Living World Season 3 Complete pack Dicount Question.

This is regarding the pricing of Living World Season 3 Complete pack which is currently at 68% off. I own 3 of them already but the gems link says I have to pay 384 gems which is the discount of the full 6 episodes. As I understand it you get a pro-rata discount if you already own episodes. So using maths, the usual price for 3 episodes is 600 gems I should have to pay 192 gems for the remaining 3. Is that right? So how does it work cause I dont want to pay 384 gems for 3 episodes but Ill pay 192 for them?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> 1200x0.32=384gems thats 6 episodes at 68% discount

>

> I have 3 episodes so 600x0.32=192 gems I dont know how you got to "closer to 300". Maths doesnt work in terms of 'closer' to's.

I hopped onto one of my other accounts. The price you see is for the remaining episodes. The 384 gems is correct for the three that you need.

The discount includes the episodes that you don’t need to buy.

How so? I even wrote the maths out in my last post. Why dont you pull out the calculator and check ?

I simply noticed the discount price being rather close to the price of 2 episodes when it shouldve been closer to the price of 1 being greater than a 66% discount, so I doubled checked. Thats when I discovered that they gave me the 'discount' price of all 6 rather than 3 (they even say they adjusted the price based on the episodes I already owned which they clearly didnt). Write some maths down if you want to comment man I think youre confused atm.

> @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> How so? I even wrote the maths out in my last post. Why dont you pull out the calculator and check ?

>

> I simply noticed the discount price being rather close to the price of 2 episodes when it shouldve been closer to the price of 1 being greater than a 66% discount, so I doubled checked. Thats when I discovered that they gave me the 'discount' price of all 6 rather than 3 (they even say they adjusted the price based on the episodes I already owned which they clearly didnt). Write some maths down if you want to comment man I think youre confused atm.

The discount you see for either season includes the episodes that you already own. What you’d trying to do is apply the discount twice.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_2_Complete_Pack

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack

Ok. Ignore the facts presented to you.

If LS3’s full price was 1,000 gems, and it had 10 episodes, it would show up at 50% in the gem store for 500 gems if you had half of them already. You would not get an additional 50% off of that 500 gems which you’re trying to do here.

What Ayrilana is trying to tell you is that the price that is displayed reflects the price for all episodes. Apparently the gem shop can't figure out the math until you go to purchase. If I recall correctly, you can see the correct net price when you confirm the purchase (before any gems are deducted).

In other words, don't ignore "that guy", they gave you a serious (and accurate) answer. (To be fair, the situation is confusing.)

Well I had to buy 400 gems just to check and I clicked the link to buy but its still saying I need to pay 384 gems. I dont want to hit confirm, cause I reckon I will have to pay 384 at this point. I reckon this is bugged and need to get sorted out.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> The discount you see in the gem store includes the episodes you currently own having been removed.

>

> Actually, based on the wiki, I dare say that the discount is being calculated incorrectly unless there’s a secondary discount being applied as it should be 480 gems (160x3).

The usual price for all 6 episodes purchased as a bundle is 960 gems, reduced by 160 for each episode already owned. This is a 20% discount.

It appears that there is a further 20% discount being applied (96/480) due to the sale. This seems more usual to me than the OP's calculated 68% discount. I can't currently access the store to see what level of discount is being promoted.

Just a little maths

384/1200 = 32% - thus yes 68% less than the original package (which is shown as a discount on the sales page)

980 is the standard value with 20% off

490 is value of the 3 episodes you are missing

384/490 = 80% thus you getting an additional 20% off the originally 20% discounted value

I think the system always shows the discount from the original package and does not show the different steps.

So yes you are getting an additional discount but its is not 68%

Think this has caused debates most times there has been discounts on items that already have discounts or reductions as not getting all the parts.

> @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> Interestingly season 2 complete gives me a 36% discount. Exactly what im getting from the 3 season 3 episodes im missing. [here](https://ibb.co/cKV3Oy "https://ibb.co/cKV3Oy")

It looks like it's meant to be a 36% discount, as I literally just bought all of LWS3 for 768 (I had no access to any episode, so had to buy all 6.)

So now you're being told it's 68% off, because you already have half the episodes, so you're only paying half the price (768/2 = 384)

It's confusingly worded, I'll admit - the shop does seem to imply that you're meant to be getting 68% off and THEN a further 50% for only having to buy half the episodes, however the actual sale discount is only 36%

Edit: to further clarify, the usual price for 3 episodes is 600, yes. Take a 36% sale price off that and you get 384.

