find any new viewpoints anymore. It has all been said, repeatedly.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > So I asked the guild and they said guild voice would only be required on guild missions and guild runs. So I think that means I can stay there.

>

> There you go. Now, I hope you won't be afraid to go to them directly again if there are any future concerns.

Many of the posts here were very kind and respectfully. I appreciate that. It seemed like some were intentionally trying to be mean. I don't see why people need to get hostile. Yes I have anxiety. I wish I didn't and I'm not comfortable with social situations as others. I just wish everyone could agree and disagree respectfully.

> > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > So I asked the guild and they said guild voice would only be required on guild missions and guild runs. So I think that means I can stay there.

> >

> > There you go. Now, I hope you won't be afraid to go to them directly again if there are any future concerns.

>

> Many of the posts here were very kind and respectfully. I appreciate that. It seemed like some were intentionally trying to be mean. I don't see why people need to get hostile. Yes I have anxiety. I wish I didn't and I'm not comfortable with social situations as others. I just wish everyone could agree and disagree respectfully.

There was really only one person in particular who took it upon themselves to be needlessly rude. I think some of us posters were definitely getting frustrated because we weren't sure if any of the advice being given was being taken seriously, but I also think most of the discussion here (even those who were disagreeing) was healthy. But try not to dwell on that part of this. Be proud of yourself for stepping out of your comfort zone and talking to your guild about this issue. Use that as a stepping stone to being more comfortable with expressing yourself to other players in-game.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> > > > So I asked the guild and they said guild voice would only be required on guild missions and guild runs. So I think that means I can stay there.

> > >

> > > There you go. Now, I hope you won't be afraid to go to them directly again if there are any future concerns.

> >

> > Many of the posts here were very kind and respectfully. I appreciate that. It seemed like some were intentionally trying to be mean. I don't see why people need to get hostile. Yes I have anxiety. I wish I didn't and I'm not comfortable with social situations as others. I just wish everyone could agree and disagree respectfully.

>

> There was really only one person in particular who took it upon themselves to be needlessly rude. I think some of us posters were definitely getting frustrated because we weren't sure if any of the advice being given was being taken seriously, but I also think most of the discussion here (even those who were disagreeing) was healthy. But try not to dwell on that part of this. Be proud of yourself for stepping out of your comfort zone and talking to your guild about this issue. Use that as a stepping stone to being more comfortable with expressing yourself to other players in-game.

It is and I did consider. That's what made me ask in guild chat. I just don't respond to comments on a point by point. I just silently absorb and mull it over. I am proud of myself. You would be surprised. How isolated I am from people in the real world. Than you'd understand why even doing that was difficult for me. Not nearly as bad as I imagined.

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > The reason they use them simply is the provide far better functionality than what the game does, with the added bonus of linking players in a guild when not in game. Guild websites used to do this more as a widespread too., but these days discord etc is just better set up, especially with the mobile access too.

> > > >

> > > > Im not a big fan of these things despite being a user at times, but the advantages to guilds are pretty massive compared to limitations the game provides.

> > >

> > > I had a bad stuttering problem in school. It's gone away now. Kids were not kind to me. I talk much easier just in-game chat. I prefer only in-game chat. Someone on here was wanting to help me. I said yea sure. They wanted to show me screenshots of discord on their webcam

> > >

> > > . Took two hours, it didn't work. They tried to get me install Skype. I tried that didn't work. Leaving me overly frustrated. I'd prefer only in-game chat if I could.

> >

> > Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable reason not to want to use it. I would have a private word with an officer, but if it helps, no guild I've ever associated with has ever pushed for compulsory voice chat.

>

> It feels like it. Twice a guild officer had encouraged me to use discord in PM's. I went so far to tell them my discord ID but they want me to add them to discord. Should I just leave the guild?

???????????

Why do people threat or feel insecure over talking to others via a Mic?

> @"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > The reason they use them simply is the provide far better functionality than what the game does, with the added bonus of linking players in a guild when not in game. Guild websites used to do this more as a widespread too., but these days discord etc is just better set up, especially with the mobile access too.

> > > > >

> > > > > Im not a big fan of these things despite being a user at times, but the advantages to guilds are pretty massive compared to limitations the game provides.

> > > >

> > > > I had a bad stuttering problem in school. It's gone away now. Kids were not kind to me. I talk much easier just in-game chat. I prefer only in-game chat. Someone on here was wanting to help me. I said yea sure. They wanted to show me screenshots of discord on their webcam

> > > >

> > > > . Took two hours, it didn't work. They tried to get me install Skype. I tried that didn't work. Leaving me overly frustrated. I'd prefer only in-game chat if I could.

> > >

> > > Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable reason not to want to use it. I would have a private word with an officer, but if it helps, no guild I've ever associated with has ever pushed for compulsory voice chat.

> >

> > It feels like it. Twice a guild officer had encouraged me to use discord in PM's. I went so far to tell them my discord ID but they want me to add them to discord. Should I just leave the guild?

>

> ???????????

>

> Why do people threat or feel insecure over talking to others via a Mic?

Have you never heard of Social Anxiety? It can be incredibly crippling.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > @"Icemanfrost.5428" said:

> > > > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > > The reason they use them simply is the provide far better functionality than what the game does, with the added bonus of linking players in a guild when not in game. Guild websites used to do this more as a widespread too., but these days discord etc is just better set up, especially with the mobile access too.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Im not a big fan of these things despite being a user at times, but the advantages to guilds are pretty massive compared to limitations the game provides.

> > > > >

> > > > > I had a bad stuttering problem in school. It's gone away now. Kids were not kind to me. I talk much easier just in-game chat. I prefer only in-game chat. Someone on here was wanting to help me. I said yea sure. They wanted to show me screenshots of discord on their webcam

> > > > >

> > > > > . Took two hours, it didn't work. They tried to get me install Skype. I tried that didn't work. Leaving me overly frustrated. I'd prefer only in-game chat if I could.

> > > >

> > > > Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable reason not to want to use it. I would have a private word with an officer, but if it helps, no guild I've ever associated with has ever pushed for compulsory voice chat.

> > >

> > > It feels like it. Twice a guild officer had encouraged me to use discord in PM's. I went so far to tell them my discord ID but they want me to add them to discord. Should I just leave the guild?

> >

> > ???????????

> >

> > Why do people threat or feel insecure over talking to others via a Mic?

>

> Have you never heard of Social Anxiety? It can be incredibly crippling.

Yes. I can understand this meeting people irl as I sometimes get a bit "flustered" but behind a pc screen I thought it would be a bit more relaxed