Swim Speed Infusion +30 overgrind

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swim-Speed_Infusion_%2B10

"The amount needed for larger infusions is similar to agony infusions, where the next size up requires 2 of the size below it. The formula for the amount of +10 infusions needed for a +n Swim-Speed Infusion is 2^(n - 10), and the amount of coin needed for the same infusion is 448 x 2^(n - 11) copper."

"Therefore the total cost for the Swim-Speed Infusion +30 (the current largest) is 2^(30 - 10) = 1,048,576 Swim-Speed Infusion +10 and 448 * 2^(30 - 11) = 234,881,024 copper (23,488g, 10s, 24c)"

"1,048,576 Swim-Speed Infusion +10"

"23,488g, 10s, 24c"

"23,488g, 10s, 24c"

"23,488g, 10s, 24c"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNyKDI9pn0Q

Edit-

"It's obvious that this item is based on being a long-term goal, even if it is a little rediculous. For comparison:

• It takes 220 +10 infusions to reach the +30 infusion.

• That is a total of 1.048.576 +10 infusions.

• If you were to get an average of 3 infusions a day, it would take you 349.525 (and a third) days.

• At the time of calculation, it would take ~943k gold to buy it all (and the price has gone up right now)

• Even assuming the price would go down, you'd need 10,4k gold if the +10 infusions would drop to 1 silver.

• You'd lose 1% of swimming speed (presumably) for half the cost of all this.

It's a little overtuned, don't worry about it, although it would be nice to know if this huge investment was intended. Only the richest of tp barons even stand a chance of reaching this infusion, and that is while buying up most of, if not all, the listings. If you want to make your main as powerful as possible, stop earlier. For comparison, at the current price, it would cost ~921 gold in order to get the +20 infusion."

“Earlier today a friend came to me and pointed out that in order to maximize the swim speed infusion, it seems to require over 1 million of the new swim speed infusions.

Calculation:

* +10 Swim Speed Infusion x32 ->

* +15 Swim Speed Infusion x32 ->

* +20 Swim Speed Infusion x32 ->

* +25 Swim Speed Infusion x32 ->

* +30 Swim Speed Infusion

= 32 ^ 4 = 1,048576

According to the wiki, the drop rate from the daily chest indicates they can be acquired at a rate of 0-4 (Avg 2) per day.

At an acquisition rate of 2 per day, and 365 days per year, we can calculate that it will take 1,436 years to achieve the maximum level swim speed infusion. I'm sure that my great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren will appreciate getting to their locations faster when they are playing GW2 on their retro-gaming simulators, but for the rest of us mortals this type of reward seems, to put it lightly, quite poorly tuned.

Is this correct? Even if the drop rates for this item were 100 times higher, it would seem like excessive grind.”

Save yourselves the headache and gold, and just slot some of these in your pve gear for the potential future "water world" maps...

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Speed

(1): +25 Vitality

(2): +10% Swiftness Duration

(3): +50 Vitality

(4): 25% chance when struck to gain swiftness for 15 seconds. (Cooldown: 30s)

(5): +100 Vitality

(6): +20% Swiftness Duration; +25% Movement Speed

*Get 7 and slot 1 in your aqua breather.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Traveler

(1): +8 to All Stats

(2): +5% Boon Duration

(3): +12 to All Stats

(4): +10% Boon Duration; +10% Condition Duration

(5): +16 to All Stats

(6): +25% Movement Speed

*Get 7 and slot 1 in your aqua breather.

Now you can swim at +25 without waiting 1,436 years or spending thousands in gold...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The max keys per day is 10 and the max infusions per chest is 4 **right? ** I mean, if its actually possible to grind 10 keys in a day, thats like 26k days getting the max value off of each key without taking into account the time it takes to find them LOL. Its not like they nerfed several wvw achievements that would take like 50 years of gameplay to complete or anything, lets just add some 72 years at best!

Sometimes i wonder if they think before adding this stuff to the game, cuz by the look of it, they don't.

> @"Ziooo.8932" said:

>** The max keys per day is 10** and the max infusions per chest is 4 **right? ** I mean, if its actually possible to grind 10 keys in a day, thats like 26k days getting the max value off of each key without taking into account the time it takes to find them LOL. Its not like they nerfed several wvw achievements that would take like 50 years of gameplay to complete or anything, lets just add some 72 years at best!

>

> Sometimes i wonder if they think before adding this stuff to the game, cuz by the look of it, they don't.

How do you get 10 keys per day? I managed to get 2 on the first day (1 from NPC + 1 from daily 10/10 krait kills), but now I'm likely down to 1 per day from the daily. If they're from mob drops, what's the likelyhood of those? I have yet to see any dropped by mobs after this patch went live.