If you only had a third of the episodes, then you'd be shown it as having a... 54% discount, I think - if my math is right.

Basically the store is already combining the sale price AND the "I have half of them already" discount.

The game should not dynamically calculate the discount like that (it makes no sense). A discount refers to the SAVINGS not an arbitrary value. So if we are talking about the usual price, which is 600 gems for 3 episodes the savings works out to be 36% which is what should be advertised as the discount. The discounted price of all the episodes combined is correctly advertised as 36% and if they can be purchased one at a time at the discounted price then the discount would apply pro-rata. The other way of thinking about it is nonsense.

> @"eldrjth.7384" said:

> The game should not dynamically calculate the discount like that (it makes no sense). A discount refers to the SAVINGS not an arbitrary value. So if we are talking about the usual price, which is 600 gems for 3 episodes the savings works out to be 36% which should be advertised discount. The discounted price of all the episodes combined is 36% and if they can be purchased one at a time the discount simply applies pro-rata. The other way of thinking about it is nonsense.

>

>

I'll agree with you on that, I think it's slightly misleading. However, and I can't confirm because I don't have anything in the store I can test it on, I think it's an automatic calculation? Perhaps in non-sale scenarios it would tell you 50% off anyway? So there's something working in the background.

The discount isn’t an arbitrary value. The percentage shown in the store is how much you’re currently saving off the full price. Having the percentage saved per episode makes sense when purchasing them individually but the item being talked about here is for the entire season.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> The discount isn’t an arbitrary value. The percentage shown in the store is how much you’re currently saving off the full price. Having the percentage saved per episode makes sense when purchasing them individually but the item being talked about here is for the entire season.

The OP has a point. He (or "she", isn't clear - for simplicity I'll stick with "He", sorry) isn't getting a 68% discount on the thing he's buying. He's buying half of the season, and yet the discount percentage is being calculated as if the discounted half-season price is discounted from the full-season price.

The progression of the price is:

* 1200 for all six episodes reduced by 36% to 768, as @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said.

* 768 as the discounted price then reduced by half to 384 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

OR it is:

* 1200 for all six episodes reduced by half to 600 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

* 600 as the reduced price is then discounted by 36% to 384 because the discount is 36%.

The store then calculates the size of the reduction from 1200 to 384, and this is *numerically* correct at 68%, BUT it is not *semantically* correct. His discount is 36%, the same as chris's.

So the final price is correct (see: @"chrisjfinlay.5614"'s post), but the discount is only numerically correct. It would be better for the store to show the discount relative to the 600 gem full price of the shortened list of episodes. (Perhaps also with the crossed-out pre-discount price shown as 600, and some extra text noting that the pre-discount price is reduced from 1200 to 600 because of the things the OP already owns.)

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > The discount isn’t an arbitrary value. The percentage shown in the store is how much you’re currently saving off the full price. Having the percentage saved per episode makes sense when purchasing them individually but the item being talked about here is for the entire season.

>

> The OP has a point. He (or "she", isn't clear - for simplicity I'll stick with "He", sorry) isn't getting a 68% discount on the thing he's buying. He's buying half of the season, and yet the discount percentage is being calculated as if the discounted half-season price is discounted from the full-season price.

>

> The progression of the price is:

> * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by 36% to 768, as @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said.

> * 768 as the discounted price then reduced by half to 384 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

>

> OR it is:

> * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by half to 600 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> * 600 as the reduced price is then discounted by 36% to 384 because the discount is 36%.

>

> The store then calculates the size of the reduction from 1200 to 384, and this is *numerically* correct at 68%, BUT it is not *semantically* correct. His discount is 36%, the same as chris's.

>

> So the final price is correct (see: @"chrisjfinlay.5614"'s post), but the discount is only numerically correct. It would be better for the store to show the discount relative to the 600 gem full price of the shortened list of episodes. (Perhaps also with the crossed-out pre-discount price shown as 600, and some extra text noting that the pre-discount price is reduced from 1200 to 600 because of the things the OP already owns.)

If I buy a season for 500 gems when it costs 1,000 gems, and it’s because I already own half the episodes, I’m saving 50% on that gem store item.