Regardless of a minor mistake in the OP's assumptions, the Swim+30 infusion is a complete arbitrary & unnecessary goal. The OP could, if they wanted, try to craft a +30 Agony Infusion. It would require half a million AR+1 and end up being worth over 14 million gold all told. It would be useful, since AR contributes to stats when used with fractal potions, but no one considers doing it seriously because the benefits aren't worth the costs.

Similarly, there's no reason to craft a Swim+30 infusion, so the high costs mentioned by the OP are just as meaningless. It's an arbitrary stopping place; ANet could just as well have had the vendor offer to make up to Swim+25 or Swim+35.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Regardless of a minor mistake in the OP's assumptions, the Swim+30 infusion is a complete arbitrary & unnecessary goal. The OP could, if they wanted, try to craft a +30 Agony Infusion. It would require half a million AR+1 and end up being worth over 14 million gold all told. It would be useful, since AR contributes to stats when used with fractal potions, but no one considers doing it seriously because the benefits aren't worth the costs.

>

> Similarly, there's no reason to craft a Swim+30 infusion, so the high costs mentioned by the OP are just as meaningless. It's an arbitrary stopping place; ANet could just as well have had the vendor offer to make up to Swim+25 or Swim+35.

But I didn't make any mistakes.. Just pointing out the craziness of it... As a matter of fact, I would be correct in calling it an "overgrind", regardless of "needing" it or not.

Also, we don't "need" to play GW2 either, much in the way we don't "need" to craft that infusion, but that's besides the point.

You should listen to Celine Dion's beautiful voice in that video btw, it's quite enchanting.

> Regardless of a minor mistake in the OP's assumptions, the Swim+30 infusion is a complete arbitrary & unnecessary goal. The OP could, if they wanted, try to craft a +30 Agony Infusion. It would require half a million AR+1 and end up being worth over 14 million gold all told. It would be useful, since AR contributes to stats when used with fractal potions, but no one considers doing it seriously because the benefits aren't worth the costs.

>

> Similarly, there's no reason to craft a Swim+30 infusion, so the high costs mentioned by the OP are just as meaningless. It's an arbitrary stopping place; ANet could just as well have had the vendor offer to make up to Swim+25 or Swim+35.

I see your point, but at the same time AR is typically spread out across multiple items while the swim speed is going to be put on an aquabreather by most people (since using it on more things means sacrificing the more useful infusions) so it would make sense for it to be a little cheaper to make. Right now I am just curious how much of a swim speed difference they make.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> But I didn't make any mistakes..

You can craft the Swim+15, Swim+20, Swim+25, and Swim+30 without going through the intermediate steps. Cost is 72 silver instead of 32*4.5 silver. It adds up to major gold savings in reaching Swim+30, but it's dwarfed by the cost of the Swim+1, which is why I didn't want to digress the thread to point out the details.

> As a matter of fact, I would be correct in calling it an "overgrind", regardless of "needing" it or not.

That would be like saying it's _overgrind_ to try to earn 10000 gold for the confetti infusion by doing non-stop Silverwastes — it's just as arbitrary & unnecessary a goal. So no, I don't agree.

> Also, we don't "need" to play GW2 either, much in the way we don't "need" to craft that infusion, but that's besides the point.

No, that's exactly the point: you're focused on the unimportant Swim+30 infusion, rather than noticing how affordable it has become to get significant underwater speed boosts.

Other arbitrary goals include trying to obtain Fractal God by fractal farming 16 hours/day, obtaining every legendary weapon in a month, and so on. It's a goal, sure, but it's not something with each any of us mortals need to concern ourselves.

Again, imagine whether the game would be any different for anyone if ANet only allowed the vendor to combine up to Swim+15 or Swim+20.

> You should listen to Celine Dion's beautiful voice in that video btw, it's quite enchanting.

Thanks, no.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> I see your point, but at the same time AR is typically spread out across multiple items while the swim speed is going to be put on an aquabreather by most people (since using it on more things means sacrificing the more useful infusions) so it would make sense for it to be a little cheaper to make.

My point is that we don't need Swim+30 to do anything, not any more than we need AR+30. Although, you're right: three AR+10 is as good as one AR+30, but, as far as I've seen, that's not true for three Swim+10.

> Right now I am just curious how much of a swim speed difference they make.

Ditto: I'm waiting for someone to publish comparisons.

I received 8 of the +4 swim infusions since this "daily" went live. Today I got 2 of the +10, so I went back to find where those 8 were. Surprise! Surprise! They have disappeared from my bank. What happened, Arenanet???? All I can find in my bank and on all of my characters are the 2 infusions I just got!

Every infusion I get I'll sell, I'm not going to grind for 2 years only to to put a + 30 swim infusion on a **silly** soap bubble, as a matter of fact it's always been easy to fight even without a breather. If all breathers look this bad we should have the option to make it invisible like shoulder pads. B)

> > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > But I didn't make any mistakes..

> You can craft the Swim+15, Swim+20, Swim+25, and Swim+30 without going through the intermediate steps. Cost is 72 silver instead of 32*4.5 silver. It adds up to major gold savings in reaching Swim+30, but it's dwarfed by the cost of the Swim+1, which is why I didn't want to digress the thread to point out the details.

>

>

> > As a matter of fact, I would be correct in calling it an "overgrind", regardless of "needing" it or not.

> That would be like saying it's _overgrind_ to try to earn 10000 gold for the confetti infusion by doing non-stop Silverwastes — it's just as arbitrary & unnecessary a goal. So no, I don't agree.

>

> > Also, we don't "need" to play GW2 either, much in the way we don't "need" to craft that infusion, but that's besides the point.

> No, that's exactly the point: you're focused on the unimportant Swim+30 infusion, rather than noticing how affordable it has become to get significant underwater speed boosts.

>

> Other arbitrary goals include trying to obtain Fractal God by fractal farming 16 hours/day, obtaining every legendary weapon in a month, and so on. It's a goal, sure, but it's not something with each any of us mortals need to concern ourselves.

>

> Again, imagine whether the game would be any different for anyone if ANet only allowed the vendor to combine up to Swim+15 or Swim+20.

>

> > You should listen to Celine Dion's beautiful voice in that video btw, it's quite enchanting.

> Thanks, no.

>

> ****

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > I see your point, but at the same time AR is typically spread out across multiple items while the swim speed is going to be put on an aquabreather by most people (since using it on more things means sacrificing the more useful infusions) so it would make sense for it to be a little cheaper to make.

> My point is that we don't need Swim+30 to do anything, not any more than we need AR+30. Although, you're right: three AR+10 is as good as one AR+30, but, as far as I've seen, that's not true for three Swim+10.

>

> > Right now I am just curious how much of a swim speed difference they make.

> Ditto: I'm waiting for someone to publish comparisons.

>

>

Not sure what you are trying to point out here?

I quoted the wiki and made a comment about “overgrind”. I was correct about that info.

You want to correct me by saying there is a cost savings by crafting it through the 15/20/25 process... Yet that’s still a grind and huge sticker price... saying “cost savings” doesn’t elimate the overgrind.

Saying “unimportant” and not “needed” doesn’t make the process any less of a grind or less costly.

Are you of the mind set that you want to defend this decision to make these infusions extremely time consuming and costly? If so, ok great, you’re entitled to feel that way.

I don’t care about any comparisons you are trying to make. This is not about the confetti infusion. This isn’t about the Chak infusion. This is not about fractal ar infusions... this is about these particular items, not related to any other item(s), or requirements to obtain said item(s) in the game.

We are all welcome to disagree, and it’s healthy to have different views, but if your basic underlying argument is... “it’s not needed, so quit complaining because there are other costly and time consuming items in game”... I don’t think that’s a strong counter argument.

Edit- And I’m going to make an assumption here, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong... You seem to keep your fingers on the economy pulse, and I get the feeling you work the market for gold, so if you prefer this type of reward structure so you can benefit from sales of “unimportant” items, then just say so.

It's obviously there as a gold sink for players with far, FAR too much gold on their hands to go for. Since these infusions apparently stack with Swiftness and other speed boosts, even the +10 alone coupled with Swiftness enables you to outrun PvE mobs as easily as you would on land with a mount (and you have the benefit of your full health pool too!). Plus, I'm fairly confident that if/when we have an underwater expansion to go fight Bubbles, we'll more than likely see an underwater mount too, rendering this infusion almost meaningless.

> @"Hybarf Tics.2048" said:

> Every infusion I get I'll sell, I'm not going to grind for 2 years only to to put a + 30 swim infusion on a **silly** soap bubble, as a matter of fact it's always been easy to fight even without a breather. If all breathers look this bad we should have the option to make it invisible like shoulder pads. B)

Sounds like a good idea to me. The demand and price will probably drop quite soon, so make hay while the sun shines.

As for anyone spending the time or gold to grind this up, well good luck to them too, it seems like an insane waste of time to me.

They should have just added a +25% swim speed infusion for laurels. Or better yet, just increased everyone's swim speed by a flat percentage. But ArenaNet love their sinks.

i and the rest of the communtiy want an **UNDERWATER MOUNT**ANET!!!! not this swim speed thing. How hard is it really in **PoF** to get an underwater mount?!?!?!?

This right here is **ANET logic**. Reasons why i hate the direction this game has gone.

I'd dump REAL MONEY on new underwater mount skins, but instead you annoy me with a huuge grind for something that seemed so obvious and profitable for you, i'm about to lose my mind . :( whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy anet whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :(

_Though I'd still bet with **ANET logic** They'll dump a underwater mount ingame later on down the road after people have grinded for hours **(just to keep players active)**_

I see your evil plans anet. You can't fool me. :)