The season unlock is a single item and not six (or eight) individual items. Players receive a discount for each episode that they currently own for a particular season. As I brought up in the previous paragraph, ignoring any other discounts, a player purchasing a living story season unlock, while owning half the season, will receive a 50% discount on that item.

Now if the episodes were sold individually, it would make more sense to show the 36% discount which is what each episode is currently valued at.

The price for the Living World Season 3 Complete Pack, which is being discussed here, is 960 gems. This is a hard fact.

The price is then reduced by 160 gems for each episode already owned. This can hardly be counted as anything but a discount.

Apparently there is now a percentage discount applied to the derived purchace price, further reducing the price of the pack.

The key point here is that the base price for the complete pack is 960 gems, any reduction from that is by definition a discount. This makes the statement factually correct.

However, I can agree that it seems illogical the way it's being presented. But again, since the "usual" pice is already discounted you get a discount on a discount, so that throws logic a bit off.

The discount % is certainly misleading and probably unintentionally so. It's not a 68% discount but a 36% one as others have said (or perhaps more accurately, 20% off for buying the bundle, then the bundle is presumably discounted for another 20%. Wiki suggests the normal price is 1200 discounted to 960). It -should- display 600 gems discounted to 384 gems. But instead it compares the discounted price to the price of the entire season (1200 gems) without consideration for having owned parts already. One of the bundles I purchased recently from Blizzard worked similarly - it lowered the price based on how many parts of the bundle you already owned and as a result the % discount from buying the bundle was disproportionately higher than it should have been. It didn't cost me more to buy it, it just made it appear as if I was getting a significantly better deal (because you see -68% and think Wow! Even though the discount is about half).

Unless my (very old) school math is decieving me, 384 is 40% of 960. That means the displayed discount is 60% off from the base price of the complete package. If we assume that the 8 is really a zero (completely plausible considering the fact that a zero with strikethrough font is very similar to an 8) then the displayed discount is in fact correct compared to the base price of the entire package.

I can't verify since I I don't have the option to buy this discounted package, but I have no reason to assume it's not correct. It still comes out a bit odd, but since it's several discounts added on top of each other it's imo not misleading.

> @"Zohane.7208" said:

> Unless my (very old) school math is decieving me, 384 is 40% of 960. That means the displayed discount is 60% off from the base price of the complete package. If we assume that the 8 is really a zero (completely plausible considering the fact that a zero with strikethrough font is very similar to an 8) then the displayed discount is in fact correct compared to the base price of the entire package.

>

> I can't verify since I I don't have the option to buy this discounted package, but I have no reason to assume it's not correct. It still comes out a bit odd, but since it's several discounts added on top of each other it's imo not misleading.

It’s 68% as it’s based off of the 1200 cost.

What’s a part of the displayed discount:

* The reduction to 960 from 1200

* The reduction from each owned episode (160 ea)

* An additional 20% on top of that as first pointed out by Astraea

The issue some people are having is that they’re not seeing the season unlock as a singular item. They’re seeing it as multiple items, which it is not, and thinking it should be displayed as if it were.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > The discount isn’t an arbitrary value. The percentage shown in the store is how much you’re currently saving off the full price. Having the percentage saved per episode makes sense when purchasing them individually but the item being talked about here is for the entire season.

> >

> > The OP has a point. He (or "she", isn't clear - for simplicity I'll stick with "He", sorry) isn't getting a 68% discount on the thing he's buying. He's buying half of the season, and yet the discount percentage is being calculated as if the discounted half-season price is discounted from the full-season price.

> >

> > The progression of the price is:

> > * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by 36% to 768, as @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said.

> > * 768 as the discounted price then reduced by half to 384 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> >

> > OR it is:

> > * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by half to 600 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> > * 600 as the reduced price is then discounted by 36% to 384 because the discount is 36%.

> >

> > The store then calculates the size of the reduction from 1200 to 384, and this is *numerically* correct at 68%, BUT it is not *semantically* correct. His discount is 36%, the same as chris's.

> >

> > So the final price is correct (see: @"chrisjfinlay.5614"'s post), but the discount is only numerically correct. It would be better for the store to show the discount relative to the 600 gem full price of the shortened list of episodes. (Perhaps also with the crossed-out pre-discount price shown as 600, and some extra text noting that the pre-discount price is reduced from 1200 to 600 because of the things the OP already owns.)

>

> If I buy a season for 500 gems when it costs 1,000 gems, and it’s because I already own half the episodes, I’m saving 50% on that gem store item.

(CAVEAT: what follows in the next paragraph assumes a season of six episodes.)

I would dispute that definition of "saving 50%", because you're not paying less for the same thing (six episodes). Instead, they are giving you the same price-per-episode for just three. Well, maybe you are *saving* that 50%, but it *isn't* a discount. And even if it is, there are effectively two discounts in @"eldrjth.7384"'s case, and it's confusing to fuse them into one.

Ultimately, though, I think that what I said right there goes to the very heart of the issue: it is confusing to show all the discounts fused into one. For reference, one is the sale price discount (20%), one is the "already owned some" discount (50%), and one (it appears) is a 'buying whole season" discount (20%). This fusion is what brought the OP to the conclusion that something was up: it *looks* like a single 68% sale-price discount accompanied by some words that suggest that this will be further reduced by the fraction of already-owned episodes. Nothing in the image posted by @"eldrjth.7384" explains that the price shown *already* includes all three parts of the fused discount, especially the "already owned some".

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > The discount isn’t an arbitrary value. The percentage shown in the store is how much you’re currently saving off the full price. Having the percentage saved per episode makes sense when purchasing them individually but the item being talked about here is for the entire season.

> > >

> > > The OP has a point. He (or "she", isn't clear - for simplicity I'll stick with "He", sorry) isn't getting a 68% discount on the thing he's buying. He's buying half of the season, and yet the discount percentage is being calculated as if the discounted half-season price is discounted from the full-season price.

> > >

> > > The progression of the price is:

> > > * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by 36% to 768, as @"chrisjfinlay.5614" said.

> > > * 768 as the discounted price then reduced by half to 384 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> > >

> > > OR it is:

> > > * 1200 for all six episodes reduced by half to 600 because the OP is only buying half the episodes.

> > > * 600 as the reduced price is then discounted by 36% to 384 because the discount is 36%.

> > >

> > > The store then calculates the size of the reduction from 1200 to 384, and this is *numerically* correct at 68%, BUT it is not *semantically* correct. His discount is 36%, the same as chris's.

> > >

> > > So the final price is correct (see: @"chrisjfinlay.5614"'s post), but the discount is only numerically correct. It would be better for the store to show the discount relative to the 600 gem full price of the shortened list of episodes. (Perhaps also with the crossed-out pre-discount price shown as 600, and some extra text noting that the pre-discount price is reduced from 1200 to 600 because of the things the OP already owns.)

> >

> > If I buy a season for 500 gems when it costs 1,000 gems, and it’s because I already own half the episodes, I’m saving 50% on that gem store item.

>

> (CAVEAT: what follows in the next paragraph assumes a season of six episodes.)

>

> I would dispute that definition of "saving 50%", because you're not paying less for the same thing (six episodes). Instead, they are giving you the same price-per-episode for just three. Well, maybe you are *saving* that 50%, but it *isn't* a discount. And even if it is, there are effectively two discounts in @"eldrjth.7384"'s case, and it's confusing to fuse them into one.

>

> Ultimately, though, I think that what I said right there goes to the very heart of the issue: it is confusing to show all the discounts fused into one. For reference, one is the sale price discount (20%), one is the "already owned some" discount (50%), and one (it appears) is a 'buying whole season" discount (20%). This fusion is what brought the OP to the conclusion that something was up: it *looks* like a single 68% sale-price discount accompanied by some words that suggest that this will be further reduced by the fraction of already-owned episodes. Nothing in the image posted by @"eldrjth.7384" explains that the price shown *already* includes all three parts of the fused discount, especially the "already owned some".

It’s a discount as it’s a reduction in price to that particular gemstore item. A discount isn’t necessary an indication of a sale.

There is a large difference between a single item (season unlock) and multiple items (season episodes). Each could have different discount percentage.

Edit: Not to divert to semantics but

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discount

Someone that sees only 36% listed will be confused when the price that they see is not 36% of the full price. They’ll be further confused when the price they see is different from the price they see when they try to buy it. Anet is simply fully disclosing how much of a discount players are getting when they purchase the season unlock item(s).

What people need to realize the the season unlock item(s) and the episodes you can purchase individually are not the same thing. The episodes themselves have the reported 36% discount. Since the season unlock is a package deal, it includes other discounts such as for episodes that are already owned.